ADVERTISEMENT

I’d love to spit some Beechnut in the NCAA’s eye

Xception

All-American
Apr 18, 2007
Galaxy
I posted this in another thread concerning Cal scheduling UNC but felt I wanted to lead off with it instead of burying it in another thread. It’s not meant to debate what you should do or how a fan should approach the recent widespread corruption in college basketball and in particular within the NCAA. I had a lot more to say but the post is borderline long anyway so I’ll just mention a few things.

UK doesn’t have the backbone to do anything and as long as they’re making money, they just don’t care about the same things that fans do. They may object but it’ll be in private, which is the calculated response the NCAA/UNC expect. The more I pondered on the subject the more I came to the conclusion that UK and any other university that takes the high road deserves to be cheated at every opportunity. If you don’t have the guts to stand up to what’s wrong then you are part of the problem, you are an enabler.

Worried about repercussions of demanding consequences, how is being cheated by UNC for decades not a worse repercussion itself. They stole from college basketball, everybody was cheated. But don’t mind me as I am a former fan of college basketball, I’m going to say my peace for awhile and then I’m not following it anymore. The good news is that many will continue to go to the games no matter how much you cheat them.

You have no virtue of any kind anymore, nothing about college bb resembles what made people care about it in the first place. You’re just a money hungry industry that invites the accountants to the infractions meeting. You (NCAA) don’t even care if it’s blatant or that the perception of you is being the most corrupt of any institution in the game.

You send a UNC alumn to Chapel Hill to warn them about the class issue, then you allow UNC to conduct many failed attempts at a limited probe. Then you used a report limited in its scope to make a judgment of zero, but that’s the result you wanted to placate your business partners who are UNC alumni. You didn’t even attempt to investigate yourself, wholesale ignoring of the other issues at UNC as if there weren’t red flags all over the place. Fats Thomas providing cars for players, dental school, naval class, Tami Hanbrough. Let me guess, you didn’t have a specific rule there either or maybe Tami laid down for everybody and that made it ok.

For all we know UNC lined the pockets of the coi and it’s entirely believable, that’s where the perception of the NCAA is at right now. Not that you care unless it impacts the financial data report. I for one see a poisoned sport, I suspected it already but this is undeniable proof. For that I’m done with the game, there’s no doubt that if you are going to endorse cheating then you’ll also cheat the games.

For the years that I thought college had virtues, it was great and I’ll never forget that.

Wow, what a drama queen. What exactly do you think UK can do? The only way the NCAA changes is if all the member schools unite.

Good post. I for one am curious who in the NCAA agreed to ONLY rely on the Wainstein Report (which was solely focused on AFAM studies) as the basis for the NCAA's entire "investigation" of UNC when there were plenty of other potential violations which were never fully investigated and swept under the rug.

Whoever decided that should be at best fired for incompetence, at worst fired & investigated for conspiring with the entity they are supposed to be investigating.

Unfortunately it seems everyone in the national media is either too stupid or too lazy to actually ask these types of questions.

My love of college basketball has been dying a slow death over the years as I have watched Duke and UNCheat skate thru Corey Maggette, Lance Thomas, and Higgins screw job last year. The NCAA ruling on this case was merely pulling the plug on the brain dead patient. I will keep watching the patient in hopes of a miraculous recovery but don't have much faith left.

Good post. I for one am curious who in the NCAA agreed to ONLY rely on the Wainstein Report (which was solely focused on AFAM studies) as the basis for the NCAA's entire "investigation" of UNC when there were plenty of other potential violations which were never fully investigated and swept under the rug.

Whoever decided that should be at best fired for incompetence, at worst fired & investigated for conspiring with the entity they are supposed to be investigating.

Unfortunately it seems everyone in the national media is either too stupid or too lazy to actually ask these types of questions.
NCAA could have come up with that decision in a weekend or two. Took years and proved to be a joke. NCAA and UNCheat are in bed together.

NCAA could have come up with that decision in a weekend or two. Took years and proved to be a joke. NCAA and UNCheat are in bed together.
Good point, how did it take years to determine nothing happened when you leveled 5 major infractions in the NOA? You at a minimum had Boxill emails over women’s bb. That’s just incredible

Reactions: dynastydreamuk

Yep. I was 99.9% sure we got hosed last year. After this ruling, I'm 100% sure. The NCAA will never come down on UNC or Duke. They've invested heavily in these two programs. To tear one down now would undo all of they've built these programs to be.

The NCAA proved yet again that they are a hypocritical joke of a governing body.

JP I think the NCAA wanted to arrive at this judgement all along, every single move they made was the one you had to make to get there.

I agree.............the NCAA did not want to punish one of their "sacred cows". How could good ole Dean Smith been a part of anything fraudulent or illegal. He was a saint in the eyes of the NCAA & of course Dickie V.......the voice of college basketball. How would he look after all these years of preaching about the "Carolina Way", which exudes nothing but "class". Yet if this exact situation had been UK or UNLV when Tark was there, the NCAA would have shut the program down. The double standard shown by the NCAA & the media is laughable.

Yep. I was 99.9% sure we got hosed last year. After this ruling, I'm 100% sure. The NCAA will never come down on UNC or Duke. They've invested heavily in these two programs. To tear one down now would undo all of they've built these programs to be.

The NCAA proved yet again that they are a hypocritical joke of a governing body.
But none of that will change unless the other member institutions agree with that and band together to take action.

Like everyone else, I think that UNC did this and got away with it is outrageous. I guess I am less angry at the NCAA, and in this case reserve my anger for UNC. I am not interested in defending the NCAA: what everyone says about that institution is basically true. It is inconsistent, picks and chooses what it's offended by and what it will punish, plays favorites, etc. But just like I thought that the Penn State case was a criminal matter and only incidentally involved sports and therefore the NCAA didn't have much jurisdiction (a take, by the way, that was heavily criticized on this forum but now seems to represent a majority view), here, I think that UNC is being so dishonest it leaves the NCAA in a corner. I think Eric Crawford, a Louisville sports guy, has it basically right:

"There’s a reason the NCAA doesn’t have more investigative power. There’s a reason it took FBI investigators to crack the long-rumored corruption involving shoe companies and college basketball. Federal investigators could get warrants for phone records and to set up wiretaps. The NCAA has to ask its members to be honest and police themselves.

Fat chance.

In the case of North Carolina, the NCAA’s academic bylaws basically leave the task of determining what is a legitimate academic enterprise up to the organization’s various members. For the NCAA to conclude academic fraud geared toward providing a competitive advantage in athletics, a school has to conclude that fraud happened on its campus.

At North Carolina, the story is well known. In the department of Afro-American studies, students had classes that never met, that required only a single paper be turned in at the end. Often those papers were the work of others, or were recycled from previous students. The grades were a gift. There was no real learning. There was no instruction. The papers were graded not by a professor, but by a secretary.

UNC commissioned a study, led by a former federal prosecutor, Kenneth Wainstein, which found that more than 3,000 students had taken part in at least one bogus class over an 18-year period, nearly half of them athletes. In response to that report, UNC agreed that academic fraud had taken place, and the university was placed on probation by its accrediting agency.

But when faced with the possibility of sanctions from the NCAA, including the possible loss of a national championship in basketball, the school changed its story. It said its admission of fraud had been a “typo,” and distanced itself from the investigative report it had commissioned.

In the end, if North Carolina was going to be so bold as to claim no fraud occurred in a department where one classes’ listed professor said he never even taught the course, the NCAA was paralyzed.

NCAA bylaws, plain and simple, don’t comprehend a situation in which an institution of higher learning would debase itself to pretend that fake courses for athletic gain were legitimate against overwhelming and clear evidence to the contrary.

That’s what North Carolina has done. A school that proudly proclaims, “The Carolina Way” has now shown, quite clearly, what that way is: Win at all costs."

I would not have been upset, of course, if the NCAA had given UNC what it obviously deserves. But I can't really fault the NCAA, given the rules in play. Crawford, Bilas and DeCourcy all make a valid point.......

The only problem with what Crawford wrote is that Rashad McCants went on television and admitted he never went to class and made the deans list, also providing his transcript. That’s all the proof you need, a participating individual admitting it was fraud. At that point it should not matter whether UNC admits to it or not but apparently the NCAA wants a notarized letter attached to the video confession from the entire campus.

