ADVERTISEMENT

Horrible Story with Cal and Hopkins

9w6jIg1.gif

If anyone wants to know why many players are better before they come here and better after they leave, here is your answer.

Cal absolutely ruins some players by not giving them a chance and by rolling with his favorites come hell or high water. Not every player of course, but enough that it has become a trend. The man's ego is an absolute problem.

Ouch, that article really stings and makes Calipari look pretty bad. We've been saying on here for a long time, if you're not one of his faves you better not make a mistake or you'll get the hook right away and be buried on the bench. Sure sounds like that's what happened to Hopkins.

Last edited:
This confirms what a lot of us have thought for a while. Cal puts way too much pressure on certain players & destroys their confidence. I think we’re seeing it in real time with Fredrick, right now. Anybody who has played under these conditions knows how hard it can be. When you’re always looking over your shoulder, as Hopkins put it, it’s impossible to play loose & get into the flow of games.

These guys are too worried about getting yanked after a mistake & they focus on not screwing up, instead of making plays. It causes guys to play tight & they revert into more of a “play not to lose” mindset. It’s obvious if you pay attention. It’s hard enough to play well, at this level, with a clear mind. But, it’s damn near impossible if you’re playing scared, with no room for error.

I’m so tired of hearing about players that transfer out. I can’t imagine Bryce genuinely envisioned a significant role last year. He had Brooks(a junior HS AA), Toppin(role player already in the program), and Collins(a recruit at his position with more pedigree).

This season Toppin and Collins were still going to be around while there was a former top 5 recruit(finished 10-15) coming in at about his size.

He made a great decision for himself and I wish we still had him due to disappointments at his position.

People will always claim to the “backup QB” guys like Bryce, Dontaie(don’t hear much about him…), Ugo, and Adou. They just aren’t very good in the time they get and there’s immense pressure to win. That doesn’t mean they won’t ever be good players especially given their past pedigrees.

If anyone wants to know why many players are better before they come here and better after they leave, here is your answer.

Cal absolutely ruins some players by not giving them a chance and by rolling with his favorites come hell or high water. Not every player of course, but enough that it has become a trend. The man's ego is an absolute problem.
Missed the game live last night traveling but watching this morning over coffee I could not believe how much screaming "move it" he was doing. How TF does he think that helps run offense?

I have said it for the last 3 years, Cal DESTROYS the 4 star players confidence by holding them to a HIGHER standard than he does his One-and-Done's or the kids that he doesn't want to hurt their "parents". I guess Bryce's "parents" were just CHOPPED LIVER!!!

Just think where we would be with Hopkins on this team doing what he has done at Providence!!!

NO EXCUSE for this Cal!!!

Essentially what many of us have been saying all along;
Nothing in that surprises me. Cal mishandled Hopkins terribly …both by stubbornly insisting on playing him at the wrong position and inexplicably giving him a ridiculously short leash. Kid never really got a fair chance here.

And that ain’t just hindsight speaking. I recall quite a few of us were saying it even as it was happening last year.

I’m so tired of hearing about players that transfer out. I can’t imagine Bryce genuinely envisioned a significant role last year. He had Brooks(a junior HS AA), Toppin(role player already in the program), and Collins(a recruit at his position with more pedigree).

This season Toppin and Collins were still going to be around while there was a former top 5 recruit(finished 10-15) coming in at about his size.

He made a great decision for himself and I wish we still had him due to disappointments at his position.

People will always claim to the “backup QB” guys like Bryce, Dontaie(don’t hear much about him…), Ugo, and Adou. They just aren’t very good in the time they get and there’s immense pressure to win. That doesn’t mean they won’t ever be good players especially given their past pedigrees.
Sackless.

Nothing in that surprises me. Cal mishandled Hopkins terribly …both by stubbornly insisting on playing him at the wrong position and inexplicably giving him a ridiculously short leash. Kid never really got a fair chance here.

And that ain’t just hindsight speaking. I recall quite a few of us were saying it even as it was happening last year.

Definitely not hindsight. Its something this board has discussed since about a month in to his time here and in any thread started about how he's playing in Providence.

Last edited:

But scouts have always raived at how well he prepares his players for the league.
The truth is somewhere in the middle..
Players get better from year 1 to year 2.
There's not a basketball player in the world that thinks they shouldn't be playing from the start.
I liked Hopkins game alot.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
It’s unacceptable to have a product on the court that is far below our typical standards. Then see someone like Bryce confirming what many of us thought. Cal has to get out of Lexington asap

I don't know if you are watching their game right now, but even though the guy is having an awful night offensively tonight, he's still doing quite well. 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal and 1 block with 0 turnovers against Xavier.

It’s unacceptable to have a product on the court that is far below our typical standards. Then see someone like Bryce confirming what many of us thought. Cal has to get out of Lexington asap
That’s pretty damning

• Haha
Reactions: Old Jim
While we have had a product below our standards lately, especially 2 of the last 3 years. We were a top 6 team the 1 year Bryce is complaining about. He would have a better case about his UK experience if he was on the 9-16 team or this year.

Reactions: Old Jim
Not news other than the fact it got into print. Only one clown in this thread says it doesn’t ring true.

ADVERTISEMENT