ADVERTISEMENT

HS Football State Championship Games

LOL are you serious? Fort Thomas Highlands, Covington Catholic, Newport Catholic, Beechwood, Those schools are all within 15 minutes of each other and probably have a combined 40 state championships among them. And you actually think Bowling green area has better football teams? Did you ever look at CovCaths schedule? They usually play Cincinnati elder, Cincinnati St.X, Cincinnati Moeller, Highlands ,Beechwood etc. You're right, we will agree to
LOL are you serious? Fort Thomas Highlands, Covington Catholic, Newport Catholic, Beechwood, Those schools are all within 15 minutes of each other and probably have a combined 40 state championships among them. And you actually think Bowling green area has better football teams? Did you ever look at CovCaths schedule? They usually play Cincinnati elder, Cincinnati St.X, Cincinnati Moeller, Highlands ,Beechwood etc. You're right, we will agree to disagree
LOL you are actually using 1 and 2A schools to compare to a 5A powerhouse like Bowling Green High???? What a joke lol and Cov Cath got manhandled by South Warren a 9 year old school vs their supposed “best team ever”. Get out of here dude. Those schools would get smashed by 40 by BG or South Warren any year, any time, any place. I’m speaking facts not “what if’s”. Fact is BG high a PUBLIC school has 6 state titles in 14 years beating legitimate big schools and South Warren will have 3 state titles after Saturday being a brand new school.

LOL are you serious? Fort Thomas Highlands, Covington Catholic, Newport Catholic, Beechwood, Those schools are all within 15 minutes of each other and probably have a combined 40 state championships among them. And you actually think Bowling green area has better football teams? Did you ever look at CovCaths schedule? They usually play Cincinnati elder, Cincinnati St.X, Cincinnati Moeller, Highlands ,Beechwood etc. You're right, we will agree to disagree
Oh yeah, and how many players from all of those schools have major D1 players on active rosters? BG High has 3 players on UK’s team RIGHT NOW. South Warren has players at Notre Dame, Michigan State, Ohio State, WKU and 3 year starter at UK Adrian Middle a couple of years ago. That’s just the big schools and that’s active players on D1 rosters right now. Not even including the players they have on their teams right now that will play major D1 football.

LOL you are actually using 1 and 2A schools to compare to a 5A powerhouse like Bowling Green High???? What a joke lol and Cov Cath got manhandled by South Warren a 9 year old school vs their supposed “best team ever”. Get out of here dude. Those schools would get smashed by 40 by BG or South Warren any year, any time, any place. I’m speaking facts not “what if’s”between them. Fact is BG high a PUBLIC school has 6 state titles in 14 years beating legitimate big schools and South Warren will have 3 state titles after Saturday being a brand new school.
So thats 9 titles between South warren and Bowling Green. Cov cath and Highlands are both 5A schools and have over 30 titles

The school played 6A in 2017 then went to 5A in '18. When was the realignment suppose to be? They just got moved into the district they rae in when they realigned in '20 after Great Crossing started and SC dropped from 6A
I could be remembering wrong but when they realigned in 2018 for the 19-22 seasons they were going to review it before the 21 season and make adjustments if needed. Most people thought FD would move to 6A then. I’m biased because we are in their district. And it’s common knowledge they draw from all over Lexington. Dane key is a perfect example. I think he should be at BS. But some rule lets them pick their school.

I could be remembering wrong but when they realigned in 2018 for the 19-22 seasons they were going to review it before the 21 season and make adjustments if needed. Most people thought FD would move to 6A then. I’m biased because we are in their district. And it’s common knowledge they draw from all over Lexington. Dane key is a perfect example. I think he should be at BS. But some rule lets them pick their school.
It has been going on for years. Just these schools don't try to hide it as much anymore.

They def drawl from all over the city and some outside of it. I know 6A is the top 36 schools according to enrollment. Idk where they fall in that. A quick search shows 1440 kids but may not be accurate. Without knowing enrollment for each of the 36 currently in 6A it is hard to tell 100%, but 1440 would be in the bottom of 6A

Reactions: Ed323232
So thats 9 titles between South warren and Bowling Green. Cov cath and Highlands are both 5A schools and have over 30 titles
They didn’t win those titles in 5A. Only 1 of those titles for Cov Cath. They won a bunch of titles in a lower level against small schools with no chance. What have either of those schools done in 5A vs BG and SW? Absolutely nothing. Like I said, 5A goes through Bowling Green/ Warren County. Complete domination in 5A for 14 straight years and it isn’t slowing down any time soon as Warren County/ BG is the fastest growing county/city in the state.

They didn’t win those titles in 5A. Only 1 of those titles for Cov Cath. They won a bunch of titles in a lower level against small schools with no chance. What have either of those schools done in 5A vs BG and SW? Absolutely nothing. Like I said, 5A goes through Bowling Green/ Warren County. Complete domination in 5A for 14 straight years and it isn’t slowing down any time soon as Warren County/ BG is the fastest growing county/city in the state.
For many, many, years there were only 3 classes of high school football in Ky. A, AA, and AAA. and then they added a AAAA. And Highlands won the majority of theirs in AAA and AAAA. Didn't add a 5A and 6A until 2007 I believe. CovCath won 5A in 2017 and 2019 and highlands won 5A in 2007,2008, 2009, 2010. But I will agree with you that they play good football in WKY. No doubt about it.

Last edited:
Down here in Tennessee the Wade twins will be seeking to close out a perfect season. Not technically defending their title since Summit moved from 5A to 6A this year but they will face Oakland Friday. Most seem to favor Oakland because of a really stout D and difficult to prepare for Wing T offense but here’s to hoping the future Cats can pull out it out.
I actually saw Oakland play mid year this season. Their RB is going to Georgia, a WR going to Miami and another rb that will be D1 but lower rung. They also have a ridiculous kicker. They didn’t seem to be much on passing that game. Haven’t seen summit play so I can’t propose what may happen. But just to give people some comparison on here…South Warren’s only loss has been to Hendersonville TN. Oakland beat Hendersonville 45-7

I actually saw Oakland play mid year this season. Their RB is going to Georgia, a WR going to Miami and another rb that will be D1 but lower rung. They also have a ridiculous kicker. They didn’t seem to be much on passing that game. Haven’t seen summit play so I can’t propose what may happen. But just to give people some comparison on here…South Warren’s only loss has been to Hendersonville TN. Oakland beat Hendersonville 45-7
South Warren had 14 players out with Covid that game at least 10 were starters. Basically played with a JV team that game. However, Oakland is really good and I believe they are top 25 in the country.

Only game I care about is Douglas losing. They recruit all over Lexington and use a loophole to get any kid they want. It’s a joke
I've heard about this. Thru that academy or whatever. They can basically register kids as being homeless and get them in it.

Reactions: Ed323232
My school, Pulaski County has run into Bowling Green a few times in the Championship. No joy for us any of those times. We did get a Title a few years ago when BG had a down season. But, there's just too many great athletes in the BG/Warren County area for them to not be a yearly contender.

My son plays for Male so we will be there acting like crazy people! Gotta beat St X. Even after we beat Trinity last night in the handshake line the Trinity players told our guys to beat St X. for them. This is a great group of kids and hoping we can finish off a special season with a win! Gonna be ALOT of great football next weekend at Kroger Field!
Evaluation of Swinney and is there any interest from UK

Yeah going to be a tough game for nic. He's a great kid and talented. He showed up to practice yesterday even after just finding out his dad passed away he didn't want to let down his brother's on the team. Kid is tough as nails and hoping he can win for his dad. Great family and they did alot for the community. As far as Swinney he is a bull and glad he is has his senior season next year. Swinney knows alot about loss in his young life and expect him to help nic through. It really is a brotherhood at Male matter if you are a division 1 prospect or hardly ever play everyone raises one another up.

Well, I am a homer, both for Lexington and for UK, so I will be pulling for Douglass and Dane Key, can't make it to LCA game, but have a lot of friends who sent their kids there, hope they win as well.

South Warren had 14 players out with Covid that game at least 10 were starters. Basically played with a JV team that game. However, Oakland is really good and I believe they are top 25 in the country.
Be interesting to see then how they use Keaten. During the reg season he generally saw O a few times per game mostly short yardage sits. But during the playoffs he’s been much more heavily involved in both pass and run game. But if Oakland has that kind of talent on O then wonder if they try to keep him more fresh on D side and let Destin and probable UK walk on Brady Pierce handle the O side.

Be interesting to see then how they use Keaten. During the reg season he generally saw O a few times per game mostly short yardage sits. But during the playoffs he’s been much more heavily involved in both pass and run game. But if Oakland has that kind of talent on O then wonder if they try to keep him more fresh on D side and let Destin and probable UK walk on Brady Pierce handle the O side.
It may have been a product of the game I watched Oakland play against CPA but they didn't seem like much of a passing team. More physical type. CPA is physical and dominated the line play in the first half, Creasy basically went with no qb in the second half to get an extra blocker in there to get the edge with their run game. Got Patterson and Jones on the edge to where it was a little more one on one run game against corners and those guys are physical backs. Not much in the air except a stretch at the end of the first half when CPA was in prevent. They snuck up and won the game at the very end. 2 unforced CPA turnovers were the difference. I left the game thinking CPA was actually the better team. The coaching I saw that game from both sides was really impressive for HS football. Fundamentals, in game adjustments, etc. CPA turned around and got blasted by Lipscomb the next week in an 'everything that could go wrong' game against another really good team. Lipscomb had lost to Oakland at the very end the week before.

Last edited:
I hope the twins win it all but it’s gonna be a tall task. That Oakland team is stacked. They are legit and could probably play with anybody in the country.

Any kid in Lexington can go to just about any HS thanks to the many different programs. My 2 kids went to two different high schools. Douglas can draw kids in, but Bryan Station is still doing well with kids that didn't go to FD.

Reactions: Tskware
Good call

ADVERTISEMENT