ADVERTISEMENT

HS State Finals

I said bigoted but if the shoe fits.

Explain to me then how all of you smart guys know that the black football or basketball players on Trinity could not afford it themselves? What direct knowledge do you have of their financial situation. It is only "bigotry" that would cause someone to charge that these players are there because of receiving a scholarship of some kind. There is no other explanation. If you believe that they cannot be there without some help it speaks to your character or lack thereof. Whether you believe it or not some black folks do actually have jobs, care about academics and can pay their own tuition. Unless you have evidence to the contrary....put down the shovel.
You are the only one to my knowledge talking about the skin color of the athlete. Show me where I have ever mentioned it.

Wasn't aware that all non-Catholics were black. Maybe you know something the rest of don't know. Just because you invent something in your mind doesn't make it reality. Maybe you're at that age. Who knows?

I am non-Catholic and am white....raised very protestant and enjoyed arguing the bible with the Fathers during religion classes. They enjoyed me because Cathliics do not spend time studying the bible. My family paid our own tuition and I was a student athlete too.

I am non-Catholic and am white....raised very protestant and enjoyed arguing the bible with the Fathers during religion classes. They enjoyed me because Cathliics do not spend time studying the bible. My family paid our own tuition and I was a student athlete too.
Good for you. I’m not sure how that story supports your contention that the term non-Catholic is used by racists to mean black kids. In fact, it seems to support the opposite.

I didn't mean to quote you. Not sure how that happened, but I now understand why you responded to my comments. Sorry about the confusion.

I think the issue is "Trinity and St. X actively seek kids". Recruiting is illegal under KHSAA rules. Going to athletes that play for, or would play for, other high schools and trying to convince them to come to Trinity or St. X is a violation of the rules. The finances involved are only additional areas of concern, depending on if they are always on the up and up.

I’m pretty sure you understand what we are saying but are being willfully obtuse. Private schools have to market themselves to families and kids- otherwise they don’t exist. When you market yourself, you actively seek out these families and kids. At some point if the school is successful academically and athletically, the school name (and those affiliated with it) sell themselves. This also happens with public schools.

I’m pretty sure you understand what we are saying but are being willfully obtuse. Private schools have to market themselves to families and kids- otherwise they don’t exist. When you market yourself, you actively seek out these families and kids. At some point if the school is successful academically and athletically, the school name (and those affiliated with it) sell themselves. This also happens with public schools.
Actually I'm not being willfully obtuse. You will have to define what you mean by marketing. There is a difference in hosting events that families voluntarily attend because they are interested in the school and walking up to a kid who is playing AAU ball and engaging him and his parents in a conversation about changing schools. One is fine. The other is recruiting and illegal. So exactly what are you saying when you say they market themselves?

That's what Kentucky needs to do, when private schools win 3 or 4 of the 6 state championships it's time to make a change.

Several member schools of the KHSAA had a strong push to separate public and private school championships a few years ago. The KHSAA board and staff did not want the separation. For years, public schools had openly accused private schools of recruiting their best athletes. The KHSAA's response was always, "Bring us proof and we will do something about it." This all came to a head when the parents of a Lexington public school athlete taped a phone conversation of a Lexington private school coach recruiting their child. When the KHSAA was presented with the tape of the phone conversation they still did nothing. This brought the public/private separation to a head. Going to 6 classes was a way to partially appease the public schools so they would stop the push for the public/private separation.

I too think 6 classes in state as small as Kentucky two classes too many. When there are only 33 schools in a class it doesn't feel like a state championship.

Actually I'm not being willfully obtuse. You will have to define what you mean by marketing. There is a difference in hosting events that families voluntarily attend because they are interested in the school and walking up to a kid who is playing AAU ball and engaging him and his parents in a conversation about changing schools. One is fine. The other is recruiting and illegal. So exactly what are you saying when you say they market themselves?

Approaching a kid or family of a kid already enrolled/ attending in a high school, about switching school is illegal. If that happened you should report it. Prior to high school, the kid and family have a choice to make and I see nothing wrong with a school telling a kid all they could do for them academically, athletically and socially. Kenton County public schools is open enrollment. So yeah, the coaches and administration market themselves and can & do, approach these kids and families leading up to high school.

Approaching a kid or family of a kid already enrolled/ attending in a high school, about switching school is illegal. If that happened you should report it. Prior to high school, the kid and family have a choice to make and I see nothing wrong with a school telling a kid all they could do for them academically, athletically and socially. Kenton County public schools is open enrollment. So yeah, the coaches and administration market themselves and can & do, approach these kids and families leading up to high school.
I can't speak to the legality of approaching middle school athletes about not attending their district school and attending a different school instead. Maybe that's fine. I really don't know. It still strikes me as recruiting, but it could be perfectly legal. I just don't know the answer under KHSAA rules. You have to remember, you are applying everything to Kenton County schools. I live the in Louisville metropolitan area. It's a different animal than Kenton County.

Back to the original topic, is there some rule that the weather for the state championship weekend has to be terrible? I had thought about going to see Catholic and Douglass tonight, but no thank you to that. Had more than my share of awful weather during UK's season.

Good for you. I’m not sure how that story supports your contention that the term non-Catholic is used by racists to mean black kids. In fact, it seems to support the opposite.

You are being willfully obtuse again. EXACTLY....when those out there casting stones point to all the "non-Catholics" assuming that the black athletes are not black. I pointed to one earlier in this topic who is black and Catholic and me being white and Protestant. So the narrative is bigoted..."he's black so he must be a baptist and he must be receiving a freebie because otherwise he wouldn't be there." I've seen that 1000 times.

You are being willfully obtuse again. EXACTLY....when those out there casting stones point to all the "non-Catholics" assuming that the black athletes are not black. I pointed to one earlier in this topic who is black and Catholic and me being white and Protestant. So the narrative is bigoted..."he's black so he must be a baptist and he must be receiving a freebie because otherwise he wouldn't be there." I've seen that 1000 times.
Or you have assumed it a 1000 times.

Back to the original topic, is there some rule that the weather for the state championship weekend has to be terrible? I had thought about going to see Catholic and Douglass tonight, but no thank you to that. Had more than my share of awful weather during UK's season.

Think the Cov Cath/ FD game is tomorrow night (Sat) at 8pm. Forecasted to be cold but dry from what I’ve heard.

Jackson Hensley having a helluva game. I wish he'd PWO to UK but I hope he has a great career at Harvard.

Several member schools of the KHSAA had a strong push to separate public and private school championships a few years ago. The KHSAA board and staff did not want the separation. For years, public schools had openly accused private schools of recruiting their best athletes. The KHSAA's response was always, "Bring us proof and we will do something about it." This all came to a head when the parents of a Lexington public school athlete taped a phone conversation of a Lexington private school coach recruiting their child. When the KHSAA was presented with the tape of the phone conversation they still did nothing. This brought the public/private separation to a head. Going to 6 classes was a way to partially appease the public schools so they would stop the push for the public/private separation.

I too think 6 classes in state as small as Kentucky two classes too many. When there are only 33 schools in a class it doesn't feel like a state championship.

There was a big push many years ago to separate after the privates started to become a legitimate factor in the Boys Sweet 16. If I remember the story correctly was at the time the policy board was only represented by public schools. Out of fear of separation the state legislature strong armed a change to mandate private school representation on the board essentially eliminating the possibility of there ever being a separate tournament for private schools. I think the move was spearheaded by representatives that had children enrolled in those private schools.

Did Boyle County win 100-21? Didn't there administration make the comment that Johnson County kids couldn't count to 100 and they lived in something called a "holler"? If Karma is real it happened today.

I think the word floating around out of there was it was a school librarian or something like that. I've been watching the games on tv and frankly I decided by the end of the game if Boyle didn't lose that game then I don't think that team could've ever been beaten by anybody. To have 5 turnovers against state champ caliber competition seems impossible to recover against and was...including a number of miscues by their "studs"...balls bouncing off hands with no defender influence, etc...

1A

Paintsville (11-3) vs. Pikeville (13-0)

2A

Mayfield (13-1) vs. Somerset (13-1)

3A

Belfry (10-3) vs. Bell County (14-0)

4A

Johnson Central (14-0) vs. Boyle County (14-0)

5A

Frederick Douglass (14-0) vs. Covington Catholic (14-0)

6A

Trinity (12-2) vs. Male (14-0)

Michael Mayer for Cov Cath showing why he’s the Gatorade Player of the Year in Kentucky - beast mode on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: LCFOOTBALLDAD
Boyle County miss an XP?

Yes. They missed that and they have a good kicker. Or at least they announcers said about 10 times that the kid had kicked 50 yarders in middle school...and to my recollection they had....

1. Had an interception that just bounced off a stationary Reese Smith's hands into the defenders hands.
2. The kid they have going to Notre Dame, who didn't get but a few snaps on offense (a boyle fan needs to provide explanation on that), had a short qb toss bounce of his hands for a lost fumble by taking his eyes off a sec early
3. Their punt returner didn't clear out enough and had a ball hit his foot and Central recovered to give them a short scoring drive from around the 20
4. First offensive play of the game the Smith kid looked to be headed for the end zone on a big play but wasn't aware that a Central kid coming from the other side had an angle and he wasn't carrying the ball tight and lost it on the tackle.

Over the years, Smith's teams typically don't have a lot of self-inflicted stuff...but they played bad football today. I guess in some bizarre way it was impressive they were right there in the end even with a 5-0 turnover count.

Reactions: UKUGA
I didn't care who won, but after the fiasco that some of the staff made with derogatory comments I'm glad they did. It gave JC a little extra motivation. Sad that adults would think it was cute to degrade another public school within their own state.

I didn't care who won, but after the fiasco that some of the staff made with derogatory comments I'm glad they did. It gave JC a little extra motivation. Sad that adults would think it was cute to degrade another public school within their own state.
JC has really come a long way with their football program. I recall when they started in 1970 and they were not good at all, which is to be expected from a consolidation of schools that never had a football team. I went to college with some good people from JC and am glad that they won today.

Wow, when I played on his freshman team at Prestonsburg he did some crazy things that would not go over today. Made a player do log rolls in a sand pit with broken glass, fleas, etc. wearing only his jersey and pads; no pants. Got mad at us after about 20 minutes of practice one day and left us there. We had to get back to the locker room the best we could and it was a couple of miles away. Ended up running on the highway just to get back before it got dark.

Reactions: bluejohnson
Wow, when I played on his freshman team at Prestonsburg he did some crazy things that would not go over today. Made a player do log rolls in a sand pit with broken glass, fleas, etc. wearing only his jersey and pads; no pants. Got mad at us after about 20 minutes of practice one day and left us there. We had to get back to the locker room the best we could and it was a couple of miles away. Ended up running on the highway just to get back before it got dark.
Lol yea, back before generation millennial

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
Lol yea, back before generation millennial
We practiced at a place called Archer Park just off the highway. We used the field where carnivals normally set up and they had a single water pipe which was probably used for animals. If we worked hard he would allow us to have a drink about 2/3 through practice which absolutely would not be allowed today. We were only allowed to finish practice after half of the team started throwing up during wind sprints. I never played football again after that season.

Wasn't sure how many he had total but I know it's Belfry's 5th title in the last 7 years. I'm guessing the feeling around Pike County was that this one was a completely unexpected title.
This was a very down belfry team for all intents and purposes. Until the playoffs anyway

We practiced at a place called Archer Park just off the highway. We used the field where carnivals normally set up and they had a single water pipe which was probably used for animals. If we worked hard he would allow us to have a drink about 2/3 through practice which absolutely would not be allowed today. We were only allowed to finish practice after half of the team started throwing up during wind sprints. I never played football again after that season.
Been to archer many times. Played a couple baseball games there in hs

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
Been to archer many times. Played a couple baseball games there in hs
I played for Prestonsburg and that was our home field when it wasn't flooded, lol. Didn't realize just how short the outfield fence was until I moved to Texas and started playing on really nice fields with grass.

Pikeville: 1A State Champions
Somerset : 2A State Champions
Belfry: 3A State Champions
Johnson Central: 4A State Champions

3iry5f.jpg

I played for Prestonsburg and that was our home field when it wasn't flooded, lol. Didn't realize just how short the outfield fence was until I moved to Texas and started playing on really nice fields with grass.
What year you graduate?

Pikeville: 1A State Champions
Somerset : 2A State Champions
Belfry: 3A State Champions
Johnson Central: 4A State Champions

3iry5f.jpg
606 should win most titles with 40+ counties in that very large area code, 859 only has 19 counties for example. Somerset isn’t even part of eky, Lincoln county is in the middle of central ky less than an hour south of Lexington. I bet title count is close between the two if not in favor of 859 maybe, they have Beechwood, Highlands, Covington Catholic, Danville, Boyle, Paris and other winners in that small area.

ADVERTISEMENT