ADVERTISEMENT

If Cal had won the title in 2015

...and everything else since had played out exactly the same, game for game...

How differently would you look at him? Would he be getting a longer leash from the fans?

Without question he would be getting a longer leash. I mean he would be the only UK coach besides Rupp to win multiple titles. Plus 40-0, greatest team of all time not even up for debate. Not only that but dook would have one less title. He would be seen as a God here, even after all that’s transpired.

Instead he blew the game, and every important game since.

How differently would you look at him? Would he be getting a longer leash from the fans?
That's a good question, have wondered that myself as well.

The leash may be slightly longer, but championship or not in 2015, the results post 2015 speak for themselves.

Speaking for myself, I would still be ready for Cal to move on. Would probably be much more appreciative of his accomplishments here, which would include a perfect season...but would still be ready for him to go.

There would still be griping no doubt, but some folks who’ve been in the middle would give him more leeway. He would be the second coach to have multiple titles at UK and would’ve accomplished something pretty amazing with 40-0. It also would’ve taken a title away from Duke.

Will never get over 2015. Cal should have left after that year IMO. That was his peak at Kentucky. Could have ****ed off to a NBA role somewhere and went out on top. Right before the game changed to the modern 3 point and space and pace style of play the warriors created that year.

It would certainly be different had he sealed the deal in 2015. He would still have criticism in the post 2015 years but a title that year plus a historic undefeated season would make it less harsh and he would be in a spot no UK coach has been in since Rupp with multiple titles.

Reactions: UK19 and Zissou87
Yes, #2 for him would have made a difference not only with fans but more importantly with Cal. I think that loss took more out of him than it did the fans. And, we all know how that felt.

Reactions: UK19
I'd still want him gone, if everything else remained unchanged. UK basketball is about a lot more than titles, and Cal's falling short in all categories. I'd appreciate him more than I do now, maybe, but would still be ready for a change because I know that he'll never win another.

We would definitely have given him more slack but that wouldn’t have excused 2 years ago nor losing to St. Pete last year. Likely, he would have retired or moved on after 2015 because you could never top that again.

Considering the talent he had I don't know how he didn't win a title that year, but it would help, one title is okay but two puts him in a entirely new category.

• Love
Reactions: UK19

If he won that title, be almost surely retires or goes to the NBA. Jmo.

I think he fully intended on taking that cavs job in 2014 until all those guys decided to come back and he knew he could legit make a run at a perfect season.

2 titles instead of 1 would go a long way, but I think most of us would still be pretty disgruntled over the last several years.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
If a frog had wings.....
If Bo Ryan didn't nut him and keep his balls in his sock drawer...

E8sQesJ.jpg

He didn't win it all in 2015 because of many of the same issues we take note of today (e.g., strange rotations). If those issues weren't a problem in 2015 then they wouldn't be an issue now. Cal is Cal and will always be Cal. This exercise in revisionist history focuses on the fan reaction when the real issue is Cal's coaching.

Last edited:
2015 we didn’t win because the better back court was in the bench but then again the twins had more experience deep in the tournament.

Reactions: Zissou87
When Wisconsin’s coaches discussed pulling 24-7 shifts going over game film, plays, strategies, etc., and Cal said they didn’t do any of that, he died to me that day. He’s not a warrior, he’s a good salesman, nothing more, not someone you want in your trench!

Last edited:
That's a good question, have wondered that myself as well.

The leash may be slightly longer, but championship or not in 2015, the results post 2015 speak for themselves.

Speaking for myself, I would still be ready for Cal to move on. Would probably be much more appreciative of his accomplishments here, which would include a perfect season...but would still be ready for him to go.
This I agree. 10-12 yrs is all a coach needs at Ky. But greed has kept Cal here too long.

He would have a longer leash with most fans for sure, but I've been soured on Cal since the Elite 8 loss to Auburn because I read the tea leaves that not only was he not adapting to modern basketball, but that he was conscientiously rejecting change and doubling down, that he was a douche to and driving away players that fill a more modern niche like Jemarl Baker. He would later go on to drive away Juzang, Allen, Hopkins, etc, all players who Calipari tried to smash a square peg into a round hole.

I have unhinged reddit posts from 2020 saying that Kentucky will never win anything meaningful again while Cal is here because he will never change.

So I've been out on him longer than most and even if he won the 2015 title I would still be out on him because I want to win the next one and the next one, and every year Calipari has coached here for the past 4 years has been a wasted year of this program sitting in the basketball purgatory known as Late Stage Calipari.

I'd be lying if I told you that Cal hasn't done things that gave me hope or caused me to temporarily believe again over the past few years. Changing the coaching staff, huge change, landing top recruits again, huge change, being more open to shooting the three, good change. But time and time again the change just isn't enough to make a John Calipari coached team a title contender, and every year that Kentucky spends not contending for a title is a wasted year.

Don’t know about the buying more time part, but it would be nice to have that extra title.
Bottom line is it wouldn’t matter if the current staff consisted of James Naismith, Phil Jackson, Adolph Rupp, etc. the product on the floor has been crap for several years now and it’s inexcusable.
Coaches are fired every year for having seasons like CCC has strung together here. Take away his name and just look at the last five years and he’s fired.

40-0 and a 2nd title certainly buys you some grace over the next several years but if we end this season without making the tournament or even just winning is game or two that grace would have expired. You cant go this long at UK with the results we have had since 2019 especially considering his stubborn way of coaching and showing no signs of changing that ever.

Let Saban have 3-4 years of this type of results at bama and see if his head isn’t called for, hell some probably calling for it now already.

It would be starting to get pretty bad by now even if we won it in 2015. That’s how horrible 9-16 and last year was. And losing seven games before February.

He would deserve a bad back year. Even a game flopping and twitching like ratface would be tolerable if he won that title. At least I guess we can say our coach doesn’t fake a spasm to get out of doing his job. You gotta hand that to cal. Ratface make believe medical problems always appeared when he was losing

The program blew a once in lifetime chance to 40-0

Cal and the Harrison twins gagged the last 4 minutes

ADVERTISEMENT