ADVERTISEMENT

I have no idea what Jacob Toppin brings to this team

You show a limited understanding of the game when you base on if a guy is playing well or not on whether to not he is putting up big numbers on offense. Toppin is never gonna be big scorer. The LSU game was an aberration. But he’s playing a solid floor game with 11 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal and 2 blocks with 4 minutes left.
His offensive ineptitude hurts us. Just like Wheeler. He plays far too many minutes.

Like Wheeler, he needs to have his minutes limited and focus on doing the things that help this team win (for him it’s rebounds, tip-ins, blocking shot). If Toppin takes more than 5 shots, he is costing us possessions.

• Haha
Reactions: shodaman
His offensive ineptitude hurts us. Just like Wheeler. He plays far too many minutes.

Like Wheeler, he needs to have his minutes limited and focus on doing the things that help this team win (for him it’s rebounds, tip-ins, blocking shot). If Toppin takes more than 5 shots, he is costing us possessions.
you cant even admit he had a bery solid game.

The advanced analytics show he is one of the 5 players on the floor when we are at our best. The results show that too.

Toppin played well tonight. He’s not the offensive juggernaut we saw in the Bahamas. But as I said, he’s a versatile defender. And is the one guy on the floor who can break a zone from the middle.

Wallace-Reeves-Fredrick-Toppin-Tshiebwe is the A lineup and Cal finally sees it. Maybe you should too.

You show a limited understanding of the game when you base on if a guy is playing well or not on whether to not he is putting up big numbers on offense. Toppin is never gonna be big scorer. The LSU game was an aberration. But he’s playing a solid floor game with 11 rebounds, 4 assists, a steal and 2 blocks with 4 minutes left.
His problem isn't that he's not a big scorer, his problem is that he tries to be. He takes too many shots, tries to post up, tries to drive on people. That's not what he's good at and it kills us when he does it. But he's a good defender, a good rebounder, and we saw today he's good in the middle of a zone (and it was a difference that Wallace could actually feed the ball to the middle of the zone). Coming into today he was 3rd on the team in field goal attempts, but he needs to reduce his attempts to when he has a good shot in the flow of the offense or on an offensive rebound, not try to create for himself.

The advanced analytics show he is one of the 5 players on the floor when we are at our best. The results show that too.

Toppin played well tonight. He’s not the offensive juggernaut we saw in the Bahamas. But as I said, he’s a versatile defender. And is the one guy on the floor who can break a zone from the middle.

Wallace-Reeves-Fredrick-Toppin-Tshiebwe is the A lineup and Cal finally sees it. Maybe you should too.
I see a guy who hasn’t improved in the very areas where improvement are needed.

I’m glad his good outweighed his bad tonight. But don’t think for a minute he won’t be exposed again as the season goes on.

Jalen Wilson from KU against Toppin is going to be a nightmare for us. But plenty of guys not as good as Wilson have made Toppin their b%tch.

Reactions: catben
His problem isn't that he's not a big scorer, his problem is that he tries to be. He takes too many shots, tries to post up, tries to drive on people. That's not what he's good at and it kills us when he does it. But he's a good defender, a good rebounder, and we saw today he's good in the middle of a zone (and it was a difference that Wallace could actually feed the ball to the middle of the zone). Coming into today he was 3rd on the team in field goal attempts, but he needs to reduce his attempts to when he has a good shot in the flow of the offense or on an offensive rebound, not try to create for himself.
Great points.

And that’s what I was getting at when I said when he takes more than five shots he is costing us possessions.

He still missed WAY too many open shots.

If he could just hit 45%, we will get back to the top 10.
I agree his shot is off and more offense is needed, but the hustle, defense, and rebounding were impressive (minus the time he gave up the layup with 1 second left😬😬)

I agree his shot is off and more offense is needed, but the hustle, defense, and rebounding were impressive (minus the time he gave up the layup with 1 second left😬😬)
Oh I agree!! His defense(except for the out of bounds play) and rebounding were great!!

My point was if he could knock down MORE of those jumpers, we are going to be MUCH better!!

We NEED him to make more easy shots. CJ too!! If those 2 can get more shots to go down, we can be a Final 4 team!!

Reactions: ukfan041
we score 85 points win the game and people come on here to trash sorry critisize player that has a double double and a couple of blocks smh

Reactions: Seakat311
Yeah, so statistics just aren’t as simple as that. Did the guy not play damn near every minute?

I wish that my mind were is simplistic as yours! Life would be easier. The fact that you think that the cited data means that it’s the end of the thread is terrifying.
Cope harder

we score 85 points win the game and people come on here to trash sorry critisize player that has a double double and a couple of blocks smh

I will say for the OP that this post was made around halftime and up to that point Toppin hadn't had that good of a game. He really stepped up in the 2nd half. Still a game is 40 minutes. I don't get why people rush to make such comments when there is still another half left to be played. It is what is I guess.

Too many posters on this site have NO idea how the game is played. Good opportunity to educate them as you did in this post. Thank you!

• Love
Reactions: mattrudd
I will say for the OP that this post was made around halftime and up to that point Toppin hadn't had that good of a game. He really stepped up in the 2nd half. Still a game is 40 minutes. I don't get why people rush to make such comments when there is still another half left to be played. It is what is I guess.
if he is going to critize the players i think he desrves it right back. thats why I don't post till the game is over

Jacob's doing better .. Its a start . Got a while to go to get where the team needs him to be for us to be a top 15 team or so . But he starts sulking again we are screwed .

He can be a frustrating player in that he has enough physical tools that it’s easy to imagine him as a more productive player than he’s often been in reality. He’s quick enough and long enough to be a disruptive defender, but he loses focus and attention to detail too much and gives up easy baskets at times. With his length and leaping ability, you’d think he could live grabbing offensive rebounds and finishing at the rim, but too often he seems afraid of contact and content to launch a barrage of highly inconsistent mid-range jumpers.

To his credit though, I feel like he’s really stepped up his toughness and rebounding in the past couple of games in addition to facilitating more and hunting shots a little less on offense. That version of him can still help us win games even if it’s not the superstar turn some were expecting. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Toppin is +10 and +14 in UK's last 2 games

We need that Toppin that does a little bit of everything. When we get that Toppin, he has a positive part in the games. When he tries to be that scorer guy that's not his game. Just let the game flow come to you.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
He can be a frustrating player in that he has enough physical tools that it’s easy to imagine him as a more productive player than he’s often been in reality. He’s quick enough and long enough to be a disruptive defender, but he loses focus and attention to detail too much and gives up easy baskets at times. With his length and leaping ability, you’d think he could live grabbing offensive rebounds and finishing at the rim, but too often he seems afraid of contact and content to launch a barrage of highly inconsistent mid-range jumpers.

To his credit though, I feel like he’s really stepped up his toughness and rebounding in the past couple of games in addition to facilitating more and hunting shots a little less on offense. That version of him can still help us win games even if it’s not the superstar turn some were expecting. Hopefully he can keep it up.
He’s only going to be a facilitator against the zone. He did do a good job there, but I’m not sure how much teams will zone us.

Toppin in the second half was what he needs to be all the time.

Defense, rebounding, energy plays, passing (especially when Georgia went zone). That's when he's at his best, and it's exactly what we need.
Aside from giving up wide open threes, getting beat in that inbounds play, missing wild shots - yes.

Cal really needs to tell him that he should never be 3/10 from the field because he should never take 10 shots - unless they are layups and lobs and dunks (in which case he'd be closer to 8/10).

We win by a wider margin if he gives five of his shots to Oscar or Cason.

ADVERTISEMENT