ADVERTISEMENT

How many UK championship games have you watched live?

Clarify, naty title games,,,or include sec, nit, tourneys too?

78, 96, 98 and 12. All on TV.
I can't say any one of them is my "favorite", but I suppose since '78 was my first one, ( I was 16 at the time), and I had some family that was very close to the program and got to meet, and play against some of the players in the off season, may be the most special to me.

1975 to Present. 1998 was fun because we beat Duke in the major comeback from 17 down enroute to the championship.
2012 was a lot of fun because I loved A.D and how he could dominate ANY game just by stepping on the court!
1978 was a lot of fun too. Just watching a Kentucky boy (Goose Givens) dominate and own Duke, that memory will last a lifetime!!
GO BIG BLUE!!!

Reactions: railroadkat_1
How many UK championship games have you watched live (in person or televised) and which was your favorite?
78 was the first and I think that it was the best the guys just were fundamentally better the kids today are allowed to constantly walk with the ball the college game has been corrupted just like the NBA it started with mj when went to the NBA and now they take 4 or 5 steps without putting the ball on the floor. Ps sorry bout the rant just not the same game

Reactions: KyJones64 and blubo
Watched the 2012 title game from the sixth row. Will never forget that game and experience.

I know what you mean. I was right behind the bench at that game and that was my senior year at U.K. An experience like no other. That team was NOT going to lose.
IMG-20120402-00702.jpg

1996 was the most special one for me. After the probation, Laettner in 92, losing to the Fab Five in 93 and UNC in 95, I wasn't sure if I'd ever get to see a national title. 92-95 had some real gut punches.

My dad's told me a couple times about shipping off to Vietnam the week of the 1966 game and thinking about the loss on the flight over. That makes the early 90s seem not so bad.

From 1958 on........ 1958 was my favorite because I was 14 years old and the championship weekend was my first time seeing the Cats in person. The night before we beat Temple and All American Guy Rogers. The championship was against Seattle who had one of the greatest players in basketball history, Elgin Baylor. Adolph Rupp shut him down in a brilliant coaching job. Baylor was really, really good.

So 1958 for me.

In person 97, 98 and 2012. All others since 1966 were watched on TV. 1998 was especially memorable since we had better seats than Ashley Judd!

I know what you mean. I was right behind the bench at that game and that was my senior year at U.K. An experience like no other. That team was NOT going to lose.
IMG-20120402-00702.jpg
Man that is fantastic!!! I was basically kitty corner to you. Opposite side of the court and close to the KU cheerleaders on the other side. Got nervous as hell in those final few minutes when KU was getting closer. Teague was so clutch in that game hitting some big shots and just playing great. Lamb was money as I recall too. Jones was solid. AD with the great D all game. And MKG with the huge block in the last minutes that stopped all the momentum. Just an amazing experience.

I was at Cole Fieldhouse in 1966 against UTEP. Watched on TV 1975,1978,1996, was in Inianapolis for 1997, watched on TV 1998, as well as the others on TV from 2011 onward.

Seen so many I skipped a few when we didn't make it to the Championship but that was 2 I believe. Congratulations to all who have had the honor of being there live. I've been to sub-regionals and sweet sixteen and Elite 8 regionals. Had a chance to go to San Antonia free tickets but had gone to SEC and spent money well over my budget. Spent money Like I had it until the market crashed.

My wife put her foot down and I respected that. While on the subject let me Wish all Mothers on here including my Wife and my Daughter who gave us a bouncing Handsome Grandson a very Happy Mothers Day. Peace to all!

Reactions: TeoJ
Championship games - 96-98, 12, 14. Favorite was 96-98. 2012 is close though. Fandom really began with the 1992 season, cried after the Duke game, lol. Add in the 92-93 season with Mashburn and I was hooked for life.

Seven. The first championship, '78, probably the favorite. If not it's '96 because of homeboy Anthony epps being the starting point. Leading Marion county to its only sweet sixteen championship, and then the Cats to the title 3 years later makes that one pretty special.

I was at the RCA Dome when we lost to Zona, was at the Alamo Dome when we beat Utah and was at the Kansas game in New Orleans and watched the others on TV going back to 78.

I have seen all after and including 1958. Listened to all prior to 1958 on radio. Still hoping to add one more in the winner's circle. I'm one old Wildcat.

Reactions: musrat59
ADVERTISEMENT