ADVERTISEMENT

How good do you believe UK will be next year?

If the Oline isn't two years better than last year the Cats will be struggling for 7-5. We may have a great incoming quarterback, but if he gets five or six sacks a game he could be on the sideline REAL quick.
That is definitely the biggest worry for next year for sure. Especially since Leary has had some injury issues. One bad hit and who knows what happens. O line has got to be better. Period.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
If the Oline isn't two years better than last year the Cats will be struggling for 7-5. We may have a great incoming quarterback, but if he gets five or six sacks a game he could be on the sideline REAL quick.
Can someone who knows more explain to me how much better they think the O line will be? Sounds like adding Cox is big. Bowles doesn’t sound like much of a game changer. Do we think adding Cox plus having another year in the system will bring big improvement? Medium improvement? My guess is we see some improvement but it’s still one of our weaker units.

That’s the thing….regardless of what our team ends up being we normally lose at MSU and to UT. Plus we always have 1 just out and out clunker. So it’s hard for me to take those normalcies and add UGA and Bama in there and think there’s a shot at 9 regardless and especially with the Oline concerns.
I'm not as afraid of MSU, I think the loss of Leach is going to impact them quite a bit this year. What's their offense going to look like without Leach calling the plays? I think we finally get off the crapper and win one down there.

Can someone who knows more explain to me how much better they think the O line will be? Sounds like adding Cox is big. Bowles doesn’t sound like much of a game changer. Do we think adding Cox plus having another year in the system will bring big improvement? Medium improvement? My guess is we see some improvement but it’s still one of our weaker units.
There should be some of the younger linemen on the roster starting to make a move. i.e. Nick Hall.

Reactions: catben

I think fans are optimistic (and understandably so) b/c during his stint in 2021, Coen adapted the offensive playcalling/blocking scheme once the season started and he saw the strengths/weaknesses of the team.

In 2022, OC Steve Zahn did not appear to do that but continued trying to shove a round peg in a square hole.

So, in 2023, Coen has a chance to show fans if he was able to do that b/c he had a great OL in 2021 or b/c he can really adjust to his strengths/weaknesses

Reactions: gobigbluebell
My personal expectation is that we will see significant improvement on the Oline. For me, the fate of our season will ride in large measure on how well and how quickly Leary performs and how capably we manage to compensate for the loss of C-Rod.

It is good to have Coen back, and I see Boulware fixing STs. There are variables that just cannot be foreseen. Every August, every P5 coach faces strengths and problems going into the season in September. When a team stays healthy and deals with its problems, the team usually has a good season. If Leary stays healthy and the offensive line does its job, I could see 9-3 or better. If the offensive line is not improved, I see 7-5 or maybe 8-4. If Leary gets hurt, we could be screwed.

-here's what I know: we should be very good on defense. Vet qb w/very talented wrs/ and solid tight ends. RB room looks really good on paper. Need the OL to do better*.

*I'm of the belief that scheme had a lot to do with the perception of OL play last year. Leary should be better at reading defenses than Levis...and Coen is a game changer.

-tough schedule...but no one on that schedule is looking past the gridiron cats. And that my friends is a welcome state of being for those of us that have been around for a while. Our cats are legit.
Your last point is something that the younger folks may not appreciate as much as us long timers and long sufferers. One thing Stoops and Co have changed completely is that we have the full attention of everybody we play and as a fan I feel confident we can compete and have a chance every time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT