ADVERTISEMENT

How much playing time will Gatewood, Allen, and Smith see for the remainder of the season?

23jumpboy

Senior
Jan 5, 2003
With the talk of Touchdown Terry leaving I wonder how much time these guys will get? I'm sure they want to protect Allen's redshirt but they want to give him time and surely they won't let Sawlyer sit all year with a clipboard glued to his hand.

Daily reminder that there is no need to protect red shirts as this year doesn’t count against eligibility.

If Terry doesn’t return, this is Joey’s team imo.

Reactions: yoshukai and TIE543
If Wilson didn't practice today there is no way I can see him playing on Saturday. Think we start Gatewood and maybe let Allen spell him some.

I know some thing this is bad throwing a fairly inexperienced quarterback(s) to the fire against the #1 defense in the country, but I see it differently. We're not suppose to win so, If we lose the game there will not be any "what if" second guessing. We're two TD dogs so he/they can play loose.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
If Wilson didn't practice today there is no way I can see him playing on Saturday. Think we start Gatewood and maybe let Allen spell him some.

I know some thing this is bad throwing a fairly inexperienced quarterback(s) to the fire against the #1 defense in the country, but I see it differently. We're not suppose to win so, If we lose the game there will not be any "what if" second guessing. We're two TD dogs so he/they can play loose.
And who knows Gatewood may light dat ass up!

With the talk of Touchdown Terry leaving I wonder how much time these guys will get? I'm sure they want to protect Allen's redshirt but they want to give him time and surely they won't let Sawlyer sit all year with a clipboard glued to his hand.

You can play in 4 games normally and keep your RS year, we only have 5 games left, he can pretty much play all he wants and keep it. Well, 4/5 of the games remaining. Gatewood would be QB1, if he can't catch on, Allen will at least get some run in this throw away year. Why not have open tryouts between the two for the remainder of the year plus next spring ? It would really give you time to make a decision (it should not be a given Gatewood is penciled in for QB1 next year competition makes for better play). Not like it can really hurt anything. Maybe even take a look at other players, and positions for open tryouts.

Can't beat live game action when trying to evaluate players, especially live SEC games, it is a hell of a lot better than 80% game speed spring training.

Last edited:
I think Gatewood is QB #1 this weekend and for the remainder of the season.

I believe he truly gets the chance to show his talents this weekend and that earns him the top spot regardless if Terry comes back.

I really think this would be the right decision, regardless. This is a weird, weird season. Realistically, we have one... maybe two more wins on the schedule. We know Terry is barely better than JG. So why not put Gatewood in. Give him the team, he is the future after all. He will lose no eligibility, and he has experience against the best of the best in the SEC. That way next year, there are no doubts if he's ready or not.

I think Gatewood plays Saturday. Truth is Allen should play EVERY GAME as there is no downside. Its as though it never happened. He wont lose a redshirt. Terry simple is not the player he was before the injury. It happens to players unfortunately with such an injury. I would say this about Allen. He will probably remind you of the Missouri QB we faced Saturday. Good with the ball, meaning handling it. T he best passer we have on the team. Stoops will never play him but he is probably our best option. We will never have a 21st century offense with Stoops regretfully. Its the same reason we dont get quality receivers.

Reactions: bigbluedon
You can play in 4 games normally and keep your RS year, we only have 5 games left, he can pretty much play all he wants and keep it. Well, 4/5 of the games remaining. Gatewood would be QB1, if he can't catch on, Allen will at least get some run in this throw away year. Why not have open tryouts between the two for the remainder of the year plus next spring ? It would really give you time to make a decision (it should not be a given Gatewood is penciled in for QB1 next year competition makes for better play). Not like it can really hurt anything. Maybe even take a look at other players, and positions for open tryouts.

Can't beat live game action when trying to evaluate players, especially live SEC games, it is a hell of a lot better than 80% game speed spring training.
See Bthaunert's post above.

That is why i said during a "normal" year you can play in four games, this year is free. That is how Sarr didn't have to wait on the SEC ruling after the NCAA granted this a "free" year for fall / winter sports. During a normal year, he could have played 4/5 games. I probably botched the wording on it, not my specialty, but that was what I was trying to relay, normal year 4 games, this year, don't matter.

This season doesn't count towards eligibility, Allen will be considered a true freshman next season.

ADVERTISEMENT