ADVERTISEMENT

How does John Calipari handle recruits and/or families who ask for money or other benefits?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
This doesn't surprise me at all. Personally I believe that John Calipari is one of the cleanest coaches in college basketball. When Billy Gillispie was being fired some UK fans didn't want Cal because they thought he was dirty. I always said based on what? The Marcus Camby stuff at UMASS involved an agent messing with Camby during his jr. year. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what Cal had to gain from this. It wasn't like Calipari & UMASS gained some kind of a recruiting advantage from this. Camby was already enrolled at UMASS. It was a case of nothing to gain & everything to lose. Then the Derrick Rose stuff at Memphis. Rose and any wrong doings with his SAT's took place at Rose's high school in Chicago. How did Cal have any influence over that. And besides the NCAA ruled Rose eligible to play. And since Calipari has been here. No coach has been under the microscope like Cal has from hatemongers in the media like Pete Thamel, Pat Forde, Jeff Goodman, ect... YET NOTHING. I mean if Calipari spit on the sidewalk it would be on the front page of the New York Times. YET NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

https://www.nationofblue.com/how-do...e-recruits-who-make-sketchy-requests-we-walk/

zGHQb4O.gif

He steps back obviously. Go back and look at all these kids proven to have taken shit. We were on them all at one time, but backed off for some odd reason. So Intake that as, Cal knows he can't play the game here and doesn't need too

Make no mistake. They want Cal more than anything. If we were involved it would've been front page news yesterday. He walks

Reactions: awf
These threads are proof that fans - like partisan politicos - can be amazingly delusional.

Newsflash - players offered 100k to attend another school don’t go and play for free at Kentucky.

How naive can you be?

These threads are proof that fans - like partisan politicos - can be amazingly delusional.

Newsflash - players offered 100k to attend another school don’t go and play for free at Kentucky.

How naive can you be?

Guess what? Every player that we know of on the take chose NOT to go to Kentucky. As a UK fan I can tell you I've pulled my hair out over Cal refusing to recruit certain players, and we never knew why. Now we know why...

Isn't it funny. All of you "other fans" were made to believe Cal was the crook and the rest were just trying to save the world from him. Turns out the media LIED to you again. Cal is not of the establishment, they dont like him. But the FBI turned the tables on the elites.

Go away until you know what the hell you're talking about.

How naive can you be?

Big difference between kids being offered money and those that solicit money. Every top 50 kid is getting offered money. I’m certain the 5 star kids we get have been offered money by different schools, but they choose to come here because the Kentucky brand is worth a lot more than $100K.

How naive can you be?

The ones that are short-sighted don't. But, I can see Cal say, Look son, what is $125K when I can raise your draft position by 7 or 8 spots and make you another $1.5 million?

Reactions: Ky grandpa and awf

How naive can you be?
You know if Cal was cheating, he would have been caught?

Reactions: Ky grandpa
While I agree that Cal doesn't play dirty like some or a lot of coaches do, I'm not naive enough to believe that these kids aren't getting paid by someone somewhere. I'm sure they get certain benefits for their families by prospective business partners down the road. And I'm sure UK has no part or knowledge of it. And honestly, I could care less. This is America. I don't see why any student athlete should not be allowed to use their marketability to make money. Non student athletes can. However, I'd have a stipulation that says that after earning a certain amount, they have to pay back their scholarship. To me, there's a big difference in paying someone to attend a certain School and paying money to someone to do business with you down the road. If the NCAA would allow these kids to earn money off their image (just like the hypocrites themselves do), I don't think there would be the cheating we see coming to light now. But I'm so glad we've had Cal guiding our program these past 10 years.

I think there have been some for purchase players that actually wanted to go to UK but UK never made an offer. No player asking for money is going to a school for free, if the player was asking the school that got him paid the price.

Reactions: EastKYWildcat
I think Cal went through hell twice with Camby and Rose and vowed never again. I’m sure he promised UK no problems. He and UK have a lot more to offer recruits than money. I read where he told John Wall and his mom to hang in one more year and not take money and they would be set in the NBA. Mom said another year wasn’t going to make a big difference and then John would not beholding to anyone. Worked out just like Cal said. Street cred.

Reactions: JC43
Players/families/handlers that are asking for money are stupid and will get you caught. If you are good enough the money will find you and if you are smart and can keep your mouth shut, people may suspect but never actually know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT