ADVERTISEMENT

Horrible Story with Cal and Hopkins

21 first round picks is pretty good. All had Cal’s help in getting there. All had skills before they came and were better when they left. Cal prepared them for the league
I suspect you are not nearly as uninformed as you pretend. I think you are starving for attention. You will have to get it elsewhere because I am finished with responding to your dumb posts.

If you think AD blocked Harrison Barnes to win the game you are missing why it was such an amazing play

Essentially what many of us have been saying all along;
Hopkins is not very smart for dissing Cal. His attitude is gonna go over great IF he ever makes an NBA roster.
He went to a school that will let him do what he wants, just like high school.
That's gonna really prepare him for the next level.
I've watched him play several times this year. He gets scored on a lot. He take a lot of possessions off. He also has had some good games but it looks to me like he would of benefited a lot being held accountable and forced to play a disciplined role if he wants to excel at the next level.
He will be a role player at the next level IF he makes it. Role players are told how to play and what's expected of them. Good luck Bryce the other 50 Cal players that are flourishing in the NBA say your wrong.

Hopkins is not very smart for dissing Cal. His attitude is gonna go over great IF he ever makes an NBA roster.
He went to a school that will let him do what he wants, just like high school.
That's gonna really prepare him for the next level.
I've watched him play several times this year. He gets scored on a lot. He take a lot of possessions off. He also has had some good games but it looks to me like he would of benefited a lot being held accountable and forced to play a disciplined role if he wants to excel at the next level.
He will be a role player at the next level IF he makes it. Role players are told how to play and what's expected of them. Good luck Bryce the other 50 Cal players that are flourishing in the NBA say your wrong.
NBA does not give two shits about a possible beef between Calipari and a former player. Look at some of the head cases in the league now. All the NBA cares about is winning.
I have no idea whether Hopkins will make a roster in the NBA but, if he doesn't it won't be because he went public with his problems with John Calipari. That's laughable. LOL!

Reactions: kennyskywalker34
NBA does not give two shits about a possible beef between Calipari and a former player. Look at some of the head cases in the league now. All the NBA cares about is winning.
I have no idea whether Hopkins will make a roster in the NBA but, if he doesn't it won't be because he went public with his problems with John Calipari. That's laughable. LOL!
Did you even read what I said. Allow me to clarify. Hopkins would have benefited from having a specific role where he was expected to play a certain way with discipline. Instead he transfered to a school where he can play the way HE wants to play. That's high school sh#$

Players could not be counted on to give any feedback that wasn’t tainted by negative feedback. Lack of playing time being the main topic of negativity. Hopkins is a whiner. Glad he is happier at Providence.

Running theme of negative comments by leaving players. Not hardly a steady stream.

Hopkins and Gabriel are the only two I can think of that we’re negative. Others that have left seem to be OK with their experience at UK and left for more playing time

You act like the players that left were mistreated. Cal doesn’t appear to be a coach that mistreats his players whether they are playing or not

Players that are unhappy about playing time are not chastised because they leave. They are encouraged to do what is best for themselves

players also leave because they are being recruited over on an annual basis. NIL and Transfer portal dictates roster instability. Players are not staying long enough to mature into positions so they leave for perceived greener pastures
The huge turnover at UK was happening under Calipari and well before NIL/Portal were even considerations. Some of it may have been because of lack of playing time but, what was driving that? Was it because Calipari had his "favorites" or was unduly critical of certain players? We've all noticed how certain guys over the years could literally play like crap and never get pulled out of the game while, other kids made the slightest mistake and they were never heard from again. Those discussion threads have been numerous on this board over the last 5-8 years.
Some of you are really reaching in your attempts to give cover to Calipari here. And don't get me wrong, it isn't just the Hopkins article that is attracting attention. It's a cumulative thing, Hopkins is just the most recent and seems to be willing to speak about it publicly. It's a ongoing trend/theme with Calipari.

Did you even read what I said. Allow me to clarify. Hopkins would have benefited from having a specific role where he was expected to play a certain way with discipline. Instead he transfered to a school where he can play the way HE wants to play. That's high school sh#$
You have no clue whether Hopkins is being allowed to play how HE wants to play. Ed Cooley is a pretty well respected coach. I seriously doubt he just tells Hopkins to "go out there and do what you want."

You have no clue whether Hopkins is being allowed to play how HE wants to play. Ed Cooley is a pretty well respected coach. I seriously doubt he just tells Hopkins to "go out there and do what you want."
Here's a clue "He allows me to play with freedom" direct quote

Makes Hopkins look like a punk. Take the high road. You’re at Providence not the Lakers.

However, Cal will see it and learn from it. Straight from the horse’s mouth will impact him. Never too old to learn a lesson from a former player.
He does have too quick a hook on some players.
Doubt he does, Cow is not a quick study

LOL! You obviously never played the game. Even at the high school level. No coach worth a damn says to his guys (or even a single player), "Just go out there and do what you want."
Ridiculous. LOL!
Every team has a system. A lot of high school and college players can take plays off defensively, take bad shots, be volume shooters and all sorts of things that you don't get away with at the highest level. That's what I meant. Imo instead of fighting through the discomfort of a coach wanting him to play defense, rebound and bring the intangibles, he expected to play the way HE wanted to play and get the pt he wanted. Had he fought through that imo he'd been better off. Dissing your coach when you don't get your way doesn't help either. If I'm a coach or manager who hires I would be apprehensive about bringing someone on board who was saying derogatory things about the last coach or employer. That's the way things generally work.

