ADVERTISEMENT

How good is the vaunted Florida defense really?

Jun 8, 2017
Well I have seen and heard multiple talking heads (Including UK people) talk reverently about the UF defense. I watched the UT-UF game and the eye test told a completely different story. UT was able to run over, through and around UF esp the 2 half. So remembering I thought after watching the 2 half they were a step below the usual Florida teams i decided to check the stats. UF total defense is now no. 100 in the country in total defense. Their rushing defense 106. I went back and listened to UK talking heads and everyone was just talking about how good their defense is and one said we may not score. The SEC guys said that with all the talent UF had on their front 7 he did not think UK could run effectively and it would come down to SJ passing. One UK expert who I truly respect times 100 echoed that same story line. BUT, but the facts just do not line up with that thinking. Total defense 100 and rushing 106 lead me to believe UK will likely use the same type of game plan it did against USC. Ball control, ball control, ball control. UF is 108 in the nation in time of possession. I believe you will see Coach House use more pressure on defense this week but still play some what soft in the secondary not wanting to give up the big play and make UF offense even more one dimensional. Finally I really believe if you took UF uniforms and made them blank there is no way they would be the favorite. This game has nothing in common with the other 30. It will stand alone Saturday night for good or bad. UK is the more talented team overall and will win by 7-10 very much like the USC game last Saturday. UK 24 UF 14

I've praised the defense based on speed and raw talent. They're still really fast, but not like years past. I may give the Michigan and UT games a rewatch tomorrow.

Can't say that I heard any of that praise talk on UF defense. Ya got a youtube vid embed or even a link about such talk?

Coaches have said it multiple times.

The Florida secondary is solid, but their run defense needs alot of help.

Sadly the only tape we have is Michigan and UT. UT has a good returning senior dominated line and Michigan is well, Michigan.

Which coaches and hook us up with some quotes. Ya wouldn't want me to say you said something you didn't.

I'm not going to rewatch all of the interviews just to give you quotes, the coaches overall impressions were that Florida has a very stout defense. But I know Gran pointed out every position as being impressive on their defensive side and praised them for doing a "very good job". He also said he doesn't see many weaknesses on their defense.

Reactions: UKvisitor
Sadly the only tape we have is Michigan and UT. UT has a good returning senior dominated line and Michigan is well, Michigan.

yes, they have played two pretty good teams. We will have to win a low scoring game for sure.

It's kind of hard to judge how good they are considering they've only played two games and those two teams were Michigan and Tennessee. They're still figuring out who they are on both sides of the ball. I watched a replay of that UT/UF game last night and Florida is still as fast and physical as ever and pretty well coached on top of that.

Reactions: UKvisitor
Gran is sandbagging, IMHO. Thanks for the link about Gran commenting.
Yeah, every coach says the team they are about to play is good. Freddie Maggard said if they had a weakness it was at Dline, which should play to our strength.

Michigan beat Air Force and Cincinnati at home by roughly the same score they beat Florida by on the road. Maybe Michigan isn't that loaded and maybe Florida isn't that good. We can only hope.

This is not the physically dominating Florida defense we have seen the past. They are not without talent, but their defensive line is not going to shut down our running game IMO. The strength of their defense is their edge rushers and their defensive backs. They are very fast and they are ball hawks. SJ needs to be very judicious about where he puts the ball or we risk having one picked. He also needs to be ready to throw the ball away quickly or take a sack on occasion if necessary, and protect the ball.

The better we can run the ball the more we can slow down the pass rush.

Reactions: JC-3
Hey, Gator fan here, let me give you guys a break down of the Florida D.

1) The DEs are the bright spot, they're the most talented and experienced group by far, and compares favorably even with the best DE groups that UF has had.

2) The DT group has exactly 1 experienced difference maker in Taven Bryan. The other starter Clark probably shouldn't be starting in the SEC. Behind them are 3 true freshmen and 1 RS freshman who's like 270 lbs. While Bryan is very good, the group is the worst in recent memory

3) The LB group has 2 sophs and 1 RS frosh starting. The most experienced of the group, a RS soph who's the only returning starter, has been injured. The best remaining, MLB Reese, is pretty good, but he's undersized and a bit slow, not your typical Florida LB. WLB Joseph is pretty raw still, and SLB Moon is an athletic freak but even more raw. Top back-up is a walk-on, two promising freshmen are suspended indefinitely. Probably the worst group in a very long time as well.

4) CBs - Duke Dawson is as good as any that's come through Florida, and that's saying a lot. True frosh Wilson is a star already, probably better than his older brother Quincy Wilson at the same stage, but he's still a true frosh. True frosh Henderson is the 3rd guy, he's had 2 pick-6's already but he's not as good as the stats would have you believe. Overall a pretty solid group, not the Hargreaves/Tabor/Wilson trio like '15, but they're in the upper echelon in CFB.

5) Safeties - Best safety Harris is out for the season with an ACL tear. Washington is experienced but just serviceable. Gardner is talented but he's a CB trying to play safety, his tackling was absolutely atrocious last week. Davis and Stewart are two immensely talented true frosh, Taylor seems to be stepping it up a bit, but they don't seem to be ready for prime time yet.

In summary, this ain't the Florida D of old, a ton of true freshmen at key positions. These freshmen can improve fast though, and they're very talented, so it's hard to predict what you'll see out of them. DC Shannon has done a pretty good job thus far simplifying the defense for them, with vanilla 4-man rush relying on the DEs predominantly, but even a little wrinkle in the opponent's offensive plays have confused the crap out of them at times resulting in big plays.

1) The DEs are the bright spot, they're the most talented and experienced group by far, and compares favorably even with the best DE groups that UF has had.

2) The DT group has exactly 1 experienced difference maker in Taven Bryan. The other starter Clark probably shouldn't be starting in the SEC. Behind them are 3 true freshmen and 1 RS freshman who's like 270 lbs. While Bryan is very good, the group is the worst in recent memory

3) The LB group has 2 sophs and 1 RS frosh starting. The most experienced of the group, a RS soph who's the only returning starter, has been injured. The best remaining, MLB Reese, is pretty good, but he's undersized and a bit slow, not your typical Florida LB. WLB Joseph is pretty raw still, and SLB Moon is an athletic freak but even more raw. Top back-up is a walk-on, two promising freshmen are suspended indefinitely. Probably the worst group in a very long time as well.

4) CBs - Duke Dawson is as good as any that's come through Florida, and that's saying a lot. True frosh Wilson is a star already, probably better than his older brother Quincy Wilson at the same stage, but he's still a true frosh. True frosh Henderson is the 3rd guy, he's had 2 pick-6's already but he's not as good as the stats would have you believe. Overall a pretty solid group, not the Hargreaves/Tabor/Wilson trio like '15, but they're in the upper echelon in CFB.

5) Safeties - Best safety Harris is out for the season with an ACL tear. Washington is experienced but just serviceable. Gardner is talented but he's a CB trying to play safety, his tackling was absolutely atrocious last week. Davis and Stewart are two immensely talented true frosh, Taylor seems to be stepping it up a bit, but they don't seem to be ready for prime time yet.

In summary, this ain't the Florida D of old, a ton of true freshmen at key positions. These freshmen can improve fast though, and they're very talented, so it's hard to predict what you'll see out of them. DC Shannon has done a pretty good job thus far simplifying the defense for them, with vanilla 4-man rush relying on the DEs predominantly, but even a little wrinkle in the opponent's offensive plays have confused the crap out of them at times resulting in big plays.
Florida's defense is average.
No reason we don't put up at least 50 against them.

Good run down. Appreciate the in depth description.

Without some of their best offensive weapons to extend drives, and our own defense, they will be on the field quite a lot. Will they have the legs in the 4th?

Reactions: KWilt43atbuzz
We have definitely dropped off some on defense. We still have some DEs that can really get after the QB but we are not as stout against the run as most years and our secondary is young and gets confused sometimes. We are still creating a lot of turnovers however.

If the strength of the D is on the edge, I expect to see plenty of delayed hand off and the currently maligned wildcat package.

Their run defense is their big issue. I thought I read it was 13th in the SEC. Certainly not a typical flor defense

I think kicking and defensive consistency will win it for us. I think our defense is finding their identity (tough on the run and eventually not giving up big plays). Couple of lucky throws, and broken tackles by Snell and we win a low scoring game. 16-14 Cats

That is undoubtedly the most honest and realistic assessment I've seen this week. I've followed Florida closely this off season and watched both games. This take is spot on. The only thing I can add is that Chauncey Gardner probably started the Tennessee game with an ankle injury. He will play this Saturday, but I wonder if he's actually 100%.

ADVERTISEMENT