ADVERTISEMENT

Ian Jackson - Negative Fans to Blame? Or Something Else?

I know you have good intentions here. Whose brain? And who chooses this brain? No thanks. Freedom of speech isn’t going away.

I’m not even sure what argument you’re trying to make or how you got to free speech. I thought we were talking about the reality that social media does influence humans and that that is why we should challenge heresy and baseless rumors.

Reactions: UKortho
The fans had nothing to do with this decision. Good god some people love to blame BBN for everything.
It’s unbelievable how often our fans get blamed for stuff. I think most of the people that do that, they don’t know much about sports or they just don’t consider how fans are of major programs or franchises when they have bad losses or seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: catben
Couldn't have nothing to do with the Jordan brand and nil. He reclassifies, goes to the NBA a year early, and gets his own shoes.

You'd have to be pretty naive to not see that all the negativity surrounding the program and rumors Cal is leaving had an impact of this recruitment. UK has been the favorite all along and now it's UNC.

Now, you can blame losing. You can blame Cal's perceived poor coaching. But yes, the reports about Cal to Texas and the anger and attacks from fans have contributed.

But hey, if Cal leaving is inevitable, we're gonna have to accept the fact that whatever recruiting class has signed will be gone with him. So, I'm sure many will accept this as a part of the solution.
I’m guessing the kid had someone explain to him that Cal is a terrible coach and that any other program would be a better fit.

If UK basketball has a toxicity around it, then get rid of the coach. All will be well then.

Listen BBN it’s win or get out… It’s always been that way and always will. kY is a blue blood not just any other program including other blue bloods. We demand the best and deserve it ………
I’m not sure about the “deserve” part. That reeks of entitlement.

@ralphdaltonfan, I heard a college basketball podcast earlier in the year back around the time of the Champions Classic. If I remember correctly, I think Jason Jordan was one of three on the podcast, and I believe the other was an NBA scout. They said something to the effect that the overall class of 2023 was the weakest they have seen in the last 10 years. You obviously follow recruiting closely, have you seen or heard similar things?

I keep hearing about how next's year class is the greatest collection of basketball talent ever assembled. Didn't seem to bother any of them. The only people pushing this cockamamie 'negative fans did this' are the same folks that think UK basketball is all rainbows and unicorns. How about the kid just picked UNC cause of any number of reasons? You don't want negative fans??... don't have a someone that squanders talent, can't coach, and blames all his deficiencies on everything other than himself. Have a head coach that doesn't take shots at fans. Have a AD with balls, holds his coaches accountable, and doesn't had out moronic contracts. But hey, it's the fans' fault. STFU with that fact denying nonsense.
Post accomplished it's mission.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
See some people on here and Twitter trying to place the blame for not getting Jackson on negative fans who drove him away. The real negative noise over the past couple weeks, however, has come from the national media. They're the ones who finally opened their eyes to what UK fans have been saying for a while now. So, while the negative chatter about Calipari has increased exponentially this month, it's not because of the fans - it's the national media. And if you don't believe me, we can make a list of all the writers and commentators that have jumped on Coach Cal recently. I'm not saying all this negativity is the reason Jackson chose UNC; what I am saying is don't lay this at the feet of the fans.
I am not in the least bit bothered that we didn't land Jackson. Kentucky needs to stop bringing in extremely athletic players who can't shoot. Why? It is because Cal will never develop them beyond being extremely athletic. One of the worst things you can hear about a UK recruit; he is working on improving his shooting. Cal doesn't turn non-shooters into shooters; he turns shooters into non-shooters, for crying out loud.

Reactions: bigbluedon
You'd have to be pretty naive to not see that all the negativity surrounding the program and rumors Cal is leaving had an impact of this recruitment. UK has been the favorite all along and now it's UNC.

Now, you can blame losing. You can blame Cal's perceived poor coaching. But yes, the reports about Cal to Texas and the anger and attacks from fans have contributed.

But hey, if Cal leaving is inevitable, we're gonna have to accept the fact that whatever recruiting class has signed will be gone with him. So, I'm sure many will accept this as a part of the solution.
If losing recruits is what it takes to get rid of Cal, it is worth it. Sometimes it is necessary to lose a toe to save a foot.

@ralphdaltonfan, I heard a college basketball podcast earlier in the year back around the time of the Champions Classic. If I remember correctly, I think Jason Jordan was one of three on the podcast, and I believe the other was an NBA scout. They said something to the effect that the overall class of 2023 was the weakest they have seen in the last 10 years. You obviously follow recruiting closely, have you seen or heard similar things?
It's not a great class but everyone loves to run down every class. Very few are as deep as say the '16 class that provided numerous elite players. I think Kentucky got a very strong group for this class and guys who will be good players. Edwards has a chance to be an elite player if he can get more consistent with his jumper but he does so many things well.

Worst won I've seen was '19 recently. That was thin with not a lot of talent.

Reactions: kmohawk
Well right now the fans want Cal to leave.......... of course that has an effect on recruiting but we all signed up for this when we decided we want cal to move on. So the sunshine pumpers that want Cal to stay can blame me and the other 70% of UK fans that want Cal to move on...... we dont give a f***... if we have our way, this kid would have opened up his recruitment anyways after Cal retires.

Reactions: bigbluedon
ADVERTISEMENT