ADVERTISEMENT

I haven’t seen much posted about...

kev69

All-American
Feb 26, 2007
My sweet Gizmo 2002-2018
...this, but how clutch was Tyler making both of those free throws?

Crazy environment, and the game hanging on whether he made none, 1, or both, and he calmly swished both.

Not much was written about that, but if he misses one or both, we probably lose. Think about that for a second. We would instead be talking about pissing away a 17 point lead and giving up 53 second half points, now we’re celebrating our best win of the season.

Crazy environment, and the game hanging on whether he made none, 1, or both, and he calmly swished both.

Not much was written about that, but if he misses one or both, we probably lose. Think about that for a second. We would instead be talking about pissing away a 17 point lead and giving up 53 second half points, now we’re celebrating our best win of the season.
I want him at the line 10 out of 10 times in that situation

I think he's so clutch at the line we don't worry about it much, but big time shots for sure.

Tyler Herro over his last 6 games:

50% FG

41.4% 3pt FG

100% FT

The kid was clearly underrated coming out of HS. Him and Keldon. If we are gonna bash Cal on some of his misses (i.e. Quade), we have to shake his hand for his makes. Herro could be one of college basketballs best players if he were to come back next year.

You just knew he was making those. His three to answer the Auburn three was clutch as well.

Auburn got hot from three which was their only chance to win imo. No inside game minus Wiley.

Kid can’t shoot, didn’t he hear?

Man I wish we could keep some of these guys for 4 years and see how they grow. I could sure live with 2 though.
I think we all thought Herro would be anywhere from 2-4 years. Knew he was good, but I wish he was the net Rex or Jeff and here for awhile. Who knows maybe he's a boarder line 1st-2nd rd guy and comes back because he enjoys college. Funny 3 weeks ago most of us probably thought we would have Ashton and Herro back next year for sure. We just need to take advantage of their amazing play and take #9 this year and bring Travis home for the FF.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
If Herro works hard over the summer and you know he will, he could be hell on wheels if he were to come back for one more year. He might even be that by the end of this season the way he is playing.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I think he's so clutch at the line we don't worry about it much, but big time shots for sure.

Tyler Herro over his last 6 games:

50% FG

41.4% 3pt FG

100% FT
Wow, I didn’t realize he’s shot it that well.

The thing I like about him and Hagans, even when their shooting may be off, they still do everything else at a high level.

The kid was clearly underrated coming out of HS. Him and Keldon. If we are gonna bash Cal on some of his misses (i.e. Quade), we have to shake his hand for his makes. Herro could be one of college basketballs best players if he were to come back next year.

Next year? he and kj both can be two of the best this year. suck it badgers.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Tyler’s mechanics at the line are perfect but what makes all that work is he is so relaxed. If you look at him on the line you can’t tell if it’s at the beginning of the game or at the end to tie or win the game. Cool hand Tyler.

Reactions: wildcatwelder

Yes those are big shots. He is a stud.

Close not only counts in horseshoes and hand gernades, but in wins too.
I can't even fathom the meltdown had we lost.

I have a hard time seeing Herro's game translating to much production in the NBA. He will always be a defensive liability against NBA guards. He's pretty bad in college. But, honestly, that's not the bigger issue as I see it.

I'm unsure he has the length to play 2 in the NBA. He's a 2 and nothing else. The one position the NBA has loads of. It's an expendable position if production isn't there.

In the end I think it will come down to what team he lands with next season. If they leave him out to dry, his career will likely be short and unnoteworthy. If he lands in a place with a mentor, a good coach, and a decent PG that can help him...he could have a good career. Reminds a lot of JJ Reddick.

Agreed 100%. Cal has done this a lot the last couple of years. Booker, Alexander, Herro are all great examples of how good of a talent evaluator that Cal is. He’s got his number of top 10 prospects over the years but he knows a good player when he sees one. I would love to see Cal’s ranking of the top 100 of a given class. I bet it would be completely different then Rivals rankings, 247 or any of the other outlets that put out rankings. No outlet had Herro as a 5 star that I can remember. I’m willing to bet on Cal’s personal rankings that Herro was top 10 in last year‘s class. Herro wasn’t just who we got because everyone else was taken. He is who Cal wanted.

I have a hard time seeing Herro's game translating to much production in the NBA. He will always be a defensive liability against NBA guards. He's pretty bad in college.

Haters gonna hate. Not sure why you continued your rambling nonsense after this. It's pretty clear you know nothing about basketball and just want to bash a kid who can play.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC43
We got a terrible road whistle , they hacked , beat , flopped , while we were forced to play though contact. Then the big phantom F1 on PJ . But when we got up 17 the stripes TOTALLY controlled the game for several posessions . So would this board been in melt down mode ? Yes , for good cause. I think thats why BBN is so thrilled with this W , Auburn hit some insane threes , the refs stuck it in us , and we still beat them .. And YES Tyler is coming into his own . All that crap from internet shooting coaches about his feet , his elbow , his need to go straight up -- was just that CRAP . Same with Fox his year here . Near everyone was agreement he couldnt shoot for 9/10's of the year , even though his stroke was great .
So Go Tyler Go , and Come back Tyler come back :)

Our defense in the 2nd half was subpar to say the least. I know they made them but we forced Auburn into ALOT of deep threes.

I would not say the defense was that bad. You knew Auburn was going to make a run. They always have at least one 5 or 6 minute run every game. The difference in this game compared to other games, UK actually had a nice lead on them. Other teams are hanging around, it will be a 5 or 6 point game, Auburn goes on one of those runs and its game over. They go from being up 5 to up 16-18. They hit some really tough, circus shots during that run where you just tip your hat and go back down to the other end.

I have a hard time seeing Herro's game translating to much production in the NBA. He will always be a defensive liability against NBA guards. He's pretty bad in college. But, honestly, that's not the bigger issue as I see it.

I'm unsure he has the length to play 2 in the NBA. He's a 2 and nothing else. The one position the NBA has loads of. It's an expendable position if production isn't there.

In the end I think it will come down to what team he lands with next season. If they leave him out to dry, his career will likely be short and unnoteworthy. If he lands in a place with a mentor, a good coach, and a decent PG that can help him...he could have a good career. Reminds a lot of JJ Reddick.

well Reddick is NBA starter and has enjoyed a long career .

What in the hell are you watching?

Herro is our 2nd best defender and our all around best player. I have zero idea how what you’re watching.

BTW, your comparison to Reddick is stereotypical to say the least. However, if you want to go down that road, Reddick was one of the greatest guards in college history and a damn good NBA player.

Some of you people are just freaking ignorant.

You probably think Keldon Johnson is a good defender. Let me tell you something, KJ has a to improve on defensively.

Do you actually watch the games?

Last edited:
Yes. I do. I watched one sequence where Herro’s defensive assignment for each given possession scored 6 straight possessions.

If Herro gets with good, well run team and capable teammates I think he could hve a good career. A la Reddick. His game and attributes remind me of Reddick. If Herro stayed in college I could see him becoming a huge impact player like Reddick was. But he won’t. He will go pro after this season. And I’m not convinced he is a guarantee talent at that level. Landing with a bad team could delay his progress and him playing in China in 4 years. Or it could go totally the other way.

It’ll be interesting to watch him develop. I hope he lands in a good situation.

Yes. I do. I watched one sequence where Herro’s defensive assignment for each given possession scored 6 straight possessions.

If Herro gets with good, well run team and capable teammates I think he could hve a good career. A la Reddick. His game and attributes remind me of Reddick. If Herro stayed in college I could see him becoming a huge impact player like Reddick was. But he won’t. He will go pro after this season. And I’m not convinced he is a guarantee talent at that level. Landing with a bad team could delay his progress and him playing in China in 4 years. Or it could go totally the other way.

It’ll be interesting to watch him develop. I hope he lands in a good situation.
I think you need to keep watching. Herro is anything but a defensive liability. Highest motor on the team. Does the little things on defense that translate into momentum in critical moments. His off the ball play is phenomenal. Better athlete than Reddick. Don’t stuff Herro into a box because he is a white boy with a slick stroke.

He did some stuff in the second half tonight that was impressive. Creating his shot and driving the ball to the basket avoiding contact to get the buckets.

He is improving every game. That’s a great sign of things to come. Seems highly motivated. I still think he goes pro at the end of the season. I hope he does. Likely means UK finished well.

Wow, I didn’t realize he’s shot it that well.

The thing I like about him and Hagans, even when their shooting may be off, they still do everything else at a high level.

And THAT Is why we were in every game minus the Duke game. He still played good defense and does a lot of stuff that don't show up in the stat sheet. Most of us knew what kind of player he was, he just needed to gain more confidence.

ADVERTISEMENT