ADVERTISEMENT

How did Sharpe go 7th....

...given all the reports about his terrible interviews and his agreeing with Cal's plan not to play him? What a sham! It's really just so mind boggling....
Where is a source stating whose plan it was? I tell you what you people are so full of hot air no wonder it’s been 95 out

It just takes 1 team, 1 GM, 1 owner, 1 coach to not want to miss out on a POTENTIAL future star.
I think he may turn out more like a Wiggins type player, good, but not a star. Remember Wiggins was supposedly going to be a great player
You clearly don't watch the NBA.

Beachside the NBA is garbage anymore. It’s all about “what ifs”. Last night’s draft showed that.
I mean. The best player last year went freaking third. No way Banchero and Holgrem are better than Smith. Last night was a joke. There were so many trades and strange picks it’s no wonder Tyty fell so far. Ty wasn’t Top 15 or anything but to almost fall out of the first round? Last night was BS.
The same Jabari Smith who flamed out in the 2nd round shooting 3/16 against a team he had a clear mismatch against? I dont know how you can say he was anywhere close to a "you have to take this guy #1" type of player.

Reactions: cats#1again
The same Jabari Smith who flamed out in the 2nd round shooting 3/16 against a team he had a clear mismatch against? I dont know how you can say he was anywhere close to a "you have to take this guy #1" type of player.
Lot of people making way more money than you or I would disagree with that.

Banchero is debatable with Smith. But Holgrem is definitely not better.

Yeah, but what playing at a school like UK offers also, is the media scrutiny and fan attention to help prep these guys for the off-court aspects of NBA life. That part is overlooked, but very important.

Irrelevant to the draft. That's what their PR is for.

Lot of people making way more money than you or I would disagree with that.

Banchero is debatable with Smith. But Holgrem is definitely not better.
How so? I just did a search on clicked on about 10 of the "Big Board" analysts put out before the draft and really it was like a 33% split down the middle with Smith being #1 on 3 of them, Banchero being #1 on 3 of them, and Holmgren the same. And seeing how the top 2 teams in the draft and their decision makers who make a whole lot more money than the both of us passed on Jabari, I dont know how you can come to that conclusion.

A few players have skipped college and went straight to the pros and achieved instant stardom, Lebron James being the
most notable. But Sharpe does not have LeBron's body. Maybe the powers that be see him as another Steph Curry who can shoot the lights out from three point range. He seems a risk to me but time will tell.
Sharpe is a big strong kid. 6'6" 200 lbs
Steph was about 6'2" 175

Reactions: Johnfarrel
Dude crushed folks on the Nike circuit last year. As college basketball fans we probably overrate the importance of playing in college. 30 games, 10-15 of them playing against trash probably isn’t something that can’t be overcome in the scouting process. Heck the Thompson twins are already both in the top 10 in mock drafts. They’re in Overtime Elite which I think is just glorified high school prep ball.
F&M, I gotta tell ya, having little experience with prep basketball, I don't feel like defense, team dynamics and winning are valued the way they should be on the Nike circuit.

judging by the screen name, I'm guessing you're about 32ish, so.you might have missed the finer points of 96. The 96 team was GREAT because they were amazing defensively. their press, which undoubtedly was difficult maintain at a high level, required a rotation of GOOD players, and they had to trust their teammates. I can't count the number of times we defended into a 10second call.

My point is, there is no substitute for team basketball. Otherwise, you're just Jimmy Chitwood shooting hoops on a dirt court.

I called it back in April. Early reports said Portland would draft him given the opportunity.
Yep, there was a report back in April that said Damian Lillard was high on him and wanted him. As loyal as Lillard has been to Portland, they probably want to keep him happy.

Mike Schmitz, ESPN's Draft Guru and former friend/co-worker at Draft Express with Jonathan Givony, was hired by Blazers and really lobbied for him. Personally I enjoyed Schmitz work and thought he was one of the few people at ESPN that actually worked hard and went out and saw players/did his research. Interesting to see how this unfolds.
In this Podcast starting at about the 13:30 mark team is raving about Schmitz and what an advantage having him was …then goes on to say Schmitz brought in Jeremy Sochan(#9) and Jalen Williams (#12) for Sharpe’s workout to specifically harass him and see how he would respond …the host of the podcast saying he was there and saying Shaedon passed with flying colors …says the Paul George comp is legit .

In this Podcast starting at about the 13:30 mark team is raving about Schmitz and what an advantage having him was …then goes on to say Schmitz brought in Jeremy Sochan(#9) and Jalen Williams (#12) for Sharpe’s workout to specifically harass him and see how he would respond …the host of the podcast saying he was there and saying Shaedon passed with flying colors …says the Paul George comp is legit .
Appreciate the info. I have no questions about Sharpe's talent and I see the big picture but fully understand why UK fans are furious and not happy. Think it's as simple as just being honest about things and not saying with definitive attitude he'll be back, etc....and then seeing how many injuries took place on the team (which I also think played a big factor in Washington not wanting him to actually play last year).

As for Schmitz, you sometimes figure out why something is successful and grows when you get to know the "players" and with Draft Express, it's pretty obvious from jump who was the brains in that outfit. Givony is a little troll uncomfortable in own skin and always on the take, Schmitz loved the work and put it in. Glad to see he was rewarded for that too.

A side now--I like Jalen Williams but not big on Jeremy Sochan. Think he's one of those guys you keep waiting to see the version you've been told about and it never happens.

Potential.
Yep, that's it. Draft night is often more about potential than skill. And all it takes is one GM and one team to buy in and that's it. He may be a bust or he may be rookie of the year. It's a gamble, though, since he hasn't played actual competitive basketball in over a year. They're taking a big risk. I'm not surprised, though, considering his athleticism and measurables.

ADVERTISEMENT