ADVERTISEMENT

How Much Better Can Our Team Get?????

Ocornett

All-SEC
Gold Member
Feb 15, 2011
Possum Holler
If they continue to improve I think they could go all the way to the final four where anything can happen. Look at how much Richards, Sha, Knox, Diallo, and Green have improved since the first game. Yes, Washington has struggled but he can turn pretty quick if he keeps working. I think we have enough to go all the way with or without Vanderbilt. I hope he returns in late December or early January, but I don't count on that happening. To win a NC you have to have a great team but you also need some luck. Look back to loses that Georgetown and Houston had and they were great teams. Maybe we can get lucky this year and end up in a good bracket with no Higgins ref in the elite 8 or final 4. Thoughts....... Please be nice as you can....Not

I had no clue what to expect going into the season, and I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised so far. Especially since our team is mostly made up of guys who've never played college ball. I think there's been a lot of improvement since game 1, but there are still things that need work, but that's expected. One thing I like is this team doesn't seem to get too rattled. In our early games, we got down double digits, but the team found ways to fight back. We've seen some young Cal teams just fall apart in those situations. That was a huge plus for me.

I told myself I'd wait for SEC play to start, before judging and I'm going stick to that. However, I like the pieces that we have and if we keep working and improving than this team can no doubt make a run. It's all about getting hot at the right moment, and I could see this team hitting their stride come March.

I think we CAN get to the final 4, but we'll need to rebound better, defend better, and take care of the ball better than we have.

If Vanderbilt plays and performs at a high level it could help a lot!!

WILL these things happen??

I'm not sure, but I believe that we're gonna get thumped several times in conference play!!

I mean like 6-8 losses in conference.

Sadly, I think unless we get a healthy Vanderbilt fairly soon, and a "contributing shooter" in Baker fairly soon (not sure of his ability at this level), we are in for a slightly disappointing season development. I want to be there in the end, but I'm not very optimistic honestly. We lack a good offensive big (once again), and our shooting is pretty dismal. 14% from 3 ain't gonna beat many quality teams come March. Hate to be a pessimist, but haven't really seen anything other than Knox to change my mind.

They would improve drastically if they just clean up the turnovers.

That’s really the major aspect that’s hurting.

We’ve shot better than most thought.
We’ve rebounded well.

The offense has been brought down by carelessness. Change that and you’ve dramatically changed our offense

Reactions: Poetax and 78Gooses
This team might possibly make the final 16, but I think that's the ceiling. Other things have to happen to change my thinking such as Richards really improving on offense, as I said above about Vanderbilt and Baker, and playing more under control.

If we don't guard the three better, we're going to go out the first weekend.
That is the one thing I just can't understand is how this team gives up so many open shots. Should be a much better defensive team and it is basic stuff. Not sure if these Freshman will figure that out in three months. Again Vanderbilt could be a massive defensive upgrade (especially for Washington) if healthy.

Nick Richards and Quade Green are KEY. If they keep improving we'll be playing the Duke Flop Devils in the elite 8. If they don't, we'll be done in the 2nd round.

Keep learning how to play together, keep working on team offense and defense, make sure they can stay energized for the full 40 minutes and develop mental toughness along the way. The best thing going for them is that they can only get better and with the tough schedule and good coaching, will progress as THEY choose to.

Reactions: 78Gooses
We'll go as far as our defense and rebounding take us. Hopefully that length and depth will play big in March

I know its a terrible way to think, but been like this since 2014. Unless we are head and shoulders above everyone we face, I just feel were not going to be able to win one. The target is too big and too many a holes are firing at it.

Count me on the slightly optimistic side: I think we've got the pieces to be a very tough out come tourney time. This team reminds me of some of denny crum's better teams that had the mcray brothers, and that's a team w/ a really high ceiling.

A lot is still TBD with this team. We could be anywhere from an opening weekend exit team, to an in the Championship game team.

PG: The most important position for most of Cal's teams, hell for most teams period. While there is no clear superstar here, there is a lot of positives.
1) we have 2 very capable PGs, who offer different styles, but quality-wise there is little difference in them. SGA leads in minutes (2nd on the team), and is showing to be a very good defender (2.5 Stl/gm). But Green is 5th on the team in minutes and may be our best shooter, and so this 2-headed PG monster (obviously they play together some, so some of this is at the 2G) average 51.9mpg, 20.0ppg, 7.3apg, 6.0rpg, 2.9spg, 4.9topg, 3.1fpg, make 51.7% of the FGs, 42.3% of their 3's, and 87.1% of the FTs. Make that per 40min stats, and that is still 15.4ppg, 5.6apg, 4.6rpg, 2.2spg, and 3.8topg. What's not to like about those #'s, except for the TO's. But they are FR, and that is the area most FR PGs tend to improve on the most as the season progresses. Wall, Knight & other FR PGs turned it over a lot in Nov & Dec.

