ADVERTISEMENT

Ian Jackson - Negative Fans to Blame? Or Something Else?

I disagree with whoever is supposedly saying that. I think every player signed to date is probably a better basketball player and will have a bigger impact next year than Jackson.

Lol yeah if he doesn't reclassify you nailed it.

Reactions: G-PIP
See some people on here and Twitter trying to place the blame for not getting Jackson on negative fans who drove him away. The real negative noise over the past couple weeks, however, has come from the national media. They're the ones who finally opened their eyes to what UK fans have been saying for a while now. So, while the negative chatter about Calipari has increased exponentially this month, it's not because of the fans - it's the national media. And if you don't believe me, we can make a list of all the writers and commentators that have jumped on Coach Cal recently. I'm not saying all this negativity is the reason Jackson chose UNC; what I am saying is don't lay this at the feet of the fans.
If he is that soft, he doesn't need to come here.....
And, we shouldn't want him to come here.

Cal said himself it was getting harder to play here. What message does that send?
Message says the head coach is fat, lazy, overpaid, stubborn, narcissistic and is clearly living in last century brand of ball...the elite game passed him by...

7zhOPXu.png

You'd have to be pretty naive to not see that all the negativity surrounding the program and rumors Cal is leaving had an impact of this recruitment. UK has been the favorite all along and now it's UNC.

Now, you can blame losing. You can blame Cal's perceived poor coaching. But yes, the reports about Cal to Texas and the anger and attacks from fans have contributed.

But hey, if Cal leaving is inevitable, we're gonna have to accept the fact that whatever recruiting class has signed will be gone with him. So, I'm sure many will accept this as a part of the solution.
Well he didn’t have to make a decision today. He could have waited to see how it played out . He says he was blown away by his North Carolina visit and felt like it was the place for him . I believe that is the reason he chose to commit to UNC.

Last edited:
Lol yeah if he doesn't reclassify you nailed it.
Lol. Yeah, you’re right that could be a trick response because he might stay in the 2024 class. But, of course, I meant if he did reclassify to the 2023 class and come to UK, I still think the 4 high school seniors signed to date would be better players and have a bigger impact for UK winning basketball games than Jackson for the 2023-24 year. Jackson reminds me of Hunter Sallis – and that’s not necessarily a knock on Jackson because I think Sallis will likely become a Pro. I just think Jackson is still way more potential than what his production would be in college next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: catben
Do I need to link every article/video of the countless bball analysts who have been saying that Cal *should* change his offense following the demonstrated results of the UT game lineup? Nevermind that he was forced to do what all us basketball bennies have been screaming about for months....

And the best part, several analysts also say they have a "wait and see" attitude that Cal will actually use the best roster because they--like us--are openly saying that they doubt Cal will make the obvious, necessary changes to run an effective modern offense.

I think that *might* affect a recruit's decision slightly more than a message board 🤷
The unknown of the program may have caused some thinking to do, but he went to North Carolina for other reason, people blaming the fans is a weak excuse
Do you REALLY think Ian Jackson knows this place exists?

Does he just read ours? Does he go to UNC’s? Arkansas?

And you think he made a major life decision based on which message board was the most positive?
Maybe not, who knows.

Maybe he makes it based on which fan base is the most negative. Or on NIL.

Who knows, he's only a junior in high school.

This might be our best recruiting since Hagan, Ramsey, and Tshiropaulis (sp) that didn't lose a game as seniors, closest game an 8 point win.

Maybe not, who knows.

Maybe he makes it based on which fan base is the most negative. Or on NIL.

Who knows, he's only a junior in high school.
Every fanbase is negative so saying he didn’t come here because of fans is a lazy ridiculous excuse

See some people on here and Twitter trying to place the blame for not getting Jackson on negative fans who drove him away. The real negative noise over the past couple weeks, however, has come from the national media. They're the ones who finally opened their eyes to what UK fans have been saying for a while now. So, while the negative chatter about Calipari has increased exponentially this month, it's not because of the fans - it's the national media. And if you don't believe me, we can make a list of all the writers and commentators that have jumped on Coach Cal recently. I'm not saying all this negativity is the reason Jackson chose UNC; what I am saying is don't lay this at the feet of the fans.
No, it’s the “fans.” We will have the same problem when we look for a coach.

• Haha
Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
This site is definitely a big problem. To say it ain't so is just a thoughtless river in Egypt. It has also been shown before that this site is a source of much of the information the media latches on to.
And losing, fighting publicly with the AD, throwing players under the bus is big help? Please. This forum reflects the condition of UK sports no more no less. The guy at the game with the sign was just the beginning.

It’s hilarious that people actually believe these boards and fan positivity or negativity affect recruiting. Every team in every sport has irrational and uneven fans. One day they love you and the next they don’t. It’s the nature of fans and arm chair athletes. If fan negativity and irrationality hurt recruiting then no one would have a team lol. What can you do for me or what can you pay me determines recruiting, pure and simple

I have no idea if negative fans had anything to do with his decision but the negative fans played right into Jeff Goodman and his type. That wonderful sign about Cal needing to go to Texas really fueled the media. After all, the hits and rags sales fuels all media accounts, it's dollars.

If you are a person who thinks negative recruiting isn’t a factor then you’re very naive.

I’m told the fans here have no power anyway.

Reactions: catben and UKortho
There’s a reason companies pay billions annually to social media influencers. Of course fans have impact. That’s why we should challenge people who try to spread rumors that aren’t true.

There’s a reason companies pay billions annually to social media influencers. Of course fans have impact. That’s why we should challenge people who try to spread rumors that aren’t true.
How are you going to determine which rumors are true?

Translation: “I want accountability from this team and staff, but I don’t want accountability for my behavior, when I’m criticizing the face of the program.”

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

ADVERTISEMENT