ADVERTISEMENT

I see on KSR Diallo rumored to decide today.

Interesting. My gut feeling is that he signs an agent ahead of the deadline, but I sure hope he comes back.

People at this point should just expect him to go. That way you can wet your pants if he comes back.
Billy-Madison-5A.gif

I read yesterday that some guy in "the know" heard he was gonna hire an agent and stay in the draft.

He's gone....worked out for the Nets who have 22 and 27th picks. They will give him a guarantee.

It is pretty obvious now that he never planned to return. It started with him apparently saying he would only leave if he was a lottery pick. Then changed it to top 20 pick and now apparently just a 1st round pick.

Our roster is set, we're not adding anyone else. Diallo is gone and Cam Johnson doesn't want to compete for minutes with Knox, Vanderbilt, Washington, and Gabriel.

Quade, Knox, Alexander, and Baker will take up the backcourt.

Vanderbilt, Washington, and Gabriel with a little Knox will take up the 3/4 spots.

Richards and SKJ will split time at the 5 until one emerges over the other.

That's your 2017-2018 Kentucky basketball team, imagine the possibilities as you wish.

My fear is an inability to defend well enough will hold them back but there could be enough size/length to overcome other deficiencies.

Yeah because the Nets (20-62) are really looking to draft players that can help them three years down the road :rolleyes:

That is exactly the type of player the Nets should take. Draft a gifted athlete that late in the1st and hope in 3 years he blossoms into a solid starter. What else do you expect in the late 1st round. The Nets have no hope for the next few years, anyway.

Reactions: madison1329
I see him staying in the draft. I think this was his plan the whole time. As KentuckyCatOur said our roster is set.

Reactions: Jazzycat
He's gone....worked out for the Nets who have 22 and 27th picks. They will give him a guarantee.

It is pretty obvious now that he never planned to return. It started with him apparently saying he would only leave if he was a lottery pick. Then changed it to top 20 pick and now apparently just a 1st round pick.

I don't know that he knew this all along. I may be alone, but I doubt he knew what to expect. All this attention he's received probably surprised him and now going to the NBA might be more realistic than he first thought.

Secondly, we as Kentucky fans would nearly kill for a chance to play for our team had we had the opportunity when we were in college or those that are in college now. But these kids don't look at Kentucky like we do. I think they love the school and love the program, but not like we do here. And that's ok. So when the NBA comes knocking, having an opportunity to realize their childhood dream superseeds everything else including the chance to play for Kentucky.

So I understand. I don't have any negative feelings about diallo if he decides to stay in the draft. I get it. It's a once in a lifetime chance and if he thinks he can do it now, I'd rather him go then play here for a year knowing he'd rather be in the NBA. And if he decides to come back, this process will pay off because he will have made a well thought out decision and took his time making sure he's happy with his choice in the end.

I don't know that he knew this all along. I may be alone, but I doubt he knew what to expect. All this attention he's received probably surprised him and now going to the NBA might be more realistic than he first thought.

Secondly, we as Kentucky fans would nearly kill for a chance to play for our team had we had the opportunity when we were in college or those that are in college now. But these kids don't look at Kentucky like we do. I think they love the school and love the program, but not like we do here. And that's ok. So when the NBA comes knocking, having an opportunity to realize their childhood dream superseeds everything else including the chance to play for Kentucky.

So I understand. I don't have any negative feelings about diallo if he decides to stay in the draft. I get it. It's a once in a lifetime chance and if he thinks he can do it now, I'd rather him go then play here for a year knowing he'd rather be in the NBA. And if he decides to come back, this process will pay off because he will have made a well thought out decision and took his time making sure he's happy with his choice in the end.

This I agree with. Unless you know the kid personally there is no way to know what his intentions were when he decided to come to UK. I have no idea what they were, so I choose to not stand on either side of the fence on this. The bottom line is that UK pays Cal to coach and win ballgames. How he goes about that, aside from things that will get us in trouble, I do not care. People think this will hurt our reputation, but most will forget about it within a year if this doesn't become a normal deal.

If I were in his shoes I would come back. I know it's hard to turn down that money now, but next year he can be a lottery pick and the rookie contracts are increasing. That's just me though.

Reactions: mebeblue2
If he wanted a second year at UK, first on the court, I think he would have come back by now. If we don't get Johnson I think a rebuilding year is set for 17-18 but 18-19 should be fun.

If I were in his shoes I would come back. I know it's hard to turn down that money now, but next year he can be a lottery pick and the rookie contracts are increasing. That's just me though.

IMO that is a defining factor. I know it may be "selfish" for us fans to say that but that's a lot of money potentially being left on the table. Let's just say he slides to 25-30 next year, with the salary increase he will still make more. Versus the option of him getting drafted this year and being locked into a contract for 3 years with the lower salary cap. Definitely something to take into consideration.

LOL. He may well stay in the draft, but I find your 8,000th consecutive pessimistic prediction of little weight.

IMO that is a defining factor. I know it may be "selfish" for us fans to say that but that's a lot of money potentially being left on the table. Let's just say he slides to 25-30 next year, with the salary increase he will still make more. Versus the option of him getting drafted this year and being locked into a contract for 3 years with the lower salary cap. Definitely something to take into consideration.

Exactly. Typically the difference between being drafted in the 20's as apposed to the mid lottery is about $3-$3.5 million over the course of the rookie contract. But the difference between being drafted in the 20's this year as apposed to the mid lottery next year is more like $5.5-$6 million. That would be a major factor to consider for me.

There will be plenty of kids available that late with more NOW ability than Diallo
You don't follow he NBA much do you? With zero future to look forward to in the immediate future and without their lottery picks in the next couple of years, Diallo is EXACTLY the type of player they should take with one of their picks. They can get a potential lottery pick a year early. They aren't going to be a good anytime soon. They should swing for the fences.

You don't follow he NBA much do you? With zero future to look forward to in the immediate future and without their lottery picks in the next couple of years, Diallo is EXACTLY the type of player they should take with one of their picks. They can get a potential lottery pick a year early. They aren't going to be a good anytime soon. They should swing for the fences with one of their picks.

Agreed. A team like Brooklyn has nothing to lose. They could get an absolute steal in Diallo.

I don't blame Diallo at all. If someone was offering me $3+ million to leave UK I would definitely do it. Not sure it's worth the gamble on his part to try to improve by 10 spots in the draft. Risky bet if he were to do it.

But, I would still love to have him at UK. He could be the difference between a Sweet 16 and a Final Four

Reactions: MWes11
ADVERTISEMENT