ADVERTISEMENT

I’d take Mick Cronin tomorrow

what happens next year when he looses his whole team that avery johnson recruited?
You understand that he is playing an entirely different system than Johnson....and is having much greater success with the same players...that’s validation, not a knock.

That is not the same as taking over a program that won a championship and followed it up w a runner up and returned a core.

You understand that he is playing an entirely different system than Johnson....and is having much greater success with the same players...that’s validation, not a knock.

That is not the same as taking over a program that won a championship and followed it up w a runner up and returned a core.
ok like i said let see him do it with his own players

what happens next year when he looses his whole team that avery johnson recruited?
You’re crazy. Jd Davidson might be the best pg in the country next year. I don’t know why in the world we weren’t all over him. That kid is a flat out stud. I still love cal but I think Oates may be here one day

Reactions: 1STSergeant

Hes got a point. Remember Kevin Ollie?

I do think Nate Oats might be a coach to watch, for sure. But I do need to see what he can do with multiple teams, especially ones he recruited. Inheriting guys like Petty and Quinerly goes a long way. He was taking over a program that was clearly nearing its "peak".

Chris Beard was the hot talk alllllll season. And its now looking like his Final4 might have been the outlier.

ok like i said let see him do it with his own players
He’s a system guy. He’ll recruit guys that fit his system. I’m sure he won’t have a problem.

he isn’t just getting a group of misfit toys (skill set wise) bc they are in the top 40 hs rankings and then trying to make something new mesh every year.

I’d be fine w Cals stubbornness to play big lineups and deemphasize the 3 in favor of drives, if he’d recruit complimentary pieces and then play 4 out so we aren’t just driving into a clogged lane.

Have a strategy and recruit to it instead of “fk it let’s do it live” every year based in what you get. 3 guard lineups...all bigs....stretch bigs, bruisers..

pick a style and go w it

Last edited:

I do think Nate Oats might be a coach to watch, for sure. But I do need to see what he can do with multiple teams, especially ones he recruited. Inheriting guys like Petty and Quinerly goes a long way. He was taking over a program that was clearly nearing its "peak".

Chris Beard was the hot talk alllllll season. And its now looking like his Final4 might have been the outlier.
A UConn team who had won a title in 2011 and been to the final 4 in 2009. Returning key pieces to their last title team. (Ollie won in ‘13-14’ season; taking over an established program following a HOF coach)

far stretch from Alabama’s last Elite 8 being 2004 and their last 2 tournament appearances being 2018 and 2012. They hadn’t won a SEC reg season since 2002 and a conference tournament since 1991

Last edited:

How about checking what Oates did at Buffalo.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: Cawood86 and UNIVKY
A UConn team who had won a title in 2011 and been to the final 4 in 2009. Returning key pieces to their last title team.

far stretch from Alabama’s last Elite 8 being 2004 and their last 2 tournament appearances being 2018 and 2012.

Fair point. Uconn did have Shabazz as a freshman, there as a senior. Im not sure who else of note.

Again, I think Oats is a guy to watch and he appears certainly better than Ollie. But I need to see more. I dont care what a coach does with just 1 team, especially one that isn't his own. Our next coach can't be a shot in the dark if we can avoid it. It needs to be someone who has proven to have won with multiple teams.

This is hilarious. Those of you saying, "let's see what he does without Avery Johnson's players. Well, one thing we know he can do with them is win the SEC reg season, the SEC Tournament and get them at least to the Sweet 16.

That's not shabby. He also did really well at that juggernaut Buffalo with another coaches players (won the conference tourney his first year.....I see a trend). And then with his own players. Maybe that's why Bama hired him.

Here is a brief bio:

"In Oats' first season as head coach of Buffalo, he led the Bulls to a 3rd place tie in the Mid-American Conference standings. In the MAC Tournament, Buffalo defeated Miami University, Ohio, and then top-seeded Akron to claim the 2016 conference tournament championship.[11] This has been regarded as an impressive feat due to the offseason turnaround that Oats faced. 2015 MAC Player of the Year Justin Moss was dismissed from the University and second-leading scorer Shannon Evans transferred to Arizona State to play for the then-departed Bobby Hurley.[12][13] On May 18, 2016, Buffalo Athletic Director Allen Greene announced that the school had agreed on a new five-year contract with Oats.[14]

In Oats' third season, 2017–18, the Bulls began conference play with eight straight wins, the best conference start in team history.[15] The Bulls finished the 2017–18 MAC schedule with a 15–3 record, and Oats was named MAC coach of the year as the Bulls won outright the conference regular season for the first time in team history.[16] The Bulls went on to win the 2018 MAC tournament.[17] On March 8, 2018, Oats signed a contract extension with the University at Buffalo to remain head basketball coach through 2023.[18] Oats' Buffalo Bulls went on to the 2018 NCAA Tournament seeded 13th in the South Region where they convincingly beat the favored 4th seed Arizona Wildcats 89–68.[19]"

Shackleford and Quinerly probably return. Davison is a top flight PG prospect. Bama could have quite the potent backcourt next season.

Reactions: crawfords corner
look, Cal can adjust and get it fixed...but he can’t keep using the blueprint that has got us here; the landscape changed.

But some of y’all are more concerned with defending Cal then realizing we’ve slipped since 2015 and what made the first 5 years so good isn’t working now.

We don’t have upper class leftovers from the previous coach before the 1 and done, favor the freshman above all else took complete hold. Other schools started recruiting 1nD so we weren’t stockpiling them. The G league is here now....etc. CBB is swinging back towards multi year players bc you can’t get enough of the top 5 guys in one place ona consistent basis and only 1 isn’t enough to carry you (Ben Simmons, Cade Cunningham, Trey Young, Greg Brown, etc etc). You need 3 of them. Zions Duke team is likely the last time we see it and they came short too

Wait these players are not his players ? Did he rent them ? Were they not coached this year by him for about 6 months ? This " not his players " approach is lunacy . Either you can coach or you cant .. like everyone before the season started said " Look out for Bama , Avery Johnson left Oates a LOADED team . Nonsense .

Inheriting guys like Petty and Quinerly goes a long way
Oats didn't inherit Quinnerly. Quinnerly transferred from Nova once Oats took over. Quinnerly, Shackleford, Davidson, and Miles will give Bama possibly the best backcourt in the nation next year and Oats is responsible for bringing 3 of them to Bama.

Edit: I forgot freshman Josh Primos. So he is responsible for 4/5 players in their backcourt next season.

Last edited:
look, Cal can adjust and get it fixed...but he can’t keep using the blueprint that has got us here; the landscape changed.

But some of y’all are more concerned with defending Cal then realizing we’ve slipped since 2015 and what made the first 5 years so good isn’t working now.

We don’t have upper class leftovers from the previous coach before the 1 and done, favor the freshman above all else took complete hold. Other schools started recruiting 1nD so we weren’t stockpiling them. The G league is here now....etc. CBB is swinging back towards multi year players bc you can’t get enough of the top 5 guys in one place ona consistent basis and only 1 isn’t enough to carry you (Ben Simmons, Cade Cunningham, Trey Young, Greg Brown, etc etc). You need 3 of them. Zions Duke team is likely the last time we see it and they came short too
no one said he hasn’t slipped some but i’m willing to see if he can get right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT