ADVERTISEMENT

Horrible Story with Cal and Hopkins

Reeves, OT, Toppin...it's called maturity and experience. If you think Hopkins can't play you're crazy and the league he plays in is not that much weaker than the sec except maybe for Ala.
I didn't say he can't play. He simply isn't mentally tough enough to play at Kentucky. I don't care how mature Oscar and Jacob are. The fact of the matter is both of them struggled at their old schools. They have both improved significantly at Kentucky. Cal's coaching clearly has helped them.

I didn't say you should care about his draft status. He cares about it. He probably would have been drafted if he had stayed at UK and performed well. He has made it clear that he transferred because of his concerns about covid and his family. Many of you guys refuse to accept that fact and unfairly blame Cal.
That is idiotic. He does not have the physical profile the NBA looks for, like Hopkins. He got plenty of attention at UCLA. The twins did not get drafted, or Dakari, or Poythress, or Hagans (who Cal sat him behind)...I could go on and on. Terrible argument.

Reactions: catben
Thanks Brad.
Horrible take. Not sure where you could come up with that. Hopkins was very talented and it surprised Cal and he realized some of his pets would be upset if Hopkins got their minutes. So he did the Cal thing and messed with his head until he left. Screw Cal. He can’t leave soon enough.
Cal was surprised at his talent and undermined the team to keep better players on the bench?

How absurd. Grasping at straws?

Reactions: Old Jim
Juzang just got more shots at UCLA. He was still the same inefficient player he was at UK, he just got more of an opportunity to show how inefficient he is as a player. Was he going to player over Maxey, Quickley and Hagans ah... NO !!

That is idiotic. He does not have the physical profile the NBA looks for, like Hopkins. He got plenty of attention at UCLA. The twins did not get drafted, or Dakari, or Poythress, or Hagans (who Cal sat him behind)...I could go on and on. Terrible argument.
A lot of players don't necessarily have the physical profile the NBA looks for. They make it to the league anyway.Most of the players who have transferred from UK while Cal has been there have wanted to play in the NBA. None of them have been drafted. The fact that a few Kentucky players who were considered to be top tier recruits didn't get drafted is irrelevant.
The vast majority of one-and-done recruits at Kentucky, coached by Cal, are very successful or extremely successful NBA players.

I understand the outrage. Hopkins is shining in Providence and sucked for UK last season.

1. Hopkins by his own words admits that he didn't think playing for Calipari was the best fit for him. However, those close to him talked him into it.
2. He came to UK and it was clear that it wasn't the best fit. He couldn't shine under Calipari's system. He didn't take to Calipari's coaching.
3. He made the right decision for him and transferred to a school where he was more comfortable playing.

The article definitely screams that Calipari can't coach every player. I'm not sure I would be very good at someone screaming and pushing and pulling me off the court after every mistake. It is probably the reason he misses on a lot of high-level recruits. On the flip side, there are a lot of former players that speak highly of Calipari's coaching...for various reasons.

It's impossible to be the perfect coach for every player and, in the end, the player has to make the right decision for their future. Whether it's an indictment on Calipari the coach, I don't know. There are lots of other X's and O's reason to doubt Calipari's coaching.

Hopkins seems like that sensitive kid that needs to be coddled. I guess Ed Cooley is the right guy for him. Hopefully, it works out for him in the long run. I wish him nothing but the best.
Joe B Hall also had a quick hook for players that did not execute or were hurting the team with their play. If a player is not adding to the game success, then they do need to be pulled. Hopkins didn’t earn the playing time. LSU game is the only game anyone can use to justify their position. Enough said on the Hopkin’s contribution

I am not making excuses for Cal here but I do think it takes a mentally tough kid to play for him.
Kids like Bam, Fox, Wall and even kids that came off the bench like Hawkins and Miller just was not bothered by him. Some kids just cannot handle getting yelled at and they cower in a corner and transfer.

That said, I have always thought Cal makes his players play scared. At Ole MIss I heard him scream move it and Reeves turned the ball over, and I think Cal was happier he turned it over instead of holding it.
He is just an odd dude that probably will not change at this point.

Lastly I agree he went to an easier conference with more volume, and in my opinion getting drafted there he is going to have to be better than he is now. Like SUPER star lvl where he could have just been good here and gotten drafted.
You think Cal was happy that he turned the ball over? That is non-sense. Cal does yell at lot, but, he is giving direction on what he wants done, how he wants them to play and at the referees. He is is loud and every player that comes here has been to games practices and had conversations with current team members. They come because they want to be coached by Cal.

A lot of players don't necessarily have the physical profile the NBA looks for. They make it to the league anyway.Most of the players who have transferred from UK while Cal has been there have wanted to play in the NBA. None of them have been drafted. The fact that a few Kentucky players who were considered to be top tier recruits didn't get drafted is irrelevant.
The vast majority of one-and-done recruits at Kentucky, coached by Cal, are very successful or extremely successful NBA players.
You keep talking NBA and OAD when the point he is not keeping productive talented players in the program which you have to do to win now. A big part is that he values athleticism over skill in recruiting and playing time and NBA covets those guys as well and they leave too early. He did not see Hopkins as a 4, not enough length. You could tell he was not high on Juzang because he sat him for every mistake while Hagans got full reign. His job, which he is highly compensated for, is to build strong teams by recruiting the right skills and developing them which again includes keeping players engaged. I really hope it doesn't happen again with Thiero. His recognition and prioritization of skill is the number one issue plaguing the program.

For all the people who say “fans are hurting recruiting !” “this message board hurts recruiting!”
“Players don’t want to come here because of the pressure the fans out on them!” And even CCC himself saying “it’s getting harder to play here!”
This article does 10,0000000 times more damage than any of the above mentioned stuff, because it comes straight from a player who came here and struggled with CCC, then left and flourished.

It's amazing. Kentucky has won 5 of it's last 6 games and many of you guys are still ranting and raving against Cal.
Not nearly as amazing that people like you are still shilling for him despite:

*Going 22-25 vs. Power 5 non-conf. teams since 2015
*Going 20-35 vs. AP Top 25 teams since 2015
*Going 7-18 vs. AP Top 10 teams since 2015
*Going to zero Final Fours since 2015

Reactions: lakercat and catben
Juzang made the right decision to leave UK and the wrong decision to stay at UCLA after his incredible tournament run. The next step for Hopkins will be better fitness to hopefully lose 10-15 lbs. and have a much better shot at the next level.

You keep talking NBA and OAD when the point he is not keeping productive talented players in the program which you have to do to win now. A big part is that he values athleticism over skill in recruiting and playing time and NBA covets those guys as well and they leave too early. He did not see Hopkins as a 4, not enough length. You could tell he was not high on Juzang because he sat him for every mistake while Hagans got full reign. His job, which he is highly compensated for, is to build strong teams by recruiting the right skills and developing them which again includes keeping players engaged. I really hope it doesn't happen again with Thiero. His recognition and prioritization of skill is the number one issue plaguing the program.
He doesn't keep productive players in the program. I'm sorry, isn't Oscar a productive player? Isn't Toppin a productive player? Wheeler, despite his flaws, is a productive player. Hopkins, despite his talent, was not a productive player last year.
Cal made it clear that he considered him to be an important player for Kentucky's future. He should have known he had a chance to be a starter if he stayed another year.
He simply did not have enough confidence to come back and compete against Toppin and Collins. He simply lacks the confidence and toughness necessary to be successful at Kentucky.

• Haha
Not nearly as amazing that people like you are still shilling for him despite:

*Going 22-25 vs. Power 5 non-conf. teams since 2015
*Going 20-35 vs. AP Top 25 teams since 2015
*Going 7-18 vs. AP Top 10 teams since 2015
*Going to zero Final Fours since 2015
This team is not as talented as most of Cal's teams at UK have been. It is a good team. It is not a great team. It is more talented than I gave it credit for being months ago. It is still a flawed team that will be hard pressed to win more than 1 or 2 games in the NCAA Tournament.

At UK all his games were poor except LSU. And you thought he should get 30 minutes a game because he was so great. You need to go back and review all his games.
I thought he should get minutes because the person(s) playing ahead of him were underwhelming. He had more potential than brooks to give us something good at the 4, and didn't get the chance to show it.

More players have done worse after leaving UK than have played better. Not everyone can play here.

Per 40:

Toppin: 16-9-3 45%/21%/67%

Hopkins: 19/11/3 47%/33%/75%

Hopkins is the primary option on the team, Toppin is probably 4th at best.

We need to start looking at stats with context when discussing players. Hopkins would not have the stats he has now if he still played for UK. Of course, his numbers would look good when he is the primary option.

Funny it didn’t say anything about pressure from fans or message boards. If there’s one thing CCC is great at it’s taking confidence away from players. Players thrive and come here and struggle. Then other players struggle here and then leave and thrive.
Time for a change.
Exactly. Cal needs to simply look in the mirror to find out what is making it harder to play at UK.

Joe B Hall also had a quick hook for players that did not execute or were hurting the team with their play. If a player is not adding to the game success, then they do need to be pulled. Hopkins didn’t earn the playing time. LSU game is the only game anyone can use to justify their position. Enough said on the Hopkin’s contribution
It was obvious to anyone with eyes ( besides Cal and his blind worshippers) that Hopkins a) had talent and b) was being played out of position. It’s not a coincidence that the guy looks bad at UK and then is an all big-east player a year after getting away from Calipari.

Comparing Cal to a guy who coached 40 years ago sounds right actually. He still has that mindset. The rest of the world has evolved. You have to let talented young people work through mistakes sometimes. That’s how they learn. Everything Cal does is from a bygone era and it’s hurting the program.

I love how UK fans complain about kids that won't fight through competition, and then goes some where there is no competition and they succeed, they blame it on UK. There is competition here. These kids can always go somewhere they will be the best player. If they want to compete against the best, they come to UK. Someone loses every competition. I hope the kid the best, but he lost the competition here.

It’s not like Providence pulls 13 guys from the stands. They are D1 kids who have their team ranked.

Far too often the competition at UK is stacked against them. Cal has said himself he gives the higher rated kids a longer leash. They get more of a chance because of a preconceived idea Cal has about them versus the Hopkins of the world. Not driven by on court performance. Need proof for this year just look at Reeves. Cal didn’t think he could play D so very limited playing time at first.

Why if you only have 4 years would you want to spend 75% of it fighting against Cal’s perceptions?

I went over to the Cintas Center last night to watch Xavier play Providence. My dad is a Xavier grad, so I root for them and enjoy their arena.

Anyway, Hopkins is not impressive. He whines, cries, pouts, bitches about every call and pouts. And he stands around A LOT. Like a whole lot. If he doesnt have the ball, he is standing in the corner, hands on hips or knees, not moving, not trying to get open. He's a bull for sure, has put on some good weight and bullies guys, extremely thick. But I do not think his attitude would cut it at UK.

He was abused on the defensive end by Nunge and Jones and he finished 3 for 14 from the field with nearly all of those shots being right at the rim.

His attitude and antics made me compare him to a really, really poor mans Draymond Green. I despise Cal with the heat of a million suns, but I have zero regret that Bryce Hopkins is not a UK player. Good riddance.

Reactions: SkyPrince1
How is he destroying CJs confidence?
At first he didn’t play, is now starting and playing poorly.
Cal sucks a lot, at many things… hut he has given CJ every chance this season. Fans screamed about seeing CJ… now same fans want him playing less and Cal is destroying his confidence…

We have a huge coach problem and he needs to go. Now

Worse problem…We have ignorant, stupid, hypocritical fans that we are stuck with forever

Good afternoon
We definitely have tons of assholes on this board who can’t disagree without weak insults. IMO, when CJ wasn’t playing, I think that hurt his confidence some. But, mostly, I think Cal puts too much pressure on him to make shots. Simple as that. He screams at the top of his lungs to shoot half the time when CJ catches the ball, whether he’s open, or, not. That leads to uncomfortable shots & floor time. You don’t think shit like that can get in a player’s head?! All I know is the kid shot 47% from 3 over two full seasons, but, can’t throw it in the ocean, here. Don’t have to be Copernicus to see that, dick.

We definitely have tons of assholes on this board who can’t disagree without weak insults. IMO, when CJ wasn’t playing, I think that hurt his confidence some. But, mostly, I think Cal puts too much pressure on him to make shots. Simple as that. He screams at the top of his lungs to shoot half the time when CJ catches the ball, whether he’s open, or, not. That leads to uncomfortable shots & floor time. You don’t think shit like that can get in a player’s head?! All I know is the kid shot 47% from 3 over two full seasons, but, can’t throw it in the ocean, here. Don’t have to be Copernicus to see that, dick.
Maybe because earlier CJ was “never” shooting and fans were clamoring for more threes.
Hmmmmmm. He doesn’t let shoot, now puts to much pressure on him shoot.
LolfenningL

Andrew Harrison and Dakari Johnson were both drafted in the second round of the 2015 NBA draft.

The sad part is Cal never learns a lesson he’s down the same road with Livingston this year. Livingston would be more suited to play the 4 but Cal forcing the issue at the 3! Damn the story sounds so familiar!

The whole robot thing makes sense too. They played like a Championship team in August when they played in the Bahamas and Cal was sitting in the stands. They were able to play free and loose. Soon as he gets back on the sidelines they play super tight or like Hopkins said “ play like robots”!

Hagans and Juzang played different positions. Juzang couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn with his shots until very late in the season when he became a little more consistent

The sad part is Cal never learns a lesson he’s down the same road with Livingston this year. Livingston would be more suited to play the 4 but Cal forcing the issue at the 3! Damn the story sounds so familiar!

The whole robot thing makes sense too. They played like a Championship team in August when they played in the Bahamas and Cal was sitting in the stands. They were able to play free and loose. Soon as he gets back on the sidelines they play super tight or like Hopkins said “ play like robots”!
Toppin is our 4. You think Livingston is better as a freshman than Toppin is as a Senior?

A lot of transfers have thrived getting away from Calipari

Charles Matthews
Kyle Wiltjer
Jemarl Baker
Keion Brooks
Bryce Hopkins

Cal totally restricts certain players games. Others have free reign
Three of those player were freshmen at UK and did play better as sophomores at other schools. They may have played just as good at UK in their sophomore year. Biggest growth is between freshman and sophomore year

A lot of transfers have thrived getting away from Calipari

Charles Matthews
Kyle Wiltjer
Jemarl Baker
Keion Brooks
Bryce Hopkins

Cal totally restricts certain players games. Others have free reign
BS. Everyone has a role in Cal’ teams. Keep digging for lame accusations

Three of those player were freshmen at UK and did play better as sophomores at other schools. They may have played just as good at UK in their sophomore year. Biggest growth is between freshman and sophomore year
May-haves are what Cal provides us most of the time. Cal has no history making players better than they were before they arrived. If anything, it is just the opposite.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKortho
Cal has done some of that with reeves. The first half of the season he’s tried to make him play the catch and shoot role only and hasn’t given freedom to be the dynamic scorer he was at Illinois state. We saw a little more freedom against Ole Miss so hopefully that stays a theme moving forward.

Grady and his “I’ll just go back to my corner now” comment when TyTy and Wheeler came back from injury is another example of how he forces players into strict roles and doesn’t want them doing anything else. Grady was phenomenal offensively in the games he was working with the ball in his hands instead of off ball only.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT