ADVERTISEMENT

I Don't Understand What The Uproar Regarding Cal Is About?

Chuckinden

All-American
Jun 12, 2006
Yeah, we lost a top recruit that we have been working on for years and I understand that part, but things changed for this kid that took us out of the picture.

Hardaway was his high school coach.
Hardaway is a former NBA star.
Hardaway is now the college coach in Wiseman's back yard.

It's not Cal's fault. He never really had a chance when they named Hardaway as coach. From what I've read, I firmly believe if all those things hadn't happened, Cal would have gotten Wiseman.

There is other things we can bitch about regarding Cal, but this isn't one of them.

It is the inability to land top-5 talent, and the 6-25+ ranked players leaving after a year or before they have really made an impact for the program.

I would still rather have Calipari than just about anyone out there. But it's clear he needs an ace recruiter on his staff and he hasn't had that since Orlando Antigua left.

He can’t land Top 5 recruits anymore, which his entire model is built around, that’s a huge problem.

To be fair 99.9% of other schools and Coaches can’t land top 5 recruits either ?

We know for a fact Duke is cheating/ paying to get the top guys. As in fact , not speculation.

We have maxey and KW lined up for next year and they’re borderline elite (without a doubt top 10... top 5 by seasons end perhaps)

Yeah, we lost a top recruit that we have been working on for years and I understand that part, but things changed for this kid that took us out of the picture.

It's not Cal's fault. He never really had a chance when they named Hardaway as coach. From what I've read, I firmly believe if all those things hadn't happened, Cal would have gotten Wiseman.

There is other things we can bitch about regarding Cal, but this isn't one of them.
We've lost multiple recruits over the last 4 years.

Well, I knew we weren’t getting Wiseman three months ago. I assumed most people that were paying attention knew this also.

It not a big deal. Hardaway was hired with the expectation of landing him. It’s the way recruiting is now.

We’re getting our fair share of recruits. Cal now needs to coach better. This current team has uptempo, in your face, press your asses off, written all over.. They played this way in the Bahamas and looked great.

Why we’re not playing that way now is just stupid.

To be fair 99.9% of other schools and Coaches can’t land top 5 recruits either ?

We know for a fact Duke is cheating/ paying to get the top guys. As in fact , not speculation.

We have maxey and KW lined up for next year and they’re borderline elite (without a doubt top 10... top 5 by seasons end perhaps)
99.9% of other schools aren’t trying to run a one and done factory. Without a shot blocker, Cal’s defensive philosophy is pure garbage. If he can’t land the guys he really wants, he settles for what’s left and those guys don’t typically fit how he likes to play. Hence, what you’ve been watching lately.

99.9% of other schools aren’t trying to run a one and done factory. Without a shot blocker, Cal’s defensive philosophy is pure garbage. If he can’t land the guys he really wants, he settles for what’s left and those guys don’t typically fit how he likes to play. Hence, what you’ve been watching lately.
I agree about the lackadaisical, non pressing defensive philosophies of Cal.

It’s basically switch, and double the big stiff in the paint, who then throws it back out to the wide open three point shooter.

You are right that 99 percent most other schools can't land these kids either. However, the difference is, those schools get the majority of their underclassmen back the next year. They may lose one guy, but they are not forced to replenish the vast majority of their roster year in and year out.

One of these days the UK fans will long for John Calipari. I hope he leaves after this year and gives the idiots the finger on his way out of town.

CAL'S getting beat at his own game and not making any adjustments.
having said that who else would you want.
no one comes to mind to me

Bill Self is a very good coach. While he gets talent back most cases his 2 out of 3 top players return each year he still doesn't win enough to KU standards. I know they went to the Final 4 last year but his talent is always top 3-5 in the country. They win the Big 12 then lose in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. But not many KU fans blame him or bash him.

In Cal's case he is doing what Self has done these past 4 years. The difference is Cal losses all 3 of his top players every year after a Sweet 16 run. Cal is so much better then Self at coaching players that if he went Self path he'd be in the FF almost every year. This is why we are on him when you lose this much talent at Kentucky every year you gotta get a top 3 talent.

Borderline elite can work if they stick around. Most of our guys leave after one year (sometimes two) if they’re borderline or even a notch below. I’m a UK fan but we have slipped in the past few years.

Reactions: gbl97
Well, I knew we weren’t getting Wiseman three months ago. I assumed most people that were paying attention knew this also.

It not a big deal. Hardaway was hired with the expectation of landing him. It’s the way recruiting is now.

We’re getting our fair share of recruits. Cal now needs to coach better. This current team has uptempo, in your face, press your asses off, written all over.. They played this way in the Bahamas and looked great.

Why we’re not playing that way now is just stupid.

I agree with most of your post. However, in the team’s we play now are slightly more motivated. In the Bahamas, the opposing team saw us as an impediment to getting to the bars and getting laid. Now, we represent the biggest game of the season for almost every team.

Cal is too hard headed. He seems to set his mind on one recruit and ignore others who may be just as good or even better. When the dust settles he is left holding an empty bag.

It has happened so often lately you'd think he would know better.:(

Last edited:
I'm just surprised by how many people seem surprised by today's news.

I've been expecting Wiseman to choose Memphis since the day they hired Penny. In fact, I figured that's basically why they hired Penny.

This is getting exhausting. So many threads devolving into the same debate. Here's what it all boils down to - do you trust Coach Cal or not?

I still trust him and here's why. As with most things there's an ebb and flow to it. Coach Cal was red hot for a while. He skewed the landscape to some degree. Naturally, there were powerful reactions to the success. The element of surprise has subsided and the dominance has faded while competing for the best players is now harder due to the introduction of creative benefits.

The playing field has leveled but I still want Coach Cal at the helm competing with the rest.

The freaks come out at night, the freak come out at night...cue synthetic and drum machines...get ready to read 1500 passive aggressive posts w micro agressions towards UK and Cal from our very own ,ahem, "fans..."
Am I walking on Sunshine (pumper)?
Go Big Blue!
We missed on JW, memphis only had to pay 3.5 million to get him. JW will make the nba but ncaa champion, his odds went from -250, +1500.
Next up!!!

We've lost multiple recruits over the last 4 years.
Make a point man. Here you go again, why dont you mention what he has done? Dis you not see my post last night showing that Cal has done more with his top classes than Duke has. There are some recruiting losses that you can be mad about. THIS is not one of them. Hometown, High School Coach, etc. We lost him once they hire Penny.

Reactions: JC43
The freaks come out at night, the freak come out at night...cue synthetic and drum machines...get ready to read 1500 passive aggressive posts w micro agressions towards UK and Cal from our very own ,ahem, "fans..."
Am I walking on Sunshine (pumper)?
Go Big Blue!
We missed on JW, memphis only had to pay 3.5 million to get him. JW will make the nba but ncaa champion, his odds went from -250, +1500.
Next up!!!
AWSOME !!

Yes, the tragic plummet from #1 to #2, it's a real eye opener.

Most years that isn't a huge difference, but this year the drop from 1 to 2 is more like 1 to 20 (a bit of an exaggeration). There just is no comparison between Duke's top 3 players and our players from that recruiting class. I'm not sure if the 3 next best players of that class would even come close to them.

It is just people complaining.

I’ll take the classes he’s recruited the last 4 years over any class Tubby or Clyde brought in. This team will be fine.

Reactions: CatfanMike47

Frank, you’re correct. Our recruiting is more than good enough.

We have plenty of talent every season.

We just need to coach them better.

Reactions: JC43
Frank, you’re correct. Our recruiting is more than good enough.

We have plenty of talent every season.

We just need to coach them better.

Oh I’m in agreement that something* has to change. Cals bread and butter has been the top 1-5elite guys. It’s easier to carry a freshman laden team if you have a Zion, wall, Davis etc.

Reactions: Farsight
Today he sounded defeated. I hated hearing him say he’s a overrated recruiter. The man needs to do whatever again to get kids. Times changed

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
The Ass whipping from Duke was a HUGE awakening,because a few years back,WE were that team.

Not only that, but this year's UK team - with four veteran rotation players (all Mickey D All-Americans, mind you) was supposed to be the template of the "we'll be fine if a bunch of these guys come back" paradigm.

Then they appropriately got blown out in historic fashion by a team constructed the way we used to be.

In other words, the new paradigm looks rather inferior to the one we already had.

Reactions: Alayyahfuqyaself
Today he sounded defeated. I hated hearing him say he’s a overrated recruiter. The man needs to do whatever again to get kids. Times changed

I think it should start with fake SAT scores and proceed to valuable real estate, stock interests, and heavily funded paypal accounts.

We can't win this war with our current strategy. It's time for total war. If the village of fake ethics burns down in the process, so be it.

ADVERTISEMENT