ADVERTISEMENT

Home Improvement and House Projects

-durabond 45.

-buy a metal square patch from the drywall aisle...fill the hole with insulation if you wish.

-laminating plaster with 1/4" drywall is a great fix...but pay attention to your trim profiles...may make more trouble.

-for fixing lots of cracks in a plaster wall and not screwing up trim details...glidwall is a helluva a product...but there is a learning curve.
Go ahead and get a bag of the Durabond 20.....it will put some pep in your step......once you understand you better be ready to use as soon as it is mixed..... 🙄

You all don’t think I can seal the metal seams and cut out the rotted area and replace it with some wood pieces somehow? Don’t really know how I would be able to anchor the wood replacement pieces if that was an option.

yeah, you can. Those soffit boards aren’t likely going to be longer than 8ft.

I would say find the seam and replace it there.
It is just a little rough carpentry and then paint. One story or two?

You all don’t think I can seal the metal seams and cut out the rotted area and replace it with some wood pieces somehow? Don’t really know how I would be able to anchor the wood replacement pieces if that was an option.
It will look like shit if you try to piecemeal the facial together. You can definitely seal the gutter seams, but that won't fix the existing rot.

Are the seams at the corner, or do you have them along the run too?

Speaking of gutters I think I’ll be replacing mine this year, anyone know a ballpark of what to budget before I get quotes? About 100ft, 6 downspouts, 1 corner, and all on one level except for about 18 ft on our sunroom addition.

Speaking of gutters I think I’ll be replacing mine this year, anyone know a ballpark of what to budget before I get quotes? About 100ft, 6 downspouts, 1 corner, and all on one level except for about 18 ft on our sunroom addition.
It's been a couple of years since I've priced gutters. But probably around $6-8 per ft of gutter, downspout, and elbow at retail and depending on your options.

Will you be adding gutter guards? What size gutter? 5”? 6”?

Depends on how good the salesman is probably because I have no clue. [laughing]

We have 5 inch aluminum without guards right now so I’m use to going on the roof and cleaning them out, they’re just old.

Seams on the corner
To do it right, if your facia is rotting, you'll need to take the whole gutter down and replace the facia. If you want yo do it yourself rather than pay a crew with a metal brake to do it, then you can use a composite material for the facia. Either wrapping or rot free material will prevent you from ever having yo do it again.

The gutter can be sealed up with some gutter silicone from the inside to keep it looking neat.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
Yep, you can get facia board at Lowes that is pvc. If you don't want to pay someone to wrap it.

Any thoughts on if supporting beams for stairs to an unfinished basement need to be drilled into the concrete floor?

-im sure Simpson or someone makes something that would work. Essentially a 4"x4" steel angle...4-6" long. Predrilled holes for wood screws on one leg and a bigger hole for a wedge anchor(goes in concrete)on the other leg.

Ive used this to anchor exterior shear-wall studs to concrete, same principal:

Last edited:
Any tips for filling cracks and sealing an exposed aggregate driveway?
Get some concrete caulk. Quickcrete makes some that will be available at any hardware store. You can also go to a masonry supply shop and get their brand, which will probably be cheaper and definitely better.

I would definitely recommend getting a sealer from the supply shop. I've not been impressed with the sealers at lowes/HD.

Get some concrete caulk. Quickcrete makes some that will be available at any hardware store. You can also go to a masonry supply shop and get their brand, which will probably be cheaper and definitely better.

I would definitely recommend getting a sealer from the supply shop. I've not been impressed with the sealers at lowes/HD.
Awesome thanks. Do you think the masonry supply store will have some rocks that I can put in the caulk to try and match the rest of the exposed aggregate?

Is using a clear sealer verse a colored/tinted just a matter of personal preference or are there any functionality considerations?

You won't be able to match the exposed aggregate short of tearing out and repouring.

Yes, color tint vs clear is a matter of preference.

Honda makes great motors. People worry too much about psi and not enough about gpm when they buy pressure washers. You need the psi to remove stains, but without the gpm it will take forever.

Honda makes great motors. People worry too much about psi and not enough about gpm when they buy pressure washers. You need the psi to remove stains, but without the gpm it will take forever.

How much GPM would you recommend as a minimum for a pressure washer to just use around the house for washing the deck, gutters, etc.?

Thanks! Great thread!

The corners/seams on a my gutters have leaked in a few places and rotted the wood below it. Any thoughts on how to repair? Am I going to have to replace the entire piece of wood or can a do some type of cut out on the rotted section?
My buddy had this problem, only he has a buddy thats a carpenter for 30 years... me. It's doable... cutting out and replacing. That's what I did for him. But a little beyond the skill set, and tool collection of most Diy'ers. Easiest is to just take down the gutters, and replace the whole board. Watch for ants, and other vermin. Our downspouts in florida got clogged and i was cleaning them out with my hand... fireants!!! They didn't sting me too bad. Professional courtesy i guess.

Reactions: 80 Proof
I see a lot of advice being given out with not enough details. Ie] the stringer supports into concrete. Take all advice as just best guess. And assume responsibility if something goes wrong.

The most common question I get as a contractor is "Can you....?" And my response while might piss some customers off is the truth. "We can do what ever you want as long as you can afford it."

Most home repair is simple, logical, and straight forward. Sit down. Think through the problem. Think of how much time and effort you are willing to put into a project. Would your time be better spent doing something else? And obviously your skill level.

Don't buy the $500 dual bevel mitre saw if you're just putting trim around a doorframe. Unless you're like me, and you "need" a sliding compound bevel mitre saw.

Guys nowdays have it so easy. I had to learn the oldfashioned way. If you can install crownmold with just a regular compound mitre saw, salute brother!!

How much GPM would you recommend as a minimum for a pressure washer to just use around the house for washing the deck, gutters, etc.?

Thanks! Great thread!
The more the better, just balance it against your budget. They will all work, some will just work better/faster.

The most common question I get as a contractor is "Can you....?" And my response while might piss some customers off is the truth. "We can do what ever you want as long as you can afford it."
Almost exactly what I say.

Q: "Can you do this?"

A: If you have the time and money we can do pretty much anything.

Any of y’all recommend a drywall person in bardstown/ shepherdsville/etown area (I’m in Lebanon Junction). Got about 1,00 sq ft ceiling that I want the texture knocked off and finished smooth.

Stained my deck last summer. Went well, but I noticed some paint chipping on the floor boards (rails and spindles are mostly fine). I think my mistake was doing it in the dead of summer and in 90 degree weather.

I want to apply another coat either this fall or next spring. Do I need to power wash off the first coat? Or can I just wash the deck and hit it with a 2nd coat?

I've power washed decks before, but thats after like 8 to 10 years, before staining again. Hoping I can avoid that and just slop on another coat.

If I ever have another deck made of 2 x 6 I'll rip it up and replace it with the vinyl deck planks. Pressure wash in 15 minutes when it needs it and never worry about painting, chipping, sanding, bowing etc.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
If I ever have another deck made of 2 x 6 I'll rip it up and replace it with the vinyl deck planks. Pressure wash in 15 minutes when it needs it and never worry about painting, chipping, sanding, bowing etc.

Agreed. I inhereited this deck, not too big, but the whole process of cleaning, powerwashing and staining was a pain.

Which is unfortunately, because nothing beats a well maintained wood deck.. they just look better than the vinyl decks.. but the maintenance sucks.

If your gas heater is blowing cold air, there will be an L shaped flame sensor that just needs to have the crud lightly sanded off it. No need to get taken by a repairman.

Replacing toilets is incredibly simple. Upgrade all your own and replace that wax seal. Very easy to do. You can replace every one in your house in a day by yourself.

Sinks, faucets, garbage disposals are all easy to fix/replace yourself.

Replace the blades on your mowers yourself. Simple.

Nice high end washer that lasted 3 years with no problems suddenly sat there full of water doing nothing. Ordered a new water pump online and replaced myself and it worked perfectly. Very easy fix.

I like tinkering so while it is very easy to just pay somebody (which is what I do for most things) there are a lot of things that if I can do myself I enjoy the satisfaction of getting it done. Not really a money thing. I don't like paying somebody to do something I can do myself and know I did it correctly.

Reactions: kyeric
ADVERTISEMENT