ADVERTISEMENT

I think it’s just this simple…

Rockfly78

Senior
Nov 20, 2014
This team clearly has talent and skill. The shooters can shoot and everybody can run fast and jump high and whatnot. This is evident by watching the team play against these weaker teams. So, why do they hit shots against these teams and not against Zaga and MSU? Why does the ball move better and why do the players look more engaged? Yes a lot of it is that our opponent sucks but that’s not all of it. I think it can be summed up by one word. FEAR.

I think these kids lack a killer instinct. I think they get scared and they don’t like the pressure. This is on Cal. I don’t think he’s a great X and O coach but with elite talent he doesn’t have to be. But what happens when your elite talent just happens to be limp noodles? Well now it’s up to you and your staff to rewrite their psyche or you’re looking at a lot of wasted talent.

This is where Cal misses Kenny Payne. He took care of this shit for him. I am hoping someone on his staff can do something to help them find their balls.

I think it is as simple as we have 2 high level talents currently on the team. Oscar and Wallace. Wallace is still developing but you can see the talent is there. We have some others with talent and potential but for whatever reason they just aren’t showing it or ready. Everyone else including Wheeler are role players or liabilities either on offense or defense.

Can't compare the offense and defense against HORRIBLE teams as opposed to top 20 teams.

It is that simple.

"Fear" is derived from lack of preparation AND lack of confidence. Cal has become HORRIBLE in BOTH of these areas with his team. My question for Cal would be WHY bring in kids to UK that are NOT DAWGS??!!!!

Cal used to bring in kids that wanted to PROVE they were the VERY BEST at what they did AND went out to PROVE it every game!!! Did they come up short sometimes, MOST DEFINITELY. But it was NEVER from a lack of CONFIDENCE and by the end of the year it was NOT from a lack of PREPARATION.

At UK, we need kids that look at the game of basketball like the opponent is trying to TAKE AWAY something that BELONGS to THEM!!! That's when we were considered the "Gold Standard"!!! WHY has Cal LOST that???!!!!!

Kenny looking good over at UofL coaching those guys to have killer instinct.
No shit. They suck. But that ties in to what I’m saying. They have a talent issue. They have none. Killer instinct won’t help if you’re talent deficient. We have talent on our side. They just gotta find heart. Payne could get it out of our kids in year past

Can't compare the offense and defense against HORRIBLE teams as opposed to top 20 teams.

It is that simple.

"Fear" is derived from lack of preparation AND lack of confidence. Cal has become HORRIBLE in BOTH of these areas with his team. My question for Cal would be WHY bring in kids to UK that are NOT DAWGS??!!!!

Cal used to bring in kids that wanted to PROVE they were the VERY BEST at what they did AND went out to PROVE it every game!!! Did they come up short sometimes, MOST DEFINITELY. But it was NEVER from a lack of CONFIDENCE and by the end of the year it was NOT from a lack of PREPARATION.

At UK, we need kids that look at the game of basketball like the opponent is trying to TAKE AWAY something that BELONGS to THEM!!! That's when we were considered the "Gold Standard"!!! WHY has Cal LOST that???!!!!!
Hard to disagree. We don’t have one Isaiah brisco on this team outside of Oscar and even he is too nice

Reactions: catben
This team clearly has talent and skill. The shooters can shoot and everybody can run fast and jump high and whatnot. This is evident by watching the team play against these weaker teams. So, why do they hit shots against these teams and not against Zaga and MSU? Why does the ball move better and why do the players look more engaged? Yes a lot of it is that our opponent sucks but that’s not all of it. I think it can be summed up by one word. FEAR.

I think these kids lack a killer instinct. I think they get scared and they don’t like the pressure. This is on Cal. I don’t think he’s a great X and O coach but with elite talent he doesn’t have to be. But what happens when your elite talent just happens to be limp noodles? Well now it’s up to you and your staff to rewrite their psyche or you’re looking at a lot of wasted talent.

This is where Cal misses Kenny Payne. He took care of this shit for him. I am hoping someone on his staff can do something to help them find their balls.
Imo, having heart and testicular fortitude relies solely on an individual, and not an external source..coaches coach X’s and O’s; and a humongous sack is dependent on the personnel..our issue is 2 fold…Our leader runs ZERO effective sets, and our personnel seem to lack a “dog” mentality..combine the both, and we just aren’t that good..period

Imo, having heart and testicular fortitude relies solely on an individual, and not an external source..coaches coach X’s and O’s; and a humongous sack is dependent on the personnel..our issue is 2 fold…Our leader runs ZERO effective sets, and our personnel seem to lack a “dog” mentality..combine the both, and we just aren’t that good..period
If you’re right then we’re cooked

Reactions: catben
Yep, only two of our players seem to have ice water in their veins, O and Wallace.

If I was coach in big games I would bring every other player (besides the two above) and say, in order to win big games I need you to...

Toppin: play to your strengths, not your weaknesses. Your strengths are your are a 6'9" athelete, rebounding, put back dunks, strong cuts to the basket, defense, you can shoot from the elbow or further out only 4 times per game.

Wheeler, I'm gonna put you on the bench more but when you come in I want you to play to your assist strength which is push the pace, get into the middle and distribute. But don't make wish passes, make sure they connect.

Reeves, keep doing what your doing, but think pass first, trust the ball will come back to you in a better place. And play better defense. But I trust you and I'm gonna play you in front of CJ from here to eternity.

Livingston: I'm not gonna call any plays for you so impress me with your hustle, your rebounding, your running the floor, your easy put backs. And become a lock down defender and I'll play your more.

CJ: I'm gonna put you on the bench and only bring you our for 5 or 6 minutes a game like Pitino used Cameron Mills, but you can't keep missing them all.

Wheeler, I'm gonna put you on the bench more but when you come in I want you to play to your assist strength which is push the pace, get into the middle and distribute. But don't make wish passes, make sure they connect.
In this scenario what does Wheeler do when the defense backs off him and leaves him all alone on the three point line?

Good teams are also big and fast and jump, playing these really weak cup cakes just helps pad wins for Cal and stats for players but it doesn't help the team in the long run. Playing a decent mid major that could push this team is what they need, make them execute and actually have to play defense because we saw what happens when we played two good teams.

It's simple yes, tempo. I did not think despite the score and Reeves and others hitting some 3's that this game prepared our team against other talented teams. They looked this same way, great in the Bahamas. The problem is good teams that provide ball pressure and defense will slow our team down as has happened year after year. Just by a few seconds is all it takes. Then those breaks and quick shots where we are scoring are no longer there. I saw very few situations where hard screens were set and shots were taken late in the shot clock. It should not be a surprising then in real games when the team is forced to pass, look for things other than one on one isolation plays and pass, that we have minimal good looks with the shot clock winding down or turnovers or forced bad shots. This is the offense that needs to be instructed and practiced against these bunny teams.

Who wants the ball when the game is on the line?

That's what Cal should be asking this team. Not who is going to say they want it in practice or in the meetings, but who wants the ball down the stretch in the games.

We know Oscar does inside, but who is going to make the 3 when we have to have it? Who is going to dig in and make that defensive stop.

Cal has to make this team 10% tougher even if he has to break the pop-tarts out.

The better coaches know that transition points will win and lose a game for you. Cal wants to run and does against less talent and inferior coaches. Once you get against guys like Izzo, they love to get Cal in the half court and expose his weaknesses. Cal ends up with a lot of lineups with only two shooters on the floor and that ends up in a nightmare trying to space the floor. It's a roster flaw more than anything else.

No shit. They suck. But that ties in to what I’m saying. They have a talent issue. They have none. Killer instinct won’t help if you’re talent deficient. We have talent on our side. They just gotta find heart. Payne could get it out of our kids in year past
If Payne could get it out of the kids in the past, then how do you explain the past 4 years and the St Pete game?

I think it is as simple as we have 2 high level talents currently on the team. Oscar and Wallace. Wallace is still developing but you can see the talent is there. We have some others with talent and potential but for whatever reason they just aren’t showing it or ready. Everyone else including Wheeler are role players or liabilities either on offense or defense.
This team has only one bonified NBA player and he's a freshman, (Wallace). I do think if we gad talent like we've had in the past at PF and SF that little Wheeler would be much better. When everyone stops moving it makes it much harder on any PG, no matter how good they are.

It’s called better defense, especially Michigan State.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Teams are a reflection of their coach .

Yep. Chihuahuas are fierce animals, but they aren't used as guard dogs for a reason.

Yeah, I think much of the problem is mental. Fear of failing is part of that. When things aren't going your way, if you're not mentally strong, you tend to allow things to just continue that direction. It takes mental strength to turn things around. Just about the only positive thing I saw in that Gonzaga game was that they fought back and actually cut the lead to 4 at one point. It fell apart after that, but they did at least get it to that point.

I just posted elsewhere that Cal's comments after the game tonight worry me about this team. He's saying some of the guys just aren't getting it, they don't know what to do if option A doesn't work or if options A, B, and C don't work. Maybe this is common. I'm not sure.

If Payne could get it out of the kids in the past, then how do you explain the past 4 years and the St Pete game?
Payne wasn’t here for the st Pete game. So there’s that. I don’t remember when he left. Did we have teams that played with no heart after kp left? The 9-16 team just sucked plain and simple. That was a talent issue more then anything

Good teams are also big and fast and jump, playing these really weak cup cakes just helps pad wins for Cal and stats for players but it doesn't help the team in the long run. Playing a decent mid major that could push this team is what they need, make them execute and actually have to play defense because we saw what happens when we played two good teams.
Man the schedule is fine. All teams have cupcakes on their schedule. Do you seriously want this team anywhere near a tough game right now? I don’t. Not for a couple more weeks.

There’s not a lot of teams with Michigan st, Gonzaga, Michigan , ucla, and Kansas on the schedule. Our schedule is pretty ambitious.

Teams are a reflection of their coach .
It’s on Cal and his staff to get it out of them. For sure. I think one of Cal’s biggest deficiencies as a coach is that he handcuffs his staff during games. You can tell they know their place. No one would dare speak up. Chin got into it with him last year though. I liked that

Payne wasn’t here for the st Pete game. So there’s that. I don’t remember when he left. Did we have teams that played with no heart after kp left? The 9-16 team just sucked plain and simple. That was a talent issue more then anything
Crazy thing is, that team had 2 first round picks and a second rounder. Add in Mintz who was a solid college player (current g leaguer) and there was more than enough talent to make the tournament. Askew was you’re one real massive weakness

This has been my thought also. They know they should win against these weak teams but feel pressure coming from Cal when playing in bigger games. Same was true against St Peters last year. It comes from pressure Cal feels when playing big games. Cal will never recognize this or do anything about. However, they are at bottom now and may not feel that fear in the next big game. This is the typical,fear of failing but on a team basis. Once you do what you fear (loosing 2 games) much of the fear leaves.

It’s on Cal and his staff to get it out of them. For sure. I think one of Cal’s biggest deficiencies as a coach is that he handcuffs his staff during games. You can tell they know their place. No one would dare speak up. Chin got into it with him last year though. I liked that
Totally agree. Cal's ego let's him believe he has all the answers and his assistants has none.

This team has only one bonified NBA player and he's a freshman, (Wallace). I do think if we gad talent like we've had in the past at PF and SF that little Wheeler would be much better. When everyone stops moving it makes it much harder on any PG, no matter how good they are.
^ 100% this is what I see, too …

Yeah, I think much of the problem is mental. Fear of failing is part of that. When things aren't going your way, if you're not mentally strong, you tend to allow things to just continue that direction. It takes mental strength to turn things around. Just about the only positive thing I saw in that Gonzaga game was that they fought back and actually cut the lead to 4 at one point. It fell apart after that, but they did at least get it to that point.

I just posted elsewhere that Cal's comments after the game tonight worry me about this team. He's saying some of the guys just aren't getting it, they don't know what to do if option A doesn't work or if options A, B, and C don't work. Maybe this is common. I'm not sure.
I read the interview. I knowcwhy some guys aren't getting it. Cal talks like he has had a stroke. Just gibberish. About to be expected I guess.

I love Ware but if he continues to play a lot of minutes we’re screwed. Collins continues to disappoint and looks lost. Toppin has topped out and doesn’t show up for big games. Wheeler can‘t shoot, and when he’s in the game other teams has the advantage of guarding 4 players not 5. Wallace has been awesome and Livingston has been disappointing so far. Reeves and CJ shoot great against cupcakes, but can’t find the goal against the good teams. Kids don’t know how to play defense. Players stand around looking lost on offense. They don’t hustle, cut, switch or talk to each other. Doesn’t look like that most of the players are in UK shape. Remember when our players would hustle for 40 minutes and just wear teams down? Sad to say but I think we R what we R at this point and time. Collins, Ware, and Toppin aren’t getting any better and I’m afraid they’ve reached their peak. Wheeler is a great little point guard, but he can’t shoot. I really wish Cal would have that conversation with Wheeler about not shooting 3 pointers. I really hope I’m wrong, but I just don’t see a very good team when I look at our players. Just Saying.

Man the schedule is fine. All teams have cupcakes on their schedule. Do you seriously want this team anywhere near a tough game right now? I don’t. Not for a couple more weeks.

There’s not a lot of teams with Michigan st, Gonzaga, Michigan , ucla, and Kansas on the schedule. Our schedule is pretty ambitious.
Yes, maybe if they had played a couple of teams lets say that would have pushed the cats maybe they would have beat MSU, playing teams you can beat by 30 plus is no even a good scrimmage.

In this scenario what does Wheeler do when the defense backs off him and leaves him all alone on the three point line?
I am not as anti-Wheeler as most.
But in your circumstance, even I say try to run the offense and get us a better shot, and don’t even think about taking that wide open 3 until inside 8 seconds on shot clock.

Reactions: UK-chulo
I think we are playing the cupcakes instead of mid-majors because we’d be 0-5 right now if we did. Doesn’t take much to scout us and game plan.

Yes, maybe if they had played a couple of teams lets say that would have pushed the cats maybe they would have beat MSU, playing teams you can beat by 30 plus is no even a good scrimmage.
Those early cupcakes were a godsend. Oscar needed to recover. Can you imagine playing a legit team in game 2 without Oscar or wheeler?

Those early cupcakes were a godsend. Oscar needed to recover. Can you imagine playing a legit team in game 2 without Oscar or wheeler?
First I am not talking about playing a top 24 team, just someone good enough that the cats actually have to work to win, second playing 40plus margin cup cakes is worse than a scrimmage, none of them are going to improve in game like that, but you don't seem to understand this.

It’s called better defense. Makes players pucker up.

First I am not talking about playing a top 24 team, just someone good enough that the cats actually have to work to win, second playing 40plus margin cup cakes is worse than a scrimmage, none of them are going to improve in game like that, but you don't seem to understand this.
This. Not necessarily top 20 teams, but maybe top 75-100 teams. That’s the type of teams we need to be playing and trying to improve against.

Reactions: jwphelps
ADVERTISEMENT