ADVERTISEMENT

I appreciate Cal and don't think we should expect more than one title a decade

loucatfan

Junior
Jul 6, 2005
Having coached I was always amazed at the amount of growth, strength, hand eye coordination and learning comprehension from one year to the next. I realize that from 18 to 21 it is not as dramatic as in HS but it is still a huge difference each year. Also in many cases you don't know who will develop and who will not. I think it is amazing Cal has done as well as he has.

Add to that learning a system for four years versus six months .

It sure beats the Tubby final years and CBC. We were irrelevant and he brought us back to being in the conversation every year. and as was pointed out last week in an unbiased article Kentucky basketball is the only honest program out there.

As I have said I love Cal and appreciate him. Having said that I would opt for a hybrid system. having the best three one and does each year and reserve the other ten scholarships for legitimate 4 star players like Hawkins and Willis who will wait their turn and always have three or four of them as Jr's and Sr's in the rotation of eight. But that's just me. If Cal wants it otherwise I'm glad we have him .

I think like Brianpoe said, what 5* players do you give up for players who are going to sit a few years?

I personally think we're great as it is (maybe emotion got a hold of me yesterday), because we're consistently making very deep tournament runs with these freshmen, and if it wasn't for bad luck or officiating, we would have multiple national championships

Early in Cal's tenure, many of us envisioned a dynastic stretch where we might win 2 or 3 in a five year period or whatever. Dreaming of that is one thing, expecting it is another.

I think we have the perfect coach for our program, and he may never win another title. However, he will keep us relevant. He will keep us in the conversation. He will make sure Kentucky continues to move the needle.

I am sad we did not make the final four, but that was one hell of a Kentucky basketball team. That's a team we can be proud of. I want banners, of course, but I can live without one so long as I can be proud of the team. Cal will always clear that barrier.

Happy with the team and Cal, but we should expect more than 1 a decade considering UNC is soon to have 3 in 12 years, Duke won 2 in the last 7, UCONN won what 2 in the last 6.

All we can realistically (at best) expect and ask for is a chance to win a title on a consistent basis...I think he's done a fantastic job at that. Could we have a couple more titles? Yeah, sure...38-1 team, Wall/Cousins team, Randle/Young vs. UCONN... should have won at least 1-2 from that group. BUT, this is college basketball and so much can affect the outcome...more than you can put on the coach for sure.

Reactions: brianpoe
Happy with the team and Cal, but we should expect more than 1 a decade considering UNC is soon to have 3 in 12 years, Duke won 2 in the last 7, UCONN won what 2 in the last 6.

Cal will deliver. He's here till 2023. Highly unlikely he doesn't win another title in that time. Most likely we'll get four more final fours and another title in that window.

All we can realistically (at best) expect and ask for is a chance to win a title on a consistent basis...I think he's done a fantastic job at that. Could we have a couple more titles? Yeah, sure...38-1 team, Wall/Cousins team, Randle/Young vs. UCONN... should have won at least 1-2 from that group. BUT, this is college basketball and so much can affect the outcome...more than you can put on the coach for sure.

We definitely saw that in the first half yesterday. As for anyone not appreciating Cal, they would either have to be crazy or a troll from another team.

Reactions: d2atTech
Exactly! People need to get a grip. Can't win a championship every year. I'm just thrilled to be in the hunt.

with that said, i think this is one of the better coaching jobs cal has done. this year, 2011, and 2014 took insane work to pull together epic win streaks. i think we over achieved, but that's just my opinion...

Having coached I was always amazed at the amount of growth, strength, hand eye coordination and learning comprehension from one year to the next. I realize that from 18 to 21 it is not as dramatic as in HS but it is still a huge difference each year. Also in many cases you don't know who will develop and who will not. I think it is amazing Cal has done as well as he has.

It sure beats the Tubby final years and CBC. We were irrelevant and he brought us back to being in the conversation every year. and as was pointed out last week in an unbiased article Kentucky basketball is the only honest program out there.

As I have said I love Cal and appreciate him. Having said that I would opt for a hybrid system. having the best three one and does each year and reserve the other ten scholarships for legitimate 4 star players like Hawkins and Willis who will wait their turn and always have three or four of them as Jr's and Sr's in the rotation of eight. But that's just me. If Cal wants it otherwise I'm glad we have him .[/QUOT GREAT POST! You HAVE summed up how I feel about the way I would LOVE to see the program going forward! I'm in the minority for sure, but with loosing so many players after one year, I just feel that something has to change! Not the COACH, just how to keep some good player's around for maturity? Some will say I'm stupid, or not a true fan, but I'm not! I am a BORN AND BREAD A GENUINE UK FANATIC!! I LOVE CAL, I just WISH he would do sort of what you are saying! SORRY FOR THE RANT......[cheers]

Reactions: d2atTech
We've made it to at least the Elite 8 in 6 of the 8 seasons he has been here. That's incredible. More titles would be nice, but we've had a great run with Cal. All we can ask for is to contend. If we keep getting close enough times, eventually we'll get another one.

I'm from Cincinnati and root for the Bengals and Reds (unfortunately). If you think Cal not winning 6 titles by now is a failure try going 23 years without seeing a team in your city advance in the playoffs. Puts a little perspective on the "failure" Cal has been. I know we want the Cats to win it all every year, but we aren't going to. Maybe because I root for the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of UK (great history) and Cincinnati (pitiful) losing in the Elite 8 isn't all that bad to me. Disappointing, certainly, especially the way it happened, but it was a great season.

I'll never understand the logic behind wanting UK to nab the top talent between spring and fall, bragging on the team for a whole season and sandwiched right at the end of the season and before recruits sign....we get this really odd period where some fans want UK to recruit 3-4 star players...sort of a UK-Wichita State recruiting hybrid. Fans blew a gasket when Tubby/BCG did this same thing and now...somehow it's better.

We've made it to at least the Elite 8 in 6 of the 8 seasons he has been here. That's incredible. More titles would be nice, but we've had a great run with Cal. All we can ask for is to contend. If we keep getting close enough times, eventually we'll get another one.

I'm from Cincinnati and root for the Bengals and Reds (unfortunately). If you think Cal not winning 6 titles by now is a failure try going 23 years without seeing a team in your city advance in the playoffs. Puts a little perspective on the "failure" Cal has been. I know we want the Cats to win it all every year, but we aren't going to. Maybe because I root for the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of UK (great history) and Cincinnati (pitiful) losing in the Elite 8 isn't all that bad to me. Disappointing, certainly, especially the way it happened, but it was a great season.
I'm a big braves fan. I feel your pain. Been a few tough rebuilding years.

I'm a big braves fan. I feel your pain. Been a few tough rebuilding years.
We just lost 22-4 to the Cubs yesterday. Going to be a long year. You could combine the best players for the Reds and Braves and they still may only win 70 games.

I have a ton of respect for Cal and what he has done at UK. He does right by his players and gives fans a team they can be proud to root for. We don't have to deal with all of the off the court garbage that a lot of the major programs bring upon themselves. He recruits guys that are high talent and high character.

It's disappointing to lose so close to the promised land but we are always in the hunt and the Cats always play hard for Cal by the end of the year. He will win AT LEAST one more ring before he's done at UK. And I wouldn't bet against him winning several more. Yesterday sucked but all in all it's a great time to be a UK fan.

The thing that gives me comfort is for all the improving generational poverty blah blah blah recruiting shtick that Cal does is every year is that I know there is no chance in hell that he is going to retire from here without at least 2 national titles - making sure he has at least one more than Pitino had here. You just know he wants another title bad.

Reactions: brianpoe
We just lost 22-4 to the Cubs yesterday. Going to be a long year. You could combine the best players for the Reds and Braves and they still may only win 70 games.
I did like the fact y'all practically gave us Brandon Phillips. He's always been one of my fav players. Plus he grew up in Atlanta. Hopefully he has a few good years left.

Reactions: JBHolmesfan
I have been in defense mode the last 24 hours but I want to be very clear as to my take.

I agree that we should have more than one title since Cal arrived, I think he does as well.

My argument is that many of you are so wrong as to why we do not have them.

The OAD has done its job.

Players who shouldn't have left, that Cal didn't recommend they leave, are not true OAD's in Cal's strategy.

All you can ask for in a recruiting strategy is to be competitive enough to win a title.

No recruiting strategy guarantees a title.

So, why do we only have one title?

The same reasons every other team has for losing in the tournament.

1. Lost to a better team.
2. Injuries - Noel, WCS & Randle, Poythress
3. Poor execution by the players in big time games
4. Poor execution by the coach in big time games
5. Terrible referees in big time games

My opinion
2010 - Players and coaching
2011 - Players
2012 - Champs
2013 - Injury, players, and better teams (due to mass exodus in 12)
2014 - Injury, players, coach
2015 - Injury, Coach, players referee
2016 - Players, and better teams
2017 - Players, Coach, referee

Lack of titles has nothing to do with OAD, I can argue why each of these seasons could have won a title with our OAD rosters.*

*Exception: 13 and 16 - which were the result of players leaving unexpectedly.

It's hard to win, it just is. UK has been playing basketball for over a hundred years, and we have eight titles. That's second most all time! It's just hard to win it all. Some people really do have unrealistic expectations.

This year didn't disappoint me. We should have won a few years ago when we were undefeated. That's when it hurts. When you're the favorite and you have to win or it's a failure.

Yeah, Dynasty's are things in the past. Your not going to get that anymore, especially the way Cal coaches and lack of not only chemistry but trust and togetherness. Anthony Davis is one of a kind total game changer plus what he had to support him is why we win in 2012. Yes we get awesome one and done like Fox and Monk but they don't really dominate like Davis did with points, blocks, rebounds and assist. But my point is, even with all that talent there still young and make and do kid mistakes Hell be honest if not for Dom and Humphrey we would have not got as far as we did. But any who. With more and more one and done at power schools and talent going to schools like gonzaga, Dayton, and vcu. No more Dynasty's.

I'll never understand the logic behind wanting UK to nab the top talent between spring and fall, bragging on the team for a whole season and sandwiched right at the end of the season and before recruits sign....we get this really odd period where some fans want UK to recruit 3-4 star players...sort of a UK-Wichita State recruiting hybrid. Fans blew a gasket when Tubby/BCG did this same thing and now...somehow it's better.
We do need the Hawkins and the Willis, etc to flesh out the team

I have been in defense mode the last 24 hours but I want to be very clear as to my take.

I agree that we should have more than one title since Cal arrived, I think he does as well.

Players who shouldn't have left, that Cal didn't recommend they leave, are not true OAD's in Cal's strategy.

All you can ask for in a recruiting strategy is to be competitive enough to win a title.

My opinion
2011 - Players
2012 - Champs

Lack of titles has nothing to do with OAD, I can argue why each of these seasons could have won a title with our OAD rosters.*

Maybe it is not the OAD but the HIGGINS

As I have said I love Cal and appreciate him. Having said that I would opt for a hybrid system. having the best three one and does each year and reserve the other ten scholarships for legitimate 4 star players like Hawkins and Willis who will wait their turn and always have three or four of them as Jr's and Sr's in the rotation of eight. But that's just me. If Cal wants it otherwise I'm glad we have him .
You mean like Oregon, 1st FF since FDR was POTUS. Gonzaga, 1st ever. USC, 1st ever. Watch what happens to UNC once this group leaves. Plus, they still ain't won a title yet.
Not sure what folks want Cal to do. UK fans moaned for years that UK wasn't getting the best talent, now they are and folks are not happy UK isn't winning the title every other year.
Dean Smith coached decades. Just look at the talent that went through there and played multiple years. Two NC's for him. TWO. These things are hard to win.
This conversation comes up every year. Once Cal leaves, and UK is not getting 4-6 MCDAA's every year and are not dominating like they are now, folks will realize just how good things are with Cal right now.

My opinion
2011 - Players
2012 - Champs

'15 is the one that is inexcusable to me. Team had no weakness. Poor end of game coaching and execution. Other than that, things happen in the tourney.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
ADVERTISEMENT