Stuff has been going on for years!

http://kentsterling.com/2010/12/09/great-moments-in-kentucky-basketball-history-5/

The 1952-1953 Kentucky team was suspended for the entire season by the SEC and then the NCAA for point-shaving violations and relationships with gamblers despite coach Adolph Rupp’s claim that gamblers “couldn’t reach my boys with a ten-foot pole.”

They did reach them, and after years of taking money under for beating teams by more or less than the point spread, the NCAA acted.

The May 12, 1952 issue of TIME Magazine quoted judge Saul Streit, who presided over the trial of players from Kentucky involved in fixing games for gamblers, “I found that intercollegiate basketball and football at Kentucky have become highly systematized, professionalized and commercialized enterprises. I found covert subsidization of players, ruthless exploitation of athletes, cribbing at examinations, ‘Illegal’ recruiting, a reckless disregard of their physical welfare, matriculation of unqualified students, demoralization of the athletes by the coach.. .”
You should be grateful they took money not to kick your ass harder.

You seized on a last opportunity to be a prick, good job
he's not the only person saying they're not going to follow anymore. and if he's not he could say why. he's been posting here a long time.

the ncaa held an illusion that they were enforcers, even if it was selective. now we know they only enforce what they know will stick, and will make them money. they use to not care about the validity of their penalties and enforce what they wanted, making them seem like enforcers. with unc they've now tied their own hands. they have lost their illusion of enforcement almost completely.

i will still watch because i predicted the ncaa would be giving themselves the death penalty by not acting on this unprecedented cheating. i have a hope that the ncaa will be replaced or redefined. unc it appears is forever in the clear though and that has hurt the sport. it's undeniable.

Like everyone else, I think that UNC did this and got away with it is outrageous. I guess I am less angry at the NCAA, and in this case reserve my anger for UNC. I am not interested in defending the NCAA: what everyone says about that institution is basically true. It is inconsistent, picks and chooses what it's offended by and what it will punish, plays favorites, etc. But just like I thought that the Penn State case was a criminal matter and only incidentally involved sports and therefore the NCAA didn't have much jurisdiction (a take, by the way, that was heavily criticized on this forum but now seems to represent a majority view), here, I think that UNC is being so dishonest it leaves the NCAA in a corner. I think Eric Crawford, a Louisville sports guy, has it basically right:

"There’s a reason the NCAA doesn’t have more investigative power. There’s a reason it took FBI investigators to crack the long-rumored corruption involving shoe companies and college basketball. Federal investigators could get warrants for phone records and to set up wiretaps. The NCAA has to ask its members to be honest and police themselves.

Fat chance.

In the case of North Carolina, the NCAA’s academic bylaws basically leave the task of determining what is a legitimate academic enterprise up to the organization’s various members. For the NCAA to conclude academic fraud geared toward providing a competitive advantage in athletics, a school has to conclude that fraud happened on its campus.

At North Carolina, the story is well known. In the department of Afro-American studies, students had classes that never met, that required only a single paper be turned in at the end. Often those papers were the work of others, or were recycled from previous students. The grades were a gift. There was no real learning. There was no instruction. The papers were graded not by a professor, but by a secretary.

UNC commissioned a study, led by a former federal prosecutor, Kenneth Wainstein, which found that more than 3,000 students had taken part in at least one bogus class over an 18-year period, nearly half of them athletes. In response to that report, UNC agreed that academic fraud had taken place, and the university was placed on probation by its accrediting agency.

But when faced with the possibility of sanctions from the NCAA, including the possible loss of a national championship in basketball, the school changed its story. It said its admission of fraud had been a “typo,” and distanced itself from the investigative report it had commissioned.

In the end, if North Carolina was going to be so bold as to claim no fraud occurred in a department where one classes’ listed professor said he never even taught the course, the NCAA was paralyzed.

NCAA bylaws, plain and simple, don’t comprehend a situation in which an institution of higher learning would debase itself to pretend that fake courses for athletic gain were legitimate against overwhelming and clear evidence to the contrary.

That’s what North Carolina has done. A school that proudly proclaims, “The Carolina Way” has now shown, quite clearly, what that way is: Win at all costs."