SG/2G: We will call this 2G from here on out, because "shooting guard" is not a description of Diallo. He doesn't shoot it well. The form looks ok, but he needs to be open to have much chance of making a 3 (29%). Despite that his overall FG% is still 45%, so he isn't horribly inefficient. He does average a nice 4.8rpg, and 1.0spg. So he does contribute more than just scoring.

SF: For the first time in Cal's 9 seasons at UK, SF is the position of our best player. Knox isn't great at anything, but does a lot of things well. He's our best scoring option, out 2nd best shooter, is also 2nd in steals, 2nd in rebounds. The 19 TOs is a bit of a concern, but that may just be him trying to shoulder too much of the scoring load. As his teammates improve, I expect his TO's to go down. He leads (by far) in minutes, 35.3mpg.

PF: Probably our weakest position so far. Washington has been inconsistent, has turned it over a lot (2.75topg), and is horrible at the line (46%). Gabriel has been no better. If we can get some improved play at this position, the team automatically is a lot better.

C: This hasn't been a bad position for us, and may also have the most room for growth. Richards and SKJ have both had good games, and like the PG pair the 2 seem to complement each other. Combined they average 34.9mpg, and score 13.5ppg, 10.9rpg, & 2.75bpg. So their 40 min average is 15.5ppg, 12.5rpg, & 3.2bpg. Those are some nice numbers from what many thought pre-season may be our weakest position.

I had no clue what to expect going into the season, and I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised so far. Especially since our team is mostly made up of guys who've never played college ball. I think there's been a lot of improvement since game 1, but there are still things that need work, but that's expected. One thing I like is this team doesn't seem to get too rattled. In our early games, we got down double digits, but the team found ways to fight back. We've seen some young Cal teams just fall apart in those situations. That was a huge plus for me.

I told myself I'd wait for SEC play to start, before judging and I'm going stick to that. However, I like the pieces that we have and if we keep working and improving than this team can no doubt make a run. It's all about getting hot at the right moment, and I could see this team hitting their stride come March.
I think even in SEC play I am going to wait and judge based on the second half of the SEC schedule.SEC seems to be pretty good this year so we may still have some growing to do in the first half.

If they continue to improve I think they could go all the way to the final four where anything can happen. Look at how much Richards, Sha, Knox, Diallo, and Green have improved since the first game. Yes, Washington has struggled but he can turn pretty quick if he keeps working. I think we have enough to go all the way with or without Vanderbilt. I hope he returns in late December or early January, but I don't count on that happening. To win a NC you have to have a great team but you also need some luck. Look back to loses that Georgetown and Houston had and they were great teams. Maybe we can get lucky this year and end up in a good bracket with no Higgins ref in the elite 8 or final 4. Thoughts....... Please be nice as you can....Not

They can get a whole lot better, not a very good teem right now. None of these kids have enough experience for the game to slow down for them.

Sadly, I think unless we get a healthy Vanderbilt fairly soon, and a "contributing shooter" in Baker fairly soon (not sure of his ability at this level), we are in for a slightly disappointing season development. I want to be there in the end, but I'm not very optimistic honestly. We lack a good offensive big (once again), and our shooting is pretty dismal. 14% from 3 ain't gonna beat many quality teams come March. Hate to be a pessimist, but haven't really seen anything other than Knox to change my mind.
The good news is your stats are wrong. We're not shooting 14% from 3...try 34.3%.

I know its a terrible way to think, but been like this since 2014. Unless we are head and shoulders above everyone we face, I just feel were not going to be able to win one. The target is too big and too many a holes are firing at it.
You have a very poor memory of last year.

Shai is also a turnover machine.

So it's not clear cut.
Sure it is...he also has nearly 40% of the team's steals....he also leads the team in assists. He's also shooting 85% from the line. He has 4 more turnovers than Knox and only 1 more than PJ...he'll improve in that area while playing PG.

Basically looks like a stat sheet stuffer to me.

You have a very poor memory of last year.
Last year is an example of what he is talking about. If we aren't forced to play 15 minutes in the first half with out 5,6,7,8,9th men and if they don't take two legal baskets off the board in the first half with terrible calls then we are likely up double digits at halftime and not timid to defend in the second half. There is real corruption in the NCAA and basketball is the worst of it bc it's the easiest sport to manipulate outcomes and tempo.

Higgins has been the henchman more than once to end our season and it's not by complete chance that every year, even as the number one overall seed in 15, we get a murderers row path to the final that usually has multiple storyline matchups or style of play matchups that target a weakness

To be honest, I really don't have a clue how good this team will be come SEC play.
Some games I think it's going to be a long year, and some games I think we could get to the final four.

One thing that's troublesome, is the lack of urgency to guard the three point shot. Jesus, with the length inside, you would think Cal would tell our guards to quit switching and force the teams to try and score inside against our big's length.

Did we win it last year? No we didnt, Higgins decided our fate. Memory is just fine.

We seem to need to be absolutely dominate to take control of our own destiny.
Even with Higgins we had a chance. Acting like we didn’t is up to you.

ADVERTISEMENT