ADVERTISEMENT

How in gods green earth was the GT player ruled out of bounds?

My "guess" is that he had a 1st down as soon as he hit the ground. Inbound or out of bounds wasn't the issue. The clock automatically stops and doesn't start again until GT snaps the ball. I'm not 100% sure, but I'd bet my left nut.

Reactions: Deeeefense
My "guess" is that he had a 1st down as soon as he hit the ground. The clock automatically stops and doesn't start again until GT snaps the ball. I'm not 100% sure, but I'd bet my left nut.
The ref signals the first down not the clock keeper so the time would have run out.

My "guess" is that he had a 1st down as soon as he hit the ground. Inbound or out of bounds wasn't the issue. The clock automatically stops and doesn't start again until GT snaps the ball. I'm not 100% sure, but I'd bet my left nut.
You are now nutless because you are wrong. Clock starts once spotted. They wouldn't have even been able to get the FG unit on the field.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
If he wasn't out of bounds the clock would start as soon as the ball is spotted for the first down. Now after we called the time out it wouldn't start until the ball is snapped!

Reactions: YJacket82
Who cares? That play had no bearing on the outcome. Take off those points and you still lose 30-18.

You get hosed by the officials you better care. The better team won today, the officials were terrible in the 1st half.

Reactions: Blueaz
Who cares? That play had no bearing on the outcome. Take off those points and you still lose 30-18.

What you should care about is you are a fan of a classless and cheapshot program that relies on cut blocks aND chop blocks. If every one of your players and coach get hurt it serves you right

Reactions: RV2
I'm pretty sure the clock starts running when the chains are moved and in place.

Reactions: howercat
This was a terrible call, but it was also a HUGE defensive breakdown, twice! GT had no timeouts and had under 10 seconds to get about 10 yards. They HAD to throw the ball to the boundary and likely had to get out of bounds. UK should have been taking away the boundary and forcing them to throw it over the middle. Instead, GT threw the same play twice and the first time they almost completed it and the second they did. Basically the 10 yard out was the only play we couldn't give up and we might as well have given it up twice. Should have really been a perfect opportunity to jump a route and get an INT, possibly a pick 6, but instead we allowed them to get the pass and then because of the botched call by the refs, GT tacked on three.

Reactions: zcats
The kick was over 50 yards. It was no gimme. The game was never close enough for a field goal to matter anyway. Kentucky was in the game for the first few minutes. After the scoop and score, I knew you guys couldn't hang. Only question was whether it would be a blowout or not and if so how big the margin was going to be.

The kick was over 50 yards. It was no gimme. The game was never close enough for a field goal to matter anyway. Kentucky was in the game for the first few minutes. After the scoop and score, I knew you guys couldn't hang. Only question was whether it would be a blowout or not and if so how big the margin was going to be.
I think you're missing a few things. Not only the terrible 'out of bounds call' what about the 'piling on' penalty that took us out of FG range to go down 2 score early in the 3rd? How many times have you seen players cause a pile on a deal ball? How many times have you seen another get called for a penalty doing it? The 'holding call' on the INT you all ultimately scored an FG on. There were 2 targeting penalties you all got away with. There was one facemask call on us where our player touched the back of the GT's player's helmets. If you don't believe that the refs decided the winner. Not saying we lost because of them. But we never had a chance to make it a game because of them: you speculating they only gave you all 3 points is far from wrong. At a minimum 9 points, minimum. We didn't even try on our last drive. Had we been tied (which at the least we would've been down 6 due to the refs), or down 6 points. Then obviously we would've approached the final drive much differently. I am never the one to blame refs for a loss. But that was the most one sided game I've ever seen in the history of officiating in this sport we call football from beginning to end. The terrible calls just never stopped.

A targeting no call would've put us in FG range and a first down instead of punting the ball so that's at least another 3 points on top of the original 6 points we were blantanlty screwed on much like the targeting calls. In a game in which we were still one 3rd down stop away from getting the ball down one score in the final 4+\] minutes. These terribly blantant calls/no call thru out the entire game definitely made a difference. Whether you want to admit it or not. The straw that broke that camels back was the play where the GT player was called out of bounds so they could kick an FG. Instead of getting the ball early in the 3rd qrtr down 2 scores at your alls 30 yard line with a chance to down one touchdown we were down 3 scores with a chance to go down 2 scores. Big difference. We were also screwed of that opportunity on a penalty call that is never ever called during loose balls. I didn't even mention the facemask call GT got away with on 3rd down on our final drive in which we turned over on downs the very next play which prevented us from putting one more score on the board. That's moreso just an example of how bad the robbery was from beginning to end.

Last edited:
Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
Another play is when we scored our touchdown the Georgia Tech db was pulling his jersey the whole way. And they kept reviewing the play to see if our guy held onto the ball but you noticed that there was no flag on the play For passing interference in case he did not catch it.

Like your team was so dominant dude. You cheapshotted 3 of our guys out of the game, your coach is an asshole who has a rep for dirty play. We beat ourselves more than it had anything to do with your team. Are all "Tech" schools filled with asshole fans?

Anybody ever called you a little bitch before? Because you are a little punk bitch

Officiating has been down for the most part all season, but the bowl season it seems like they have just completely checked out. There were so many bad calls in our game to even count.

It matters cincyjackass because of the potential influence on momentum and any adjustments Stoops had in mind versus being distracted by horrible officiating.

Reactions: jauk11

lol

We had a chance to win it until the last TD, we finally started playing ball.

The ref signals the first down not the clock keeper so the time would have run out.

Actually the official covering the play kills the clock, the Referee is the one that winds it. Usually some delay in the official seeing that it is a first down, stopping the clock, and the timekeeper actually stopping it. But that can be reviewed and the referee can add time if he decides it is the right thing to do.

So, the clock is stopped with one second left (yes, inbounds, and yes, first down) and will start with the officials wind. And I am a little vague on this but wasn't there a rule that said you couldn't get the ball in play if there was only one second left on the clock, or was that NFL? But then that didn't apply either since time out was called to protest the play and the clock would start on the snap, not the refs ready for play.

The thing that kills me is adding two seconds to the time, NO WAY was that correct,

You would lose your nut then because the clock starts once they spot the ball, not on the snap.

Once the ball is spotted AND the referee either winds the clock (starting it) or gives the ready for play chop, which would be a chop and no start in this case because of the time out, so it would start on the snap.

You would lose your nut then because the clock starts once they spot the ball, not on the snap.
You're right, Levi. Glenn has schooled me on the rule. Lesson learned. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Normally the clock would start on the ready for play but because of the timeout your nut was saved, I hope as a man of your word you haven't already taken care of your promise.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
They started the clock very quick all game. Except that play. If he was getting two conflicting reports like he was saying he had every right to complain. ESP if they was "going to allow them time to kick" And he was inbounds. That would be break one off inside of someone. And pretty much disregarding rules. And making it a three score game instead of a two score game was huge.

But we can't get a punt blocked there anyways and we are not wording about that last play

The regular mechanics of the official covering the play would have given two winds of his arm and then a stop the clock signal. This would have essentially run out the clock.

If it did not, the ball would have been thrown into get spotted and after it was spotted the referee would have started the clock again and gt would've not had any time to get a fg unit on the field.

But it all started on an easy call that was botched, a knee and elbow down in bounds. I think he got excited, forgot to wind the clock and stuck to his signal.

Dave

ADVERTISEMENT