ADVERTISEMENT

Horrible tragedy in Texas - at least 14 kids dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, and I’ll get ripped for this (probably because it’s true and people sort of know it deep down), but there’s really only one way to curve these mass killings. Give people hope.

There’s only one way to do that. You have to believe a higher power is in control. Some will reject it sure, but some will be changed. Gun control measures will not deter a man dead set on killing if he wants to be a mass murderer. He’ll find a way.

The problem is many in this country want to be Godless and they also want people to feel a sense of morality. Well that’s not going to happen. Many non believers can live openly and peacefully, but many younger non believers with real mental issues cannot. They need a natural deterrent that only a higher power can bring. A sense that there’s something out there that feels their pain and is watching over them.

So people can bash away, but the further we remove God from our communities, the worse this will get. And banning my right to own my weapons isn’t going to stop people from dying.
Of all the stupid things you have said today this has to be the stupidest. For someone so passionate about protecting the 2nd amendment, you have no problem directly contradicting the 1st amendment. You know the one that allows freedom of religion no matter what you believe in.

I doubt you ever made it far enough through school to learn about evolution, but it completely disproves your holy book that you swear has all the answers.

Of all the stupid things you have said today this has to be the stupidest. For someone so passionate about protecting the 2nd amendment, you have no problem directly contradicting the 1st amendment. You know the one that allows freedom of religion no matter what you believe in.

I doubt you ever made it far enough through school to learn about evolution, but it completely disproves your holy book that you swear has all the answers.
Why do unbelievers insist on insulting believers like this? He didn't call you stupid. Why call him stupid?

One of this kids survived and is recovering. The other in the hospital didn’t make it.

The sounds of the parents from one of the videos…..cemented in my memory. Doesn’t even sound human.

As a parent of two kids that age….. I can’t.

You’re a very scary guy. The energy you put off is just…..

Something isn’t right with this one. Kids are dead, stop playing political games.

Transgender mentally ill

a7m2Yoz04moy.png
Damned Republicans.

Only one way to stop a bad person with a gun and that’s a good person with a gun. No law, policy and rule will stop a person from getting a gun if they want one. Best way? Have the teachers that want to be trained, trained. Require a monthly check of their weapons. Require certain amounts of hours on a range per year. Have the teachers who chose to be armed a safe in the desk that only they know the combination for. This is the way

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Where are we going to get all these retired sharpshooters to man every school, given that every business in America has a help wanted sign in the window? And is one guard actually enough, in a HS with 1500 students, like most around here do? And what about churches, malls, theaters, grocery stores, concerts, ballgames, etc.? Are they all going to have to become hardened targets with multiple armed guards? None of that is even possible, even if it were going to stop the problem. That is not much different than "ban all the guns" - it is not possible and with 400M guns in circulation already, would not stop the problem. Hell, I never bought a gun in my life, yet I now own two through inheritance.

Lots of people in this country have mental issues, and some on this thread have suggested putting the severe cases in institutions - so are we as a society willing to pay increased taxes to fund mental health services and institutions to meet the need? And by the way, many of these mass shooters have not had any real criminal history or otherwise shown any indication that they were about to go kill people before they started shooting, the guy in Las Vegas is a good example.

Things like this don’t happen in most of the world, at least not at the frequency of the US. There are many contributing factors, access to guns is one, but it doesn’t matter.

Americans have this same conversation following every massacre. Mental health, guns, culture. Hell, they blamed video games and Marilyn Manson in the 90s. But a big part of America is broken and we all know this will happen again.

It has been many years, but my MOS was security and I was Asst NCOIC of security at a small base in Viet Nam. I'm not familiar with all the modern stuff, but how much security we have in a particular place is directly related to how much freedom we as a nation are willing to give up. Tskware is right about that. A little more God in our lives would be a good idea.

Reactions: Tskware
This doesn't happen in other countries who don't have guns like we do. It's very simple, get rid of all the ****ing guns in America.

Sure people can still try with a kinfe or some other weapon but you can't do near as much damage or near as fast. The only answer is to get rid of all the guns. I'm sure that's gonna piss everyone off but idc, I'm sick of innocent people being slaughtered

We have to start somewhere, and protecting our children should be first. But this is a much deeper problem that no gun law will solve....it is our culture, and how we have regressed as a society, with the main issue being liberal viewpoints and philosophies.

Get back with me when NYC, LA, SF, Chicago, Philly, etc.....solve their own issues. Let me know when the administration in DC turns this country around. Funny how they're the loudest voices that blame others when a tragedy like this takes place, yet they are silent in regards to what is taking place in their own backyard. They were silent as we watched cities burn 2 years ago, but have no issues pushing back when our law enforcement tried to intervene.

You can't legislate morality, but you can let morality be at the forefront by allowing those who believe in God, family, helping others, love of country, etc.....to be the voices of reason, because the current platform sure as hell sucks.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I work with guys in UK and Scotland. Talk with them almost every morning. And we can be blunt with politics and differences. A few of them are scared to travel to the US. The reason for that is that when they consume our media, all they see is reports of shootings and massacres like yesterday. It's what they associate with the US.

They literally can't understand how we let it happen. It sounds crazy to them. Gun violence just isn't a problem there. Sure, it can happen, but it's very very rare.

So, when people say guns aren't a factor, that doesn't really compute. What people mean when they say that is that the 2nd amendment isn't changing, therefore making gun laws will largely be a futile effort. And they aren't wrong about that because the 2nd amendment isn't going to change.

I just think in order to get to the root of problems you have to be real. Guns are 100% a factor here. That's not politics, it's truth. Mental health is also huge.

But then in a population of 300+ million, isn't it really just a matter of time until a disenfranchised person picks up a gun and repeats? It's sad but I've come to accept these types of massacres in the same way I accept tornadoes, hurricanes, flood and earthquakes. I don't see any of it changing. Will just get worse probably.

Reactions: JFCats22
Sounds like a locked door or a bullet could've stopped this before it happened in the school.

Officers engaged the shooter outside the school, to no avail....entered through a south side door.

Lot of talk about everything but the case at hand. We don’t know the facts.

I’m pretty confident we will find out the murderer broke gun laws.
This doesn't happen in other countries who don't have guns like we do. It's very simple, get rid of all the ****ing guns in America.

Sure people can still try with a kinfe or some other weapon but you can't do near as much damage or near as fast. The only answer is to get rid of all the guns. I'm sure that's gonna piss everyone off but idc, I'm sick of innocent people being slaughtered

“other countries”….who won their independence because of guns?

See, that’s the issue at hand. WE MUST FUNDAMENTALLY CHANGE THIS COUNTRY. (Because we have way too much freedom, and a tyrannical govt).

You can f right off with that short sighted argument. Especially after what we’ve seen the last 2 years. Especially with what’s potentially coming down the pike.

Nobody asks what our government can do for us in these situations. How about our govt protects our schools? In the parkland situation, for example, you had a failure of government at all levels. First, federally, that kid was somehow able to purchase a gun. There was a disconnect between the feds/NICS check and local FL sheriff. The local police failed time and time again as they had been called to deal with this crazy kid multiple times. The local school banned this kid from school grounds. They obviously failed.

Just in that one example, there are numerous ways that tragedy could have been easily stopped if government did its job. They didn’t.

It’s crazy, especially with how incompetent and downright criminal our govt is, that people want to start blaming constitutional rights instead of pointing the finger at our incompetent govt.

The root of the problem is a lot easier to identify than most think. We are all on it right now.

How about you actually put social media on point to start to scan for posts like the one that this kid posted prior to the incident? They make billions of dollars a year and can immediately tell me that something I post is "inaccurate" so they are obviously watching, then why can't they set up filters for this crap and immediately notify police in the jurisdiction? Between that and people in general staying vigilant and not being afraid to call out those that they suspect are a danger to themselves or others, that's what keeps these things from happening. Don't be confused with what "gun control" means versus what you would get out of it. Gun control is a way for the government to control the other 99.99999999% of people who use guns responsibly, what they want to do it isn't going to control these situations.

How about you actually put social media on point to start to scan for posts like the one that this kid posted prior to the incident? They make billions of dollars a year and can immediately tell me that something I post is "inaccurate" so they are obviously watching, then why can't they set up filters for this crap and immediately notify police in the jurisdiction? Between that and people in general staying vigilant and not being afraid to call out those that they suspect are a danger to themselves or others, that's what keeps these things from happening. Don't be confused with what "gun control" means versus what you would get out of it. Gun control is a way for the government to control the other 99.99999999% of people who use guns responsibly, what they want to do it isn't going to control these situations.
Based on what is social media the root cause here though? I mean I get your sentiment, but this smells a whole lot like blaming Wolfenstein 3D for Columbine.

Now, what’s interesting about your post is using AI to spot anomalies and using it to detect potential psychopaths. That’s possible, but not sure AI is to the point to do that accurately. Also, raises all kinds of ethical problems.

This is so sick it’s unreal.

I’ve been trying to get news on who these kids are and what happened to them, but I can’t get it. Why? Because the left cannot stop politicizing this issue for 5 seconds in order to even present the issue at hand. One morning news anchor went on a 5 minute diatribe about gun control legislation (that wouldn’t have stopped this) and at the end of his rant, said “and we want those victims to know we’re praying for them”. Good lord people, these are kids. For people like Biden to come out immediately and scream at gun owners? People that had nothing at all to do with the shooting, and push for unnamed legislation, in order to evade his disastrous presidency and point fingers? This is the President?

We are living in a sick world and it’s got nothing to go with guns, that I can assure you.

I’ve been trying to get news on who these kids are and what happened to them, but I can’t get it. Why? Because the left cannot stop politicizing this issue for 5 seconds in order to even present the issue at hand. One morning news anchor went on a 5 minute diatribe about gun control legislation (that wouldn’t have stopped this) and at the end of his rant, said “and we want those victims to know we’re praying for them”. Good lord people, these are kids. For people like Biden to come out immediately and scream at gun owners? People that had nothing at all to do with the shooting, and push for unnamed legislation, in order to evade his disastrous presidency and point fingers? This is the President?

We are living in a sick world and it’s got nothing to go with guns, that I can assure you.
Be fair though. Can’t ignore guns play a factor here. I agree they politicize, but anger is also understandable. No one has solutions. And this story will go away in two weeks.

Reactions: MegaBlue05

Here ya go

Be fair though. Can’t ignore guns play a factor here. I agree they politicize, but anger is also understandable. No one has solutions. And this story will go away in two weeks.

We can talk about that but damn I just want to know who the kids are, how it happened, and at least hear from some family or friends in the area. Is that too much to ask the main stream media after literally 8 hours of finding out which kids lost their life? Maybe a report about the survivors and how they’re doing?

I’ve had to just cut it off. There’s no way to get news.

gun” isn’t going to work with people who know these weapons. If you want to debate it we can, but you might want to at least check the issue out further because I personally don’t argue people coming from a position of ignorance on firearms. It’s just not worth it. on firearms. It’s just not worth it. Remove the bayonet lug, flash hider, fix the stock in place, do whatever you want to do to limit the “scary” look, it’s all the same.
We continue to believe the fairy tale that these measures will curve a mass shooter. It won’t. If a guy is dead set on killing massive amounts of people, nothing you are wwsuggesting will work. And saying nuh uh when corrected on misusing gun terms won’t work either.
did you actually read my post or are you just retarded?

Based on what is social media the root cause here though? I mean I get your sentiment, but this smells a whole lot like blaming Wolfenstein 3D for Columbine.

Now, what’s interesting about your post is using AI to spot anomalies and using it to detect potential psychopaths. That’s possible, but not sure AI is to the point to do that accurately. Also, raises all kinds of ethical problems.
I didn't say social media was the reason, I simply said that they can filter these situations and notify police. In this case I wouldn't expect them to go to this kids house, but they can monitor him and/or the target if it is identified. They follow people around for a whole lot less these days. My point is that there are a lot of ways to identify potential risk which should be explored and that gun control as everyone envisions it won't fix most if not all of these situations, it's just going to handcuff the rest of the gun owners that have the right intentions and would gladly use their rights to stop this guy given then chance.

It’s hard to believe that in 2022 we still have a few people that actually think video games cause gun violence. I mean the literature is there, it’s so settled you don’t hear the old advocates still using it as a reason. Yet here I am, being told I’m retarded by a guy that cites controlling video game content as a measure to stop gun violence.

I’m telling ya, pluck two gnats off a dogs ass and more can be accomplished this day and age.

Cals right, I’m going home to walk the dogs.

Reactions: RunninRichie
It’s hard to believe that in 2022 we still have a few people that actually think video games cause gun violence. I mean the literature is there, it’s so settled you don’t hear the old advocates still using it as a reason. Yet here I am, being told I’m retarded by a guy that cites controlling video game content as a measure to stop gun violence.

I’m telling ya, pluck two gnats off a dogs ass and more can be accomplished this day and age.

Anything to do with kids is heartbreaking to me. Pure evil. Worst nightmare as a parent. What's enraging is the disingenuous assholes who constantly want to play politics who are incredibly silent when something doesn't fit their narrative.

Everyone speculates on this topic and simplifies it to "guns." There's a massive cultural issue here. Many factors involved---mental health, demographics, contributing factors to the decline of mental health, etc.

Before the 90s, school shootings were nearly non-existent. What changed? Guns were around long before that. No one wants to have those discussions because God forbid we analyze anything other than 'guns bad.' No one wants to discuss where the majority of gun violence comes from either. We want to pick and choose when we act like environment plays a factor. "Oh, this kid didn't succeed because of their environment." Big shooting happens "Environment and outside factors played no part. It's simply the gun."

Last edited:
Mental illness is a copout. Mental illness is prevalent all throughout the world, it isn't something unique to the US, yet the US is the only developed country in the world where mass shootings is an everyday thing and school shootings are a common occurrence.

A new study is questioning the mental state of mass shooters. The research, co-led by Gary Brucato, research scientist in Columbia University's Department of Psychiatry in New York City, along with his colleagues sought to gain much-needed insight into the relationship between serious mental illness and mass shootings. Creating a mass murder database involved extensive review of 14,785 murders publicly described in English in print or online, occurring worldwide between 1900 and 2019. They then analyzed 1,315 mass murders of all types that occurred worldwide. The article was published recently in the journal Psychological Medicine.

They discovered that only 11% of all mass murderers (including shooters) and only 8% of mass shooters had a serious mental illness. They also found that mass shooters in the United States were more likely to have legal histories, use recreational drugs, abuse alcohol, and have histories of non-psychotic psychiatric or neurologic symptoms.

In addition, the researchers noted that most mass shooters used non-automatic firearms. Among U.S. mass shooters, those with any psychiatric or neurologic condition were more likely to use semi-automatic guns than non-automatic guns. They also found that since 1970, the rate of mass shootings has been far higher than the rate of non-firearm mass murder, and that the vast majority of mass shootings in the world have been in the United States.
Methodology in any study tends to determine its outcome. My guess is the type of shooting we're talking about here are a small part of the "mass shootings" they studied. They also have no personal knowledge, just what was written. Until recently no one gave a damn if the killer was mentally ill. They would have described evil far more often than sickness.

Anything to do with kids is heartbreaking to me. Pure evil. Worst nightmare as a parent. What's enraging is the disingenuous assholes who constantly want to play politics who are incredibly silent when something doesn't fit their narrative.

Everyone speculates on this topic and simplifies it to "guns." There's a massive cultural issue here. Many factors involved---mental health, demographics, contributing factors to the decline of mental health, etc.

Before the 90s, school shootings were nearly non-existent. What changed? Guns were around long before that. No one wants to have those discussions because God forbid we analyze anything other than 'guns bad.' No one wants to discuss where the majority of gun violence comes from either.
Before the 90's most school shootings involved two males either fighting over a female or bullying. Very little mass shootings. Then mass shootings became the norm. It is odd.

I'd absolutely argue that violent video games have an effect on those who are mentally unstable. It's desensitizing. Does that mean that everyone who plays these games is a psycho? Nope. Not at all. For those who are mentally unstable, there's no way you can say that consuming violence and death doesn't contribute to their declining mental health. I imagine it's the same effect as the rapists who watch violent hardcore pornography.

Not a coincidence that so many mass shooters have two things in common- psych meds, big gamers. Combine that with a 24/7 news cycle that glorifies this shit and you have a cocktail of bread crumbs leading to pure evil.

Again, what changed in the 90s on for an increase in mass shootings when before that it was essentially non existent? I'd love to hear a theory because guns certainly didn't change. Media overwhelmingly changed.

Last edited:

That’s a scary thought. I have guns at home. Can you give me some insight into what I need to watch for on those guns before they go out and commit a massacre?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT