ADVERTISEMENT

I love One-and-done and the Calipari era

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
I've been a Kentucky fan long enough that I can remember watching Rupp's Runts with my father in 1966.

I believe the Calipari era has been my favorite.

If someone had told me in 2009 as I was watching Michael Porter lead the Cats to the NIT, that over the next eight years not only would the Cats have another title and four Final Four runs, but in those years my favorite Wildcats would be players as legendary as: 2010 John Wall 2011 Brandon Knight 2012 Anthony Davis 2013 Nerlens Noel 2014 Julius Randle 2015 Karl Anthony Towns 2016 Jamal Murray snd 2017 DeAaron Fox, I would have been delirious with joy. And that's exactly what happened.

Cynics will say, 'Md, wouldn't you rather win titles?' Sure. In my 50 years of fandom, Kentucky has won four, good for second overall to UCLA and its one good decade. The Cats have been to 11 Final Fours in that half century. By any measure Calipari is well ahead of any pace in winning championships, and giving Kentucky a legitimate shot to win, in my lifetime.

Why post this now? Because I've been nauseated by the negativity on this board since the Cats fell a last second shot short of a fifth Final Four in eight years. You all better enjoy these times. In case you are too young and, or stupid to realize it, they won't last forever and what comes next will likely not be as good.

I understand why you love this era of Kentucky basketball. But not sure why anyone would love the "one-and-done." Drives me nuts. That certainly doesn't mean that I haven't loved the players we've had and the success as well. But I prefer to have my players hang around a bit.

I've been a Kentucky fan long enough that I can remember watching Rupp's Runts with my father in 1966.

If someone had told me in 2009 as I was watching Michael Porter lead the Cats to the NIT, that over the next eight years not only would the Cats have another title and four Final Four runs, but in those years my favorite Wildcats would be players as legendary as: 2010 John Wall 2011 Brandon Knight 2012 Anthony Davis 2013 Nerlens Noel 2014 Julius Randle 2015 Karl Anthony Towns 2016 Jamal Murray snd 2017 DeAaron Fox, I would have been delirious with joy. And that's exactly what happened.

Cynics will say, 'Md, wouldn't you rather win titles?' Sure. In my 50 years of fandom, Kentucky has won four, good for second overall to UCLA and its one good decade. The Cats have been to 11 Final Fours in that half century. By any measure Calipari is well ahead of any pace in winning championships, and giving Kentucky a legitimate shot to win, in my lifetime.

Why post this now? Because I've been nauseated by the negativity on this board since the Cats fell a John Higgins officiated game short of a fifth Final Four in eight years. You all better enjoy these times. In case you are too young and, or stupid to realize it, they won't last forever and what comes next will likely not be as good.
Fixed.

Reactions: Cat78Scot

Why post this now? Because I've been nauseated by the negativity on this board since the Cats fell a last second shot short of a fifth Final Four in eight years. You all better enjoy these times. In case you are too young and, or stupid to realize it, they won't last forever and what comes next will likely not be as good.

I'm the same.

I understand why you love this era of Kentucky basketball. But not sure why anyone would love the "one-and-done." Drives me nuts. That certainly doesn't mean that I haven't loved the players we've had and the success as well. But I prefer to have my players hang around a bit.

I mentioned in another thread, there is a glass half full approach to it ... with a lot of turnover you get to enjoy a lot MORE players. For me that offsets not having them stay longer.

First team I watched every game of was in 1994 with my dad, and I've never had more fun as a UK fan than these last few years. The wins, the players, the publicity, the recruiting buzz, making even random weeknight NBA games fun to watch--it's all been great.

Would four titles in 8 seasons be great? Absolutely. Could Davis has blown up his knee against Baylor and we be sitting at zero? Yep.

I'm very happy with Cal and where we are as a program. I think if we get the NC in '15 there would be a lot less bitching around here but I could be wrong as it seems that's the only reason some are here. Cal's ahead of the curve with a NC in 8 seasons but 2 would be twice as good and I wouldn't have this huge scar from that loss.

Agree OP. The one and done is like sensory overload for getting to experience elite players that will also be special at the next level. We've always had very good players at UK, but they rarely did much once they left here.

You can look at our seasons now one of two ways. Get pissed every year when we show our talent at the beginning and start to look horrible at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb as teams adjust, or you can revel in it knowing that you are about to see the caterpillar turn into a butterfly and have a real chance to win the whole thing. I really enjoy watching their individual growth come together as a team.

I'd love to have 1-2 more Championships (and probably should have them), but the way things are now are as fun as they've ever been for me.

can revel in it knowing that you are about to see the caterpillar turn into a butterfly and have a real chance to win the whole thing. I really enjoy watching their individual growth come together as a team.

That's a good point too. I enjoy watching that molding of a young group of individuals into a team as well.

I've been a fan since 1957 and the Calipari era is the best I have experienced! The loss in 1966 of the "Runts" was my biggest disappointment but there have been many others which really hurt. 2010, 2015 and this past season were years where we should have won, but all it takes is one or two bad breaks or bad calls and the rest is history.
Enjoy the ride folks as we will never see it this good again. Just my two cents.

i agree Cal is the only coach i want it is going to be miserable when he is gone. THE ONLY thing i wish i could change is Cal somehow does somthing to get the kids back that have no chance of being picked, or are 2nd rounders. We all hate K, and williams but they excel in that area, not only do they get good players back, K got Jayson williams to come back and he was projected #1 freakin pick! And ofcourse, they won it all.

Thats all i would change but i cant so its not a big deal, im not giving Cal up over it.

Reactions: Blueaz
To this day I think Joe B Hall was also a good recruiter and coach. He followed a Legend and did a very decent job. Think about this he almost brought in Ralph Sampson, Jeff Ruland, Poodles Willoughby (sp) and Darrell Dawkins. I think Joe would have had a dynasty. All of the above seriously considered UK. Use to get a Street and Smith's basketball yearbook and depend on word of mouth and that was the extent of recruiting news. Today is different free info is out there every where.

I love the program more now than ever. Coach Cal is the man preparing 2 to 3 years ahead. I agree for a lot of reasons that I'd like to see a 2 year rule allowed by the NBA players assoc. This is a fantastic run by coach Calipari. Looking every day for a crumb of info on recruits and UK. Cal is ahead of the curve by a long shot. I think as we stand now UK could be a fantastic transition team next year and I hope we can add 2 more players!
Thanks MdWIldcat55 I'm with you brother! BBN

Cal has had the #1 or 2 recruiting class every year. He has 1 title to show for it. At the same time Roy has won how many championships? And Pitino.......? His players first stuff is getting old.

Reactions: kycatw\claws
Cal has had the #1 or 2 recruiting class every year. He has 1 title to show for it. At the same time Roy has won how many championships? And Pitino.......? His players first stuff is getting old.

And we completely ignore that UNC won it this year and we didn't arguably because of one last second shot, which neither coach had any control over.

I'm sorry, I just see the One and Done era as a necessary evil to reaching the ultimate goal of the success that we're having. I still like the multi year player like Hawkins and Willis. Wish we had more of them.

Simple answer: because 'this era' is one-and-done! And UK for the 1st time in my lifetime is ahead of the pack. Would you trade places with anyone??

you nailed it
i love the Cal/OAD era
i agree for the first time in a long time UK is the leader of the pack
we would all love more championships and that can be said about every coach and every era we have ever had, and from every fanbase (who does not love winning titles)
i have also really gotten into the recruiting aspect of the OAD era

Reactions: railroadkat_1
I'm sorry, I just see the One and Done era as a necessary evil to reaching the ultimate goal of the success that we're having. I still like the multi year player like Hawkins and Willis. Wish we had more of them.
whether it be OAD or four and done the goal is winning

Reactions: Titles1
When Cal leaves then reality will hit some folks. It ain't been this good here since Rupp in the 40's and 50's.
It wasn't this good here WHEN Coach Rupp was our leader. I was around and know. Basketball has changed so much.

Mr. Rupp hung 4 banners in 43 years....and he is solely responsible for creating our tradition. For that we should keep his name on our Arena.

But Cal's 8 years are the most stunning of my long life. These are the good ole days...

It wasn't this good here WHEN Coach Rupp was our leader. I was around and know. Basketball has changed so much.

Mr. Rupp hung 4 banners in 43 years....and he is solely responsible for creating our tradition. For that we should keep his name on our Arena.

But Cal's 8 years are the most stunning of my long life. These are the good ole days...
Rupp won 4 titles in a 10 year span and could have another in 54' if Hagan is not declared ineligible for the tourney.
No other coach at UK has come close to that. Cal certainly could and I'm sure hoping he does.

Rupp won 4 titles in a 10 year span and could have another in 54' if Hagan is not declared ineligible for the tourney.
No other coach at UK has come close to that. Cal certainly could and I'm sure hoping he does.
You're quoting facts, and are correct.
I'm offering first hand opinion. My family knew Coach Rupp. I saw a bunch of games in the 50's/60's. He was the best of his time. His time. His time...

You're quoting facts, and are correct.
I'm offering first hand opinion. My family knew Coach Rupp. I saw a bunch of games in the 50's/60's. He was the best of his time. His time. His time...
Rupp is who made UK the job it is today. Cal has taken what Rupp built and taken it to the next level. Both are the best of their time IMO. But even Cal knows who made UK.

Rupp is who made UK the job it is today. Cal has taken what Rupp built and taken it to the next level. Both are the best of their time IMO. But even Cal knows who made UK.
Absolutely! I am a HUGE Coach Rupp fan. Cal and others are standing on his shoulders.

Find another team then. The two you mentioned need you!

This. I puke in my mouth a little everytime someone talks about how these players are the best. They all weren't the best while they were here or another set of them would have a title.

Followed the Cats closely since I was a kid when Joe B. was coach. The closest thing to what Cal has done was Pitino's run for a couple years before he bolted. Cal has done it in an era where guys are bigger, stronger, & faster. This is the hardest era to win a championship in with the way talent is mixed. We see it every year now with multiple major tourney upsets, whether it be conference tourneys or the NCAA. And so far, with the exception of one year I felt like we've had a shot to compete for a title. Heaven forbid we ever have a down year like most major schools. This run is so much fun.

Agreed, although I'm not a fan of one and done (harder to have that connection with the team) I am a huge fan of what Cal has done here.

I greatly prefer having 4 yr starters... and seeing them recognized on senior day... getting to know the players... and watching them improve over the course of four seasons instead of one. Cal has stated he does too... but also that it's not going back... and that's probably in the best interest of most of kids we recruit.

The only stuff getting old is the constant bashing and whining some of the wannabe fans on here daily. Grow up.

When all is said, and done, Coach Cal will be “mentioned” in the same breath as Coach Rupp and his momentous effect on our program building. Meaning his effect will carry on many more years than his tenure. What Coach Rupp did in the 50’s/60’s…building our program to “Cream of the Crop” status…well…Coach Cal has done that for us in a modern-day setting. Which some will argue is much more difficult.

Like many on here, I’m older and have followed UK basketball since the mid 70’s. Coach Pitino could have had the same effect, and did to a much lesser effect, but departed for the NBA. And when he returned to Loserville, it pretty much negated what he did for our program in most fans eyes.

I personally wanted Coach Cal back when we ended up getting BCG. I also wanted Coach Donavon. Yes, it took a few years later, but I wouldn’t even consider another coach than Cal. One and done or not, I can’t get enough of what’s happening with our program right now. Young folks: cherish these days and tell your grandkids about it.

Since Cal has been at Kentucky

Roy Williams= 222 wins 78 loses 2 final fours and 1 NCAA championship
Rick Pitino= 216 wins 70 loses 2 final fours and 1 NCAA championship
John Calipari= 249 wins 53 loses 4 final fours and 1 NCAA championship

head to head vs
Louisville 8 wins and 2 losses, 2-0 in the NCAA tournament, and beat them in the final four.
head to head vs
North Carolina 5 wins 3 losses, 1-1 in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: oldfanofuk
I don't like the kids stay only one year- but that is nature of college basketball today if you want the top talent. So I accept it and wish them well. Plus there is no doubt Cal has been a great coach and provided exciting times for UK fans. It's been great fun so far.

ADVERTISEMENT