ADVERTISEMENT

I would argue that this team has all the pieces

robman181

Blue Chip Prospect
May 1, 2004
Cal may “run out of runway”as he often says. However this team, unlike some of his other team, has all the pieces to be a complete basketball team. Green plays the role of general on the court and shooter. Shai the tough peremiter defender who stuffs the guard stat sheet and can play both positions. Hami, the freak athlete who can force teams to play zone. Knox, the versatile and prolific scorer who can get buckets when you have to have one. P.J. the space eating muscle you need to fill the lane and get put backs. The of course the rim protector in Nick Richards.

Keep in mind, all these guys are raw and are not doing those things to the best of their ability yet. And, they may not get to a championship level by years end. But this is the type of lineup that would be downright scarey if you’re an opposing coach trying to figure out how to attack them. I’ve often said Cal recruits “holes” in his line up in favor of talent. It will Be interesting to see if a team with a little less “super high end” talent can accomplish more by not having holes. I guess we’ll see how it plays out.

Cal may “run out of runway”as he often says. However this team, unlike some of his other team, has all the pieces to be a complete basketball team. Green plays the role of general on the court and shooter. Shai the tough peremiter defender who stuffs the guard stat sheet and can play both positions. Hami, the freak athlete who can force teams to play zone. Knox, the versatile and prolific scorer who can get buckets when you have to have one. P.J. the space eating muscle you need to fill the lane and get put backs. The of course the rim protector in Nick Richards.

Keep in mind, all these guys are raw and are not doing those things to the best of their ability yet. And, they may not get to a championship level by years end. But this is the type of lineup that would be downright scarey if you’re an opposing coach trying to figure out how to attack them. I’ve often said Cal recruits “holes” in his line up in favor of talent. It will Be interesting to see if a team with a little less “super high end” talent can accomplish more by not having holes. I guess we’ll see how it plays out.

Yeah I agree, right now we still have some up and down players but you can see they are getting it. It maybe for only a half right now but the fans understand that it’s still December and they are just now getting into the meat of the schedule before conference play starts. I love seeing guys like PJ making big strides now.

I think this team's biggest strength is yet to be realized. Defense. By March we will be the best defensive team in all of college basketball. Defense wins games. We will be a force in the NCAA tournament. You better believe they won't put Duke in are bracket.

The only thing we are missing is experience, IMHO.

No Seniors or Juniors.

Other than that, we have it all. Talent, depth, shooting, ballhandling, size.

Exciting team, just not sure we can cut down the nets without upperclassmen.

I believe we have a complete team. No glaring weaknesses other than youth.
This team is more complete than our past two teams.
We can score from every position.
Defenses can shut down two of our scores and we have four more.
Our length and ability to clog lanes is still a work in progress, but man wait till our zone comes together.
Last year we outscored our opponents, rarely able to get that key stop. Now, our current team can cause 4 min droughts, multiple times a game.
Go big blue

I agree, more complete position-wise than last year and we should’ve won it last year minus Higgins-bias

This thread is so blue shaded we should be ashamed. How in the world can you claim this team is complete with the glaring hole we have at PG? Quade Green is not going to cut it. Hopefully, I am wrong, i think that hole is about to be seriously exposed. Will see it via crap offense, turnovers, and guards going the F off.

This thread is so blue shaded we should be ashamed. How in the world can you claim this team is complete with the glaring hole we have at PG? Quade Green is not going to cut it. Hopefully, I am wrong, i think that hole is about to be seriously exposed. Will see it via crap offense, turnovers, and guards going the F off.

I think you are way off base. Green has not been great but shows more promise offensively then Teague did at this stage of the season. Teague was way better defensively but Green will improve on defense.

I think you are way off base. Green has not been great but shows more promise offensively then Teague did at this stage of the season. Teague was way better defensively but Green will improve on defense.

We’ll see. I think they are completely different types of players. At 6’0, green doesnt have the motor, jumpshot or passing skills to succeed at the level we need.

We’ll see. I think they are completely different types of players. At 6’0, green doesnt have the motor, jumpshot or passing skills to succeed at the level we need.
are you serious? Is he best pg we have had under cal? of course not....but to say he aint going to cut it is a little premature like the problem u have had your whole life.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
are you serious? Is he best pg we have had under cal? of course not....but to say he aint going to cut it is a little premature like the problem u have had your whole life.

You should stay away from personal attacks. You should also observe that I wager many thousands of $ daily as a recreation. I don’t have that many problems.

We need to get this turnover issue addressed asap!

When we start playing teams that really pressure the ball, it could get ugly.

Other than that, I'm seeing lots of improvement.

We need to get this turnover issue addressed asap!

When we start playing teams that really pressure the ball, it could get ugly.

Other than that, I'm seeing lots of improvement.
Agreed and I disagree with someone above that said ball handling was a strength and those are related. I see a lot of loose handlers. Road game are going to be very very hard for this team as we all know how much bumping is allowed in the SEC for us in hostile environments.

Agreed and I disagree with someone above that said ball handling was a strength and those are related. I see a lot of loose handlers. Road game are going to be very very hard for this team as we all know how much bumping is allowed in the SEC for us in hostile environments.
I think we have good ball handlers, who are careless and the game is still moving a little fast for them at times.

They're just kids, but their focus is going to have to intensify going forward!

Last edited:
He’s no John Wall by any means. But jump shot? 45% from 3 isn’t good enough for you? From what I’ve seen, he’s probably the best shooter on the team.

Then why did Cal recruit him? They guy gets whatever PG he wants. If all the deficiencies are so blatant, then why did Cal offer?

I think we have good ball handlers, who are careless and the game is still moving a little fast for them at times.

Their just kids, but their focus is going to have to intensify going forward!
I think we will see soon as we get forced into more half court against better opponents. Our two top scorers, Hami and Knox, IMO do not have tight handles.

Reactions: stenchymouse
The kid led his high school team to like 2 or 3 state championships I think....is that not the level we need?

Not a proven backup for NR.

I disagree. I think SKJ has played quite well.

Our biggest areas for improvement, which I think all are acheivable, are:
1) TOs, we can't keep turning if over so much, many unforced. Averaging 15.2 TO/gm. That almost always goes down as the season progresses, and I would hope, expect, it to go down even more given our youth. Only the 9-10 team of Cal's has averaged > 12.8/gm (the NIT team). The 3rd worst was 11.8, which is the team I think this team compares the most to, the 13-14 team. The 3 biggest culprits have been Knox, SGA & Washington.
2) Defense. This needs to be the calling card of this team. The defense hasn't been bad, but it needs to be really good. And I think it can be given both the length & quickness.
3) Rebounding. This needs to be our other calling card, due to our length (except for Green). We have 7 of our 8 guys that play averaging 3.8+ rpg. But it can be better. Knox, only 5.8 in 35mpg, Washington only 5.6 in 25mpg, can be better.
4) Who are our 2nd & 3rd scoring options? 1 is Knox. 2 might be Diallo, but if you take away fast break points, I'm not certain he's there yet. 3 = ?, maybe Green.

I disagree. I think SKJ has played quite well.

Our biggest areas for improvement, which I think all are acheivable, are:
1) TOs, we can't keep turning if over so much, many unforced. Averaging 15.2 TO/gm. That almost always goes down as the season progresses, and I would hope, expect, it to go down even more given our youth. Only the 9-10 team of Cal's has averaged > 12.8/gm (the NIT team). The 3rd worst was 11.8, which is the team I think this team compares the most to, the 13-14 team. The 3 biggest culprits have been Knox, SGA & Washington.
2) Defense. This needs to be the calling card of this team. The defense hasn't been bad, but it needs to be really good. And I think it can be given both the length & quickness.
3) Rebounding. This needs to be our other calling card, due to our length (except for Green). We have 7 of our 8 guys that play averaging 3.8+ rpg. But it can be better. Knox, only 5.8 in 35mpg, Washington only 5.6 in 25mpg, can be better.
4) Who are our 2nd & 3rd scoring options? 1 is Knox. 2 might be Diallo, but if you take away fast break points, I'm not certain he's there yet. 3 = ?, maybe Green.
We've improved in all these areas except for the turnovers...

The thing that worries me, is that we haven't really played against a really good defensive team yet.

I disagree we don’t have the point guard play. I’m much more concerned about Green on D than on offense. He has already made some strides on that side of the ball though.

ADVERTISEMENT