I would not have been upset, of course, if the NCAA had given UNC what it obviously deserves. But I can't really fault the NCAA, given the rules in play. Crawford, Bilas and DeCourcy all make a valid point.......
Don't agree with your "... rules in place" premise which tied the NCAA's hands ...

Plz see Georgia basketball/Jim Harrick, Jr fraudulant classes: (summary)
1 semester of easy class on basketball
1 credit hour
taken by basketball players AND general-body students
UGA hammered

whats the difference?

I agree.............the NCAA did not want to punish one of their "sacred cows". How could good ole Dean Smith been a part of anything fraudulent or illegal. He was a saint in the eyes of the NCAA & of course Dickie V.......the voice of college basketball. How would he look after all these years of preaching about the "Carolina Way", which exudes nothing but "class". Yet if this exact situation had been UK or UNLV when Tark was there, the NCAA would have shut the program down. The double standard shown by the NCAA & the media is laughable.

The NCAA basically ruined Eric Manuals career by banning him from every playing D-1 ball again when, like D Rose, they had no proof he did or didn't take his ACT test. It was all only speculation. However, they have proof these guys were given grades to stay eligible and did nothing.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Are UK fans aware of their own team's history?

Lexington Herald-Leader
Section: "UK 100: A Century of Basketball"; Page 36
December 22, 2002
Writers: John Clay, Mike Fields, Mark Story and Jerry Tipton

A LITANY OF WRONGDOING
Scandal has been as much a part of the University of Kentucky's basketball history as triumph. Here are the lowlights:

The aftermath of a severe point-shaving scandal made UK, in effect, the first school to get the death penalty.

In November, the NCAA asked its member schools not to play Kentucky in men's basketball during the 1952-53 season.

The NCAA cited at least four instances over a four-year period of UK supporters giving Kentucky players money.

As a result, UK canceled its basketball season.

Had the Wildcats been allowed to play, a team with stars Cliff Hagan and Frank Ramsey probably would have led Adolph Rupp to his fourth NCAA championship in six seasons.

The examples of illegal subsidization of players came to the attention of the NCAA after they arose in court documents relating to the massive point-shaving scandal of the 1940s.

That national scandal ensnared at least 31 players from around the United States.

Adolph Rupp, who had publicly vowed that gamblers "couldn't get to our players with a 10-foot pole," was embarrassed when ex-UK stars Ralph Beard and Alex Groza admitted accepting cash.

Kentucky's 7-1 center, Bill Spivey, was also accused of shaving points. Though he passed a lie-detector test and a New York jury hung 9-3 in favor of his acquittal, Spivey was nonetheless banned from basketball.

Kentucky hit the daily double of cheating, going on probation in both football and men's basketball at the same time.

Among violations the NCAA cited were cars and cash apparently offered to UK players, as well as some recruits who chose other schools.

At the time, 12 Kentucky boosters were ordered to disassociate themselves from UK athletics.

The basketball program, which was deemed to have the least serious offenses, was given two years of probation and limited to signing three new players in both 1978 and 1979.

Coach Joe B. Hall's Wildcats were on probation when they won UK's fifth NCAA title in 1978.

In a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative series, the Herald-Leader reported that 26 former UK basketball players said they accepted either cash or gifts from boosters.

After investigating for almost three years, the NCAA said in March 1988 that it had been unable to substantiate the infractions by the newspaper. The NCAA reprimanded UK for not cooperating with the investigation.

Some 28 days after the NCAA concluded its previous investigation, an air-freight package sent by UK to the father of a basketball recruit "popped open" in Los Angeles, revealing $1,000 in $50 bills.

In addition to that infraction, the NCAA subsequently alleged that UK player Eric Manuel cheated on his ACT to earn a score high enough to qualify for eligibility.

Ultimately, Kentucky was hit with three years of probation, including a two-year tournament ban and a one-year live TV blackout.

Only the cooperation of then-UK president David Roselle in the investigation kept Kentucky from getting the death penalty, the NCAA said.

Did the NCAA reprimand Duke for not cooperating in the Lance Thomas jewelry scandal?

If the NCAA was going to do anything to UNC, then they would have been the one's getting hosed. They wouldn't have wanted them winning a championship if they were going to hammer them and take their titles away.

Are UK fans aware of their own team's history?

Lexington Herald-Leader
Section: "UK 100: A Century of Basketball"; Page 36
December 22, 2002
Writers: John Clay, Mike Fields, Mark Story and Jerry Tipton

A LITANY OF WRONGDOING
Scandal has been as much a part of the University of Kentucky's basketball history as triumph. Here are the lowlights:

The aftermath of a severe point-shaving scandal made UK, in effect, the first school to get the death penalty.

In November, the NCAA asked its member schools not to play Kentucky in men's basketball during the 1952-53 season.

The NCAA cited at least four instances over a four-year period of UK supporters giving Kentucky players money.

As a result, UK canceled its basketball season.

Had the Wildcats been allowed to play, a team with stars Cliff Hagan and Frank Ramsey probably would have led Adolph Rupp to his fourth NCAA championship in six seasons.

The examples of illegal subsidization of players came to the attention of the NCAA after they arose in court documents relating to the massive point-shaving scandal of the 1940s.

That national scandal ensnared at least 31 players from around the United States.

Adolph Rupp, who had publicly vowed that gamblers "couldn't get to our players with a 10-foot pole," was embarrassed when ex-UK stars Ralph Beard and Alex Groza admitted accepting cash.

Kentucky's 7-1 center, Bill Spivey, was also accused of shaving points. Though he passed a lie-detector test and a New York jury hung 9-3 in favor of his acquittal, Spivey was nonetheless banned from basketball.

Kentucky hit the daily double of cheating, going on probation in both football and men's basketball at the same time.

Among violations the NCAA cited were cars and cash apparently offered to UK players, as well as some recruits who chose other schools.

At the time, 12 Kentucky boosters were ordered to disassociate themselves from UK athletics.

The basketball program, which was deemed to have the least serious offenses, was given two years of probation and limited to signing three new players in both 1978 and 1979.

Coach Joe B. Hall's Wildcats were on probation when they won UK's fifth NCAA title in 1978.

In a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative series, the Herald-Leader reported that 26 former UK basketball players said they accepted either cash or gifts from boosters.

After investigating for almost three years, the NCAA said in March 1988 that it had been unable to substantiate the infractions by the newspaper. The NCAA reprimanded UK for not cooperating with the investigation.

Some 28 days after the NCAA concluded its previous investigation, an air-freight package sent by UK to the father of a basketball recruit "popped open" in Los Angeles, revealing $1,000 in $50 bills.

In addition to that infraction, the NCAA subsequently alleged that UK player Eric Manuel cheated on his ACT to earn a score high enough to qualify for eligibility.

Ultimately, Kentucky was hit with three years of probation, including a two-year tournament ban and a one-year live TV blackout.

Only the cooperation of then-UK president David Roselle in the investigation kept Kentucky from getting the death penalty, the NCAA said.
keep-calm-and-ban-trolls.png

I've been saying it since the ruling... That was the beginning of the end for the NCAA. They have lost all credibility. Why would any school have the incentive to play by the rules now, or accept any type of punishment the NCAA tried to dish out? Look for the power five to start exploring creating a better governing body.

I posted this in another thread concerning Cal scheduling UNC but felt I wanted to lead off with it instead of burying it in another thread. It’s not meant to debate what you should do or how a fan should approach the recent widespread corruption in college basketball and in particular within the NCAA. I had a lot more to say but the post is borderline long anyway so I’ll just mention a few things.

UK doesn’t have the backbone to do anything and as long as they’re making money, they just don’t care about the same things that fans do. They may object but it’ll be in private, which is the calculated response the NCAA/UNC expect. The more I pondered on the subject the more I came to the conclusion that UK and any other university that takes the high road deserves to be cheated at every opportunity. If you don’t have the guts to stand up to what’s wrong then you are part of the problem, you are an enabler.

Worried about repercussions of demanding consequences, how is being cheated by UNC for decades not a worse repercussion itself. They stole from college basketball, everybody was cheated. But don’t mind me as I am a former fan of college basketball, I’m going to say my peace for awhile and then I’m not following it anymore. The good news is that many will continue to go to the games no matter how much you cheat them.

You have no virtue of any kind anymore, nothing about college bb resembles what made people care about it in the first place. You’re just a money hungry industry that invites the accountants to the infractions meeting. You (NCAA) don’t even care if it’s blatant or that the perception of you is being the most corrupt of any institution in the game.

You send a UNC alumn to Chapel Hill to warn them about the class issue, then you allow UNC to conduct many failed attempts at a limited probe. Then you used a report limited in its scope to make a judgment of zero, but that’s the result you wanted to placate your business partners who are UNC alumni. You didn’t even attempt to investigate yourself, wholesale ignoring of the other issues at UNC as if there weren’t red flags all over the place. Fats Thomas providing cars for players, dental school, naval class, Tami Hanbrough. Let me guess, you didn’t have a specific rule there either or maybe Tami laid down for everybody and that made it ok.

For all we know UNC lined the pockets of the coi and it’s entirely believable, that’s where the perception of the NCAA is at right now. Not that you care unless it impacts the financial data report. I for one see a poisoned sport, I suspected it already but this is undeniable proof. For that I’m done with the game, there’s no doubt that if you are going to endorse cheating then you’ll also cheat the games.

For the years that I thought college had virtues, it was great and I’ll never forget that.

The bottom line only reason why NCAA choked on unc was the classes started the last year of Dean Smiths career. Didn't mind ruining Paternos legacy but old Dean no .way

There are no mysteries here. I frankly don't think there was any incompetence on the part of any individual.

The organization is corrupt, plain and simple. Allowing a two decade violation of its fundamental charter. Inequitable application of rules. Burdening teens and high schools with requirements they when they don't insist on compliance at their member institutions. We can go on and on.

All other things being equal, the simplest answer tends to be correct. The simple answer here is that the institution is corrupt. They have allowed filth to play basketball for 20 years. They play favorites. The script outcomes through manipulation of rules and the application of those rules.

The have been selling professional wrestling to us for a long time and making obscene profits in the process. I am ashamed my team has to play in the midst of all this corruption and filth.

What this ruling and the FBI investigation has done to the sport of college bb is exposing the truth about the internal cesspool of corruption that has been slowly destroying the credibility of "amateur athletic programs."
I agree with the poster who wrote that UNC would not be penalized by the NCAA because you are asking officials from major colleges to actually police themselves. That is like trying to get Congress to pass term limits or a pay freeze. These school AD's and presidents know that if they start taking away championships and wins because of academic fraud, they will have to also look at what is going on in their own member schools and conferences and shine the spotlight further because the fraud is rampant and money is driving the train. It is a business and successful athletic programs need big bucks and big contracts to fund the top facilities, the top coaches, the top recruits, etc..

Look what is happening with the NFL. It took Major League Baseball years to recover from all of the steroid scandals and it has never really recovered to its former status or glory. Once you completely undermine and compromise the integrity of something, it becomes devalued and tainted. It remains to be seen how these scandals in college bb will affect the product appeal.

While I agree with most of what you said, I can't go as far as giving up on the sport altogether. I just hope there will be so much negative response to this throughout the year that it will lead to major changes in the NCAA. I hope every road game that UNC plays is met with constant criticism by the fans. Break out in chants against them. Bring posters that say things like the student athlete is no more.

After this season, hopefully no one will schedule games against UNC out of conference. The ACC teams don't have a choice unfortunately. I'd love it if some teams actually refused to play them and just forfeited and say why they did. That would make a huge story in the media outside of sports as well.

Maybe the more outrage there is will cause the story to not die and will get the FBI involved with the NCAA (if they aren't already). I would bet money on it that if they investigated the NCAA like they are the AAU, shoe companies, and coaches they will find a bunch of dirty stuff going on with the people running it. It would definitely be the end of the NCAA as we know it.

Did the NCAA reprimand Duke for not cooperating in the Lance Thomas jewelry scandal?

When the story first broke, the NCAA came out and told Duke how to avoid any potential trouble by issuing a statement that said if no one ever talks to them about it there is nothing they can do.

All that money and time investigating wasted. Should have just let them off to start with. Everyone knew they were going to get away with it.

All that money and time investigating wasted. Should have just let them off to start with. Everyone knew they were going to get away with it.

Except the NCAA really didn't spend any resources investigating UNC. Instead they allowed UNC to orchestrate one sham investigation after another, including the Wainstein report which UNC itself made sure to limit to AFAM "paper classes" only.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT