How does everyone see the matchups v UCLA?

Discussion in 'Rupp Rafters - Basketball Forum' started by CATSrock, Mar 20, 2017.

1. CATSrock

CATSrock Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I know they have a 3 guard lineup and two 4's that gave us fits last time. How do you see the matchups playing out?

2. JerseyCat84

JerseyCat84 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Who guards Welsh and Leaf is my question

3. drainthatub

drainthatub Junior
    Expand Collapse

Willis and Bam mainly. All we gotta do is force tough shots and rebound (everybody) and the rest will work itself out imo.

midniter, Jbapp1978, Cats192 and 2 others like this.
  4. MWes11

MWes11 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Would start Bam on Leaf and Willis on Welsh. Welsh doesn't really have a back to the basket, kill you in the post kind of game. He likes to float around 12-15 feet and look for his baseline jumper. Bam is athletic enough to guard Leaf.

That being said, it all starts with cutting off the head of the snake. If Fox can limit Ball, it will help out tremendously. Rebounding the ball will be huge. Limit them to one shot.

4 MWes11, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. awf

awf Senior
    Expand Collapse

I am thinking like the pundits....Willis is the important cog in the UCLA game. UK is playing better defense.

StevieJFTW07 likes this.
  6. JerseyCat84

JerseyCat84 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Welsh loves to pump fake. I hope we don't go for that shit.

7. JerseyCat84

JerseyCat84 All-American
    Expand Collapse

One thing is for sure....we better not see the Fox and 4 bench players lineup or we're going to get smoked.

St.PatterSoN-54- and Jbapp1978 like this.
  8. BBNinSC

Expand Collapse

Let them worry about who covers all the Wildcat players.

9. railroadkat_1

railroadkat_1 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I have to disagree about Bam on Leaf. We didn't have success guarding Leaf in Lexington because we continuously let him run the base line unopposed. To quick for Bam.....really. My best guess is Fox on Ball and Monk on Allfred and I'll let coach finish the rest of the D. Malik you need to get your stroke back, like now!

10. WonderBraa

WonderBraa Junior
    Expand Collapse

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous.

Buuut...they shot lights out last time. That Welsch kid always gets us. I'm expecting a close game.

St.PatterSoN-54- and Jbapp1978 like this.
  11. MWes11

MWes11 Senior
    Expand Collapse

If Leaf is too quick for Bam, what do you think he will do to Willis? Bam's defense has been phenomenal towards the end of the season. While I hate when we switch him on guards instead of our guards fighting over ball screens and him hedging, he has held his own staying in front of quicker players.

12. Johnfarrel

Johnfarrel Junior
    Expand Collapse

I believe Hawkins will get more playing than in the previous game with UCLA. Not much defense was played in that game by either side. We need to slow down their scoring.

StevieJFTW07, Big_Blue79 and MWes11 like this.
  13. GLR5555

GLR5555 Junior
    Expand Collapse

Show em some zone and mix it up often.

StevieJFTW07 and FiveStarBBN like this.
  14. Sparkaces1

Sparkaces1 Blue Chip Prospect
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, if we Bam can't hang with him we are up a creek without a paddle lol. I really believe Leaf surprised Cal and the Cats in the first matchup. We will be ready the second time around.

15. Huma1894

Huma1894 Junior
    Expand Collapse

No worries about this game. UK will shut them down and show that the mighty UCLA offense isn't all it's cracked up to be. I look for Monk to play inspired and Fox to shut down Ball and shut up his loud-mouthed father. Bam will have a big day. Hawkins and Briscoe will check Alford

StevieJFTW07 and Atrain7732 like this.
  16. kyjeff1

kyjeff1 All-SEC
    Expand Collapse

I don't think we are going to shut Leaf down, but we are going to have to limit his touches as much as possible by smothering the guards, particularly Ball.
    They are going to spread us out and open the middle up, but we really need to do our best to shut their outside shooting down, if we allow them to go off from 3 point range than say goodnight.
    Shut the outside down and contain Leaf and Welsh with Willis, WG and Bam.
    But they have to guard us and it wouldn't hurt if Monk went off.

railroadkat_1 likes this.
  17. Atrain7732

Atrain7732 Blue Chip Prospect
    Expand Collapse

Leaf destroyed UK last game. Cal will not allow that to happen again.

I think that the UK offense becomes the most important piece of the puzzle. Do we get back on track, or do we continue struggling in certain aspects--Monk shooting, spacing, offensive flow. UK cannot afford to not be on their A-Game offensively against UCLA.

FTR, I think this is the game where UK gets their offensive mojo back. Add in that the defensive mojo is already in place, and we are in a good position if that does happen. Fingers crossed.

StevieJFTW07 likes this.
  18. king of cali

king of cali Senior
    Expand Collapse

Lol at shutting UCLA down. That's just not gonna happen. The more I think about I believe the way to go may be to let Ball get his, but clamp down on everyone us. Ball can get his 20-25, but UCLA is at their best when he is setting everyone else up.

StevieJFTW07 likes this.
  19. L Butler

L Butler Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

UCLA will not beat Ky three times in a row. I don't think it's ever happened while Cal has been at U.K. Take Kentucky and the spread. Safe money.
    (Never mind I'm a idiot)

19 L Butler, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  20. railroadkat_1

railroadkat_1 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Your opinion my opinion we are trying to visualize the game and that is fun! Afraid Bam would get in foul
    trouble fast! I'll opt to game time to see.

MWes11 likes this.
  21. UKWildcats#8

UKWildcats#8 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Might want to guard the goofy big white guy this time. He killed us last time.

StevieJFTW07 likes this.
  22. UKcatXXXL

UKcatXXXL Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

The way Bam has been playing if we give it to him constantly they won't be able to stop him and then it'll all fall into place everywhere else

StevieJFTW07 likes this.
  23. Jbapp1978

Jbapp1978 Blue Chip Prospect
    Expand Collapse

I'm really hoping with our defense better, they also have a bad shooting night.

24. Jbapp1978

Jbapp1978 Blue Chip Prospect
    Expand Collapse

One thing that likely WILL hurt us is it's at 9:30 eastern time, so when it gets later on, 11:30, 12:00 at night, it will only be like ,8:30, 9:00 to them. Unless they have adjusted time zones.

25. UKBrassowTipIN

UKBrassowTipIN All-SEC
    Expand Collapse

Watched parts of the first game again. Our defense was really struggling then...way too many easy baskets on poor communication. If they d up the way they did Sunday they should be okay. I look for them to use screens, pick and roll on Willis..hes the weakest link in the defense. However, he did a good job last game.

26. Big Foot 275

Big Foot 275 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Leaf is the one I am concerned about.
    I think he is their best player by far.
    Cal Better have a plan to stop him or the Cats are in for a long night.

27. arenk

arenk Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I believe we lost to Florida both home and away in 2014, and again in the SECT final when Young slipped and fell on that final play. We went all the way to the NCAA finals that year.

28. GOING FOR #9

GOING FOR #9 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Florida in 2014 and uconn Maui, ff, national final. someone mentioned it on another thread

StevieJFTW07 likes this.
  29. UKWildcats#8

UKWildcats#8 All-American
    Expand Collapse

Amazing how people forget this. We better watch out or UCLA and KU could hand us 3 game losing streaks in the series...here's hoping we get a shot to end KU's 2 game winning streak in 12 days.

30. BigBlueManSouthCentralKY

Expand Collapse

They have 5 extremely good offensive players and a backup center that is ready to bust Bam's head. Being as we struggle stopping drives and guarding the 3, Monk will probably need to score 40, Fox 30 and Willis on fire at times for us to have a decent chance. Maybe a LITTLE pessimistic, but that is the way I see it.

Would it be better to play stall ball so they don't get in as many offensive rythems? Or, play so physical they possibly get frustrated? Trying to out score them with the way we are playing now does not seem realistic. Their 5 offensive juggarnauts seem much more consistent than our 3 or 4 good offensive players.

Thought it was interesting Cal at first saying he watched the tape with them and we played terrible boxing out and rebounding but then later talked about how hard it is going to be to beat them. They always play at a very high intensity and we play that way when we feel like it. Maybe it all comes together this game because it will take 40 minutes of high intensity, low turnovers (they hardly ever turn it over) and the best defense we can possibly play.

31. STEVECAT

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

UCLA will not be as balanced on offense as they were in the first meeting. Holiday and Hamilton won't kill us as bad. Fox shows on a big stage he is just as good if not better than Ball, Monk has a normal 20+ point game. UK by 7

StevieJFTW07 likes this.
  32. cats2010

cats2010 Junior
    Expand Collapse

Briscoe was 0-5 from three in December against them. He cannot shoot that many threes again. I'd be just fine if he didn't take 1. Finally hit one last game after a long drought but can't have him shooting those, it's basically a wasted possession, same as turnover.

BurpinTurpin and StevieJFTW07 like this.
  33. Mash 2.4

Mash 2.4 Blue Chip Prospect
    Expand Collapse

Hawkins is gonna have to play a bunch or Ball will kill us.

StevieJFTW07 likes this.
  34. Robcatt24

Robcatt24 All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Ultimately, UK will have no answer for Ball.

He is transcendent. Ethereal. Just being on the same floor with him seems to terrify his opponents.

His gaze. His gaze is piercing.

He is a force that cannot be reckoned with.

BurpinTurpin and StevieJFTW07 like this.
  35. Longtrip

Expand Collapse

I hope Gabriel plays defense and passes the ball; he cannot be allowed to jack up a bunch of jumpers trying to shoot his way out of his terrible slump.

36. railroadkat_1

railroadkat_1 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Not much to disagree about here. This could be the game that very well pumps some life into us. We must not turn the ball over by rushing a long impossible pass over and over. I would like to see 3 ref's that will let us play. If they have the whistle fever may it be consistent on both ends. Go Cats

37. southalcat

Expand Collapse

The elephant in the room is Monk. As to his recent shooting slump- something that I think has been overlooked and could be very important, is that bruised tailbone he recently suffered. Have any of you had this happen to you? It happened to me due to an unfortunate incident 25 years ago in Elkhorn Creek, where I either bruised or broke it, I don't know, didn't have health insurance at the time. I could barely move. No matter what I did, it would hurt and the pain would radiate down my legs and up my back, for at least a couple of weeks. This HAS to have affected his movement, his shot, and his confidence. I feel really great about this extended break between games because he's got more time to recover from that.

38. jackcarlson

jackcarlson Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

remember that, as badly as our guys played last time, UK STILL could have won the game!!

39. mktmaker

mktmaker Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

This could be more of a factor than many realize.

Jbapp1978 likes this.
  40. sefus12

sefus12 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Five offensive juggernauts? You act like these guys are the best college basketball team of all-time and we have to play our A+++ game to beat them, and that's if they are having an off-day. I don't think they are quite as good as you are saying, nor are we quite as ill-equipped to win.