ADVERTISEMENT

If Cal had won the title in 2015

...and everything else since had played out exactly the same, game for game...

How differently would you look at him? Would he be getting a longer leash from the fans?
Don't forget we were totally hosed by the refs in that game. That basket they allowed after the shot clock changed everything and it wasn't even close. We win if that was waived off IMO.

Of course. Greatest season in college basketball history. Everything else would have been gravy (although he probably would have left).

Or if the 2017 would have finished it off as well.

I would think he probably wasn’t going to win a third, but with an undefeated season under his belt there’s no leash absent NCAA violations or gross misconduct.

They all say YES, but the truth is this fan base wants a head on a stick if they suck for more than 1 year.

Yes to an extent. It still would be 8 years without a final 4…

but it also would have set standards even higher/impossible because you can’t top an undefeated season.

Instead, No one cares that we won 38 games. They only care that we lost 1.

If you 2015 won the title uk basketball would have never fallen off the map. Titles sell themselves and duke is still reaping off that 2015 title big time classes.

Don't forget we were totally hosed by the refs in that game. That basket they allowed after the shot clock changed everything and it wasn't even close. We win if that was waived off IMO.
We buried almost every team that year. It shouldn't have been that close. Cal abandoned the platoon and slowed things down and we became more vulnerable.

If only that had shot clock reviews back then like they do now. Kentucky would've won because that was clear as day still in his hands.

UK probably should've won in 2014 too if WCS was healthy.

Fox/Monk team would've won it all had that gotten past UNC. Whoever won that game was going to win it all.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I'd still want him to leave. It probably would have taken me a couple of extra years to start really thinking of that, so it might have been around 2020 or so vs 2018.

I keep saying, it's not just the wins and losses or the championships, but I'm also equally mad about what he's done to the UK program in other ways. And I'm mad about all the talent he had and squandered by not putting more effort into college basketball instead of the NBA and making dreams come true.

...and everything else since had played out exactly the same, game for game...

How differently would you look at him? Would he be getting a longer leash from the fans?
Yes, definitely. Two titles with all of the talent that he has recruited would be an acceptable floor given the slot machine nature of the NCAA tourney.

I love if statements.

If my grandma had wheels she would have been a bike.

Still infuriating that one certain rooferee was a common denominator in 2 of those games: 2015 vs. Wisconsin & 2005 vs. Michigan State. 😡
Don't forget UConn 2011 either...

269294792.gif

There would still be griping no doubt, but some folks who’ve been in the middle would give him more leeway. He would be the second coach to have multiple titles at UK and would’ve accomplished something pretty amazing with 40-0. It also would’ve taken a title away from Duke.
@WeWant9 answered it for me.

if I am being honest I probably wouldn't be any happier, but I'd be resigned to the idea he is the coach of Kentucky for several more years if he chose to do so.

But this is Kentucky - it basically boils down to the idea that you don't get future credit for past performance in coaching.

Once you hit the lows that Cal has hit, there is more reason to believe that trend will continue as their is to believe UK will return to the 2011-2015 years. Its not like 2012, 2013 NIT, bounce back year in 2014, amazing season in 2015. Its been a steady decline year over year.

Cal knew this going in, he told anyone that would listen that you get 10 years at this job and it burns you out.

For whatever reason ...cough...cough ...$$$$$$...cough...cough, he stayed beyond his expiration date, and what could have been an opportunity to be thought as the greatest coach since Rupp to coach at UK has turned into a legacy of gauging the damage he has done to the program and the most expedient way to stop the bleeding.

I'm not sure a 2015 championship, given that team *almost* achieved it, would change much.

Last edited:
I'll say no difference. He would be remembered differently but most would still be ready for a change and wonder what happened after 2015.

He would probably never have faced pressure again. In the end, that’s part of the reason the fans started turning. That team choked like possibly no other team in history and it all falls on Cal.

2015 was Cal’s last and final chance at a title at UK won’t ever sniff the final four or championship again!

ADVERTISEMENT