ADVERTISEMENT

How do you listen to your music ?

FrankUnderwood

All-American
Gold Member
May 26, 2017
Bluegrass State!
sad to say I don't even really have CD's anymore.

I remember cassettes lol. I remember waiting for a certain song on the radio for hours and then quickly pushing "record" on my boom box .

That being said I pretty much stream all my music these days.

I have subscriptions to

Apple Music
Spotify
Pandora Plus (thumbprint radio is super cool)

And I have Amazon prime so I automatically get Amazon music. I use the others more tho.

My fav is Apple Music probably.

iPod when I work out. Never used Spotify, Apple Music, etc. have used Pandora before but the commercials get old and I'm not paying for it.

Download tunes for free online, put on 64 GB iPod. All profit.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
With my ears lol

I did just dig through my CD books the other day, put some old favorites in my ride. The quality is so much better, but I usually just listen to digital tunes. Even though I am not organized, so I don't really have digital libraries and such.

sad to say I don't even really have CD's anymore.

I remember cassettes lol. I remember waiting for a certain song on the radio for hours and then quickly pushing "record" on my boom box .

That being said I pretty much stream all my music these days.

I have subscriptions to

Apple Music
Spotify
Pandora Plus (thumbprint radio is super cool)

And I have Amazon prime so I automatically get Amazon music. I use the others more tho.

My fav is Apple Music probably.

Why have Apple Music and Spotify? I thought they were the same but I definitely could be wrong. Been considering trying one. Right now I just ask for iTunes money at Christmas haha.

Spotify and vinyl. Depends on what type of music and whether or not I'm on the go. Looking into getting a CD player and getting back into that medium. I geek out admittedly, but I don't really snub my nose at what others choose.

This is my upgraded system since I retired and came into some money - and also my system from back in my younger days.

438d360b4f881d21815fc8333858613f--phonograph-zulu.jpg

ef11b69dc6dd26ab39f4d00c469d71cc--phonograph-prints-for-sale.jpg

Spotify/Youtube at work through a $30 pair of Sony headphones.

Ganked torrented MP3s/youtube at home either on my surround sound or the same cheap pair of Sony headphones.

I use Pandora exclusively. I have the Premium so I can replay songs or whatever, but I have a station I have been building for 7 years that has Foo Fighters, AC/DC, Black Keys, 311, Arctic Monkeys, Wolfmother, and Van Halen all added as stations feeding it.

Aside from those bands I get a lot of these bands songs due to likes and whatnot:

Sublime
Tom Petty
Monophonics
Chili Peppers
Metallica
Jack White
Gary Clark Jr.
CCR
My Morning Jacket

It basically plays a bunch of songs I like from all era's of rock and skips over the songs I don't like.

Straight Spotify, either on my laptop or my phone hooked to speakers/headphones.

I'm not sure what more you could want. It gives you almost every song you could conceivably want (unless you are some sort of really niche person) for $10 a month without ads and lets you stream mobile.

Pretty sweet, imo.

I really can't imagine doing it any other way.

Radio in car: Mostly local radio, also have 8 gb of music on USB.

Receiver in living room: Local radio, via my Server-PC using Foobar and with visualizations, streaming and controlling with my phone and an Android media box using BubbleUPNP.

Bedroom: Mostly ambient sleep music using shoutcast, but also USB. Using a Sony Dash hooked up to a mini amp and a pair of MartinLogan speakers.

Bathroom: Almost exclusively Pandora via a Grace Digital music player and Logitech computer speakers.

Reactions: jameslee32
Used to steal/pirate the everything shit out of everything I could. But then I'm maintaining libraries, filling up space, taking time to make sure it's the right album I want..

Finally I said screw it. $10/month for Spotify, I've found 99.8% of all the music I've looked for. It's easy to use, always available, connects to so many devices. It's worth the small monthly fee.

I want to try Tidal, though.. simply because they offer such a better bitrate and is meant for legit stereo systems. Audiophiles won't even sniff Spotify or iTunes, at least if they have a proper stereo.

Pandora, considering premium. I hated it when I first used it because no matter what you started a station with, it started playing pop if you weren't thumbing stuff. I think I have finally stopped the Justin Timberlake onslaught.

Not a fan of the format of Spotify or Slacker.

I used Milk music and had stations perfectly tuned, then Samsung pulled the plug. Still miss it.

Pandora seems to have their cultivated radio down better than Spotify.. Certain radio stations I create on Spotify run their course pretty quick and aren't that great at bringing in more content. They'll play bands A B and C and that's it.. but bands D, E and F, with not much difference ins tyle, should clearly be added.

That said, I can't imagine using Pandora at this point. Spottily is the better pick as you can pick the songs you want to make playlists and such. Pandora is such a limited product at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Used to steal/pirate the everything shit out of everything I could. But then I'm maintaining libraries, filling up space, taking time to make sure it's the right album I want..
Good point. I ripped all my CD's a couple years back to 320kbps mp3. I'm about to fill up my 2 TB hard drive (not just music, but movies, photos, docs, etc), so I'm in the market for at least a 4TB hard drive to replace it with. Every 6 months to a year I back it all up on an external HDD>

Straight Spotify, either on my laptop or my phone hooked to speakers/headphones.

I'm not sure what more you could want. It gives you almost every song you could conceivably want (unless you are some sort of really niche person) for $10 a month without ads and lets you stream mobile.

Pretty sweet, imo.

I really can't imagine doing it any other way.

I'm with you. Spotify Premium. 99% of all music ever recorded instantly available, in CD-quality sound with no commercials for $10 month.

And ya- agreed. Whether it be Apple Music or Spotify ... $10 a month for pretty much any song you want , at any time is pretty sweet. I've discovered so much new music the last couple
Of years

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Lots of articles out there say that unless you have a serious sound system (with pre-amps and the like), and/or some serious headphones.. high bit-rates and FLAC files really don't matter. MP3 is just fine for laptops, beats headphones, and soundbars.

Radio in car: Mostly local radio, also have 8 gb of music on USB.

Receiver in living room: Local radio, via my Server-PC using Foobar and with visualizations, streaming and controlling with my phone and an Android media box using BubbleUPNP.

Bedroom: Mostly ambient sleep music using shoutcast, but also USB. Using a Sony Dash hooked up to a mini amp and a pair of MartinLogan speakers.

Bathroom: Almost exclusively Pandora via a Grace Digital music player and Logitech computer speakers.
This is the thread I want this to be.

Does anyone use JRiver MC?

I've used JRiver for years and really like it. I prefer it to Foobar but it's not free like Foobar. For me though the cost is worth it.

I looked into JRiver once, can't even remember what I was trying to do but I read a thread on some web site that said JRiver could do it. But you had to pay for it, $50+, and homey don't play dat, so I kept on looking for something that was cheap/free.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT