ADVERTISEMENT

Horrible Story with Cal and Hopkins

Cal has done some of that with reeves. The first half of the season he’s tried to make him play the catch and shoot role only and hasn’t given freedom to be the dynamic scorer he was at Illinois state. We saw a little more freedom against Ole Miss so hopefully that stays a theme moving forward.

Grady and his “I’ll just go back to my corner now” comment when TyTy and Wheeler came back from injury is another example of how he forces players into strict roles and doesn’t want them doing anything else. Grady was phenomenal offensively in the games he was working with the ball in his hands instead of off ball only.
Grady was good before he had to take over point guard roles when TyTy and Wheeler were injured. He physically was drained and his Plantar Facyitus(?) flared up and it affected his play the rest of the season. Shooting really fell off

Not true. UK is the most represented school in the NBA. All were better for attending UK
The players you are talking about have consistently demonstrated that each of them had skills that were never shown while playing for UK. Bryce clearly described why players greatly underperform at UK when considering how well they have played in the NBA. No coach in college basketball has done so little with so much. Cal has had 21 more first round picks than KU go to the NBA and yet, Cal has managed to surrender the all-time wins to KU. That clearly tells you he isn't getting it done.

Last edited:
Grady was good before he had to take over point guard roles when TyTy and Wheeler were injured. He physically was drained and his Plantar Facyitus(?) flared up and it affected his play the rest of the season. Shooting really fell off
You should give it up. You have an excuse for everything instead of just acknowledging that Cal has simply fallen way short when considering the talent he has had to work with.

Reactions: catben
A lot of transfers have thrived getting away from Calipari

Charles Matthews
Kyle Wiltjer
Jemarl Baker
Keion Brooks
Bryce Hopkins

Cal totally restricts certain players games. Others have free reign
In no way did Jemarl Baker thrive after leaving UK. 2 years after he left he had an okay year then he got hurt and had to go to Fresno state

Toppin is our 4. You think Livingston is better as a freshman than Toppin is as a Senior?
He could spell Toppin at the 4
The lineup should be

Wallace ( when “healthy “) 28-30 mins
Reeves 38-40 mins
Fredrick 20 mins
Toppin 20-25mins
Oscar 25-30mins

Off the bench
Thiero 20 mins in place of Fredrick

Livingston 15-20 mins in place of Toppin ( play whoever is playing better more that game)

Ugo-10-15 mins sub for Oscar

Wheeler 10-12 mins a game in place of Wallace

You should give it up. You have an excuse for everything instead of just acknowledging that Cal has simply fallen way short when considering the talent he has had to work with.
I am not blaming blame on anyone. Never going to give it up. My rebuttal to you comments was not an excuse. It is a factual reason why our season diminished after our truly great blowouts of Kansas and UNC last year. Too bad we had three guards get hurt or suffer diminishing physical issues last year.

We had a really good team in the pandemic year and the season was ended prematurely

Not trying to make or make-up excuses, but offering rational reasons for what goes on with UK basketball. Am happy to have Cal recruit and coach our team

My big worry is who would come in and have thick enough skin to tolerate our negative pressures

Last edited:
Cal has done some of that with reeves. The first half of the season he’s tried to make him play the catch and shoot role only and hasn’t given freedom to be the dynamic scorer he was at Illinois state. We saw a little more freedom against Ole Miss so hopefully that stays a theme moving forward.

Grady and his “I’ll just go back to my corner now” comment when TyTy and Wheeler came back from injury is another example of how he forces players into strict roles and doesn’t want them doing anything else. Grady was phenomenal offensively in the games he was working with the ball in his hands instead of off ball only.
Reeves was reckless as hell when the season started. Cal had to reign him in. He
still shoots a little too much.His shot selection has improved and he is much
more efficient now.

Cal should have figured out a way to get him some more play. An issue he's had is a consistent theme of over "overstocking" on guys at the 4 position and then trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

This has been a common theme for several years now with gaps in '18-'19 and '19-'20, years where we only had 3 and no transfers.

Every year he has done it we've lost a guy to transfer.

'22-'23 (? xfer)
Toppin, Collins, Livingston, Ware (reality is he's played him at 4 quite a bit)

'21-'22 (Hopkins xfer)
Brooks, Toppin, Hopkins, Collins

'20-'21 (Fletcher xfer)
Jackson, Brooks, Toppin, Fletcher

'17-'18 (SKJ xfer)
PJ, Wenyen, Vanderbilt, SKJ

The reality is though in Hopkins case his stats this year are very similar to Keion's last year but KB was a better defender than Hopkins is this year statistically speaking.

Ironically when we've had 3 dominant guards we've lost the 4th or 5th guard to transfer too.

'15-'16 (Matthews xfer)
Ulis, Murray, Briscoe, Hawkins, Matthews

'18-'19 (Quade and Baker xfer)
Hagans, IQ, Herro, Quade, Baker

'19-'20 (Juzang xfer)
Hagans, IQ, Maxey, Juzang

'22-'22 (Allen xfer)
Wheeler, TyTy, Grady, Mintz, Allen

IMHO I don't blame Cal for Matthews, Juzang, Quade and Baker. Juzang got plenty of run as a freshman and who was he going to play over tbh? Matthews didn't get as much run but again, who was he playing over? Baker, mostly stemmed from EE game. Quade obviously had his chance. Allen, I blame Cal during '19-'20, but not for last year; he had his chance.

Now with the 4 spot that is just over recruiting and trying to force guys into spots they are uncomfortable with....totally on Cal. You could argue Hopkins was out of shape and behind 8 ball with early injury but we saw him play well towards EOY last year.

Part of the issue the past two years is Oscar is so dominant at the 5 none of these guys can get much run there even if that is their natural position (Ware, Ugonna) or if you'd be inclined to run them at the spot (Collins). He basically has 40 minutes for 4 guys, hence the reason he has tried to run guys like Hopkins and Livingston at the 3, even though they've looked out of sorts there mostly.

Last edited:
The sad part is Cal never learns a lesson he’s down the same road with Livingston this year. Livingston would be more suited to play the 4 but Cal forcing the issue at the 3! Damn the story sounds so familiar!

The whole robot thing makes sense too. They played like a Championship team in August when they played in the Bahamas and Cal was sitting in the stands. They were able to play free and loose. Soon as he gets back on the sidelines they play super tight or like Hopkins said “ play like robots”!
Livingston doesn't want to play the 4 and was recruited here as a 2/3 combo rather than a 3/4 combo.

Livingston doesn't want to play the 4 and was recruited here as a 2/3 combo rather than a 3/4 combo.

I've heard that too. I've also heard someone say they'd never let a player hold UK hostage again.

Since then, it has happened multiple times.

This is coming from a guy who has vigorously defended Cal.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I've heard that too. I've also heard someone say they'd never let a player hold UK hostage again.

Since then, it has happened multiple times.

This is coming from a guy who has vigorously defended Cal.
It's just a case where fans and players don't see things the same way.
Fans see other teams have success with a smaller more mobile 4 and they want Cal to implement that here.
Fans are only concerned about UK winning games
Players often have other agendas but Cal does pitch being able to play your NBA position here.

It's just a case where fans and players don't see things the same way.
Fans see other teams have success with a smaller more mobile 4 and they want Cal to implement that here.
Fans are only concerned about UK winning games
Players often have other agendas but Cal does pitch being able to play your NBA position here.
He also promotes positionless

All transfers feel unappreciated and not utilized properly. Most have the class to not air it out in public.

Not true. UK is the most represented school in the NBA. All were better for attending UK
Agree with lmdCat
The vast majority of players that went from UK to the NBA would have gone no matter the school they attended. COW didn’t get them there!
exceptions are Willie Cauley Stein and Nick Richards

If Hopkins were a isolated incident and it wasn't a running theme at UK under Calipari then, I think we could just brush this off as a bad breakup. That is NOT the case.
You know, in many jobs the employer will often conduct a exit interview with the departing employee. I'd love to see the AD's office do something like that with players who elect to transfer. For all I know, something like that may be done already. But, I would think it would almost be mandatory with the revolving door that is UK basketball.
This article is just more fuel for the fire that Calipari has to go ASAP!

If Hopkins were a isolated incident and it wasn't a running theme at UK under Calipari then, I think we could just brush this off as a bad breakup. That is NOT the case.
You know, in many jobs the employer will often conduct a exit interview with the departing employee. I'd love to see the AD's office do something like that with players who elect to transfer. For all I know, something like that may be done already. But, I would think it would almost be mandatory with the revolving door that is UK basketball.
Players could not be counted on to give any feedback that wasn’t tainted by negative feedback. Lack of playing time being the main topic of negativity. Hopkins is a whiner. Glad he is happier at Providence.

Running theme of negative comments by leaving players. Not hardly a steady stream.

Hopkins and Gabriel are the only two I can think of that we’re negative. Others that have left seem to be OK with their experience at UK and left for more playing time

You act like the players that left were mistreated. Cal doesn’t appear to be a coach that mistreats his players whether they are playing or not

Players that are unhappy about playing time are not chastised because they leave. They are encouraged to do what is best for themselves

players also leave because they are being recruited over on an annual basis. NIL and Transfer portal dictates roster instability. Players are not staying long enough to mature into positions so they leave for perceived greener pastures

Last edited:
Reactions: jjsomer
Look up how many transfers K had over his career.

The players you are talking about have consistently demonstrated that each of them had skills that were never shown while playing for UK. Bryce clearly described why players greatly underperform at UK when considering how well they have played in the NBA. No coach in college basketball has done so little with so much. Cal has had 21 more first round picks than KU go to the NBA and yet, Cal has managed to surrender the all-time wins to KU. That clearly tells you he isn't getting it done.
21 first round picks is pretty good. All had Cal’s help in getting there. All had skills before they came and were better when they left. Cal prepared them for the league

You are so tainted with you dislike of Cal that you can’t see or remember how crappy he played here except for one game. He played like a freshman with low bball IQ

If they come to UK, they are all talented. Hopkins did not prove that he deserved more playing time. He left because he thought he should be allowed to play the way he wanted instead of within the offensive scheme.
He played crappy because of two words. John Calipari.

He played crappy because of two words. John Calipari.
Not hardly. He was given multiple opportunities and he didn’t/couldn’t deliver. He did have a good game against LSU. You want to blame Cal for non production? No production…no playing time.

Cal was surprised at his talent and undermined the team to keep better players on the bench?

How absurd. Grasping at straws?
Not at all. I remember reading the article in preseason about how BH was leading the fast beak after getting rebounds and scoring. Cal was amazed and said he is going to factor in the lineup.And the rest is history. Cal being amazed tells me he didn’t even know what kind of player he was getting. Cal doesn’t scout nor does he game plan for opponents so I dont know why you would be so defensive when most on this board talk about his deficiencies. He is an awful coach.

Not hardly. He was given multiple opportunities and he didn’t/couldn’t deliver. He did have a good game against LSU. You want to blame Cal for non production? No production…no playing time.
Cal yanked him out with the first missed shot or turnover. That’s why he never played much. Why can’t you understand that? You family members will go to the mat for CCC. Amazing.

He doesn’t understand anything LMD.

Not at all. I remember reading the article in preseason about how BH was leading the fast beak after getting rebounds and scoring. Cal was amazed and said he is going to factor in the lineup.And the rest is history. Cal being amazed tells me he didn’t even know what kind of player he was getting. Cal doesn’t scout nor does he game plan for opponents so I dont know why you would be so defensive when most on this board talk about his deficiencies. He is an awful coach.
I guess you take every “coach speak” thing you hear as gospel. Cal seems to always complimenting players. He doesn’t throw them under the bus. Preseason practice is practice. Just being complimentary. He certainly didn’t lead break in games.

What does class have to do with it? Was a freshman Anthony Davis better than a senior John Henson?

Don’t our better players typically leave after 1 year, 2 years max?

Yes, I’m aware of Oscar

How many times did we hear Cal say "I have to play Bryce more"?

Just like he has said (fill in the player) dozens of times...............and then never does

Players hear that over and over and then realize he wasn't serious.

He is a joke.
Actually once and there was 2 games left in the regular season if i'm not mistaken lol.

I want change and want to win at the highest level possible. If that includes Cal or not then so be it but a bunch of you on here are a miserable bunch.

Cal should have figured out a way to get him some more play. An issue he's had is a consistent theme of over "overstocking" on guys at the 4 position and then trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

This has been a common theme for several years now with gaps in '18-'19 and '19-'20, years where we only had 3 and no transfers.

Every year he has done it we've lost a guy to transfer.

'22-'23 (? xfer)
Toppin, Collins, Livingston, Ware (reality is he's played him at 4 quite a bit)

'21-'22 (Hopkins xfer)
Brooks, Toppin, Hopkins, Collins

'20-'21 (Fletcher xfer)
Jackson, Brooks, Toppin, Fletcher

'17-'18 (SKJ xfer)
PJ, Wenyen, Vanderbilt, SKJ

The reality is though in Hopkins case his stats this year are very similar to Keion's last year but KB was a better defender than Hopkins is this year statistically speaking.

Ironically when we've had 3 dominant guards we've lost the 4th or 5th guard to transfer too.

'15-'16 (Matthews xfer)
Ulis, Murray, Briscoe, Hawkins, Matthews

'18-'19 (Quade and Baker xfer)
Hagans, IQ, Herro, Quade, Baker

'19-'20 (Juzang xfer)
Hagans, IQ, Maxey, Juzang

'22-'22 (Allen xfer)
Wheeler, TyTy, Grady, Mintz, Allen

IMHO I don't blame Cal for Matthews, Juzang, Quade and Baker. Juzang got plenty of run as a freshman and who was he going to play over tbh? Matthews didn't get as much run but again, who was he playing over? Baker, mostly stemmed from EE game. Quade obviously had his chance. Allen, I blame Cal during '19-'20, but not for last year; he had his chance.

Now with the 4 spot that is just over recruiting and trying to force guys into spots they are uncomfortable with....totally on Cal. You could argue Hopkins was out of shape and behind 8 ball with early injury but we saw him play well towards EOY last year.

Part of the issue the past two years is Oscar is so dominant at the 5 none of these guys can get much run there even if that is their natural position (Ware, Ugonna) or if you'd be inclined to run them at the spot (Collins). He basically has 40 minutes for 4 guys, hence the reason he has tried to run guys like Hopkins and Livingston at the 3, even though they've looked out of sorts there mostly.
In my opinion, Allen was recruited because he was Mr. Basketball. He was physically damaged because of his knee surgery. He was hurt in an auto accident. Had plenty of open shots, but missed. Best two games were Miss State twice. Recruited over and left for playing time. Nice young man. Had 22 points in last game at WKU

Reactions: HagginHall1999
News flash, almost every playing who leaves for playing time think they aren't being used correctly or haven't been given a chance to show what they can do. This is a mountain out of a mole hill.

Reactions: jjsomer
I guess you take every “coach speak” thing you hear as gospel. Cal seems to always complimenting players. He doesn’t throw them under the bus. Preseason practice is practice. Just being complimentary. He certainly didn’t lead break in games.
You seem confused.

ADVERTISEMENT