ADVERTISEMENT

How did the 14-15 team lose in the Bahamas?

IndyCat1995

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2016
Tucson, AZ by way of Indiana
Was the competition just better? Kentucky lost to the Dominican Republic in the final game, and I remember another game was back and forth all the way. Could be because that team played a slower pace, but other than that I'm not sure. Could also be that we had a couple guys out with injuries, but so did this team.

Other than the first half against the Bahamas national team, this squad just blew the brakes off of everyone. I know you can't put too much on an exhibition game, but it's kind of wild to think that the 38-1 team took an L down there.

Fatigued, missing two starters, and for all we know the opponents could have been tougher.

Competition was far superior than what we saw this past week.

The 2015 team wasn't as good as we hoped.
I wouldn't say that at all. They were the greatest defensive team of all time in college basketball history and a top 10 team overall in college basketball history. We we're just unlucky and had to face Wisconsin in the final four who happens to be the most offensively efficient team since Ken Pom has been keeping track of Offense Efficiency.

We played one or two more games. And I don’t think there was a day off in between them.

4-5 games in 5-6 days is tough. By the last game your legs are screaming “What are you doing?!”

And they only lost to the DR team by 1 point. It wasn’t a blowout.

I wouldn't say that at all. They were the greatest defensive team of all time in college basketball history and a top 10 team overall in college basketball history. We we're just unlucky and had to face Wisconsin in the final four who happens to be the most offensively efficient team since Ken Pom has been keeping track of Offense Efficiency.
Celticat was being sarcastic.

The 2015 team wasn't as good as we hoped.
The 15 team is arguably the best college basketball team to ever take the floor. In the last 5 minutes, wisconsin could do anything they wanted without drawing a foul. They held on every cut on defense, (Both hands), pushed off on every cut on offense, (both hands), moved on every pick, smacked arms on every shot.....i've watched that game 3 times. By my count, wisconsin committed over 60 fouls in that time span. Even without that, take away gasser jumping back inbounds for a layup, and the atrocious shot clock violation, and we are coming up the floor with the shot clock off tied, instead of down four. That game was stolen.

Was the competition just better? Kentucky lost to the Dominican Republic in the final game, and I remember another game was back and forth all the way. Could be because that team played a slower pace, but other than that I'm not sure. Could also be that we had a couple guys out with injuries, but so did this team.

Other than the first half against the Bahamas national team, this squad just blew the brakes off of everyone. I know you can't put too much on an exhibition game, but it's kind of wild to think that the 38-1 team took an L down there.
They were exhausted. 6 games in 8 days with multiple practices in between. And both centers were out. Put willie and karl on that team, and tell me if they would lose.

And that happened to have two big wings, which after Poy's injury were the only type of players that really gave UK fits (well, that and quick guards). UW kept getting guys like Booker switched onto Dekker and Hayes. Duke wouldn't have been as much of a matchup problem because Winslow was not as much of an offensive threat, although he was perfectly suited to guard UW's wings.

The 15 team is arguably the best college basketball team to ever take the floor. In the last 5 minutes, wisconsin could do anything they wanted without drawing a foul. They held on every cut on defense, (Both hands), pushed off on every cut on offense, (both hands), moved on every pick, smacked arms on every shot.....i've watched that game 3 times. By my count, wisconsin committed over 60 fouls in that time span. Even without that, take away gasser jumping back inbounds for a layup, and the atrocious shot clock violation, and we are coming up the floor with the shot clock off tied, instead of down four. That game was stolen.
Y'all need to turn your sarcasm meters on.

This team is better. At least at this point. Remember, Towns wasn't all that until late December when he started to come into his own. This team's inside game is already solid. This team's guards are at least as good at this point if not already better.

Hadn't we already beaten them as well?
Yes.

We played 3 games, had 2 days off, then played 3 more games. We played the Dominican team the first time in the 4th game and beat them by 22 points. Then we played the French pro team (that we had previously beaten by 23) and only beat them by 5 points. Our legs were clearly going out on us at the end of that trip. By the time we played the DR team in the 6th game we were dead. Had a chance to win the game down the stretch, but lost by one point.

Remember that WCS was recovering from his surgery and Trey Lyles also was not playing for some reason.

Reactions: Mike-D
Cal said the opposite.
Go look at the roster of the team that beat us back then. It was a lot better than what we saw. Not to mention, Jay Bilas said that DR team was the equivalent of a Power 5 team.

Last edited:
I think that 14-15 team gets misremembered in some ways. They were one of the best teams that’s ever been assembled in college basketball. Certainly one of the best defensive teams ever. But sometimes the offense didn’t always click. They had a few close games that year where their shot just wasn’t falling. Also throw in the fatigue factor as well and it was just a perfect storm for a loss.

The Dominican team was also the only decent team last time around. San Lorenzo and Mega Bemax are much better than the other teams from four years ago.

Reactions: chroix
Also, while googling the info on the 2015 Bahama tour I came across a couple articles that UK spent nearly $800k on that trip. They were able to recoup about $400k from boosters and ticket sales. No mention of whether TV revenue offset the rest.... although if it was on the SEC Network that may have already been built in and the amount we get back from network revenue offsets plenty.

From what I remember the game they lost had same atmosphere/feel to the game yesterday, end of trip, guys worn down from trip, and poor shooting and sloppy play to start the game. Difference from my viewpoint is that '19 Cats have more guys who can make plays with the basketball/better skill level where '15 team was unreal with depth, talent, and size, but playmaking for others wasn't as spread out. Andrew Harrison/Ulis were playmakers/could distribute, but this team has Green, Quickley, Hagans, Johnson, Herro, and PJ/Travis even are comfortable moving the ball although I'd like to see Washington cut down turnovers when he passes. But 7 guys who can all distribute/make a play for a teammate is such a weapon to fight through droughts/low points in games. Think of it this way, the team had 24 pts with around 2 minutes to go in 1st Half and ended up scoring 93. That lack of a drop off is special. And Montgomery and Baker (he's got potential to help this team in key spots and be a zone buster) didn't even play.

The previous team played 6 in 6 days. They had no legs for the last game from what I remember.

I think if you combined all the teams from this years summer tour and 2015's, the top 3 would be Dominican national team, Mega Bemax and San Lorenzo.

2015 was pretty deep but didn't have the scorers that this years team does.

Reactions: -BBH-
Well if Jay Bilas said it it must be true...
That wasn't the point. The point was that the DR team they played was better than any teams they played this time around. I didn't hear anyone compare the teams we played recently to anything other than mid-majors at best.

Go look at the roster of the team that beat us back then. It was a lot better than what we saw. Not to mention, Jay Bilas said that DR team was the equivalent of a Power 5 team.
well now...if Jay said it, that changes everything:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That wasn't the point. The point was that the DR team they played was better than any teams they played this time around. I didn't hear anyone compare the teams we played recently to anything other than mid-majors at best.

lol i was just kidding man :) however I’m not entirely sure that is accurate

They were worn out and also the teams we have played in the bahamas overall have been for the most talented good teams. Not amazing teams ( not like a top 5 college team ) but they would definetly be top 20-40 teams if they were in college so the competition is good as well. I full thought we would go 3-1 this past week and maybe 2-2 . The fact we blew out everyone is insane.

UK will have a great year regardless. Duke is playing below average competition.

ADVERTISEMENT