ADVERTISEMENT

How would Cal have handled Giles, we all know the answer

Real Deal 2

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2007
The kid would have never played. The reason we can assume this is the Diallo kid, you think by March that an extra defensive stopper and another body that is 6'6 but could guard Justin Jackson or a TJ Leaf or Maye. I do think Cal says it is about the players it is true. I mean there is no assurance that Diallo will ever play a minute for UK. I think this should resonate that he did the right thing by the kids. Think Cal would have practiced him and told everyone he is not ready but he is working to be number 1 pick

I think Duke and Coach K really did this kid a disservice and may have cost him top pick, he truly is one injury from not ever playing in NBA.

I also will say Coach K and Duke have been pretty good about the transparency and only UK and Duke have been willing to not talk their guys into not coming back forthem. I do think behind Cal and UK that Duke should get some props for at least being upfront.
I have no problem saying that I respect K for not talking his players into coming back.

The one's who should be ashamed are Ol Roy and Coach Rick Pitino who I have heard tell first rounders to not go and that their evaluation is not accurate. I think this is absolutely deplorable for a coach.

i think he would have played, because Giles probably wanted to play.

Difference is Cal would have developed him and utilized him more. Giles would have sucked first 10-12 games back, but would start to get going by tourney time.

Difference is Cal would have developed him and utilized him more. Giles would have sucked first 10-12 games back, but would start to get going by tourney time.

Agreed, Wild. Cal is about the players. If Giles said, Coach, I'm ready then Cal is going to play him.

Reactions: WildMoon
The kid would have never played. The reason we can assume this is the Diallo kid, you think by March that an extra defensive stopper and another body that is 6'6 but could guard Justin Jackson or a TJ Leaf or Maye. I do think Cal says it is about the players it is true. I mean there is no assurance that Diallo will ever play a minute for UK. I think this should resonate that he did the right thing by the kids. Think Cal would have practiced him and told everyone he is not ready but he is working to be number 1 pick

I think Duke and Coach K really did this kid a disservice and may have cost him top pick, he truly is one injury from not ever playing in NBA.

I also will say Coach K and Duke have been pretty good about the transparency and only UK and Duke have been willing to not talk their guys into not coming back forthem. I do think behind Cal and UK that Duke should get some props for at least being upfront.
I have no problem saying that I respect K for not talking his players into coming back.

The one's who should be ashamed are Ol Roy and Coach Rick Pitino who I have heard tell first rounders to not go and that their evaluation is not accurate. I think this is absolutely deplorable for a coach.
Great post - but I can only give K partial credit - because of the way he did Thornton - get the kid to reclassify - promise a playing style that didn't translate with the rest of the class - diminish his PT - then kick him to the curb to make room for Bolden (IRONY!!!). K seems to panic on it more than Cal - Ex. Couldn't get Tatum to announce he's gone quick enough - via twitter (supposedly to let other players know there is room) vs Cal will have his talks and let the guys announce at a school presser - or this is how he's handled it in the past.

Cal gave Skal a ton of chances - really to the detriment of certain games - but he did his best - kept believing. Wish it would have clicked for him last year like this year...

Totally agree. All this "Cal would have never played him" is a bunch of BS imo. If Giles said he was ready and the doctors signed off on him then he would have played.

Reactions: struggler
Giles was given more opportunity than his performance on court deserved. To think K wasn't trying to improve his draft prospects is ridiculous. You guys had a PG that would have made him look good. We didn't.

From everything I've read, he's an amazing kid, I really hope he recovers physically and mentally and is in the league for a long time.

Giles was given more opportunity than his performance on court deserved. To think K wasn't trying to improve his draft prospects is ridiculous. You guys had a PG that would have made him look good. We didn't.

From everything I've read, he's an amazing kid, I really hope he recovers physically and mentally and is in the league for a long time.

#wrong

I agree. Cal didn't play Diallo because he wanted to make the point that he is players first. He's always two steps ahead marketing Kentucky basketbsll

the job of a college coach is to put players first. VERY happy that cal sticks to that. to do what coach k does is absurd. it's like computer science professor telling bill gates: "Bill, come back for another season of coding, then you can go make millions."

NO way. There were numerous people and doctors, agent types to tell family that the worst thing he could do was to come back too soon. 2 surgeries on knee are bad for 6'10 kid who was 17, the 3rd could be devastating. Come back too soon and get hurt again then almost career ending. Come back less than 100% will hurt you.

There were debates about this on radio, ESPN had Jay Will, Bilas and Seth all chime in on a segment. All said to sit except Bilas. Think you have to question after seeing him play. He had no business on court. He should have sat, he was one of the 3-4 best HS players I have ever seen 2 years ago. He was combo of Chris Weber/Garnett. Can't miss.

I think it was pretty sad and pretty telling that they played him. He was a fraction of himself. Not sure they put the kid first.
This family was given opinions and most were for him to sit out unless he was completely healthy and whole. Don't risk it, cannot have another injury in college.

Most 18 year old kids want to play, up to the adults, doctors, coaches to say Maybe not ready young fella

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT