ADVERTISEMENT

How did Sharpe go 7th....

UK_born_b_bread

Freshman
Oct 27, 2018
...given all the reports about his terrible interviews and his agreeing with Cal's plan not to play him? What a sham! It's really just so mind boggling....

...given all the reports about his terrible interviews and his agreeing with Cal's plan not to play him? What a sham! It's really just so mind boggling....
Bad reports from nba teams? That’s a ploy they have used for years to plant doubt in other teams minds about a player they want to slip in the draft so they can pick him lower.

Beachside the NBA is garbage anymore. It’s all about “what ifs”. Last night’s draft showed that.
I mean. The best player last year went freaking third. No way Banchero and Holgrem are better than Smith. Last night was a joke. There were so many trades and strange picks it’s no wonder Tyty fell so far. Ty wasn’t Top 15 or anything but to almost fall out of the first round? Last night was BS.

Beachside the NBA is garbage anymore. It’s all about “what ifs”. Last night’s draft showed that.
I mean. The best player last year went freaking third. No way Banchero and Holgrem are better than Smith. Last night was a joke. There were so many trades and strange picks it’s no wonder Tyty fell so far. Ty wasn’t Top 15 or anything but to almost fall out of the first round? Last night was BS.
I was so hoping Riley would take him. That man can flat out develop players (with Spo).

It just takes 1 team, 1 GM, 1 owner, 1 coach to not want to miss out on a POTENTIAL future star.
I think he may turn out more like a Wiggins type player, good, but not a star. Remember Wiggins was supposedly going to be a great player too.

Reactions: TM2013
It just takes 1 team, 1 GM, 1 owner, 1 coach to not want to miss out on a POTENTIAL future star.
I think he may turn out more like a Wiggins type player, good, but not a star. Remember Wiggins was supposedly going to be a great player too.
You mean the Wiggins that basically just helped GA win number 8? Dude freaking showed out during the Finals this year.

Dude crushed folks on the Nike circuit last year. As college basketball fans we probably overrate the importance of playing in college. 30 games, 10-15 of them playing against trash probably isn’t something that can’t be overcome in the scouting process. Heck the Thompson twins are already both in the top 10 in mock drafts. They’re in Overtime Elite which I think is just glorified high school prep ball.

I don't understand how over a decade into Cal's tenure people still don't get how the NBA draft works. It doesn't matter if a guy is "NBA ready" or if his body has matured, or if he was an exceptional college player. All that matters is a prospect's potential. No NBA team really cares all that much that Sharpe sat out the year at UK.

Mike Schmitz, ESPN's Draft Guru and former friend/co-worker at Draft Express with Jonathan Givony, was hired by Blazers and really lobbied for him. Personally I enjoyed Schmitz work and thought he was one of the few people at ESPN that actually worked hard and went out and saw players/did his research. Interesting to see how this unfolds.

I don't understand how over a decade into Cal's tenure people still don't get how the NBA draft works. It doesn't matter if a guy is "NBA ready" or if his body has matured, or if he was an exceptional college player. All that matters is a prospect's potential. No NBA team really cares all that much that Sharpe sat out the year at UK.
A few did. Pacers basically told him to eff off.

I usually love the draft. Fun to watch. Like to see where all the goo players end up. But last night was just stupid. Don’t know if it was our lack of guys or the fact really good players were being screwed over.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
You mean the Wiggins that basically just helped GA win number 8? Dude freaking showed out during the Finals this year.
Yes. He's been a good player. But not the elite generational player that he was thought to become. And one series does not make you "great".

Dude crushed folks on the Nike circuit last year. As college basketball fans we probably overrate the importance of playing in college. 30 games, 10-15 of them playing against trash probably isn’t something that can’t be overcome in the scouting process. Heck the Thompson twins are already both in the top 10 in mock drafts. They’re in Overtime Elite which I think is just glorified high school prep ball.
Yeah, but what playing at a school like UK offers also, is the media scrutiny and fan attention to help prep these guys for the off-court aspects of NBA life. That part is overlooked, but very important.

Apparently not since literally everyone was saying they had hardly any fake tape. The NBA wanted to see him play, believe that.

Wiggins is about to get paid again and was huge for their ship this year, he’s always put up stats but being with great players and on a winner really up’ed his game.

A few players have skipped college and went straight to the pros and achieved instant stardom, Lebron James being the
most notable. But Sharpe does not have LeBron's body. Maybe the powers that be see him as another Steph Curry who can shoot the lights out from three point range. He seems a risk to me but time will tell.

Reactions: J_Dee
Mike Schmitz, ESPN's Draft Guru and former friend/co-worker at Draft Express with Jonathan Givony, was hired by Blazers and really lobbied for him. Personally I enjoyed Schmitz work and thought he was one of the few people at ESPN that actually worked hard and went out and saw players/did his research. Interesting to see how this unfolds.
One of the best talent evaluators on the planet

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan

Question: Considering EVERYTHING, was Holgren the legit number one player coming out of HS? As I recall, I said that Smith and Banchero were both better and got bashed. Was I right or wrong? Is my memory even correct on this??

Question: Considering EVERYTHING, was Holgren the legit number one player coming out of HS? As I recall, I said that Smith and Banchero were both better and got bashed. Was I right or wrong? Is my memory even correct on this??

Dude is a legit player.

I just don’t think he’s better than Banchero or Smith, especially in how the game will translate to the pros. Holgrem is going to have to build some mass of he is going to get abused in the NBA. I don’t think he’s a twig person se, but can you imagine him trying to stop LBJ or AD or some like Donchic? No freaking way. Donchic is huge for a PG and while I know Holgrem is not going to be guarding him, he will still be out there playing defense as part of the team.

Same reason we assume Cindy Crawford’s young daughter will be killer.

Is that creepy? I don’t know. Made sense to me.

This is why the NBA is a terrible product compared to what it once was. It was much better when every team started NBA ready players and they competed. Now it’s all about developing the next trade bait star to jack 30 footers and flop all game.

No gm wants to be the one that passed. It’s easier to be oops we took him too soon (like hallf thr league) than be the one that whiffed.
it’s completely terrible business logic, but that us shy dome tesms always suck

So Chauncey Billups answers all your questions about how Shaedon went 7th …The Portland press grills Sharpe about his time at UK …I’m just very intrigued to watch him play in a real game with grown men …which will happen on July 7 …I mean, it really sucks he never played for us …but so much time has been spent discussing him …I wanna see with my own eyes what all the fuss was about

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT