ADVERTISEMENT

How Can You Possibly Defend Calipari?

The record speaks for itself but his “coaching” today is a perfect example of how he’s underachieved with all his talent in 11 years.

Last 3 possessions he calls timeouts where we run plays for shots from Boston, a prayer from Askew and Sarr. Plus Jackson took the shot prior to this. Look at who the hell he’s drawing the shots up for. The ones who have shot horribly all year or haven’t even scored in 2 games. Yet we have a guy who has 19 with numerous 3’s who NEVER even touched the ball on any of those possessions.

Screw CAL. HES GOT TO GO!

He doesn’t draw up plays for Mintz so probably never occurred to him.

Remember when He said he forgot Baker was on the bench (read team)

Reactions: Montana81
Sure. He could not try to recruit great players and fill the team with middling players we know don't have a shot at a run. He could miss the tourney for a couple years in a row. He could do other things as well but it would depend on the circumstances and situations. The only problem this team has is we didn't get Cade. If we had Cade and everyone thought we did for a while, this team looks waaaaay different. The problem isn't BJ, or Clarke, or Fletcher or Sarr. The problem is, everyone looks bad without a serviceable point guard and we don't have one.

Damn dude. It’s almost like you don’t watch the games. Clarke and Boston are overrated. Sarr hasn't scored two games. Nobody can guard the ball. Nobody not named Mintz can make an open jumper. This team actually looks like Cal rolled the balls out in practice. We are a month in and they have gotten worse, not better. The problems for this bunch run much deeper than a “serviceable point guard”.

Damn dude. It’s almost like you don’t watch the games. Clarke and Boston are overrated. Sarr hasn't scored two games. Nobody can guard the ball. Nobody not named Mintz can make an open jumper. This team actually looks like Cal rolled the balls out in practice. We are a month in and they have gotten worse, not better. The problems for this bunch run much deeper than a “serviceable point guard”.
No they don't. This team isn't developing any later than usual. Surely you realize Covid delayed their start? You should also realize all the bunnies were cancelled and this team had to start playing tough comp. right out of the gate. Couple that with Sarr being a little softer than expected, no point guard, and Boston/Clarke not being generational talents (just really good freshmen). You have the recipe for this, it's not mind boggling.

• Haha
Reactions: wildcatwelder
I say this with the modicum of respect you deserve; when you watch basketball you don’t actually know what you are watching. You just cheer, and that’s ok. Just leave the real basketball talk to folks who know what they’re watching, K Sparky?
Sorry (Bro) I've forgotten more about basketball than you'll ever know. K Spanky?

No they don't. This team isn't developing any later than usual. Surely you realize Covid delayed their start? You should also realize all the bunnies were cancelled and this team had to start playing tough comp. right out of the gate. Couple that with Sarr being a little softer than expected, no point guard, and Boston/Clarke not being generational talents (just really good freshmen). You have the recipe for this, it's not mind boggling.

I wouldn't call Boston/Clarke "really good freshman".

not sure you can say B & C are really good freshmen at this stage. Struggling freshman, yes but not really good. They both have had games of putting up points but are given every opportunity to do so. BJ is now shooting less than 15% from 3. Only baskets he made today were putbacks and a layup. Clarke didn’t score nor even come close.

not sure you can say B & C are really good freshmen at this stage. Struggling freshman, yes but not really good. They both have had games of putting up points but are given every opportunity to do so. BJ is now shooting less than 15% from 3. Only baskets he made today were putbacks and a layup. Clarke didn’t score nor even come close.
I'll give you that. It's early, they will be. Boston played much better today. Sure he can't hit a bull in the ass right now but he played better defense and didn't jack up shot after shot, he's learning his role. Clarke was hobbled by a rolled ankle and Cal even said he shouldn't of been playing in the first place. Most freshmen in the country don't even get clock this early in the year. These freshmen are fine. They were just thrown straight into the fire without even a warmup. I'm ok with them and their development. They ain't AD, Zion or Melo but they'll be alright.

The record speaks for itself but his “coaching” today is a perfect example of how he’s underachieved with all his talent in 11 years.

Last 3 possessions he calls timeouts where we run plays for shots from Boston, a prayer from Askew and Sarr. Plus Jackson took the shot prior to this. Look at who the hell he’s drawing the shots up for. The ones who have shot horribly all year or haven’t even scored in 2 games. Yet we have a guy who has 19 with numerous 3’s who NEVER even touched the ball on any of those possessions.

Screw CAL. HES GOT TO GO!

Pony up the 20 mill there Dukie Zay. Make it happen baby!!!!!

Jeez. This guy is pathetic.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Its bad. We have literally NO base offense we work out of. Almost any team you watch has a basic continuity they work from and have different calls off of that set. We literally do not have it. We have a jumbled mess of pin downs, horns sets and pick and roll and it’s absolutely awful. Anyone that really knows the game can see the lack of coaching here. I have coached many teams (though not at the college level) and it is very evident. I do not claim to be a better coach or know more than Cal, but it is painfully obvious if you know what you are looking at

Its bad. We have literally NO base offense we work out of. Almost any team you watch has a basic continuity they work from and have different calls off of that set. We literally do not have it. We have a jumbled mess of pin downs, horns sets and pick and roll and it’s absolutely awful. Anyone that really knows the game can see the lack of coaching here. I have coached many teams (though not at the college level) and it is very evident. I do not claim to be a better coach or know more than Cal, but it is painfully obvious if you know what you are looking at

It’s obvious to me from this post you do know more than Cal. Lol. But seriously, you pretty much nailed it. You only forgot the dribble hand offs into a ball screen that he runs against man to man or zone. And the fact that he runs pin downs for 25% shooters.

