ADVERTISEMENT

How Good is Mitchell?

kentuckykowboy8

Blue Chip Prospect
Mar 29, 2009
Ft Worth, TX
I'm thrilled to death we are getting Mitchell. He seems exactly what we need - a strong, experienced big. My question is, how good is he really? I know we are all jumping for joy, but is this really the missing piece? Where would he land in the transfer rankings? His numbers weren't overly impressive last season. They were worse than Toppin's numbers and barely better than Keion Brooks. If you added Brooks or Toppin to the team instead of Mitchell, I don't think anybody is getting excited.

I really want to believe in this team and get excited again. I'm just so worried I'm setting myself up for disappointment.

I'm thrilled to death we are getting Mitchell. He seems exactly what we need - a strong, experienced big. My question is, how good is he really? I know we are all jumping for joy, but is this really the missing piece? Where would he land in the transfer rankings? His numbers weren't overly impressive last season. They were worse than Toppin's numbers and barely better than Keion Brooks. If you added Brooks or Toppin to the team instead of Mitchell, I don't think anybody is getting excited.

I really want to believe in this team and get excited again. I'm just so worried I'm setting myself up for disappointment.
If you’re “worried” about a basketball team, then you need to get more involved in other things in life.

The missing piece is a good center. Mitchell is good, as long as he's not trying to shoot 3s. He's 34%. But can make a jumper. He'll be a good fill in. Nothing special about his game. Has experience played in the big 12. Cal will make him a little better tho. He's a nice pickup.

Reactions: IrishMike409

The difference is role and expectation.

Toppin would be much better on this team than last year's because we wouldn't need to depend on him the same.

Last year, we needed Toppin to play like he was our 2nd best player if we wanted to have a shot to win.

Mitchell can routinely be our 5th or 6th best player and we'd be in great shape.

He brings such valuable experience, can stretch the floor from 3, and is a double digit scorer in the Big 12.

He brings experience and depth, will know his role and play it well, and a double-digit scorer from the Big 12 is a pretty great piece to have as your 5th or 6th best player.

Last edited:

Toppin good. I think people are just glad we landed someone with some experience

He's a tough player who can stretch the defense a little. Decent stroke from three (good balance) for a 6-9 player who can play down on the box.
Good footwork, agile can finish with both hands on the block. Knows how to use his body to get a shot off against bigger players. Can finish in transition well.

Seems to me his addition is like a round peg in a round hole type situation.

If you’re “worried” about a basketball team, then you need to get more involved in other things in life.
While I don’t entirely disagree with your statement, I also realize that it isn’t the type of attitude that built UK basketball into a powerhouse. A bunch of people just sort of half-assed caring about a thing will never make it great. There has to be a lot of people with resources that really care in order for greatness to happen.

While I don’t entirely disagree with your statement, I also realize that it isn’t the type of attitude that built UK basketball into a powerhouse. A bunch of people just sort of half-assed caring about a thing will never make it great. There has to be a lot of people with resources that really care in order for greatness to happen.
Everyone that follows UK in anything cares. It’s shown by taking the time to watch them, cheer them, buy the clothes, stickers, hats, ect.. It’s shown by posting and reading on fan boards, Twitter, and other social media when stories pop up. There is nothing to be ashamed about following your favorite team. Sports is like a hobby that many people enjoy. It helps friends get together, and family to watch games.

The only rankings that I saw had him as the 27th ranked transfer. I mean I do not think he's a world shaker but I think it would be hard to find 26 better transfers then him. I figured he was like at least top 20 material with what I have seen in the transfer portal.

It has been a long transfer portal it's almost July I might be forgetting guys but I would look at Mitchell as maybe the 12th best transfer. Ballpark. For sure not top 10 but definitely not out of the top 20 like Yahoo whoever had.

Reactions: Catzman
The missing piece is a good center. Mitchell is good, as long as he's not trying to shoot 3s. He's 34%. But can make a jumper. He'll be a good fill in. Nothing special about his game. Has experience played in the big 12. Cal will make him a little better tho. He's a nice pickup.
There's a very good chance he could be our best 3 point shooter, sadly. The guy is right there with what Reeves does and in some big game situations we've seen Reeves stink it up so I wouldn't exactly count this guy out as far as shooting com po are to what we have. He has a better percentage than our backcourt that's coming in, that's for sure. I mean Reed might be better but might not play.

All I'm saying is this guy could be one of our top 2 best outside shooters if he even gets the opportunity.

WTF??? DUDE WHY ARE YOU HERE THEN? It's a f**king message board about Kentucky basketball this is where we go to vent, worry, praise, bitch and all that other jazz. If you're a Kentucky fan you live and die this shit. You might be in the wrong place.

This place is passion, craziness, door watching madness. If that ain't your bag you might be in the wrong place.

If we get a solid, starter-quality role player I'm happy. We need to have 2 or 3 freshmen play at an elite level with ~4 other guys being solid, steady contributors. Mitchell and Reeves I think we can count on in the latter group.

Had some big games but, as said, is a Toppin, Brooks level, but does bring needed experience. I think the excitement is that after waiting all spring we were finally able to add an experienced player, ....finally.

Last edited:
Reactions: StevieJFTW07
He's the perfect fit. He is the hero we need. Other guys may put up better numbers. Mitchell is the big that gives us the highest ceiling.

He can step out and shoot it. He looks quite adept at shooting that 20 foot shot. He shot 36% from 3. He shot 37.5% from 3 2 years ago. He isn't a guy we're going to throw on the block under the basket that clogs the lane. With he and Bradshaw as our front court--DJ, Dillingham, Edwards are going to have space to create.

He's experienced. He knows how to play college basketball at a high level. He had a lot of success against the Big 12--a really good basketball conference. He scored 20 against Kansas. He had 14 points and 15 rebounds against Baylor. He had 16 points and 13 rebounds in a game vs K State. We need guys that already know how to produce vs high level competition.

He's a guy that you don't have to run the offense through. With all of our other talented guys--you want a really good player that can be the 5th man. Oscar wasn't coming back to be a cog. Dickinson wasn't coming to be a cog. Mitchell is that guy. He does a lot of his work playing off the ball.

On highlights where he never misses, he’s amazing.

A quick check of box scores shows he sometimes scores ZERO points, and occasionally scores just 2, 3, and 4 points in a game. Only averaged 5.5 rebounds while playing over 30mpg.

On highlights where he never misses, he’s amazing.

A quick check of box scores shows he sometimes scores ZERO points, and occasionally scores just 2, 3, and 4 points in a game. Only averaged 5.5 rebounds while playing over 30mpg.
A quick check of box scores shows he sometimes drops 20 vs Kansas.

You always act like a players few bad games defines them. It doesn't.

Even if he's not scoring a ton in a given game, he will stretch the defense and open things up for the guards to work.

Very Glad we got Mitchell. There's a lot to like. and things to worry about...

THINGS TO LIKE: Big body 6'9." Ain't no kid, Experience of being double digit scorer at three DI schools. Has rebounded well against the best teams. Versatile, can hit from inside and out, descent 3 point percentage for big man. Seems to pass well and has good hands. Has a driving handle.

THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT: his highlight reel shows him making circus driving shots, kind of like Toppin was prone to try. His shooting percentage last year was 48 percent, not great for a big man, factor in the dunks and it says some of those circus shots and stretch the floor shots clanged. I'm afraid, like Toppin, we will always want him to bang and rebound more with consistency and be more selective with his shot.

Reactions: Fawrules
I think Mitchell knows his role and limitations. He has a higher basketball IQ than Toppin or Brooks. I also think he'll be a more reliable shooter bc his shot mechanics are repeatable.
Tre actually played with Toppin in high school and had better numbers. He also seems like he's more invested in team success. Say what u want but Jacob wanted to get his or he wasn't happy.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
There's a very good chance he could be our best 3 point shooter, sadly. The guy is right there with what Reeves does and in some big game situations we've seen Reeves stink it up so I wouldn't exactly count this guy out as far as shooting com po are to what we have. He has a better percentage than our backcourt that's coming in, that's for sure. I mean Reed might be better but might not play.

All I'm saying is this guy could be one of our top 2 best outside shooters if he even gets the opportunity.
The more I think about it, I think he has a lot of similarities to PJ Washington's game. Little taller but without as long of arms. For so long ive been saying I wish we had a PJ going into this season and he might fill the bill. Pj's aggressive nature was that of a cage fighter which is rare, but the ability to rebound, hit an open jumper but go inside is the ideal 4 and this guy really fits the bill. I'm more hyped myself after seeing the video I posted.

Lol, now a better than 35% 3pt. Shooter is not good ? Little hint, anything 1/3 or better is considered good. And it's not like he takes a high volume of 3s per game. 1 make per game. Just enough to stretch the defense. His strength is mid range jumper and getting mismatches. He is a very good passer and knows where the ball needs to be. Where he gets in trouble is trying to do too much, driving, dribbling thru traffic and turning it over. Cal and staff will address that. He only averaged 5.5 reb. Per game, but he is not a under the basket player. His offensive numbers are very good, %s say they are. If he shot more, he would average more, the %s say they would.

If Bradshaw winds up being a..."situation " let's say..then he's about as important as important could be.

Decent 3PT% but does not take a lot of threes. He attempts 2-3 of them a game and averages just a bit over 1 made 3 per game. He will provide size, depth, and will be able to stretch the floor despite not taking many 3's. Defense will respect his presence beyond the arc but I would not expect him to light it up or anything.

When he was at UMASS and a more primary option he had games with huge offensive numbers. Had two 37 point games and 5 games over 30 total over his time at UMASS against inferior competition. Still put up respectable numbers at Texas and WVU but not to the same degree.

I am thinking he will be a 13 and 7 type player with the occasional big-time offensive game of 20 points or more. Solid option but not your primary threat or option on offense. He is sort of exactly what we needed, but don't expect him to be a superstar. He fits on the team incredibly well though.

I thought I read where he is the 27th ranked transfer

That extended clip over on KSR showed more than his successes. He reminded me more of Nate Sestina. (A comparison I read over here by someone. And I agree.) He's big and strong and a decent 3pt shooter. He sets picks willingly and well. I think his footwork is better than Sestina's. He won't make anyone forget Oscar as a rebounder, but that clip was 2 seasons ago and he may have improved.

Reactions: ganner918
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT