ADVERTISEMENT

I wasn’t the only one impressed with Richards’ improvement. So were NBA scouts

Disagree that KJ has the highest upside on this team. Got to be EJ, right?

Gotta agree. But that’s always the case when you have a tall skilled versatile big. Other players can get more skilled but not taller, guys like EJ are tall and can get more skilled. At the same time it doesn’t mean they will end up reaching that celiling though

Disagree that KJ has the highest upside on this team. Got to be EJ, right?

Gotta agree. But that’s always the case when you have a tall skilled versatile big. Other players can get more skilled but not taller, guys like EJ are tall and can get more skilled. At the same time it doesn’t mean they will end up reaching that celiling though
Not seeing more of EJ (or Baker) was the only negative for me from the week. But glad he rested and can’t wait to see what they both bring.

Reactions: Cindog28
Not seeing more of EJ (or Baker) was the only negative for me from the week. But glad he rested and can’t wait to see what they both bring.

Hearing rumors Cal wanted to let the fans see EJ but after the first game, sat him due to not showing all his cards before the Duke matchup. “Secret Weapon” has been thrown around by people in the know

Hearing rumors Cal wanted to let the fans see EJ but after the first game, sat him due to not showing all his cards before the Duke matchup. “Secret Weapon” has been thrown around by people in the know
A bit early for the cloak and dagger stuff don't you think. I have a hard time buying that Cal gives two hoots in hell what K and Duke see from his team in August.

Cal would be more like "hey K you and your top 3 recruits come get a load of this when you're ready"

A bit early for the cloak and dagger stuff don't you think. I have a hard time buying that Cal gives two hoots in hell what K and Duke see from his team in August.

Cal would be more like "hey K you and your top 3 recruits come get a load of this when you're ready"

Cal's, k's huckleberry.....

I was impressed by KJ and Richards as well. I think I was most surprised by Richards, though. I had heard Johnson was killing it in practice. I had also heard Richards was playing well, also, but I've heard that before. But when I actually saw Richards playing so well, I agree with what Ellen Calipari said in this article. He doesn't even look like the same player. Those are the exact words I said to my wife and kids about him. His aggressive rebounding was very impressive to me and his not getting pushed around down low. Last season, he got pushed around a lot and he just seemed to go into a shell when things didn't go well early in a game. And that's the other thing that impressed me with Richards in the Bahamas. It wasn't so much game 1 and his offensive outburst. It was game 2 when he was dealing with a bit stiffer competition and his first couple shots didn't fall. He kept coming and he stayed aggressive and his head stayed up and he battled through. That was impressive to me, and that's what will make him a much more consistent player this season.

I was impressed by KJ and Richards as well. I think I was most surprised by Richards, though. I had heard Johnson was killing it in practice. I had also heard Richards was playing well, also, but I've heard that before. But when I actually saw Richards playing so well, I agree with what Ellen Calipari said in this article. He doesn't even look like the same player. Those are the exact words I said to my wife and kids about him. His aggressive rebounding was very impressive to me and his not getting pushed around down low. Last season, he got pushed around a lot and he just seemed to go into a shell when things didn't go well early in a game. And that's the other thing that impressed me with Richards in the Bahamas. It wasn't so much game 1 and his offensive outburst. It was game 2 when he was dealing with a bit stiffer competition and his first couple shots didn't fall. He kept coming and he stayed aggressive and his head stayed up and he battled through. That was impressive to me, and that's what will make him a much more consistent player this season.

Yeah, but no one believe's you. They do believe Ellen....

yep...if Cal made that comment it was surely sarcasm; ...don't we also have two other warm up games?

Yeah, but no one believe's you. They do believe Ellen....
I had no clue that Ellen posted on RR...
He doesn’t walk the same, he doesn’t look the same, he doesn’t carry himself the same,”
She just outed herself.

Reactions: WildMoon
I had no clue that Ellen posted on RR...
He doesn’t walk the same, he doesn’t look the same, he doesn’t carry himself the same,”
She just outed herself.

According to the article I guess Ellen was quasi quoted by Cal. Ole ILL, I was just bust in his chops but he knew it. (Whew...)

Might be a rumor, lol, but we walked along side with them several days in a row going to the gym and he was limping a bit so it looked like he had pulled something

According to the article I guess Ellen was quasi quoted by Cal. Ole ILL, I was just bust in his chops but he knew it. (Whew...)
I was referring to the infamous "slow walk" of Townes thread...

I was referring to the infamous "slow walk" of Townes thread...

Just slap me in da mouth...I'm owed a couple anyway.

Here; Let me do it for you...(I didn't miss my mouth by much..)

tenor.gif

@Cindog28
@IL Wildcat

Reactions: Cindog28
Nick looked better, but let's not go crazy just yet.
Look, if he continues to improve and can help us even a little, that will be a big plus.

He still has weak hands, and his overall strength is nowhere near where it needs to be, but that's the way players are supposed to progress.

Hopefully by his Senior season he can become a force.

Look, if he continues to improve and can help us even a little, that will be a big plus.

He still has weak hands, and his overall strength is nowhere near where it needs to be, but that's the way players are supposed to progress.

He’ll not be here after this year. His hands look way better than last year. I didn’t see him fumble any passes. I did see Travis fumble several passes over the first three games!

Ill bet you 100 dollars Richards is drafted before then.

If I was an NBA scout on Paradise Island, I too would have been impressed with Richards’ performances last week.

But let me throw a little cold water on this.

On November 22, Nick Richards hung 25 points and 15 rebounds on Ft. Wayne. Richards has skills. That isn’t new.

Richards will always be the longest, tallest player on the floor. The question is, how much will he be on the floor? Reid Travis, PJ Washington, and EJ Montgomery are going to play. They are pretty good too.

Last year, Richards played 14.7 minutes per game. Assume he will play 20 minutes a game this year, because he will share time with Travis and Montgomery. Richards has always had NBA level athleticism and tools. If he has more confidence and a better feel for Cal’s system now, that’s what Cal expects from a sophomore.

I predict Richards will improve continuously through this season and enter the next NBA draft. I don’t know if he is a dominant player, but that’s a possibility if he works his tail off and stays focused.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
If I was an NBA scout on Paradise Island, I too would have been impressed with Richards’ performances last week.

But let me throw a little cold water on this.

On November 22, Nick Richards hung 25 points and 15 rebounds on Ft. Wayne. Richards has skills. That isn’t new.

Richards will always be the longest, tallest player on the floor. The question is, how much will he be on the floor? Reid Travis, PJ Washington, and EJ Montgomery are going to play. They are pretty good too.

Last year, Richards played 14.7 minutes per game. Assume he will play 20 minutes a game this year, because he will share time with Travis and Montgomery. Richards has always had NBA level athleticism and tools. If he has more confidence and a better feel for Cal’s system now, that’s what Cal expects from a sophomore.

I predict Richards will improve continuously through this season and enter the next NBA draft. I don’t know if he is a dominant player, but that’s a possibility if he works his tail off and stays focused.

I think the point is, Richards has already worked his "tail" off according to several to include Cal and Mrs. Cal to where they can't find parts of the old Richards. i think that lends to the excitement and the ability for his minutes to be.....upped due to less baggage in the "barkley" area...

If Richards is able to make that hook shot on a consistent basis and that baseline jumper, he's special. No one's going to stop him at any level.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
If Richards is able to make that hook shot on a consistent basis and that baseline jumper, he's special. No one's going to stop him at any level.

Shoot, I'm at he is automatically solid to pretty good just if he can just catch and hold on to the ball.
You add a reliable hook and good from 15 and you are almost staying healthy and motivated away from plausible hall of fame consideration with his size/speed/quickness combination one day.

He was probably a soccer kid so the hand/eye coordination is behind kids that grew up playing American sports.

Nick Richards has proven enough in the Bahamas games that he should sit out the season and wait to be the first pick in the Draft. No reason to risk an injury at this point.

Reactions: BBUK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT