ADVERTISEMENT

How did you almost die?

BigTyrone

All-American
May 21, 2002
planet earth
I was 20, living in Los Angeles (Mid Wilshire which at the time was the "Mexican part of Koreatown - 4th and Kenmore) and went to Tijuana with an idiot former roommate.

He wanted to buy an 8 ball. I didn't even know what an 8 ball was but we had been drinking tequila and smoking weed all day.

We ended up.in an abandoned strip club with knives held to our throats.

I made it out.

A gun to the back of my head in home invasion. Was on my knees in the execution position. He didn't pull the trigger.

Told that story a couple of times here.

Nearly fell off a rock quarry wall when climbing.

A few car wrecks.

Nearly got killed in a mexican whore house in Juarez

Last edited:
Driving home to Lexington from Mason County in my first car, following my dad. This is when Paris Pike was just one lane between Paris and Lex. Dad gets a car ahead of me and I get behind someone turning somewhere near Jerry's or the gas station, I decide to try to go around them and find myself about half an inch from just launching myself off the road and down into a ditch. I was 16 and invincible so I didn't give it much thought until the next time I drove that way. Could have been curtains for young funKY.

I was a dam builder across the river deep and wide, Where steel and water did collide, A place called Boulder on the wild Colorado, I slipped and fell into the wet concrete below, They buried me in that great tomb that knows no sound, But I am still around, I'll always be around and around and around and Around and around.

Pillow Rock, Gauley River. Knocked off about 2 seconds before hitting rock, only spot I know of on trip down that holds you under water then spits you out, guides are trained to count seconds under water and I was in a toilet bowl effect for 7 seconds total before first breath, and of course my first breath came with swallowing water as I exited. It is at the beginning of trip down so I was unprepared to say the least. Scary moments.

Last edited:
Head-on jet ski collision in the Gulf of Mexico. Other kid's jet ski rolled up over the nose of mine, and hit the crown of my head. I was passed slick out, face down in the water for about 2 minutes.

Passenger in a pickup truck during the Ice Storm of '94. We hit a snow plow head-on.

Salmonella one time.

.38 revolver stuck into my ribs on Halloween night in '92. Lady probably had more bullets than teeth. She thought I threw an egg and hit her dilapidated Chevy Blazer. I think I did, but I talked my way out of it.

I Honeymooned in Cancun.

Pillow Rock, Gauley River. Knocked off about 2 seconds before hitting rock, only spot I know of on trip down that holds you under water then spits you out, guides are trained to count seconds under water and I was in a toilet bowl effect for 7 seconds total before first breathe, and of course my first breathe came with swallowing water as I exited. It is at the beginning of trip down so I was unprepared to say the least. Scary moments.

Jesus....the exact same thing happened to me at the exact same spot....was on a father son trip there when I was 13 or so, guide called it "surfing" where we backed up to the rock and tried to hold it there.

Of course I got flipped out and pinned under that rock, felt like an absolute eternity but was prolly in fact closer to that seven seconds. I thought I was done. And like you mentioned it was early on, I really just wanted gtfo of there at that point. Ended up "swimming" a class 4 later that day and bounced off every rock God had placed there.

The car accident where I broke my femur probably counts. Came real close to hitting another car, which likely would have done it. Hit the ditch (and approximately 612 tree branches) and my leg bounced up and broke at the knee on the bottom of the steering wheel.

Got stuck in a swimming pool during a lightning storm on vacation in Florida last year. Fun times if you hate lightning.

Speedball is a hell of a way to go, so is the David Carradine method.

I'll be serious though.
At 16 I had a mass ive blood clot in my artery that damn near killed me. Had to have it cut open and cleaned out. Then a yr and a half go I had major clots in my stomach that damn near killed me a few hours later and I was a goner. They cut me from sturum to the bottom of my stomach and removed the clots. So I have another bad ass scar. I've realized two things. There is a god and I'm not him.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
1985. Big hill, fast sled, icy trail, big tree. Hit tree. Ruptured kidney and spleen, walked almost a mile back home. Ambulance, ER, another ambulance, another hospital. Lose BP on trip. Surgery to remove kidney and spleen. Been damned near invincible since then.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
One time my F-14 Tomcat got caught in Iceman's jet wash and went into an irrecoverable flat spin. Well, of course I had to eject -- and I'll be damned if I didn't nearly smash my skull on the canopy.

Last edited:
Thought I could swim 200 yards to shore at night in the Chicago harbor area of Lake Michigan in early October at night while extremely obliterated.

Baseball practice around 10 years old: Got hit in the back of the head with a swung bat because some stupid kid on my team was just randomly swinging a bat while the rest of us were throwing. I never saw it coming. Woke up to my mom screaming, and the coaches slapping me in the face. Went to the hospital. Concussion. (Haven't been right in the head since)

Got robbed at knife point for $22, about 7 cigs and a lighter by a crazy crackhead in Nashville in 1999. I was in a part of town I shouldn't have been in and way too intoxicated and young to understand/care. I'm just glad he didn't gut me.

