ADVERTISEMENT

How did Duke NOT win the NC with 'the greatest' coach and 5 guys drafted (3 in top 16, 4th at #26)?

I.m fair about it. The only reason it pisses me off a bit is because Duke got WAAAAAAY more protection than we ever did under K. So yeah, K has five titles. And half of those were gifts, especially that 2015 title. So eff the K love. That was a beautiful ending to the biggest fake in college ball. And I will celebrate it daily.
This is a top ten all time terrible take.

This is a top ten all time terrible take.
Duke didn't get protected for a few of those titles? BS. I'm surprised as hell we didn't have to witness the coronation of the Dark King this past year. I'm thrilled actually.

Please, go kiss K's ass a little more. I can respect that he's a great coach. But it's the same view I have towards Brady. Both are greats in their fields; both have also cheated when they had no freaking need to. And both have had league and ref protection.

Please go root for Duke; especially if you can't see or fairly acknowledge K has gotten help over the years.

Change the subject back to UK(cal) failures. You miserable guys are so predictable.
I’m not changing the subject, I just think it looks silly. We have no room to talk about choking or underperforming period.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Maybe only Dean Smith and Cal managed to avoid winning with a huge talent advantage over every other team in the country like Coach K did. Yes, they did make the Final 4 but, dang, the NBA certainly thinks a lot of their roster from last year. In retrospect, you'd almost have to view last year as a disappointment, much like UK in 2015.
I would argue the duke team with Zion not making the final four is much worse than this win not winning it

Cal’s teams will be remembered for

Winning the 2012 title
4 final fours in 5 years
Bricking shots to end tourney games
And K's last words were "Well...s%^&"

His legacy will be marred with choking to their most hated rival to stain the storybook ending.

I love it.

I mean imagine us losing to KP and UofL with a similar roster in the FF. We'd be sick as hell. And FF or not, it would suck something awful.

Duke didn't get protected for a few of those titles? BS. I'm surprised as hell we didn't have to witness the coronation of the Dark King this past year. I'm thrilled actually.

Please, go kiss K's ass a little more. I can respect that he's a great coach. But it's the same view I have towards Brady. Both are greats in their fields; both have also cheated when they had no freaking need to. And both have had league and ref protection.

Please go root for Duke; especially if you can't see or fairly acknowledge K has gotten help over the years.
I can’t stand K, you dimwit. I’m just not ate up with Duke like you are. Your Brady take is another all timer lol. Good grief, dude, you don’t have to reply to every single post on this site. Go outside and take a walk or something.

Horrible take.

And lost or a first year coach and their most bitter rival to ruin a fair tale ending for the Rat King?

Yes. Yes we are. Because if that were us and lost to KP at UofL? Duke would be doing the same.

K has ONE FF over us in the last seven years with arguable MORE talent than Cal had at times Zion, Banchero, etc).

People say Cal has squandered talent, and never mention K lately. So, just calling it out.
K has squandered plenty of talent, but he's also made 13 Final Fours and won two titles since Cal came to Kentucky.

K is vastly superior to Calipari. It doesn't meant that K is without blemish, but he's owned Cal in recruiting, in head-to-head, and in overall success.

K has squandered plenty of talent, but he's also made 13 Final Fours and won two titles since Cal came to Kentucky.

K is vastly superior to Calipari. It doesn't meant that K is without blemish, but he's owned Cal in recruiting, in head-to-head, and in overall success.
You’re right and it’s not close. It sucks but it’s true.

Duke had been a 1-seed 14 times under Coach K. They were a 2-seed 11 times. Been to the Final Four 13 times. In their 5 titles under Coach K they only won the NCAAT 1 time when they weren't a 1-seed(1991 as a 2 seed). Had 48 1st-round draft picks(Dean Smith only had 25 1st round draft picks). They had an additional 35 players drafted in 2nd round or later back when they had more rounds under Coach K.

83 draft picks in 42 seasons. Nearly an average of 2 draft picks a year.

He won a lot of games. He also squandered a shit ton of opportunities with a hell of a lot of talent. So laugh all you want about the thought. The evidence is pretty damn strong about how much talent he's had, but didn't win more with.

Maybe only Dean Smith and Cal managed to avoid winning with a huge talent advantage over every other team in the country like Coach K did. Yes, they did make the Final 4 but, dang, the NBA certainly thinks a lot of their roster from last year. In retrospect, you'd almost have to view last year as a disappointment, much like UK in 2015.
Honestly, since Krat went all in on the one&done he hasn’t been nearly as successful.

It's about results. And sure, sometimes you just get beat when you shouldn't. K has had that happen to. The same way it happened to us.

I feel I'm qualified to fire on K fan wise. I used to really respect the dude, even if he was our most hated coach rival. But the way he ran his program turned me off as I got older. The shady stuff, the player attitudes, the way he talked down to reporters and student journalists at Duke. But the camel back breaker was letting Grayson act like a trust fund brat. And then promising he'd be suspended a 'good amount of time' which was a nothing one game against a lower quality opponent. That's when I was done showing respect or reverence to the rat bastard. Eff K.

But the cumulative issues with Cal right now have me flat or down on him. He's taken some good steps (changed staff around last year, landing Dilly, distancing himself from Sharpe and not using Draft Night as a ego boost), but now it's time to turn it around. Good season last year with a bad post season. Let's get both this go round. I'm not ready to abandon Cal yet, because I think at his best, he's the best fit for UK basketball. But this is it. After 9-16 (strike one), last year's piss poor choke job in the post season(1-2, strike two), Cal has to get it this year or get gone.
Do you mean he has to win a title or make the final four this year? I'd give I'm at least two more years. Imagine running Cal off with the recruiting class he's putting together that would decommit and the new coach having to fill the roster with significantly less talent. Someone recently said our program was in shambles now, if that happened the program would be really crippled, maybe to the point of not recovering for a long time. The talk would still be all about Cal and there would be zero excitement for UK basketball. Like you, I'm critical of Cal too in many aspects but it could get really bad if things aren't handled right and expectations aren't realistic.

Last edited:
Says you. Duke has been protected and that's not even debatable. And as far K's recruiting, we all know what was going on pre-NIL.

I K a great coach? Sure. Has he been propped up by the NCAA looking the other way? Definitely.

You may be a bit stronger in your opinion than I am but I do agree. The NCAA blatantly and purposefully let K off in the Maggette scandal despite his ultimate admission of taking money. What was worse was the WAY it was done. The NCAA buried the issue until a writer brought it up and made it public. The NCAA's response was, "Oh by the way, yeah, he took money but he was never declared ineligible so Duke is in the clear. Neither Duke nor Maggette knew it was wrong or should have known it was wrong." That is by far the strangest NCAA decision I have ever seen!

Compare that to Kanter in which Mark Emmert who isn't really supposed to be involved comes out and says, "He will never be allowed to play at Kentucky. The amount of money isn't the issue. If he received 1 dollar more than is allowed, he is ineligible."

I don’t know, but I can tell you this, if Cal was coaching that team and lost, he would have been hanged. Coach K of course, didn’t take any heat at all. That’s the difference between Duke fans and Kentucky fans. Duke has loyal fans, Kentucky has mostly pessimistic, ungrateful, unrealistic fans. Duke is now the gold standard in college basketball.
BS. Kentucky has incredible fans. It’s the miserable SOBs (like many on this board) who give UK fans a bad reputation. They are a tiny minority.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
And their starting PG did not play.
His replacement had a career high that night. Sometimes injuries are a blessing in disguise. We shot 12℅(33℅ avg) from three that game and around 50% from the FT line. They shot 43% (33% season avg) that night. Basketball is a hard one to win. Looking at seeding and season play the North Carolina win was a bigger shock. West Virginia was a #2 seed in the tournament that year. Wasn't Carolina like a #8 or #9?

That’s what make the ncaa tournament so fun, anyone can get beat on any given night. None of this best of 5/7 spread out over three weeks.

My take is you shouldn't exclusively recruit top 30 guys, as they will likely all be one and done. Yes you get the best guys, but only for one year. And they may be great NBA prospects, but aren't always finished products. Transfers can help with experience. And if you recruit transfers with a few years of eligibility you can get them back, like Gonzaga with Bolton.

Last edited:
I don’t know, but I can tell you this, if Cal was coaching that team and lost, he would have been hanged. Coach K of course, didn’t take any heat at all. That’s the difference between Duke fans and Kentucky fans. Duke has loyal fans, Kentucky has mostly pessimistic, ungrateful, unrealistic fans. Duke is now the gold standard in college basketball.
Are you goofy? I live in North Carolina and the Duke fans around me were insanely irate at K

Good post. On point sarcasm

Man,its hard to win the NCAAT. A lot harder than most realize. A lot of very, very good teams have fell short....Look at 1983 Houston----hell even Louisville. 1985 Georgetown....UNLV in 1991. So on and so on. In a one game elimination tournament, its just tough.

While nothing is certain, I firmly believe that given all the circumstances, with K retiring and the talent level, Duke wins the final game. UNC was very inconsistent all the while blowing big leads and losing late in the season to a team like Pitt.

Also, as for the final game, UNC blew a 15 point halftime lead and had horrific execution and coaching inside of 1 minute left with the game hanging in the balance. While far from certain, I think KU was lucky to be facing UNC in those situations and not Duke.

Having said all that, all that ultimately matters is the end result. The rest is for chat board discussion.
Agree with the KU getting UNC........Duke was a terrible match-up for Kansas.

Dukes getting a lot of passes in this thread. If they hit this, if they shot free throws, if they saved a timeout BLAH BLAH BLAH. Disgusting. Worse, this mentality is not passed on to UK, where they would be deemed as pathetic excuses. Which they are.

In Coach Ks last year, he had the most talent from Day 1. If you watched Duke play us in November, be honest that you didn’t call them a rag tag bunch of overachievers. You called them the most talented team in the country.

Now that the ending wasn’t a fairy tale, boo hoo... it’s no different than 2015. Clearly the most talented team in the nation did not win the national title, take the Duke excuses and burn them in the trash. They have no place in modern society let alone on a UK message board.

It just happens.

A 1 loss and you're out style tournament lends to chaos. 1 bad shooting night, a couple bad calls, one guy on the other team shooting out of his mind, it doesn't take much to tip the balance of the scales.

A team has to be truly dominant to take chance away from the equation. There haven't been many college basketball teams that fit that bill.

I honestly wonder if Kentucky beat Duke in 1992 if all this Duke hate would be such an intense thing?
I think it is more specific than that. The feeling in W Ky at that time was elation that we were back and even competing with Duke in that game with a bunch of home grown, slow Ky kids on nothing but heart and determination.
The key moment that inspired a lifelong hatred for Duke was when Laetner stomped on Timberlake (and got away with it). Duke has been the villain since then, and K continued to recruit those type players and allow (seemingly even encourage) that type of behaviour.
Now, I am going to conveniently ignore that Travis Ford exacted revenge for that act by leg locking a Duke player on the floor a couple of years later in the tourney (and got away with it!)...... but he had it coming, right?

Says you. Duke has been protected and that's not even debatable. And as far K's recruiting, we all know what was going on pre-NIL.

I K a great coach? Sure. Has he been propped up by the NCAA looking the other way? Definitely.

I remember that championship game where an Arizona player helped prop up Jay Williams.

5507966558584.image.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT