ADVERTISEMENT

Homegrown Players are the Heart and Soul of Kentucky Basketball

I wonder how many times we haven't had a Kentucky boy on the team?
But I'm not too concerned. We have had many Kentucky guys walk on and
become key players...

Those Kentucky boys that make it on the roster and end up playing in the gym that a lot of us grew up dreaming about playing in have an endearing quality about them that is lost on some of the other guys. I have absolutely enjoyed the years we've had Calipari, but having a Bluegrass Boy on the roster is special.
If there's one in the state worth having, Cal will seek him out

Reactions: westerncat
I was recently looking at our '58 championship roster and found it interesting that of the 14 players only two were not from kentucky.
I'm not complaining, though it's always nice to have ky guys on the team.

It is a 'nice to have' when you have it. But if there aren't talented players from KY wanting to play from KY, there's not much you can do about that.

I just went through the Rivals top 150 from each of the past 4 years (so 600 players), and the only KY players I found were:
- 2017 none
- 2016, #75, Q.Goodin from Campbellsville, went to Xavier
- 2015, #63, R.Spalding from Louisville, went to UL
- 2015, #73, A.Holman from Owensboro, went to Miss. St.
- 2015, #122, C.Justice from Knott Co., went to Vandy
- 2014, #33, Q.Snyder from Louisville, went to Louisville
- 2014, #139, K.Martin from Louisville, went to Butler
That is 6 out of 600. Meanwhile my state of residency has that many top 30 (so out of 120) players.
From that list, we probably would not have gotten Snyder or Spalding away from UL (their local school)
Martin would have been a good one to get/add.
Holman & Goodin might have been ok at the end of the bench.
But none of these except maybe Snyder would have looked at our team and thought they would play much their first couple of years.

And you aren't going to convince me that even a lifelong die-hard Kentucky grown UK fan kid will give any more effort than did Fox or Ulis.

That's almost as ridiculous as him fawning over every 18 year old female that grants him an interview. Dude is creepier than GhostVol posting about a 12 year olds bosom in his face.

ADVERTISEMENT