You do not draw up plays with just one option. I do not know who was first option in the first drawn up play but the shot by Sarr was not a bad shot. He simply missed the same shot he missed against Notre Dame. The shot choices when you go full court with 5 seconds is down to who was open. I would like to go back and watch to see if Mintz was defensively taken out either play. I will always be a UK fan and I still support Cal.
Gross

Again, nothing personal, but did covid only impact UK?

And for those that respond with we are so young, well who encourages players to bolt before they are ready? That dude making 10 million. This is ALL on him and his BS ego.

The offense seems to be predicated upon assuming guys can create their own space and get their shot or penatrate. We've got guys who can finish at the rim, but can't create, space, and guys who can get open and shoot or drive but can't hit the broadside of a barn. Meanwhile, not a single damn one of them seems to understand how to facilitate the bigs down low, and NONE of them seem to grasp the need for motion when on offense. It's all just high ball screens and go. JFC. Let's see some crosses underneath or something. Anything.

In his defense, he's taken only 4 shots the last two games COMBINED.
Ok. Our best shooter only gets 2 shots a game? Who's calling plays, make-a-wish?

And boston plays nearly 40 min? Who makes those decisions?

My beef isnt with you (i really meant "nothing personal"), it is with Cal. Besides, he said be mad at him ... ok. I am. What he has done this year to the fans and with the product on the floor has to end. He has earned this negative feedback.

Edit: in years gone by, id be really upset. It may sound like im upset in my post, but im not really that upset. I am ready to move on. His shtick has gotten old.

Again, nothing personal, but did covid only impact UK?

And for those that respond with we are so young, well who encourages players to bolt before they are ready? That dude making 10 million. This is ALL on him and his BS ego.
You nailed it. I don't know of another team that had a whole new team and made of all freshmen and transfers. So, it would impact UK much more drastically. Of course, Cal is going to send players to get paid if he can. Cal didn't make their decisions for them, in fact, he told some they should come back, they didn't. The thing with Cal that makes me mad is Allen, I just don't get it.

Reactions: Lost In FL
Ok. Our best shooter only gets 2 shots a game? Who's calling plays, make-a-wish?

And boston plays nearly 40 min? Who makes those decisions?

My beef isnt with you (i really meant "nothing personal"), it is with Cal. Besides, he said be mad at him ... ok. I am. What he has done this year to the fans and with the product on the floor has to end. He has earned this negative feedback.

Edit: in years gone by, id be really upset. It may sound like im upset in my post, but im not really that upset. I am ready to move on. His shtick has gotten old.
I respect your opinions and not upset at you at all. According to Cal the game plan was to go inside to Sarr today but he has to do his part. He's not fighting for position, not boxing out, not being aggressive, not doing anything. That part is not on Cal. I could put my pop's in the middle and run plays for him but at some point he has to have some ability and toughness to get his shot off and didn't have that today. He's soft as Charmin. Maybe even Skal 2.0

Reactions: Lost In FL
I respect your opinions and not upset at you at all. According to Cal the game plan was to go inside to Sarr today but he has to do his part. He's not fighting for position, not boxing out, not being aggressive, not doing anything. That part is not on Cal. I could put my pop's in the middle and run plays for him but at some point he has to have some ability and toughness to get his shot off and didn't have that today. He's soft as Charmin. Maybe even Skal 2.0
Thx, likewise. (I wanted to emphasize that bc intent is hard to read into.)
I forgot about Allen. I would understand if he was upset and left. Doesnt seem like he is given a chance.

If Cal doesnt know what he has in Sarr yet, then that reflects on him as a head coach. Bottom line: This is not "10m" results.

Thx, likewise. (I wanted to emphasize that bc intent is hard to read into.)
I forgot about Allen. I would understand if he was upset and left. Doesnt seem like he is given a chance.

If Cal doesnt know what he has in Sarr yet, then that reflects on him as a head coach. Bottom line: This is not "10m" results.
That's true. Cal def. warrants a lot of the blame.

3 tournament missed in 15 years with Barney running the show. That guy has to go first IMO. I don’t want him doing any more business for Uk athletics. Someone’s head needs to roll ASAP and he should be the first one after the ridiculous contracts he’s handing out

So you watched that game and thought they “played as a unit”? Was it the six assists offensively that convinced you? Or the lack of rotation and team D on the other end? Clueless

No, I watched that game and thought they made improvements from the last game. The defense was definitely better or we’d have gotten blown out. As a less discerning fan, you might not realize this team is not going to make a dash turn around. It will come in bits and slowly. It is the small things that you will need to watch for week to week. I know that pisses off folks like you but that’s how basketball works sometimes. That’s what we got. You can support it or cry like a small child or leave. I’m trying to support what we got.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
ADVERTISEMENT