ADVERTISEMENT

How do you feel about the SEC?

EvilMD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2003
Going into each season, I tend to look forward to the non-conference matchups on our schedule. I don't give one second of thought to the SEC portion. How about you? It's almost like the SEC portion is the part that hopefully toughens us up for March, but doesn't really offer any red meat such as Duke playing UNC, Indiana playing Purdue, UCLA playing Arizona, etc. Florida was getting there, but that's over now that Donovan is gone. There just isn't a rival in the SEC that makes me think "we HAVE to beat those guys." Going into this season I'm thinking about Louisville, Duke, UCLA, Kansas, and whoever we might get in March. We get LSU at home, so I'm not sweating that one. How do you feel about it?

There is a point to your post. Looking at the SEC, the rivalries have been diminished with Florida looking dismal now, no one to hate at Miss. State, Tenn being another mess, now Arkansas, etc. This lack of real enemies in the SEC is also tribute to Cal and his fantastic recruiting. Other than maybe LSU (which always seems to underachieve) not sure who else is there.

Nevertheless, it is less about whom we are playing than watching our team for me. Each year there are so many interesting things to watch, wait for, and see. Will Willis actually play this year and be a star? Will Skal live up to the hype? Will Murray be able to play without the ball in his hands? Will Poy be any good (folks seem to forget that last season before his injury everyone was wanted Lyles to start over him)? How will guys like Hawkins do? What about this new Center, how will he perform? Can the team come together? Will Lee be a super-star now or the same? Well, on and on. As the season progresses, it is always fascinating to see the developments. Plus, the one thing the SEC does afford is that Kentucky brings out every opponents fan base to give us a hard time. It only makes the victory sweeter.

OP, I think you make some good points. We just don't seem to have that "big" rival in the SEC any longer. We have moments of it from schools like Ark, UT, UF and so forth but they just seem to come and go. I do believe that you should find some interest in the Vandy games this year (don't we play them twice?). I know many can't stand Stallings and their crazy gym but he is a good coach and they always seem to be up for UK. Someone else mentioned how the UK game is THE game on SEC opponents schedules and teams that can't compete well with Melrose Valley Technical Institute will come up and give us a battle. I like that feeling and enjoy going to other SEC schools to see them play against us. No, none of that is like Duke/UNC or other rivalries you mentioned but I also see a trending upward of quality coaches in the SEC that may just start turning that around. Despite the lack of big rivals or major powerhouses, the SEC (on the road) can be pretty tough and I enjoy being in this conference and I say it just gets better from this point on. Lots of random thoughts there, but that's how I see it.

I want the SEC to be strong - not because of conference pride, but because it makes OUR team stronger; especially towards the end of the regular season. This year we have enough diversity in coaches and coaching styles, we should be well prepared for anything come tourney time.

Sec has some coaches who are proven winners (not all, but better than it was) - There are some better recruits coming to the conference. I really do hope though, that this translate, as the OP and Orcat mention - into a real conference rival. Only time will tell if that happens.

I think we play Vandy in Nashvegas. That should be a challenge. Hostile crowd, likely NCAA level opponent.

Plus, having the KU game at the end of January will help by giving us an elite matchup on the road in the middle of the conference season.

LSU and A&M should give us good tests as well. I see 4 or 5 games that should give us some competition that will sharpen us for March.

I didn't mean to diminish the SEC as a conference. I honestly believe it's top five every year despite its critics. I just don't get up for it the way I do the November and December games. It means a lot more to me beating Duke than beating LSU for the 90th time. When the SEC portion of the schedule rolls around I still want us to win and I still get upset when we lose, but before the season starts the SEC is an afterthought. And I don't think other major schools look at their conferences the same way except for Kansas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bkocats
I didn't mean to diminish the SEC as a conference. I honestly believe it's top five every year despite its critics. I just don't "get up" for it the way I do the November and December games. It means a lot more to me beating Duke than beating LSU for the 90th time. When the SEC portion of the schedule rolls around I still want us to win and I still get upset when we lose, but before the season starts the SEC is an afterthought. And I don't think other major schools look at their conferences the same way except for Kansas.
I don't think you were diminishing the conference. We have been dominant in the SEC for so long (except for a few aberrations) that there is virtually no mystery to it. Sure, we might lose games here and there....but those tend to surprise us because there is generally no reason, on paper, why we should lose.
Unknowns are much more fun, plus beating a team like Duke gives us pleasure beyond just beating a good team.

Reactions: EvilMD
The SEC is picking some interesting coaches. There is good talent in the south to recruit. I'm ready to see them improve their status AND watch CATS embarrass them some more! . . . Plus their fans are so adorable!

1a1atenndawgfunny.jpg

I believe it will be more competitive this year. We have a bunch of new coaches, and several teams many believe can compete with UK for the title. I believe A&M, LSU, and Vandy among them. There are several other programs I think could be improved. Unlike the last two years I don't think we'll see a RS SEC champ with an unblemished record.

I believe it will be more competitive this year. We have a bunch of new coaches, and several teams many believe can compete with UK for the title. I believe A&M, LSU, and Vandy among them. There are several other programs I think could be improved. Unlike the last two years I don't think we'll see a RS SEC champ with an unblemished record.

Eh, none of those teams are going to compete with UK for the title...UK will win the SEC by 3-4 games. Not much of a competition IMO. And I think UK would 100% go undefeated if they had all their guys back from last year, but I agree this year's UK team will lose a couple on the road due to crooked SEC officiating and the toughness that is the road in any major conference.

We will play down to our competition in the SEC and have a few close games like last year. :rolleyes:

It doesn't make us stronger. It's just something to endure. Potential games for injury and no reward. A boring slog for eight straight weeks of the season. And that's why it's important they get off their ass and get better. Basketball is for enjoyment. If it was just about winning, we should step down to the OVC. But instead, I want to look forward to good games through out the season.

There was some good recruiting this year, so I have hope. But still concerned about the coaches. Everyone wanted to argue that mediocre teams beating each other up was a sign of a strong conference. The spectacular flame out in the tournament proves, again, it's just bad play.

It's unfortunate billy d left UF because they were at least one consistent foe we could count on...but I do think sec is gradually getting better

6 new SEC basketball coaches in last 2 years at Football schools, hopefully a couple of them can get their programs to a better level of competition.

Alabama - Avery Johnson
Auburn- Bruce Pearl
Florida- Michael White
Miss. St.- Ben Howland
Mizzou- Kim Anderson
Tennessee- Rick Barnes

Kevin Stallings and Andy Kennedy are now the only current SEC hoop coaches that have been in conference longer than Cal. Mark Fox started same year at UGA as Cal at UK.

ADVERTISEMENT