ADVERTISEMENT

I'd Forgotten John Pelphrey is at Bama

It sounds like if he leaves Alabama his wife and children will stay in Tuscaloosa. She doesn't want to go anywhere else. The lifestyle is more important

Or are obviously pitino followers. You forgot that.

Eh, I think it's an overblown statement about U.K. Guys under Pitino. I heard over and over how McCarty was just a Pitino guy, talked to him in Memphis when he came to town with the celtics. He went on and on about Cal for half an hour. Said he'd love to someday come back and coach with him.

It was a tough spot for those players to be put in, and they handled it better than I thought they would.

Plus Pitino is gone forever so the link to Louisville is over.

The camera flashed to him on the bench and it looked like he dropped an F-Bomb after that 2nd Nick Richards free throw to start the 2nd half.

Wish we could find a spot for him. But Cal just doesn't seem to work with guys that he's never worked with or knew previosuly.
Tony Delk was an assistant under Cal, and I don't think Cal had worked with him before, but I'm not sure. I agree with your general statement that Cal usually likes to work with people that he previosly knew. I understand and respect Cal's loyalty, but I hope he will be open to working with new people when it is in the best interest of the program.

Reactions: morgousky
I'd take him if we lose someone. As long as he isn't involved in the FBI stuff.

Yeah, it breaks my heart when former Cats come to Rupp on other teams. Can't imagine rooting against my old team, especially when my jersey is hanging in the rafters.

We need recruiters and Pel is not what I had in mind.

I think we aren't going to get the best recruits anymore like we were. We will get our share, but not a bunch of elite ones. I think coaching help might be more important than recruiters. That is if we do go toward more multi year players. We are getting outplayed by experienced lesser recruits in most every game with the players we have now.

I would love to see John come back home. He was at Florida when they won their two NC, so I think he knows something about recruiting. I thought Arkansas gave up on him to soon.

Agree. He did a nice job at Arkansas and deserved better from their admin.
I was telling a friend of mine the same thing during the game. I know his family so it's hard for me to be critical of him. I think he is a hell of an assistant coach myself.

He was a assistant to Billy the Kid at Fla when they had those great teams, I remember when he played high school ball in Ky and stayed at Ky when they was on probation , I have great respect for him..

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
If I'm not mistaken he has been a good recruiter over the years. I doubt he will ever be on our staff but I wouldn't mind it if he was.

He was probably a big part of helping Donovan improve at Florida and was even brought back for a second stint when the head coaching job didn't workout at Arkansas. Florida was really good while he was there the second time. They won the SEC three times and had 3 Elite Eights and a Final Four in those 5 years.

He was probably a big part of helping Donovan improve at Florida and was even brought back for a second stint when the head coaching job didn't workout at Arkansas. Florida was really good while he was there the second time. They won the SEC three times and had 3 Elite Eights and a Final Four in those 5 years.
Last time I talked to his dad he was still coaching at Florida. He's a hometown legend in Paintsville. People still talk about how good of a ball player he was in high school.

I would love to see John come back home. He was at Florida when they won their two NC, so I think he knows something about recruiting. I thought Arkansas gave up on him to soon.

According to Wikipedia, he was gone from there from 2002 to 2011. He helped Donovan build the foundation there and as I mentioned in my other post was there again when they were really good before Donovan left.

Great guy. Love his highlight clip in UK’s Rupp opening. He loves UK and played so smart and with passion. Wish we could find a spot at UK for him

ADVERTISEMENT