ADVERTISEMENT

How Can You Possibly Defend Calipari?

I just mean overall. What would it take? Two years in a row with no tournament? 3? Is there anything Cal could do that would lose your support of him being the coach?
Sure. He could not try to recruit great players and fill the team with middling players we know don't have a shot at a run. He could miss the tourney for a couple years in a row. He could do other things as well but it would depend on the circumstances and situations. The only problem this team has is we didn't get Cade. If we had Cade and everyone thought we did for a while, this team looks waaaaay different. The problem isn't BJ, or Clarke, or Fletcher or Sarr. The problem is, everyone looks bad without a serviceable point guard and we don't have one.

Only problem I had was the Jackson shot but I think someone was open and passed up the shot
Sarr is a good shooter and Boston had a chance

Sure. He could not try to recruit great players and fill the team with middling players we know don't have a shot at a run. He could miss the tourney for a couple years in a row. He could do other things as well but it would depend on the circumstances and situations. The only problem this team has is we didn't get Cade. If we had Cade and everyone thought we did for a while, this team looks waaaaay different. The problem isn't BJ, or Clarke, or Fletcher or Sarr. The problem is, everyone looks bad without a serviceable point guard and we don't have one.
BY THEN KENTUCKY WILL BE DEAD. We can’t wait 3 seasons.

This is incredibly delusional. We’ve been mediocre for the majority of 5 years now, and absolutely dreadful this season.

No one can defend these results this year. It’s bad. But if you think firing Cal makes us better in the future then I think that’s stupid. He still gives us the best chance for success. We will not upgrade by letting him go. Don’t let your emotions cloud your good sense
I am amazed when post this thought right here.

Reactions: The Real Hatfield
Not taking up for Call because the coaching is suspect at best.

But how did so many people miss on so many of these players ratings?
It seems to me that the better questions to ask are: (1) Could all of the people who were rating all of these players for the last three years have been wrong about all of them ? (2) Who or what is the common factor between and among all of these highly-ranked high school players who are now having no success as college freshmen ? [The answers are, of course: (1) No. (2) John Calipari is their head coach.]

The “wait till March!” crew will transition to accepting this is a terrible season, but now will just change it to “he’s entitled to one bad season!”

Wait for it.
I don't defend Cal, but the program. No new coach is going to march in and fix this. Cal is responsible and needs to finish the season. You do too much damage to the program to run him off now. It could eliminate several other sports. Give the man a chance to resign in March.

Reactions: Montana81
I don't defend Cal, but the program. No new coach is going to march in and fix this. Cal is responsible and needs to finish the season. You do too much damage to the program to run him off now. It could eliminate several other sports. Give the man a chance to resign in March.

I’m certainly not advocating for Cal to be fired right now.

I’d like to see a certain group of fans here acknowledge there is trouble in paradise and things need to change.

No one can defend these results this year. It’s bad. But if you think firing Cal makes us better in the future then I think that’s stupid. He still gives us the best chance for success. We will not upgrade by letting him go. Don’t let your emotions cloud your good sense
Why wouldn't we upgrade?

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
The record speaks for itself but his “coaching” today is a perfect example of how he’s underachieved with all his talent in 11 years.

Last 3 possessions he calls timeouts where we run plays for shots from Boston, a prayer from Askew and Sarr. Plus Jackson took the shot prior to this. Look at who the hell he’s drawing the shots up for. The ones who have shot horribly all year or haven’t even scored in 2 games. Yet we have a guy who has 19 with numerous 3’s who NEVER even touched the ball on any of those possessions.

Screw CAL. HES GOT TO GO!

I know I’m definitely not ready to say, ‘Screw Cal.’ I do think he deserves another year or more, depending on the record this year.

However, I am ready to say that he needs to totally change how he recruits. I have nothing against one and done players and I understand you have to recruit ‘the best of the best,’ but just having the best of the best doesn’t make a great team as we are seeing now. We need to recruit the top 2-3 one and done’s every year, but they need to be mixed in with very solid 3-4 year players to give Kentucky a combination of ultra high level talent and experience.

That might not lead us to a National Championship every year, but it should give us a much more solid baseline of talent so that years like this one don’t happen.

Reactions: Disappointed Cat
The record speaks for itself but his “coaching” today is a perfect example of how he’s underachieved with all his talent in 11 years.

Last 3 possessions he calls timeouts where we run plays for shots from Boston, a prayer from Askew and Sarr. Plus Jackson took the shot prior to this. Look at who the hell he’s drawing the shots up for. The ones who have shot horribly all year or haven’t even scored in 2 games. Yet we have a guy who has 19 with numerous 3’s who NEVER even touched the ball on any of those possessions.

Quick speaking facts Zay, you'll make the sunshine pumpers pump harder lol

I do think Cal can be a good coach when he wants to coach. He doesn't want to coach. He's tired from his own OAD system. Cal stopped coaching after that Towns team.

The “wait till March!” crew will transition to accepting this is a terrible season, but now will just change it to “he’s entitled to one bad season!”

Wait for it.

When they know they can’t defend him, they turn to:

“You guys take it too seriously”
“I don’t let it bother me”

Blah blah blah. It doesn’t matter much to them but their posts # dwarfs mine lol.

When they know they can’t defend him, they turn to:

“You guys take it too seriously”
“I don’t let it bother me”

Blah blah blah. It doesn’t matter much to them but their posts # dwarfs mine lol.
Your spot on with this. They’ve already started going that route. “Cal’s done so much he’s allowed to have a season like this”, or “our fans are rabid and care to much about the game of basketball”.

I defend Cal because he won here, a lot, historically a lot, before this year, a lot, you can knee jerk flush it all after one bad year, but you all can also get divorced and remarried 20 times (if you could find enough idiots willing to remarry yer sorry asses)

Reactions: Rockfly78
Your spot on with this. They’ve already started going that route. “Cal’s done so much he’s allowed to have a season like this”, or “our fans are rabid and care to much about the game of basketball”.

Haha. Right! I’ve always loved the fact that UK fans are “rabid” and care more than anyone else. Proud of it.

Not taking up for Call because the coaching is suspect at best.

But how did so many people miss on so many of these players ratings?
I’m more baffled by the question of why Sarr was so much better at Wake Forest than he is here.

Last year he looked like an All ACC caliber stud racking up big numbers against teams like Duke, North Carolina and Virginia. Then he puts on a Kentucky uniform and suddenly starts sucking.

What happened to last year’s version of Sarr?

Who ya got?
Let’s get to the bottom line. Do you believe UK is the top program in college basketball? Do you also believe Cal is one of the best coaches in college basketball? I ask those questions because if a top coach is coaching at the top program the results should be teams that are consistently one of the best 3 or 4 teams in the country. We are not really seeing that result. The reason we aren’t seeing that result is either that UK isn’t the program we think it is or he isn’t the coach we think he is. I personally think we are very much the program we think we are. That leads to the conclusion Cal isn’t a coach that can’t be replaced with someone who could do as well or better. Thinking a particular coach is not replaceable is very dangerous For a program.

So this is what BBN gets from the Gold Standard, a $10 million/year coach and the top ranked recruiting class? Arrogance and stubbornness rule the day.

ADVERTISEMENT