ADVERTISEMENT

How is Univ of Cincinnati better than UK?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Piddling conference? Check
Piddling facilities (in comparison)? Check
Tough place to recruit? Check
Huge in-state football powerhouse who gets all the best recruits in their backyard? Check

Would kick UK's ass by 2+ touchdowns this year? Unfortunately, check

How? There is absolutely no reason for us to have an inferior team to UC - none. While we play in a much harder conference and therefore won't necessarily have a better record, this year (and a few other recent years), UC has the better team and would kick our ass. Something's wrong and I don't believe it's just QB. On paper, there is no way their roster was ranked as high, had as many P5 offers, etc. as UK's. But, they're better. Somebody's got some 'splainin' to do, imo.

Reactions: UKat1
Huge in-state football powerhouse who gets all the best recruits in their backyard? Check

How? There is absolutely no reason for us to have an inferior team to UC - none. While we play in a much harder conference and therefore won't necessarily have a better record, this year (and a few other recent years), UC has the better team and would kick our ass. Something's wrong and I don't believe it's just QB. On paper, there is no way their roster was ranked as high, had as many P5 offers, etc. as UK's. But, they're better. Somebody's got some 'splainin' to do, imo.
Interesting to note that their QB is from Louisville and played at St. X. He’s pretty good.

K Time, it doesn't matter who their schedule is. We have proven were not a very good team this year. When you let Mizzou dominate you, like they did us, it would be hard for me to think we could beat anyone. Seems like I remember Us barely beating Eastern, Ky a few years ago, and if I remember correctly, Western did kick our A$$. I never take any school for granted.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: UKat1 and mktmaker
Here is how:

Austin Peay
Army
South Florida
Tulsa
SMU
Memphis
Houston
E Carolina
UCF

I addressed this in the OP - of course, UC plays in a weaker conference and therefore a weaker schedule. No where in the OP did I say why does UC have a better RECORD. This year for sure, they have a better TEAM (and a few years prior to this, also). UC would whip our butts this year regardless of who is on their schedule. Yes, we'd probably be unbeaten or 1-loss playing their schedule thus far. That doesn't mean we're the better team. Bet UC wouldn't have lost the Ole Miss or Mizzou games. Your comment did not address the question I asked: why are they BETTER (not why do they have a better record).

Reactions: UKat1
I addressed this in the OP - of course, UC plays in a weaker conference and therefore a weaker schedule. No where in the OP did I say why does UC have a better RECORD. This year for sure, they have a better TEAM (and a few years prior to this, also). UC would whip our butts this year regardless of who is on their schedule. Yes, we'd probably be unbeaten or 1-loss playing their schedule thus far. That doesn't mean we're the better team. Bet UC wouldn't have lost the Ole Miss or Mizzou games. Your comment did not address the question I asked: why are they BETTER (not why do they have a better record).

Dude...Ridder sucks. You think they’re good because they slowed SMU down? They have a good defense, that’s it.

Vegas oddsmakers: UK -7.5 in Lexington

UK -1.5 at Nippert

Last edited:

I don't think they are better, nor would they beat us.

Dude...Ridder sucks. You think they’re good because they slowed SMU down? They have a good defense, that’s it.

Vegas oddsmakers: UK -7.5 in Lexington

UK -1.5 at Nippert
He may not be great, I understand, but he doesn’t suck. He does get picked a lot, though.

Last edited:
K Time, it doesn't matter who their schedule is. We have proven were not a very good team this year. When you let Mizzou dominate you, like they did us, it would be hard for me to think we could beat anyone. Seems like I remember Us barely beating Eastern, Ky a few years ago, and if I remember correctly, Western did kick our A$$. I never take any school for granted.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
We beat UT by 27 last week.

not hard for me to believe we can win. Not at all.

And Western would not beat this team.

Reactions: TM2013 and CB3UK

They probably still wouldn’t even beat us

Reactions: TM2013
I really question why some of you people are even kentucky fans? Remember when Louisville was a national power and they were beating the likes of the big East and American conference? What happened when they got into a real conference?

Let’s not pretend like Cincinnati is all the sudden Alabama because they have strung together a few good years in an average conference.

Has the OP ever wondered about boise state? I mean I’m sure powerhouse Idaho produces tons of in state talent and that’s why they are able to compete at a high level and even beat Oklahoma in a BCS game.

We have dropped a few games we should not have this year, we need an actual offense, or to just run the ball 60 times with the right personnel, but we are not an AAC team.

This board feels like the fellowship of the miserable at times. Can’t wait for basketball to start so some of the less interested fans can move to their sport.

Reactions: CGblue and Girthang
I really question why some of you people are even kentucky fans? Remember when Louisville was a national power and they were beating the likes of the big East and American conference? What happened when they got into a real conference?

Let’s not pretend like Cincinnati is all the sudden Alabama because they have strung together a few good years in an average conference.

Has the OP ever wondered about boise state? I mean I’m sure powerhouse Idaho produces tons of in state talent and that’s why they are able to compete at a high level and even beat Oklahoma in a BCS game.

We have dropped a few games we should not have this year, we need an actual offense, or to just run the ball 60 times with the right personnel, but we are not an AAC team.

This board feels like the fellowship of the miserable at times. Can’t wait for basketball to start so some of the less interested fans can move to their sport.

So much incorrect about this post.

Since UC is literally just up the road and we recruit the Cincy area heavily, I think it's absolutely relevant if they have a better team than us. Didn't say they were Alabama just that I think they're better than us this year. Also, didn't hint that they would win the SECE or any such nonsense. All I questioned was why they seem to have a better team: certainly a much better offense, a reasonable defense that wouldn't embarrass themselves in the SEC and at least equal special teams. They're ranked #7 currently. And pollsters love to underappreciate non-P5 teams so other 'experts' think they've got a darn good team, too.

And, in case you missed it, UofL kicked our asses plenty of times when they were Big East, a pitiful conference at the time. So, conference affiliation doesn't necessarily equal quality of team. Hell, the ACC has been woeful for several years yet, somehow, Clemson has managed to win a couple of championships and play for another in just the past few years.

I didn't say we were an AAC team - we're much better than most of that conference. However, from what I've seen watching them on TV, UC is better than UK. Might play out differently if we played them for real but, honestly, it shouldn't even be much of a comparison. UK should have many more advantages and, on paper, a lot more talent but we don't play as well as UC's talent does - again, from what I've seen this year (and what the pollsters believe currently).

I've been a UK fan since 1969 and I've watched and agonized over decades of crappy football. If I watch 2 UK basketball games a year, it's unusual. I'm curious as to why some piddling-ass, second tier football school like UC (who is practically in our back yard) has a better team this year when, by pretty much any characteristic you can name, UK should have an advantage: money, facilities, conference affiliation, ability to recruit, fan support, TV exposure, etc. And, if this were a once-in-a-decade type of situation, I'd never posted it. But, they've been at or above our level several years in the past 10.

Reactions: mktmaker
We don't know that. Did you think Mizzou could?

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
We absolutely can prove that. I watched it. It was at Neyland. TWO pick 6s!!!! It was great.

It’ll take more than 1 bad loss to forget that we still have a great team.

I’ll remember the Ms St and Ut wins as this teams ceiling. And that ceiling is pretty high.

But yeah, the floor appears to be pretty low...

Reactions: TM2013
So much incorrect about this post.

Since UC is literally just up the road and we recruit the Cincy area heavily, I think it's absolutely relevant if they have a better team than us. Didn't say they were Alabama just that I think they're better than us this year. Also, didn't hint that they would win the SECE or any such nonsense. All I questioned was why they seem to have a better team: certainly a much better offense, a reasonable defense that wouldn't embarrass themselves in the SEC and at least equal special teams. They're ranked #7 currently. And pollsters love to underappreciate non-P5 teams so other 'experts' think they've got a darn good team, too.

And, in case you missed it, UofL kicked our asses plenty of times when they were Big East, a pitiful conference at the time. So, conference affiliation doesn't necessarily equal quality of team. Hell, the ACC has been woeful for several years yet, somehow, Clemson has managed to win a couple of championships and play for another in just the past few years.

I didn't say we were an AAC team - we're much better than most of that conference. However, from what I've seen watching them on TV, UC is better than UK. Might play out differently if we played them for real but, honestly, it shouldn't even be much of a comparison. UK should have many more advantages and, on paper, a lot more talent but we don't play as well as UC's talent does - again, from what I've seen this year (and what the pollsters believe currently).

I've been a UK fan since 1969 and I've watched and agonized over decades of crappy football. If I watch 2 UK basketball games a year, it's unusual. I'm curious as to why some piddling-ass, second tier football school like UC (who is practically in our back yard) has a better team this year when, by pretty much any characteristic you can name, UK should have an advantage: money, facilities, conference affiliation, ability to recruit, fan support, TV exposure, etc. And, if this were a once-in-a-decade type of situation, I'd never posted it. But, they've been at or above our level several years in the past 10.

They play in a non power conference, you know the 3 games we get each year to pad our stats? If they played in a real conference things would be different.

Think about this....

Kentucky returned 17 starters from a team that finished 8-5 and beat a ranked opponent in their last game. We blasted Louisville and yet somehow they were ranked pre season and we weren’t? Imagine if we were ranked 19 to start the year and played a few high school teams up until now. Would we be ranked 9th?

Would cincy be ranked 9th if they played 5 real games?

It is comparing apples to oranges. Does Cincinnati have a better record than ours over their history? More than likely. Does this mean they are the better program? Depends on what standards you use. I think we are trying to be mid to upper tier good in the SEC not become the best non power 5 school. We are on our way to that, with noted frustrations from everybody when we have crappy performances like Saturday.

Or... there’s only one reason. They’re basically playing high school teams every single week.
This is not completely true. I mean "yes", they do play a shit schedule. But, Fickell is a good coach, he has recruited well and Cincinnati is a pretty good team. Do I think they are better talent-wise than UK on paper, no. They're in a similar position to what Louisville was before they joined the ACC. UC is a good stepping stone school, with fertile recruiting ground and they play an easy schedule. All that adds up to being a great school for a young up and coming coach to hone his skills and be in a position to land a bigger job. I don't think Fickell will be there much longer.

Sadly, I do think Fickell is a better coach than Stoops. At least for having an all-around complete team. Stoops just lays too many damn eggs in games UK needs to win. Don't even get me started on the pee wee league passing offense we're running.

Last edited:

They are a very average team playing in a shit conference. If they were in the SEC, they would be hoping and praying Vandy has a bad game against them so they dont go 0-10

Reactions: Girthang and TM2013
What's the point in starting threads like this? You just want to disparage UK? You going to make a thread like this about every team with a winning record with zero common opponents or relevancy to UK at all?

Look at his name Gamecock. He throws cats in the end but with his posting it seems he’s a gamecock

Reactions: CGblue and Girthang
Which means you should be able to answer your own question. But the answer you are looking for is they aren't better. There is no way to determine that since they don't play a series of games to determine if they are.

But my guess is, if they did, Kentucky would won 8-10 times.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Which means you should be able to answer your own question. But the answer you are looking for is they aren't better. There is no way to determine that since they don't play a series of games to determine if they are.

This. Personally I would take UK in a head to head matchup. But he's trying to play it like they're some dominant team. He also doesn't take into affect of playing the toughest teams in the nation week after week. Cincy would maybe beat UK or maybe even Vandy. Or they may even win a big bowl game against Auburn or whoever. But in a 10 game SEC schedule, they would come out about 2-8. If Vandy had all their players now, they would kill the Bearcats. It's the whole UCF argument. They play one huge bowl game and get a win and proclaim they are national champs. Meanwhile their SOS is something around 100. Cincinnatis SOS now is 74. It would be lower than that if all the teams had been playing since week 1.

But you're free to believe whatever. Go cheer for them if you wish. It won't change the reality that they're an average team playing below average teams.

Because we have their former coach Eddie Gran calling plays for us now.

Also OP if you're curious, here's the overall talent rankings for each opponent for each team. Courteous of 247 Sports Team Talent Composite

Auburn - 14
Ole Miss - 29
Miss. St - 23
Tennessee - 15
Missouri - 46
Average opponent talent - 25.4

Cincinnati's opponents
Austin Peay - 131
Army - 129
USF - 73
SMU - 64
Average opponent talent - 99.25

Man we have some of the dumbest posters.

This. Personally I would take UK in a head to head matchup. But he's trying to play it like they're some dominant team. He also doesn't take into affect of playing the toughest teams in the nation week after week. Cincy would maybe beat UK or maybe even Vandy. Or they may even win a big bowl game against Auburn or whoever. But in a 10 game SEC schedule, they would come out about 2-8. If Vandy had all their players now, they would kill the Bearcats. It's the whole UCF argument. They play one huge bowl game and get a win and proclaim they are national champs. Meanwhile their SOS is something around 100. Cincinnatis SOS now is 74. It would be lower than that if all the teams had been playing since week 1.

But you're free to believe whatever. Go cheer for them if you wish. It won't change the reality that they're an average team playing below average teams.
Exactly it right here the 10 games you get the hell beat out of you in each SEC game it would be hard as hell to win that 1 big bowl game. If you play the 10 easy games and skate through then that 1 big bowl game that you have would be much easier to win!

The question is impossible to answer as there is no conference playing out of their own basically. But to the point..

1. UK played like ass vs. Mizzou...no two ways about it.
2. The week before we just won a big rival game at UT...and next week we get UGA....so the grind of playing teams with 4 and 5 * kids is hard as a whole but it makes it equally for each game week in and week out.

As far as UC goes...they get to play a tougher game in 1 week and then maybe play 2 scrubs in a row and there probably aren't but 2-3 teams with a pulse on their schedule...so for 1 game they can gear up whereas UK has a lull and it will bite you.

Furthermore..and this is the impossible to quantify....even the decent teams on that schedule are good offensively and pretty much stink on D. So all people will argue offensive creativity for these small conference guys and then they get into SEC where you face great athletes and you can't throw deep routes all day to get pass off. Chad Morris was the man at SMU (on UC schedule) and he was blasted into getting fired in 2 years at Arkansas. So Fickell may be better than Stoops....but he also may be another Butch Jones, Kevin Sumlin, Chad Morris, etc...that gets chewed up and spit out in SEC.

Reactions: mktmaker

They aren't and they wouldn't. This isn't fkn basketball. It's football. If you think our OL and DL wouldn't beat the sht out of their front lines and change the entire game, then you don't know squat about football and being that ignorant there's nothing anyone here can do to help you with that.

Dog your team, if it's even your team, and run your mouth all you want. You'll have a lot of company here.

Look at his name Gamecock. He throws cats in the end but with his posting it seems he’s a gamecock

USCJr fans are among the worst. Might as well be UL or theOtherSUniversity of Ohio fans.

Easy UK staff is not QB friendly they are more interested in how he runs then his passing

Every.fkng.day.of.every.fkng.year.I.ask.the.same.question. Worst thing about this program. Always have been and always will be. Even when UK's been getting better and winning games, ending streaks, there is a big bunch of btchy fans that are asshles and that don't deserve to be a part of it. They think that tailgating or buying tickets entitles them to be the worst people.

FOTM is everywhere. You just have to accept that there will always be dckheads wanted to tall the program down even during and after a 10 win season. Fk em, though.

Reactions: CGblue and Jont0805
So, they're ranked #7 right now because they'd go 0-10 in the SEC and pray for a bad day against Vandy? Wow, I'm a huge fan but I'm also a realist. They have a better team than us this year, imo, based on what I've seen thus far. They would not go undefeated in the SEC - I did not say they're a great team by any means. I said, this year so far, they are better than us and I don't see how every person who votes on this stuff in the national polls could be that wrong. We're not ranked at all and have looked like dog crap in various phases of the game in almost every game we've played so far. But, we're better than the #7 ranked team?

I understand that their record is going to be better than ours. I've said so in two separate posts - we play in a MUCH harder conference so our record, pretty much every year, is going to suffer. But, UC has a very solid team in all three phases. If you don't think they'd be able to stop our 'offense' with as pitiful as it has been in many games thus far, then you're drinking the blue Koolaid. Missouri's defense isn't any good except perhaps against the run. And we stunk up the joint. You don't think the #7 rated team has as good a defense as Missouri? Their offense is pretty effective and I think they'd move the ball on us. Hell, lately all they'd need to do is score 17 points and we're toast.

Really horrible post by the OP. Chris Rodriguez and our O LIne would annihilate UC's defense. Just like they did against Missouri whose defense is really not that good?

I also did not say at any time that I think they have a better program overall. I was wondering how is it, with all the advantages we should and do have over them, they're able to field a better team than us? There's no excuse for that except for the once-every-decade anomaly and this isn't the only year in the last 10 that they were better than us.

OP has a very strong opinion and believes it wholeheartedly. He must be right! Everyone must believe him!

Reactions: CGblue

Weaker league ! UK would kick their ass. I've watched most their games.

Cincinnati is not better than UK. Not even close in my opinion. I'm frustrated with the way this season has unraveled as well but we have to have a little perspective. UK would be undefeated with Cincinnati's schedule. Mean while UC would probably not have a win on the year with ours.

Weaker league ! UK would kick their ass. I've watched most their games.

Maybe so, but I personally feel that saying UK would kick their A$$ is using the American language very loosely. In years past, and hopefully in the future, that may be true, but not this year. It would depend on which UK team showed up. We cannot take anyone for granted, even the "Little Sisters of the Poor."

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

So UK lost on the road by 10 to an SEC team who by the way beat LSU. But we'd get hammered by UC and shouldn't overlook "LSOTP". Alrighty THEN! Dumb and Dumber..

We'd beat the brakes off Cincinnati. You can be upset with the last game, but get real.

So UK lost on the road by 10 to an SEC team who by the way beat LSU. But we'd get hammered by UC and shouldn't overlook "LSOTP". Alrighty THEN! Dumb and Dumber..

It's not that we lost, it's how we lost. LSU is NOT the team they were last year. They lost a GREAT QB and 14 starters. We can all guess what we would do against UC, but no one knows, unless we played them. I seem to remember how we were going to beat Mizzou. We know how that turned out. When you are one dimensional, as we are, it is easy for a coach to prepare for us. Mizzou proved that with a Freshman QB. Like I, and a lot of posters say, until we make changes to our style of play, most years we will win 6 or 7 games. That is fine if your satisfied with that. No problem, that's your choice. Hopefully we will see a different game plan against Georgia, since I understand we will have a different QB. I still don't understand why a coach would play a QB if he wasn't 100%, as I understand TW wasn't. I thought that's why you recruited more then one QB. There are a lot of Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda, on here, but Would only happens when you play someone.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

What makes you think that UC is better than UK? They play a bad schedule. Give them our schedule and they'd finish lower than we would.

ADVERTISEMENT