ADVERTISEMENT

I really wonder if Coach Schlarmans deteriorating condition

BigBlueFanGA

All-American
Jun 14, 2005
could have led to a large part of our flatness yesterday. The whole team just wasn't there. Yesterday was the first game/practice coach has missed and they are giving no reason for it. His weight loss had me wondering if he would make it thru the season and now this. That could easily explain the strange level of disconnect the team showed yesterday. Just a thought.

Disagree totally... not saying it did, but most certainly could have depending on the news. Know he looked horrible at puke orange game. Was there yesterday and the TEAM was totally flat!!! We sat about 10 rows behind the bench!
Just curious. It was obvious the team was emotionless and had zero will to fight for the win yesterday.

Was there ANYONE, player or coach on that sideline trying to motivate the team?

I mean maybe, but this also just sounds like looking for excuses.

It absolutely did. You could tell the players were really distracted.

It must be bad. No way he misses a game unless it's really bad. Awful

Reactions: Girthang
Just curious. It was obvious the team was emotionless and had zero will to fight for the win yesterday.

Was there ANYONE, player or coach on that sideline trying to motivate the team?
Saw Paschal trying a couple times. When they scored the td it looked like the sideline emotion picked up a little, but didnt last long.

Nope, excusing and explaining are 2 separate things.

Semantics. There’s no way to prove that’s why we were flat yesterday ... maybe we were just flat? Had we played fired up inspired football would we have said “we did it for Coach Schlarman!” It’s not an explanation, it’s an excuse.

Semantics. There’s no way to prove that’s why we were flat yesterday ... maybe we were just flat? Had we played fired up inspired football would we have said “we did it for Coach Schlarman!” It’s not an explanation, it’s an excuse.
Glass half full......

We have had bad qback play since Stoops has been here. He makes no effort to correct it. As long as the seniors play no matter how bad they play, Stoops is ok with it. Stoops is a fine man but not a very good football coach.

Reactions: zannmann
Team looked flat vs Auburn too. I think I can count two times in the last three years a Stoops team played flat. Something is going on, I think.

This year's team reminds me of a Kirby Smart Georgia team (but less talented). They don't really look like they are having fun until a big lead. They look like they are playing tight. Even the Tennessee game it took until after the second defensive TD to see more swagger and a fun atmosphere.

It's weird. I think something is going on. May be as simple as this being a weird season. Could be the health of a beloved coach. I'm not sure. But outside of the Tennessee game I haven't seen the team play with much joy. It looks like a job.

Reactions: Girthang
could have led to a large part of our flatness yesterday. The whole team just wasn't there. Yesterday was the first game/practice coach has missed and they are giving no reason for it. His weight loss had me wondering if he would make it thru the season and now this. That could easily explain the strange level of disconnect the team showed yesterday. Just a thought.
Thats possible. If the players are close to him than you know it has to have an effect on them. How is his condition?

Thats possible. If the players are close to him than you know it has to have an effect on them. How is his condition?
Unknown but stage 4 for over 2 years, already in liver, lungs,+ back when it was diagnosed. Reported 60lb weight loss recently, now misses a game....I'd say, bad. Thanks for asking.

I would give you a like for the info, but then I hate the info.
We all hate the info. Illness takes its toll not only on the ill person but all those around them. There is a sense of helplessness that creeps in because we we want to do something, anything to help but can only watch as the disease progresses. It can suck the air out of you, which is pretty much how we seemed to play Saturday. Not saying this is the only problem we're facing but when compounded by how this game set up (coming off the Tennessee high, Mizzou with a revenge factor and an extra week to prepare) and our own deficiencies it all seemed to conspire in a perfect storm (flub). It will be a tough week for coaches and players to try to crawl back out of this hole they've fallen into.

Reactions: jauk11
Team looked flat vs Auburn too. I think I can count two times in the last three years a Stoops team played flat. Something is going on, I think.

This year's team reminds me of a Kirby Smart Georgia team (but less talented). They don't really look like they are having fun until a big lead. They look like they are playing tight. Even the Tennessee game it took until after the second defensive TD to see more swagger and a fun atmosphere.

It's weird. I think something is going on. May be as simple as this being a weird season. Could be the health of a beloved coach. I'm not sure. But outside of the Tennessee game I haven't seen the team play with much joy. It looks like a job.

I definitely think there is underlying problems in the program. A good example was the tweets that a couple of players put on and then removed. Receivers didn't come here to watch, and Gatewood didn't come here to set or stand on the sideline, especially when were getting our A$$ kicked.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: TIE543
We have had bad qback play since Stoops has been here. He makes no effort to correct it. As long as the seniors play no matter how bad they play, Stoops is ok with it. Stoops is a fine man but not a very good football coach.

So FOS on every statement in this post. Congratulations are in order. Impressive someone could be this wrong.

Could have been a factor in the players being flat but doesn't explain the game plan the coaching staff had.

I can't say you're wrong.

This is the 2nd game where we have scrapped our identity right out of the gate. Never got it back in this game either. Starting out with three straight passes undercuts everything we've been for the past few years. Completely unbalanced to do that.

Terry looks really tentative compared to 2018. As much as I like him as a person and for how he's played for us in the past, even how well he threw that TD, I'm not opposed to trying Beau and Gatewood at this point.

I almost think Terry Wilson would do better if he didn't get the start and they brought him off the bench at some point.

The coaches overthinking things, as they've done before, and not having Coach Schlarman with us are part of it for sure. The other part is Missouri is not as bad as everyone assumed they were. Bottom line though is that it's still just one game.

Hope Terry recovers from his injury to give us and him some meaningful minutes in the games ahead. The other guys need these practice snaps they're getting this week.

I'm going to go put on a limb and guess that we didn't do full contact at all last week. Looked like we were practicing on both sides of the ball this last weekend

ADVERTISEMENT