ADVERTISEMENT

How is UK different this year from last?

Aug 11, 2005
As a Golden Eagle alum, I am very glad that the Eagles did not play the Cats at the end of the year. This year USM will not be a secret, or the you could say the "cat is out of the bag." USM has to break in a new qb, but the offense should have more speed at the skill positions. Defense must contain big plays in the secondary and stop the run. Anyway I would like to hear your thoughts. +10 USM sounds about right.

Reactions: TNTUK
As a Golden Eagle alum, I am very glad that the Eagles did not play the Cats at the end of the year. This year USM will not be a secret, or the you could say the "cat is out of the bag." USM has to break in a new qb, but the offense should have more speed at the skill positions. Defense must contain big plays in the secondary and stop the run. Anyway I would like to hear your thoughts. +10 USM sounds about right.

Lots here know more about UK than me as they aren't my number 1 team but a step behind that team. The biggest thing is more experience and I think they have a better idea of what they have than last year. The secondary has one really good performer and 2 very solid SEC type CB who are very tall CBs and both will get a chance to play on Sundays. The LBers had a star emerge last year, maybe even exceded their expectations in Jordan Jones and another who is a very good pass rusher. DL is still a big question mark both on front liners and depth. Offensively they return a qb who proved to be a winner last season, I think he went 7-4 as the starter, a top of the line SEC lvl RB, depth is unproven but shows alot of promise, TE is very good both as blocker and receiver, WR has some experience, but their numbers won't blow you away. Strength of the offense may lay with the OL, talented, experienced and deep, probably the best unit on the team. Kicking game is very good, punting is an adventure, will be looking for a return man who can make some plays in fall camp. I think that is a pretty fair and objective report, I am sure others will see things a little different, but that is my opinion.

Lots here know more about UK than me as they aren't my number 1 team but a step behind that team. The biggest thing is more experience and I think they have a better idea of what they have than last year. The secondary has one really good performer and 2 very solid SEC type CB who are very tall CBs and both will get a chance to play on Sundays. The LBers had a star emerge last year, maybe even exceded their expectations in Jordan Jones and another who is a very good pass rusher. DL is still a big question mark both on front liners and depth. Offensively they return a qb who proved to be a winner last season, I think he went 7-4 as the starter, a top of the line SEC lvl RB, depth is unproven but shows alot of promise, TE is very good both as blocker and receiver, WR has some experience, but their numbers won't blow you away. Strength of the offense may lay with the OL, talented, experienced and deep, probably the best unit on the team. Kicking game is very good, punting is an adventure, will be looking for a return man who can make some plays in fall camp. I think that is a pretty fair and objective report, I am sure others will see things a little different, but that is my opinion.
Well shit. Not much else to say. Grump laying it out there pretty well.

We didn't play Johnson or Snell in our first 2 games last year. They completely changed our team.

Yep!

We were the youngest team in America, last season, so the old mantra of "bigger, stronger, faster" might really be appropriate this season.

And as the quoted post says, there was an unusual emergence of two players who had received no preseason hype, last year, during the 3rd game.

Benjamin Snell, Jr., and quarterback Steven Johnson, Jr., had their coming out parties in the same game, when UK was 0-2, and trailing at home to New Mexico State. They played lots (after the injury to starting QB Barker sustained in the So. Miss game and then re-injured in the NMS game).

Snell ended the season tied for second in the SEC for TD's, and Johnson was in the top 5 QB's in the nation for TD tosses of 40 yards or more. Our whole offense slowly evolved into a power running game, punctuated by long throws. A far cry from the "hunt-and-peck, yards-after-catch" Air Raid we saw against Southern Miss, and could not execute AT ALL against Florida with a gimpy Barker.

In short, consider two statistics/comparisons from 2016: UK rushed for its most yards in a season, since its SEC title season of 1976, and Steven Johnson, Jr. threw for more lengthy TD's than UK legends Tim Couch and Andre Woodson, combined, in their multi-season careers at UK.

Great summary.

I would feel better if Boom had come back, but still optimistic that we'll have a good season.

Does anyone feel great about RB behind Snell?

I've watched Kentucky football for over 50 years. Seen some good, a lot not so good so when I hear about a kid coming in I usually temper my expectations, after all they're just freshman. This kid from Ohio though, this Bowden kid really eases my concerns at running back after Snell. I think this kid is gonna show us things rarely seen in these parts. I hope Gran creates some packages with both Snell and Bowden in the backfield. Could be a nightmare matchup for defenses. I think he'll be an ample backup for Snell when he needs a breather. Kid is absolutely explosive in open field. Look forward to seeing the Benny & Bowden show this fall.

we didn't quit in the second half last year against USM. Barker, when USM brought pressure in the second half, had three TO in five possessions. You don't have to think about pressure in spring or fall practice or even the spring game as you're wearing the red jersey. Barker faced pressure in 2015 against UL (he was 6-27) and FLA(he was 2-10). My unproven theory is that pressure rattles him. Hope I'm wrong.

Great analysis....I'll just add I hope that my Eagles luck is better than other teams that played at The Rock... A&M, Nebraska, Cal, and Florida State were all big time games that the Eagles fell short but did win against Okie State and TCU. BTW Jared Lorenzen is a freak of nature. I enjoyed watching him make plays.

The biggest difference IMO is we have a new defensive coordinator who will have Mark Stoops to lean on. Plus, we found our identity as a run first team a few games after the USM game last season. Benny Snell will get the ball early and often.

Reactions: BARRYBLUE1
Is the SEC East comparable to last year?

Hard to say, really. I think Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina and Kentucky will all be improved over last season. But just how things shake out and who emerges as the top 3 schools is up in the air. Opinions are all over the map.

Hard to say, really. I think Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina and Kentucky will all be improved over last season. But just how things shake out and who emerges as the top 3 schools is up in the air. Opinions are all over the map.
I agree on UGA and USC given they lost very little from the better playmakers. UF is sort of a close call on what they lose vs. what they gain.

But how can anyone argue UT will be improved? They lost one of their top 5 DL in school history, QB who ran around and made plays constantly (including his share of bad ones), best RB in Kamara, top CB, top LBer and best WR. I just don't see them improving with possible exception of team defense slightly and maybe team chemistry.

Three things that Have Changed:
  1. For the first two games last year, UK played under the assumption that they were going to be a high-flying, air it out team that had to outscore people. That style of play may put butts in the seats, but when your defense is already think and young, gassing them on quick three and outs is a bad idea. After the Florida debacle, UK embraced a between the tackles running game complimented by a vertical passing game. This is not a dink and dunk / screen-based offense. It's more like "punch-punch-bomb". When done well, they ram it down your throat and when you creep up to the line they go over deep on posts and seam routes.
  2. After Barker's injury, we switched to JC transfer Stephen Johnson, who was something of a revelation. Johnson won't impress you with his size, arm strength, or pinpoint accuracy. However, he throws a great deep ball, is composed, and unflappable in the pocket. He steadily improved as the year went on and played his best ball late in the season--especially the UofL game. (Since Juice Johnson and Stephen Johnson both played well in that game, I like to point out that UK, literally, smacked UofL around with their Johnsons.
  3. At midseason, Stoops more or less took the defense away from his DC D.J. Eliot (who left for Colorado in the offseason). Eliot's primary deficiencies were his inability to change with the flow of the game and his penchant for going conservative when the situation called for aggression. Stoops' hands on approach fostered teamwork and accountability on a defense that was much improved by the end of the year.
I imagine that UK will go down to Hattiesburg, grab some mud pie, and ram it down USM's throat. They'll control the clock and turn USM into a one-dimensional team. I'm fairly confident that the game will be over by the third quarter.

Now, if I was grading the units:

QB: B, Johnson is a great leader, but there are holes in his game.
RB: B+, Snell is top notch, but the depth behind him is suspect.
WR: C+, Conrad (TE) is a real weapon, but WR corps is wildly inconsistent and frustrating.
OL: A, Best OL I can remember at UK and one of the top 2-3 in the SEC. Physical and sound.
_______

DL: B-, There's potential, but much of it is inexperienced. There's a lot to prove this year.
LB: A, Vastly underrated. The Ware/Allen/Jones trio is going to be fun to watch. Love will surprise.
DB: B+, Long and athletic. Got burned on occasion, but kept getting better as the year progressed.

K: A, Clutch x2
P: F, UK must find someone who can punt. A train wreck last year.

Three things that Have Changed:
  1. For the first two games last year, UK played under the assumption that they were going to be a high-flying, air it out team that had to outscore people. That style of play may put butts in the seats, but when your defense is already think and young, gassing them on quick three and outs is a bad idea. After the Florida debacle, UK embraced a between the tackles running game complimented by a vertical passing game. This is not a dink and dunk / screen-based offense. It's more like "punch-punch-bomb". When done well, they ram it down your throat and when you creep up to the line they go over deep on posts and seam routes.
  2. After Barker's injury, we switched to JC transfer Stephen Johnson, who was something of a revelation. Johnson won't impress you with his size, arm strength, or pinpoint accuracy. However, he throws a great deep ball, is composed, and unflappable in the pocket. He steadily improved as the year went on and played his best ball late in the season--especially the UofL game. (Since Juice Johnson and Stephen Johnson both played well in that game, I like to point out that UK, literally, smacked UofL around with their Johnsons.
  3. At midseason, Stoops more or less took the defense away from his DC D.J. Eliot (who left for Colorado in the offseason). Eliot's primary deficiencies were his inability to change with the flow of the game and his penchant for going conservative when the situation called for aggression. Stoops' hands on approach fostered teamwork and accountability on a defense that was much improved by the end of the year.
I imagine that UK will go down to Hattiesburg, grab some mud pie, and ram it down USM's throat. They'll control the clock and turn USM into a one-dimensional team. I'm fairly confident that the game will be over by the third quarter.

Now, if I was grading the units:

QB: B, Johnson is a great leader, but there are holes in his game.
RB: B+, Snell is top notch, but the depth behind him is suspect.
WR: C+, Conrad (TE) is a real weapon, but WR corps is wildly inconsistent and frustrating.
OL: A, Best OL I can remember at UK and one of the top 2-3 in the SEC. Physical and sound.
_______

DL: B-, There's potential, but much of it is inexperienced. There's a lot to prove this year.
LB: A, Vastly underrated. The Ware/Allen/Jones trio is going to be fun to watch. Love will surprise.
DB: B+, Long and athletic. Got burned on occasion, but kept getting better as the year progressed.

K: A, Clutch x2
P: F, UK must find someone who can punt. A train wreck last year.
Thanks, my differences, all D: DL: C-; LB: B+; DB: A-; P: D+

Reactions: BlueRattie
If you forgot, Barker got hurt in the SoMiss game, but our defense was still coached by Elliot . The second half no offense, due to Barker injury, but and it's a big But, Elliot couldn't rally the defense to preserve the lead. So a hell of lot is different, in a positive way

Many of our players were learning on the fly 2 years with essentially the same players at every position, a great group of redshirt freshmen plus another top 25/30 recruiting class. On paper we are better I give our LB's and Db's both a A/A- because of depth. We may have as much depth along the O-line as anyone in college fb.

I would rather have USM play the non horned UT early in the season, but this game had been on the schedule for the last decade. UK in Hattiesburg or UT in Knoxville? I'd say UK is on the upswing if UT has lost a lot of components. I'll always remember playing 4 SEC games in the not to distant past. I hope more are on the schedule.

This is one of the reasons SEC football is the best. Opposing SEC fans have a very good read on other teams. Excellent analysis.

For years me and my dad have had false hope. Finally I can truly see a team you have to prepare for. Stoops has done an outstanding job steadily improving.

Reactions: Wvvrn
UT lost 90% of their offensive production from last year and key defensive starters. They definitely take a step back.

Kroger field!....2 for 2 weekened

Is the SEC East comparable to last year?

Last season the East had 6 of 7 teams starting first year QBs, that isn't the case this year, 5 will have qbs with starting experience. UT will have a new qb and apparently UF will also. Last year the East had 3 new head coaches, 2 first time head coaches at that. I think every team improves other than UT and UF. All those defensive players Muschamp recruited to UF are running out of eligibility and UT just lost so much on both sides of the ball. I think we are closing the gap on the West, Bama is still ahead of everyone but I think they may start slipping back to us a little, their coaching turnover the last couple of years has been unreal.

For one thing, we hopefully wont be playing the 2nd half with a qb needing back surgery.

We got rid of the DC that allowed your team to run 2 plays all 2nd half, and still move the ball. Nowhere to go but up in that aspect.

Mark Stoops getting heavily involved in the defense and Eddie Gran settling in as the season went on from the coaching front is the biggest difference.

From personnel aspect Benny Snell didn't play until game three and rushed for over 1,000 yards. S Johnson isn't flashy but he makes winning plays when needed.

Also the emergence of a dominant offensive line with plenty of quality depth behind it.

I think anything less than 8 wins regular season can be looked at as disappointing IMO

Great summary.

I would feel better if Boom had come back, but still optimistic that we'll have a good season.

Does anyone feel great about RB behind Snell?

I feel excellent. I think both Rose, as well as Koback have potential to be every bit as good as Boom was. Both would do it in different ways. I think Koback will emerge as a superstar though. Legit 4.3 forty, about 205-210 pounds, pushed up 23 reps of 225 before ever playing a game for UK (strong as hell), shows natural vision, good shiftiness, and terrific pad level in his film, and at the camps, they would run him at the slot at times and he would show out against elite corners even. In his senior season of football in Ohio, he ran for over 1000 yards in only 5 quarters of football, and to that point, was by far the most productive high school RB in the country. Wouldn't be shocked to see him get reps against Southern Miss, but I feel confident that he'll show up as a star this season.

Somewhere, an SEC defensive coordinator belched loudly when he read that.

That thought in Kentucky hardly leaves a dry eye . . . . and in the rest of the SEC, a dry seat.
You folks are completely forgetting about Rose and King...much more concerned about the loses of Badet.

Thanks for stopping by, I always enjoy hearing the perspective of other fans so I hope you stick around even after the game and give your take on CFB. I think everybody above has pretty much covered your question so I would like to ask you a few.

What do you expect out of your new QB? Will he adequately fill the shoes of Mullen? Do you expect the schemes to change much to suit his strengths? How good will your OL be? Do you like Dawson as your OC?

Who do you expect will be your best players on O and D? What's the biggest strength/weakness of your team? What do you think a successful season looks like for SM?

I guess that's more than a few but I'm just curious about your take, TIA. I'll be rooting for you guys aside from the UK game.

I'm not a football guru like lots of the other posters but I'll try to answer in layman terms. An easier question from you would be "how is UK similar to the team we played last year"? The simple answer is that this year will be nothing like what you faced last year. USM got very lucky playing us injured, unsure and extremely young. All that has changed. Our D has gone from "I hope I can" to "I know I can". On offense, you didn't have to worry about a mobile QB and you certainly didn't have to worry about Benny. SEC defenses struggled to deal with freshman Benny, I don't think USM can do much to stop sophomore Benny. The kid is special. You have a 2nd year coach who underachieved last year and your talent level is down. You have a new QB and new safety's. From your perspective I expect you're gonna think you're playing a team you've never seen before. I believe -10 is a pretty easy bet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT