ADVERTISEMENT

How did the 14-15 team lose in the Bahamas?

The 2015 team wasn't as good as we hoped.

I keep saying this. '15 was an eyelash from being an elite 8 team and lost immediately in the final four. They were an awesome team, but limited in areas and unbalanced. T18his board overrated them badly, mainly bec'ause when they had the matchup favor, they could blow you out. Also we platooned, so the sec being really weak that year made it look like they were team USA. In the tournament you can't platoon. Our starting 5 wasn't a top 3 team in the Cal era. I'd go '12, '10, and this year. 15 also was one of those Cal teams that had issues from.thr outside. They weren't a balanced and complete team. I also thought lyles was average at UK.

Great team, but still overrated.

Agree. Mega and San Lorenzo this time were good teams .

Sorry to bust your sunshine pumpin bubble but san Lorenzen wouldn’t be a top 75 rpi team in the NCAA. They wouldn’t be a tournament team. They are flat out bad and play even worse competition. Get some Latino sports channels and watch them play. They are not good. Mega bemax is a better team but we’re far from complete and extremely slow. I agree with greenbergs MAAC comparison. These teams didn’t zone us. Didn’t pound us. The officiating left the games wide open. Get in there with our regular officials and teams who are ncaat caliber and there will be games we struggle. Don’t judge our potential success against this pool of poor competition we played in friendlies. The NCAA doesn’t work like that

2015 was pretty deep but didn't have the scorers that this years team does.

LOL at that team merely being called "pretty" deep. That team had NINE future NBA players. Hell, on the bench it had an NBA all star caliber guy now averaging 25 ppg in the League (Booker) who never even started a single game for us.

That team was insanely deep.

Last edited:
Sorry to bust your sunshine pumpin bubble but san Lorenzen wouldn’t be a top 75 rpi team in the NCAA. They wouldn’t be a tournament team. They are flat out bad and play even worse competition. Get some Latino sports channels and watch them play. They are not good. Mega bemax is a better team but we’re far from complete and extremely slow. I agree with greenbergs MAAC comparison. These teams didn’t zone us. Didn’t pound us. The officiating left the games wide open. Get in there with our regular officials and teams who are ncaat caliber and there will be games we struggle. Don’t judge our potential success against this pool of poor competition we played in friendlies. The NCAA doesn’t work like that

It's August and they play like they've been together for 3 years already. We have incredible balance everywhere. It is not common to see a team play this way this early. Also they went against some potential NBA guys and professionals. We will fave teams with way less talent than them.

Is it like running through Duke and Kansas? No. But you have to see it for what it is.

Also how is this team slow? They can push it with anyone and score quick. Our guards have plenty of speed and our bigs aren't lumberjacks lol.

Not the fastest Cal team, but not the slowest either. Easily faster than other final four teams we've had.

Reactions: chroix
Jay Bilas may have let his NCAA loathing turn him into a petulant full-time contrarian, but he also knows more about basketball than the vast majority of people, and certainly anybody on television. Discrediting his ability to see the game is just stupid.

Jay Bilas may have let his NCAA loathing turn him into a petulant full-time contrarian, but he also knows more about basketball than the vast majority of people, and certainly anybody on television. Discrediting his ability to see the game is just stupid.

Dude I have a former coworker friend of mine who recently got a new grill. He had the most jacked up teeth for years. Missing teeth bad gums the works. I saw him after he spent around 15,000 bucks on work and damnit son, best teeth of anyone I know now. Didn't even realize that's possible.

You're doing God's work.

It's August and they play like they've been together for 3 years already. We have incredible balance everywhere. It is not common to see a team play this way this early. Also they went against some potential NBA guys and professionals. We will fave teams with way less talent than them.

Is it like running through Duke and Kansas? No. But you have to see it for what it is.

I agree about seeing what you have but the other teams were in the same boat. They are playing guys who normally wouldn’t play and like I said they weren’t playing college ball with zone, slownit down, etc. They played us straight up and when that happens talent shines. The refs to didn’t call 40 fouls per game the way they will in the reg season. It was a very loose whistle. Yeah i agree it was good for cal to evaluate some things but we won’t know how we measure up in college comp until we are put under pressure. I definitely think we can win it all but it’s not because we beat very good competition. I mean there were times these teams played no defense. That’s not going to happen in the college game. Take a team like bemax and put them with a college coach. They will be zoning, slowing the pace, they will be hacking us and likely getting a favorable whistle. Defense is the great equalizer in college hoops. Maybe w win that game by 8 or 10 instead of 30

I agree about seeing what you have but the other teams were in the same boat. They are playing guys who normally wouldn’t play and like I said they weren’t playing college ball with zone, slownit down, etc. They played us straight up and when that happens talent shines. The refs to didn’t call 40 fouls per game the way they will in the reg season. It was a very loose whistle. Yeah i agree it was good for cal to evaluate some things but we won’t know how we measure up in college comp until we are put under pressure. I definitely think we can win it all but it’s not because we beat very good competition. I mean there were times these teams played no defense. That’s not going to happen in the college game. Take a team like bemax and put them with a college coach. They will be zoning, slowing the pace, they will be hacking us and likely getting a favorable whistle. Defense is the great equalizer in college hoops. Maybe w win that game by 8 or 10 instead of 30

One thing I definitely agree on were the whistles. We got to feel like Duke for a few days. I haven't heard anyone mention this and I nearly started a thread on it. It is a concern. We won't get those calls in the season. Cal knows it for sure.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
That wasn't the point. The point was that the DR team they played was better than any teams they played this time around. I didn't hear anyone compare the teams we played recently to anything other than mid-majors at best.

Mega Bemax has multiple future NBA players. San Lorenzo had guys that were former NBA players and others who are considered the top players in South America. Maybe not too 5 competition but I absolutely think they are on par with power conference teams, while the others would likely fair well in mid majors.

Reactions: chroix
Mega Bemax has multiple future NBA players. San Lorenzo had guys that were former NBA players and others who are considered the top players in South America. Maybe not too 5 competition but I absolutely think they are on par with power conference teams, while the others would likely fair well in mid majors.
None of the teams we just played would have beaten nor hanged with the 2015 team regardless of how many games we played. I'll leave it at that.

Mega Bemax has multiple future NBA players. San Lorenzo had guys that were former NBA players and others who are considered the top players in South America.

Who are the former NBA players on San Lorenzo? What evidence do you have that there were future NBA players on that Bemax team? Can you give any names?

If you assert claims like that, then you should be able to back it up with some sort of evidence or fact-based explanation.

Also how is this team slow? They can push it with anyone and score quick. Our guards have plenty of speed and our bigs aren't lumberjacks lol.

Not the fastest Cal team, but not the slowest either. Easily faster than other final four teams we've had.
I think he meant to say "were" instead of "we're".

Reactions: morgousky
LOL at that team merely being called "pretty" deep. That team had NINE future NBA players. Hell, on the bench it had an NBA all star caliber guy now averaging 25 ppg in the League (Booker) who never even started a single game for us.

That team was insanely deep.
Ok, I'm gonna go with pretty insanely deep.

Who are the former NBA players on San Lorenzo? What evidence do you have that there were future NBA players on that Bemax team? Can you give any names?

If you assert claims like that, then you should be able to back it up with some sort of evidence or fact-based explanation.
Yeah, looking at their roster and I don't see anyone who is being mentioned as a first-rounder or anything. Might have overlooked someone.

Reactions: dakid_0812
Yeah, looking at their roster and I don't see anyone who is being mentioned as a first-rounder or anything. Might have overlooked someone.

Yeah, I'm just curious where all this talk is coming from.

My impression from the games I watched was that we looked very good, but our competition looked very weak, and I sure did not notice anyone who looked like an NBA talent to me.

That's why I was quite surprised when I came to this board and saw these posts claiming there were all these future (or former) NBA players on those teams. Yet none of those posters have yet produced any actual names or evidence to back up those claims.

Last edited:
We all know now that John Higgins was paid off repeatedly to take us out of the tournament. I don’t know if it was the NCAA or who was pulling the strings, but he was the hitman. UK has 2-3 more titles without his interference. He went on to lie about the “death threats” and I don’t think he’ll ever ref a Kentucky game again. The NCAA has to have connected the dots, but they’ll never investigate it because it changed the course of history and they don’t want to face the wrath of UK.

If they admitted that Higgins was paid year after year to take out UK they would be finished. There’s honestly no other explanation, anybody watching saw that it went past just typical ref incompetence we see year in and year out in the SEC. UK fans know what bad reffing looks like. These games had a much different feel. It wasn’t bad reffing, it was intentional reffing, and the intent was to ensure a Kentucky loss.

And some will say “UK fans will always blame the refs”. That’s honestly not true, there was almost zero complaints after the last tourney loss, we just played like absolute garbage against a trash team. People on the outside don’t understand that there has been a common denominator in close tournament losses in the Cal era, all the losses with absolutely egregiously horrible calls. Intentional calls. The Wisconsin game was the oddest game I’ve ever seen. I had a terrible feeling as soon as the game began. I couldn’t put my finger on it at the time, but looking back it was like I was watching a scripted event. I’m now certain that’s exactly what it was. Wisconsin may have even been privy to it, not sure on that.

Anyway I’m not reading too much into the preseason games. Just happy that the team is getting an early chance to gel and play decent competition. It can’t be anything but good. After seeing the 14-15 in the Bahamas, I said “there is not a college team that can beat Kentucky”. I’m not saying that at all with this team. I think they lose 3-6 games. But I’ll take our guys over anyone else to win that all important last game, no question. The pieces are in place and honestly if Cal doesn’t do it this season, I will start to doubt he’ll ever get another. I don’t want there to be undue pressure on Cal and the best team doesn’t always win, but we need to get this one. Cal is all gravy if he seals the deal this season. It would be 7 elite eights, 5 final fours and 2 championships in 10 seasons. That’s an unbelievable decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: i11ogica1
Mega Bemax was a decent team. We made them look worse than they are and that’s a good thing.

We all know now that John Higgins was paid off repeatedly to take us out of the tournament. I don’t know if it was the NCAA or who was pulling the strings, but he was the hitman. UK has 2-3 more titles without his interference. He went on to lie about the “death threats” and I don’t think he’ll ever ref a Kentucky game again. The NCAA has to have connected the dots, but they’ll never investigate it because it changed the course of history and they don’t want to face the wrath of UK.

If they admitted that Higgins was paid year after year to take out UK they would be finished. There’s honestly no other explanation, anybody watching saw that it went past just typical ref incompetence we see year in and year out in the SEC. UK fans know what bad reffing looks like. These games had a much different feel. It wasn’t bad reffing, it was intentional reffing, and the intent was to ensure a Kentucky loss.

And some will say “UK fans will always blame the refs”. That’s honestly not true, there was almost zero complaints after the last tourney loss, we just played like absolute garbage against a trash team. People on the outside don’t understand that there has been a common denominator in close tournament losses in the Cal era, all the losses with absolutely egregiously horrible calls. Intentional calls. The Wisconsin game was the oddest game I’ve ever seen. I had a terrible feeling as soon as the game began. I couldn’t put my finger on it at the time, but looking back it was like I was watching a scripted event. I’m now certain that’s exactly what it was. Wisconsin may have even been privy to it, not sure on that.

Anyway I’m not reading too much into the preseason games. Just happy that the team is getting an early chance to gel and play decent competition. It can’t be anything but good. After seeing the 14-15 in the Bahamas, I said “there is not a college team that can beat Kentucky”. I’m not saying that at all with this team. I think they lose 3-6 games. But I’ll take our guys over anyone else to win that all important last game, no question. The pieces are in place and honestly if Cal doesn’t do it this season, I will start to doubt he’ll ever get another. I don’t want there to be undue pressure on Cal and the best team doesn’t always win, but we need to get this one. Cal is all gravy if he seals the deal this season. It would be 7 elite eights, 5 final fours and 2 championships in 10 seasons. That’s an unbelievable decade.

Take john higgins out of the wisconsin game and the north carolina game and we have 10 championships, and are eyeing #11. He was so bad in the north carolina game that somebody told him to stop at halftime.

I wouldn't say that at all. They were the greatest defensive team of all time in college basketball history and a top 10 team overall in college basketball history. We we're just unlucky and had to face Wisconsin in the final four who happens to be the most offensively efficient team since Ken Pom has been keeping track of Offense Efficiency.
That's not even close to being true.

These teams this year were not worse. They are Pro paid players and NBA ex players. 2015 team did not gel like this team but 3-4 times the whole year.

Dar Tucker did not make it out of the D league but was one of the best in the d league with a 50 point game but Eric Dawson did play in the NBA. The second player I was actually thinking of was Andrew Nicholson who was on team Toronto. Goga Bitdaze is the main NBA prospect for Bemax and will likely be drafted this coming year but some others have a chance. Lots of other guys among the teams who have been fringe draft prospects at times and have still become professional players working on their games as grown men. The teams seem far from scrub teams.

Reactions: UK90
Dude I have a former coworker friend of mine who recently got a new grill. He had the most jacked up teeth for years. Missing teeth bad gums the works. I saw him after he spent around 15,000 bucks on work and damnit son, best teeth of anyone I know now. Didn't even realize that's possible.

You're doing God's work.
Hah, not yet I'm not. I'm mostly just memorizing cell signalling pathways right now.

But maybe in 5 years you can trust me with 15k worth of implants in your jawbone.

Although in a decade or two, we might be able to just regrow bone/teeth in certain cases with scaffolds and pluripotent stem cells. And it will quickly become cheaper than implants, too.

Reactions: morgousky
Was the competition just better? Kentucky lost to the Dominican Republic in the final game, and I remember another game was back and forth all the way. Could be because that team played a slower pace, but other than that I'm not sure. Could also be that we had a couple guys out with injuries, but so did this team.

Other than the first half against the Bahamas national team, this squad just blew the brakes off of everyone. I know you can't put too much on an exhibition game, but it's kind of wild to think that the 38-1 team took an L down there.

They roughed us up physically, and we didn’t react very well to it. And like others said we were tired and we didn’t have Lyles and Willie.

The 15 team is arguably the best college basketball team to ever take the floor. In the last 5 minutes, wisconsin could do anything they wanted without drawing a foul. They held on every cut on defense, (Both hands), pushed off on every cut on offense, (both hands), moved on every pick, smacked arms on every shot.....i've watched that game 3 times. By my count, wisconsin committed over 60 fouls in that time span. Even without that, take away gasser jumping back inbounds for a layup, and the atrocious shot clock violation, and we are coming up the floor with the shot clock off tied, instead of down four. That game was stolen.
LOL. The 96 team would’ve beaten the 15 team and I think they would’ve done it fairly easily.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Bottom line the teams we played weren't great, but Mega Bemax does have future NBA guys on it. Guys that went through the process just like PJ and were told they would be 2nd round picks so they came back. They were the one solid team and we destroyed them. It seemed like their plan was to bully us and watch us break down, but the opposite happened and then they looked lost. Competition level or not, it's freakin August! This is a completely new team, freshman and Reid who mine as well be one with different teammates, coach, system, time zone LOL and most importantly role. I thought for 10 practices with only 3 guys that had played serious mins together and where we lost what, like 75%+ of last years scoring looked pretty promising.
Seem to like each other, will be a force on D once they practice it. Should own teams on the boards. Showed outside shooting is there with Quade, Herro, KJ, Quickly and even PJ and Reid going 4/5 last game. They share the ball and for so early protect it pretty well. These guys are going to get a ton better by Nov. 6th. Plus get EJ and Baker back. Once they have a chance to get use to each other and real coaching starts this team has a real chance to be special. Did I mention it's August for a bunch of guys that just met a month ago or less.

I keep saying this. '15 was an eyelash from being an elite 8 team and lost immediately in the final four. They were an awesome team, but limited in areas and unbalanced. T18his board overrated them badly, mainly bec'ause when they had the matchup favor, they could blow you out. Also we platooned, so the sec being really weak that year made it look like they were team USA. In the tournament you can't platoon. Our starting 5 wasn't a top 3 team in the Cal era. I'd go '12, '10, and this year. 15 also was one of those Cal teams that had issues from.thr outside. They weren't a balanced and complete team. I also thought lyles was average at UK.

Great team, but still overrated.

Possibly overrated simply because people thought they were unbeatable. But I disagree about not being balanced as far as talent. Most years, they would be the most balanced team in the country. I think they were better than 2010 but I would give the nod to 2012 simply because of AD. IMO, and it's just that, an opinion, it was the pressure of going undefeated that became too much. If we lose a game in the year, I truly believe we cut the nets. It's hard to compare them against this year because we haven't played a game yet but I rank them as 2nd of Cal's teams. I think they were pretty awesome.

LOL. The 96 team would’ve beaten the 15 team and I think they would’ve done it fairly easily.
I have to disagree. The 15 team was taller, longer, and more athletic. They would have no problem breaking the press. And dont forget, calapari beat that 96 team.

I have to disagree. The 15 team was taller, longer, and more athletic. They would have no problem breaking the press. And dont forget, calapari beat that 96 team.
You’re entitled to your opinion, regardless how wrong it is. The basketball skills of the 96 team dwarfs those of 2015. The athleticism is just as good if not better as well.

ADVERTISEMENT