Every team has a system. A lot of high school and college players can take plays off defensively, take bad shots, be volume shooters and all sorts of things that you don't get away with at the highest level. That's what I meant. Imo instead of fighting through the discomfort of a coach wanting him to play defense, rebound and bring the intangibles, he expected to play the way HE wanted to play and get the pt he wanted. Had he fought through that imo he'd been better off. Dissing your coach when you don't get your way doesn't help either. If I'm a coach or manager who hires I would be apprehensive about bring someone on board who was saying derogatory things about the last coach or employer. That's the way things generally work.
You don't really follow the NBA or NFL do you?

News flash, almost every playing who leaves for playing time think they aren't being used correctly or haven't been given a chance to show what they can do. This is a mountain out of a mole hill.
Exactly correct. Brooks and Toppin were questionable at the 4 last year, and I saw nothing from Hopkins that said he was clearly better than either.

Who is John Henson?
You should give it up. You have an excuse for everything instead of just acknowledging that Cal has simply fallen way short when considering the talent he has
I suspect you are not nearly as uninformed as you pretend. I think you are starving for attention. You will have to get it elsewhere because I am finished with responding to your dumb posts.
No need to be insulting. My positions are a repudiation of your posts. Apparently, your negativity has met it’s match. Hey, I understand that you feel the way that you do because you are frustrated, but try to be positive. It helps

I’m so tired of hearing about players that transfer out. I can’t imagine Bryce genuinely envisioned a significant role last year. He had Brooks(a junior HS AA), Toppin(role player already in the program), and Collins(a recruit at his position with more pedigree).

This season Toppin and Collins were still going to be around while there was a former top 5 recruit(finished 10-15) coming in at about his size.

He made a great decision for himself and I wish we still had him due to disappointments at his position.

People will always claim to the “backup QB” guys like Bryce, Dontaie(don’t hear much about him…), Ugo, and Adou. They just aren’t very good in the time they get and there’s immense pressure to win. That doesn’t mean they won’t ever be good players especially given their past pedigrees.
2021-2022Season Stats: Hopkins

games. 28
avg minutes per game. 6.5
2fg%. 42.0
3fg%. 31.1
ft%. 53.8
reb. 1.4
asst. .3
stl. .1
to. .5
blk. .1
pf. .5
points per game avg. 2.1

these are not very good stats for Hopkins. Take out his 14 points against LSU and you can see how poor his results were as a freshman. Similar type results for all people that have left.

Hopkin’s leaving is much ado about nothing. Providence is better with him and he will never know what he could have accomplished by staying. He certainly was not going to be a volume shooter at UK

I remember when freshmen were not part of the varsity team. The played on the freshman team and settled into school work.

I don’t think all of the changes to NCAA basketball have been good changes

Last edited:
2021-2022Season Stats: Hopkins

games. 28
avg minutes per game. 6.5
2fg%. 42.0
3fg%. 31.1
ft%. 53.8
reb. 1.4
asst. .3
stl. .1
to. .5
blk. .1
pf. .5
points per game avg. 2.1

these are not very good stats for Hopkins. Take out his 14 points against LSU and you can see how poor his results were as a freshman. Similar type results for all people that have left.

Hopkin’s leaving is much ado about nothing. Providence is better with him and he will never know what he could have accomplished by staying. He certainly was not going to be a volume shooter at UK

I remember when freshmen were not part of the varsity team. The played on the freshman team and settled into school work.

I don’t think all of the changes to NCAA basketball have been good changes
Wow you really think your posts are insightful. Is that why you copy/paste them into multiple threads?

Wow you really think your posts are insightful. Is that why you copy/paste them into multiple threads?
Just tired of all the Hopkins glorifying. BTW. Just posting actual facts. Hopkins glorifying is occurring on multiple threads. The info is factual

Are you another big Hopkins fan? If you are, maybe the Providence board is open to you.

Just tired of all the Hopkins glorifying. BTW. Just posting actual facts. Hopkins glorifying is occurring on multiple threads

Are you another big Hopkins fan? If you are, maybe the Providence board is open to you.
You have yet to post a single fact. He didn't have 14 points against LSU, and throwing them out is a fictional cherrypicking tactic. Nobody's glorifying Hopkins, they're just commenting on his remarks about Cal. If you don't think it's worth discussing, then you are free to go to another thread. I don't have any particular love for Hopkins but it's instructive that nearly all the cowbois are so quick to throw him under the bus in order to defend their deity.

Reactions: UKortho
You have yet to post a single fact. He didn't have 14 points against LSU, and throwing them out is a fictional cherrypicking tactic. Nobody's glorifying Hopkins, they're just commenting on his remarks about Cal. If you don't think it's worth discussing, then you are free to go to another thread. I don't have any particular love for Hopkins but it's instructive that nearly all the cowbois are so quick to throw him under the bus in order to defend their deity.
Yes, he only had 13 points against LSU. Sorry, misread the stat sheet for all 27 games he played in. The fact is that he wasn’t a good player last year. I didn’t throw them out. I said he results were worse if they weren’t counted. I gave him credit for the points. Too bad it was the only time all year that he could produce.

If you have no particular love for Hopkins, then why do you set him up as the example of coaching mismanagement.
Don’t bash the coach when the player was unproductive.

All you have to say is that you don’t like the coach. Don’t manufacture garbage to justify your position. That’s kind of Chickensh_t

ADVERTISEMENT