ADVERTISEMENT

HOW does Cal DESTROY the confidence of good shooters when they come here????

It is MIND BOGGLING how kids come here and LOSE their shooting eye!!!

WHEN will call EVER learn that MAKING BASKETS is the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of modern basketball??!!!!!

Does ANYONE have an answer for WHY our so called "GREAT 3 pt shooters" can't CONSISTENTLY make shots??!!!
Believe it or not, CJ is the first guard that has transferred in and been worse here than his previous school.

Grady had his best 3pt % season here.
Mintz had his best 3pt % season here.
Reeves is having his best 3pt % season here

Reeves was 0-3 from 3 also. So our BEST 2 3 pt shooters went 0-8 today!!!

That is on Cal. WHY are our best shooters MISSING SOOOOOO MANY SHOTS??!!!!

KU's kids MADE them when they NEEDED them and their BEST player CARRIED them. It's WHY we haven't won many big games since 2020.

Why I ask is because MOST of the kids that are supposed to be scorers STRUGGLE while they are here and THRIVE in the NBA.

Everyone destroys Booker and Herro over it too. Couldn't have been Cal's coaching.

WHEN will call EVER learn that MAKING BASKETS is the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of modern basketball??!!!!!

Does ANYONE have an answer for WHY our so called "GREAT 3 pt shooters" can't CONSISTENTLY make shots??!!!
What kids have come here and lost their shot, other than CJ?

How are some of you so dumb? No one on no team “consistently makes shots”. No 40% 3pt shooter makes 50% every game, or even makes 30-50% every game. In fact they were talking during the game about how bad Dick had shot the last 3 games.
Reeves is close to his 3pt % last year.
Fredrick is definitely lower! And that is a bit perplexing. But maybe it’s harder than we think after not playing a real game for 20 months. But surely he is over that by now.
Who else was Curry-like until Cal coached them?

rXzI6E6.png

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Just remember this statement...."Roll the ball out there and play"

Coach is quite the gambler if he thinks he can just roll the ball out there.

I don’t know about all the shooters, but I know with Tyler Hero, he was lighting it up early and Cal thought he wasn’t releasing quick enough, so they worked with him to have a quicker release to help him more at the next level. It was brick city at UK after that for most of the last half of the season
This, this right here. One of the things Cal does is he coaches these guys on the ability to get their shots of quicker, because that's a necessary thing at the next level.

You hit the nail on the head. That came out back why Herro was here.

Now, I don't know if Cal does that with all guards when they come here, but damn, something is off. Too many good shooters have come here and struggled to make shots.

If I'm CJ, I grab a ball boy and get in the gym and fix my shot. Go back to what worked before, because his shots aren't even close right now.

Reactions: catben

Yes, some bally-hooed shooters come here and struggle, but most that can shoot, actually shoot well here, as expected.

Not everything is Cal’s fault. CJ just doesn’t seem to be built for this. He plays scared. Now if you want to blame cal for bringing him here then I may get with that. But this dude is your token wide open white guy and he just can’t hit anything in big games. He’s been given lots of rope.

So cal ruined cj…..but not reeves? He ruined CJ……but not grady? He ruined CJ……but not mintz? Come on now.

This, this right here. One of the things Cal does is he coaches these guys on the ability to get their shots of quicker, because that's a necessary thing at the next level.

You hit the nail on the head. That came out back why Herro was here.

Now, I don't know if Cal does that with all guards when they come here, but damn, something is off. Too many good shooters have come here and struggled to make shots.

If I'm CJ, I grab a ball boy and get in the gym and fix my shot. Go back to what worked before, because his shots aren't even close right now.
Your last paragraph is the one. That’s what needs to happen. As for the coaches breaking his shot form, we don’t know that. Pure speculation. If cj comes out and says they changed his shooting form then yeah I may be inclined to agree. But we don’t know that this is even true

Reactions: westerncat
Believe it or not, CJ is the first guard that has transferred in and been worse here than his previous school.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE ^^^ !!!

Here are two (2) more players who shot better here, also:

Not everything is Cal’s fault. CJ just doesn’t seem to be built for this. He plays scared. Now if you want to blame cal for bringing him here then I may get with that. But this dude is your token wide open white guy and he just can’t hit anything in big games. He’s been given lots of rope.

So cal ruined cj…..but not reeves? He ruined CJ……but not grady? He ruined CJ……but not mintz? Come on now.
You could be right. Maybe CJ just isn’t built for this.

I said it in the game thread, our problems are on the offensive end and more specifically, our outside shooting.

Our defense feeds off our offense, if our offense struggles, so does our defense.

Good offense will beat good defense more times than not.

Is it fixable? It should be, but we need Calipari to recognize what the actual problem is. He still thinks it's defensive and all he wants to do offensively is force feed a double covered Oscar and that causes multiple turnovers a game.

He needs to start dedicating some practices to strictly outside shooting and get that fixed. Effective outside shooting will fix a lot of our problems.

Basketball is a game of concentration and confidence and Cal seems to take away both with his constant yelling and directing during the game. I don't know what he is saying but it appears he is constantly yelling about where to pass the ball, shoot the ball, or where to go on the floor for a designated play. So as a player, how can you concentrate on the game , develop confidence in your play with a coach who constantly is giving instructions on what to do and will take you out of the game for often the simplest mistake?

Basketball is a game of concentration and confidence and Cal seems to take away both with his constant yelling and directing during the game. I don't know what he is saying but it appears he is constantly yelling about where to pass the ball, shoot the ball, or where to go on the floor for a designated play. So as a player, how can you concentrate on the game , develop confidence in your play with a coach who constantly is giving instructions on what to do and will take you out of the game for often the simplest mistake?
What more confidence can you give a player than to tell him to keep shooting the ball, when he is 1-8.
Nothing builds confidence like seeing the ball go through the net.
I think the best way to find your touch in a game is to get to the free throw line.
CJ needs to get to the line, hit free throws and see the ball go through the rim to "feel" better about his shot. He simply does not get to the free-throw line enough ... !!

Last edited:
End thread.

Most their attempts are moving away from the basket off a screen semi contested.

When they do finally get a clean look they have no rhythm
We see all the time guys hit contested 3s on us . If you are a shooter even if it’s semi contested you need to hit them .

Way too many excuses being made for Reeves and CJ slumps this year against the big teams . The offense should definitely be better but both of them has missed a lot of wide open looks this year .

Reactions: megablue and catben
We see all the time guys hit contested 3s on us . If you are a shooter even if it’s semi contested you need to hit them .

Way too many excuses being made for Reeves and CJ slumps this year . The offense should definitely be better but both of them has missed a lot of wide open looks this year .
The majority of those contested threes are either off a ball screen or kick outs. Both of those are rhythm shots stepping into/facing the basket. You see 1 here and there but not often where it’s someone running off a screen away from the basket that hits a contested 3 while needing to turn 180 to square up. Marshall Henderson for Ole Miss was the last guy that did that consistently.

The mini stretch of the offense looking better and shooting improving; we were running offense that was producing more looks stepping into the shot or already set.

It takes an elite elite shooter to have the footwork and body control and quick release to hit off screens when they are catching the ball w their back tk the basket

You could be right. Maybe CJ just isn’t built for this.

I said it in the game thread, our problems are on the offensive end and more specifically, our outside shooting.

Our defense feeds off our offense, if our offense struggles, so does our defense.

Good offense will beat good defense more times than not.

Is it fixable? It should be, but we need Calipari to recognize what the actual problem is. He still thinks it's defensive and all he wants to do offensively is force feed a double covered Oscar and that causes multiple turnovers a game.

He needs to start dedicating some practices to strictly outside shooting and get that fixed. Effective outside shooting will fix a lot of our problems.
To me I think it’s just this simple. It’s the Kentucky effect. The spotlight and the expectations. There wasn’t 20k people in the arena at Iowa. Nobody was tweeting about Iowa basketball. This is a different animal and I think he’s struggling with it. As injury prone as he is it’s the fractured confidence that hurts the most. It’s on him to get his head right. I’d like to see him return next year still.

To me I think it’s just this simple. It’s the Kentucky effect. The spotlight and the expectations. There wasn’t 20k people in the arena at Iowa. Nobody was tweeting about Iowa basketball. This is a different animal and I think he’s struggling with it. As injury prone as he is it’s the fractured confidence that hurts the most. It’s on him to get his head right. I’d like to see him return next year still.
Playing at Kentucky is like being called up to hit Major League pitching ... !!

Blaming Cal for how CJ, and Reeves are shooting is like blaming your preacher for people in his congregation Committing sins. CJ hasn’t been consistent shooting 3’s all year, and most of his 3’s has come against bad teams. Reeves show’s up against lessor competition, and disappears against good teams. Wheeler is the main issue, and UK would be a lot better if he played elsewhere like Georgia. Collins is never going to be any better next year than he is this year. Toppin , Oscar, and CJ missed the how to play defense part their how to play basketball 101 glass. Most of the team missed the how to shoot and make free throws 101 class. Cal is to blame for a lot of things, but not everything. Open your eyes, and you’ll realize this group of kids just aren’t that great. BBN and the sports media had expectations for this team they just can’t provide. We have a good team, but not a great team. Yeah, we beat Tennessee, but what about the other good Teams we played? The sooner you realize this team isn’t great the sooner you’ll stop getting upset when we lose.

Last edited:
Reactions: westerncat
We were hitting a lot of wide open shots at Vandy. So what happened in 4 days time? If it's Cal's fault, why dio we have games when we shoot well?
Just a hunch, but it's easier to shoot well when you truly believe your misses will not contribute to losing the game. Therefore, it seems to be more likely that shooters will shoot better against the weaker teams. With Reeves, Wallace and Fredrick in there, 2 of them simply have to have good shooting nights for us to beat good teams, unless the opponent is shooting horrendously.

He does have 7 of the top 10 all time career 3pt % shooters ever at UK in his time here. I remember him also telling Lamb before the title game he was going to have a great night.

I also think I’ve heard him tell guys if you don’t keep shooting he will take them out, I really like that. Don’t be scared to miss a third after 2 misses. Keep launching it because you are indeed a great shooter.

Not gonna blame him on this.

Reactions: megablue and gojvc
I think we would all agree that if the players can’t knock down open shots with some consistency then this team is going nowhere in March.

Why in the hell do you ALWAYS have to be bringing FACTS into threads like THIS?

Reactions: bthaunert

Lol... Cal destroys their confidence? Maybe CJ is simply not good or better yet not as good as you seem to believe he is. Because if he was, he'd make the wide open shots he gets.

But just look at the way Cal DESTROYED Immanuel Quickley’s shooting stroke. Another BRILLIANT analysis by the OP. Definitely SOMETHING going on here.

It's kind of silly. There's obviously a lot of blame for Cal.. but sometimes it is on the players. Reeves might not have his his 3s but he was working that mid range game very nicely. If he's able to be OK in big games (relatively speaking) then it's not the coaches problem.

CJ is still working his way back from a lot of time off and I don't think he's fully found his footing. It's also possible that all this time off set him back premanantly.

Reactions: gojvc
Lol... Cal destroys their confidence? Maybe CJ is simply not good or better yet not as good as you seem to believe he is. Because if he was, he'd make the wide open shots he gets.
Who brought him here and starts him every game now?

He actually shot 48% at Iowa and has gone STONE COLD here.

Cal scares our shooters to death for the last 3 years and in the biggest games going all the way back to the 2010 Elite 8 loss to WVU.

Aaron Harrison and Doron Lamb being the exceptions.

But just look at the way Cal DESTROYED Immanuel Quickley’s shooting stroke. Another BRILLIANT analysis by the OP. Definitely SOMETHING going on here.
What has happened since he left????

Even going back to the Elite 8 WVU game, our shooters struggle in the BIGGEST game of the year.

How many times have we lost in the NCAA Tournament because our best shooters went cold? NUMEROUS times.

Aaron Harrison and Doron Lamb being the exceptions.

Go look it up.

I think part of the problem is Cal’s focus on defense. Concentrating on trying to play defense for a coach that gets more upset about a blown defensive assignment than a missed shot will make you work on defense. If you concentrate too much on one area of the game, other areas will suffer. Defensive focus can take your legs on offense and that affects shooting.

Not saying that is all of it, but I think that is part of it.

ADVERTISEMENT