Skiing a double black on Ajax Mountain at ten years old. Downhill ski popped off between moguls. Fell 300 yards down a mountain. Luckily missed every tree. No injuries at all but I was pretty shaken up.

I was around 10 again and had a similar experience as other while white water rafting. Felt like I was caught under forever, but I'm sure it was like 7 seconds. Scary. Didn't think I'd ever come up but not really near-death IMO because you eventually come up after several seconds of churning.

Ate Golden Corral before golf scramble about 10 years ago...

Both of mine are vehicle incidents. I try not to think of it, but driving is unsafe AF.

When I first got my license, I was driving to basketball practice and going down a two lane rural roadway. Being sixteen and late, the logical thing to do was go about 20 mph over the speed limit. Going around a curve, I went too far right and plopped into the ditch. In a panic, I over corrected and spun myself in the opposite direction, across the other lane, and down the embankment. A tree made sure I stopped. The Jeep I was driving was crushed from the back seats to the bumper. I was literally a foot away from being snapped in half.

When I was at UK, I had a job in Georgetown. Driving on Newtown Pike, behind a semi, I saw the yellow light and [stupidly] decided to slam the brakes and wait the light. There was another semi-truck behind me. I heard his brakes squeal and then saw him cross into the shoulder beside me. If that dude hadn't been well aware, his truck would've nailed me.

Last edited:
I was riding a 3 wheeler down a gravel road when I was 14 (no helmet). Didn't make a curve and went off the road. At first I thought I was going to hit a telephone pole or get caught by the guy-wire. I was actually relieved when I missed those. I then went off an embankment into the woods. Luckily I was stopped by a bunch of small trees.

Driving home from school I didn't let a guy pass me one day. He followed me when I turned onto the street where my friend lived. I thought he just wanted to race, but he suddenly pulled his car in front of mine, blocking the street. I couldn't back up because behind me was the busy highway that we had just turned off. It was a big black dude and he was mad and high AF. He was banging on my car, trying to open the doors, yelling at his girlfriend to get something out of his trunk.

I finally just hit the gas, and went through a ditch and around his car to get away.

My last night in Mexico after a week of drinking, sun, and bad water. Terrible chills, fever, stomach cramps. I hated the thought of going to some dirty Mexican doctor's office.

Pillow Rock, Gauley River. Knocked off about 2 seconds before hitting rock, only spot I know of on trip down that holds you under water then spits you out, guides are trained to count seconds under water and I was in a toilet bowl effect for 7 seconds total before first breath, and of course my first breath came with swallowing water as I exited. It is at the beginning of trip down so I was unprepared to say the least. Scary moments.

I had the exact same experience on the Upper Gauley more than 20 years ago when I had young children. When I climbed back into the raft, I swore to Jesus that if I made it out of that river alive, I would NEVER do that again. And I have kept my vow . . . scared the living shit out of me.

Wow exact same thing happened to me in same spot about 15 years ago, except the my head hit the rock square. Then that "toilet bowl effect" LOL shot me so far down the river it seemed like it took the boat and guide 20 minutes to find me....and I was floating there wondering how the hell did I survive that.

^The thing is right before you are to go to the pillow rock there is a lull in action and the water is very still and you are waiting on other rafts to go through. The guide was telling us about the toilet bowl effect but I paid little attention. I'm an athletic,strong, coordinated guy, I'm not falling out all day long. Welp, a big wave hit us and I was off 25 minutes into this trip. Yeah, when I climbed back in I said "get me the touch outta here!"

We flipped people out many times the rest of the day but I held tight to a strapped down cooler the rest of the way. That is a hell of a lot more dangerous than I ever expected. I've never been back.

Reactions: Rex Kwon Do
flipped people out many times the rest of the day but I held tight to a strapped down cooler the rest of the way. That is a hell of a lot more dangerous than I ever expected. I've never been back.

QFT. I was invited by a client and did not know what I was signing on for. Carried our raft down the hill to the water, where I first saw the ocean pouring out of the dam. Said to myself "WTF have I gotten myself into???" By then, of course, it was too late to puss out, but I gave it serious thought . . . and later wished I had done so.

When I was 8 (1972), I nearly got smashed in the head by a Nate Colbert batting practice home run at Busch Stadium when he played for the Padres. I remember feeling it whiz just behind my neck.

Not with me but with my mother. I was 18 years old and my dad was out of town. It was a Friday night so like any 18 year old I was out late. Anyway, I got home about 1 in the morning. My room was in the basement and my parents room was upstairs. About 2 I got up to go to the bathroom and my mother heard the toilet flush. She kicked the floor which was her signal for me to come upstairs. I went up and asked what she wanted. She said she was having chest pains and that I needed to take her to the doctor in the morning. I said we were going to the hospital now. She was having a heart attach and they told her that if she got there 20 minutes later it probably would have been too late. That was 30 years ago and she is still going strong. Long story short, if I hadn't got up to take a leak in the middle of the night my mother would have died that night.

ADVERTISEMENT