ADVERTISEMENT

Humphries vs Zimmerman

3bombino96

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 19, 2008
The kid looks good, and I'm excited because he's young and will get better over a couple of years. But, I don't think he's as good as Zimmerman right now. Watching his mix tape that's who he reminds me of, with less power, and range. But, I think he'll contribute as much as Lee will off the bench.

Potential positive in hindsight, Zimmerman is likely one and done though it wouldn't surprise me if he played 2 years. I like the fact Humphries is seen as a 2 year+ player due to the 2016 lack of elite big men.

Reactions: 3bombino96
More of a big body and less athletic than Zimm. Neither of these are necessarily bad things, but the kid will need to mature his body before making a noticeable impact.

I like the pick up of Humphries.

Reactions: will1976
I agree with some things but Zimmerman being a one and done isn't one. Kid will get exposed against legit bigs, nice player but just don't see it.

Reactions: 3bombino96
I believe by February, Humph will really contribute. Needs some muscle, but I love how he has a nack for the ball, always around the rim, and knows how and where to cut to get the ball.

The only thing these two have in common is skin color. I always find it funny when people focus on physical looks when comparing players as opposed to how they play. Zimmerman plays above the rim. Much much more athletic. Humphries is a traditional banger with range.

Reactions: DY9ASTY
Zimmerman would have been awesome but I'm very happy with Humphries. He'll give the depth we need in case of emergency and as he improves he'll get more minutes in the future. Zimmerman would have done one of two things-taken minutes from Skal or made it necessary to play Alex at the 3 again. Skal, Poy, and Lee will all get good minutes splitting the majority of the time at the 4 & 5 and that's how I like it.

I'm going to go on a limb and say Humphries gets as good as a draft slot as Zimmerman. You're talking about Cal, who's goal is to get his kids ready for the next level. He would take the jumper out of Zimmerman's arsenal.

To go along with that, I see Humphries being more NBA ready by the end of year as well. I have seen little, but I like what I see from Humphries.

I like the idea of Humphries returning for a second year, and going along side with Wynyard who will probably enroll in December and end up red-shirting, and having that extra practice time and the full summer to go through the S&C program.

Reactions: UK HEMINGWAY
If we get Humphries, I think he will be limited to about 10mpg. Will need to get in better shape. But I do think he would be a nice add, for both this year and next year.

If Zimmerman had come to UK, we would be seeing all kinds of posts on how he will be the greatest, under-rated by the experts even though highly rated, his height is going to be a great defensive stopper, etc. Instead, we lost out on him and now have someone else where there is minimal information to really assess skill level, etc.

Having said the above, I was not impressed by Zimmerman in the various all-star games. He is really big and that is going to make him an eventual pro. No doubt he has talent, but he seemed to me to be a bigger Wiltjer without the offense, slow on defense, so-so rebounder, and although he may have dominated against smaller players, I did not see him being physical in the sense of competing against similar height players as himself. I will be surprised if he jumps to the pros after one year, but playing where he is going is a good choice because he is a guaranteed starter. I don't think that would have happened at Kentucky. He would not have beaten out Skal, he would not have beaten out Lee or Poy.

Whether it ends up being good or bad that Zimmerman went elsewhere will be determined by future big man recruits for next year. If he had been at UK (and like I stated would likely have been coming off the bench and a two year player) he would have turned off some other possible recruits in coming to UK. But, we would have wanted him if Cal doesn't get a top big man recruit.

I don't expect that much from Humphries and even less from the New Zealand kid from what I have seen. My guess is they are both going to be projects to hopefully develop. Of course I hope I am wrong and they are both super stars, but to hype them at present is wrong.

I think a better comparison for Humphries might be Dakari Johnson. I have not seen a lot of Humphries, but what I have seen looks like he is a big body, fairly skilled for a 7 footer, and not very athletic. Anyone know or have a better feel on if Humphries is as good as Dakari? If so, that would be a great addition.

I read that Humphries is a rugby player and maybe a lumberjack. That bodes well for his toughness. Has he ever played volley ball or football (American Style)? does he have his own dance? And for goodness sake how is his walk?

The only thing these two have in common is skin color. I always find it funny when people focus on physical looks when comparing players as opposed to how they play. Zimmerman plays above the rim. Much much more athletic. Humphries is a traditional banger with range.

Then they are similar.

ADVERTISEMENT